Jump to content
waylander

Rodgers due respect

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Dames said:

 

I think part of why people are struggling to warm to him as much as other managers is the fact that deep down we all know this is a marriage of convenience. Rodgers will always have his eye on the bigger jobs and for the most part we are happy with that as long as when he leaves us he leaves us in a good position. 

They all are, any perception that a manager is here for some reason, is just eye of the beholder stuff

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dames said:

I don’t think its a case of disliking him, not from my perspective but for a manager of his supposed calibre and what we are paying, we should be expecting more from him. 
 

Sometimes he delivers and gets lauded, other times he doesn't and gets criticised. 

It definitely is in some cases. Plenty had made their minds up about him from the second we were first linked i.e. he's an arrogant snake oil salesman. Some of the stuff that gets laid at his door without any evidence whatsoever is incredible. He's responsible for everything that goes wrong - injuries, our inactivity in January, the supposed weak mentality of our players, Wilf doing starjumps in the box to block shots. Granted it's definitely a minority who think this way and I guess when they constantly jump on every little failure week after week it seems as though they're more numerous than they are.

 

I think in the main he has delivered and the scale of the job he's done/doing is largely underappreciated. For the second season running we're in contention for the Champions League places, competing with and in some cases beating clubs with far greater resources and deeper squads, despite a mountain of injuries and some pretty glaring deficiencies in the squad. He's certainly not beyond criticism but I'd say he's got us punching above our weight, sometimes significantly so. The idea that he is somehow underperforming or in some way holding us back from achieving our true potential is, in my opinion, absurd.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s no question Rodgers has done brilliantly since being here. You can’t blame him for injuries as he’s stated we’re struggling. 
However I couldn’t understand going 1 up today and our tactics were play on the break and sit back against a side who are not great defensively. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dames said:

We could have player our best 11 like Arsenal did and then play the ‘reserves’ in the league game. 
 

Instead we did the opposite and still lost. The team being knackered isn’t an excuse, they are professional athletes with access to some of the best facilities in the world, with the rest some of them got in midweek they should have been better prepared for today. 
 

Most other teams are in the same boat as us for fixtures, yes some have bigger squads and less injuries but tiredness should not be an excuse.

Even if we won the squad couldn't cope with another two games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Marriage of convenience my arse.

 

You know as well as I do that if a job came up that he deemed bigger he’d be off. I think most of us are okay with that provided we continue the way we have. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dames said:

We could have player our best 11 like Arsenal did and then play the ‘reserves’ in the league game. 
 

Instead we did the opposite and still lost. The team being knackered isn’t an excuse, they are professional athletes with access to some of the best facilities in the world, with the rest some of them got in midweek they should have been better prepared for today. 
 

Most other teams are in the same boat as us for fixtures, yes some have bigger squads and less injuries but tiredness should not be an excuse.

Do you think people would've accepted playing the reserves today? Of course not. Ideally we'd play the same 14/16 in every game but it won't happen.

 

Form wise we're doing ok. In the last six games we've got the same points total as Man United. We've had a bad week. We need a result on Wednesday to settle things down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dames said:

You know as well as I do that if a job came up that he deemed bigger he’d be off. I think most of us are okay with that provided we continue the way we have. 

Disagree. Think he will be here for another 2 years minimum. Top needs to give him some funds in the summer though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We can’t right him off after two bad results. Especially not in a season which is weird as it is. I’ll be the first to admit I disagreed with his tactics today. However, his overall job and his tactical wins outweigh games like this. I’ll still class Brendan as a top manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I always think people who say tiredness or fatigue can never be used as an excuse, have most likely never played any form of competitive sport 

I agree. This season is relentless, the fact the games are played in empty lifeless soulless stadiums certainly doesn’t help either. At least 13 games left, then the bloody Euro’s.   It never ends! There should be a 2 week break in January. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Corky said:

Do you think people would've accepted playing the reserves today? Of course not. Ideally we'd play the same 14/16 in every game but it won't happen.

 

Form wise we're doing ok. In the last six games we've got the same points total as Man United. We've had a bad week. We need a result on Wednesday to settle things down.

I think if we won midweek people would be more accepting of it. We know we aren’t going to win the league this season so why not give the cup a proper go. Its just going to be a case of what might have been. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I appreciate we don't get European football every season but we're in a great position in the league to ensure we get it next season, too. Consistency in qualifying for European football each season will only serve us better for the future. I'd love to think we'd be in a better position to handle Europe next season should we qualify. And by that, I mean hopefully a decent transfer window, a proper pre-season and a less hectic schedule to cram in with no COVID-impacted football.

 

I think the 2nd bit is a bit presumptuous. Even if it is the case, why should that stop anyone trying to back him and getting the best out of him while he's here?

 

Could the same not be said of some players in that scenario - Fofana, Youri, Ricardo, Soyuncu. Is it not a 'marriage of convenience' for them to be here and be ambitious enough to want to go to bigger clubs?

I don’t think it stops people backing but with someone as openly ambitious as Rodgers who apparently left his dream job to manage us people will always be a bit skeptical when they are so invested in the club. 
 

It is also exactly the same with players. Look how Mahrez is regarded by some of our fanbase despite being a huge huge part of delivering the impossible. The same can be said for Drinkwater and to a smaller extent, Kante. Players who contributed less like Maguire and Chilwell are also poorly regarded by a lot of fans. 
 

I think it goes a way to explaining some of the attitudes towards Rodgers for sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Disagree. Think he will be here for another 2 years minimum. Top needs to give him some funds in the summer though. 

 

If a bigger club offered him a job he'd be gone quicker than he left Celtic. And that's OK. It's definitely a marriage of convenience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Koke said:

 

If a bigger club offered him a job he'd be gone quicker than he left Celtic. And that's OK. It's definitely a marriage of convenience. 

Mr Optimism strikes again lol

 

Agree to disagree. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pro Rodgers and to my knowledge nobody is saying Rodgers Out. He gets heaps of praise when he get things right which he has done a lot. So it'd be nice if people were allowed to criticise him when he gets things wrong or loses games he shouldn't.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Koke said:

I'm pro Rodgers and to my knowledge nobody is saying Rodgers Out. He gets heaps of praise when he get things right which he has done a lot. So it'd be nice if people were allowed to criticise him when he gets things wrong or loses games he shouldn't.

You are allowed. You have been doing so all day. No bans here for criticising. Keep going and enjoy! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

You are allowed. You have been doing so all day. No bans here for criticising. Keep going and enjoy! 

 

No. But people like you are getting on folks backs all day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...