Jump to content
Line-X

Things that you have done that most people probably haven't

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

It was Paul Kantner. I was working as a courier in San Francisco,  and delivered a package to his house (nice place overlooking the Pacific).

He picked up on my accent and talked about playing at the DeMontfort Hall. Really nice bloke - we ended up sitting on his patio,  smoking and shooting the breeze for most of the afternoon. 

Was sad to hear about his death fairly recently. 

Intelligent and thoughtful man.

This is brilliant. 

 

Sadly Marty Balin also passed away recently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Line-X said:

This is brilliant. 

 

Sadly Marty Balin also passed away recently. 

Thanks. Didn't know about Balin, and just looked him up.

Sadly seem to have been some medical issues towards the end. 

As I said, Paul Kantner struck me as a really nice bloke. Very SF - open-minded, liberal and fair. Got great memories of the place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Thanks. Didn't know about Balin, and just looked him up.

Sadly seem to have been some medical issues towards the end. 

As I said, Paul Kantner struck me as a really nice bloke. Very SF - open-minded, liberal and fair. Got great memories of the place. 

I know it well - although having stayed in Tenderloin for a few months I can confidently say that there are substantially more salubrious parts of the city. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I know it well - although having stayed in Tenderloin for a few months I can confidently say that there are substantially more salubrious parts of the city. 

Yes,  my mate lived on Turk round there. I lived in Lower Haight and also in the Mission for a while, so I saw another side to the town than the usual tourist traps.

It could get a bit salty, but I loved the place! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Did she punch you?

The events were unconnected, albeit around the same time, although when she name checked "my good friend John Inman" to the bloke behind the bar, I'm confident everyone present wanted to pull their own teeth out

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 06:45, Sly said:

Got asked to marry the daughter of a dodgy Russian, so she could get a British passport (It was her father who asked).
 

Lent on a bar in the Czech Republic, causing the entire thing to collapse. I was the only person who could speak English. This was awkward. 
 

Played football at the Nou Camp. Lost to Olympiakos. I hardly touched the ball.

Took 147 aeroplane flights in year, which would have been okay, however I’m not a pilot / cabin crew.

 

Lived in a hotel in Northern Ireland for 6 months. 
 

Been on an aeroplane when it has an engine fire (mid air). Had to make an emergency landing in Greenland and I’d flown in shorts. Bloody freezing! 

 

Played (lost again) against the West Ham youth team that had Carrick, Cole, Kirkland etc Cole was truly brilliant. 

 

Swallowed a pound coin and had to go for an X Ray. All rather embarrassing, as when I arrived, they said they were expecting a small child. 


Taken a Mexican Billionaire clothes shopping in Burtons Coalville, after he’d lost his baggage on a flight into Birmingham. Why I choose Coalville, I’ll never know! 

 

BC7B1CAE-9ABB-4CFA-AA81-D39F3C349952.png

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 00:23, Wolfox said:

How bizarre…. I’ve never met anyone else who had that

 

i was very young (nine?) and not hospitalised…. I remember waking up one morning and couldn’t move properly….  I remember sliding myself on my arse down the stairs to go and tell my mum I couldn’t move properly…

 

It’s the strangest thing to try and explain to anyone who hasn’t had it…. My local GP spotted it, otherwise it would easily have gone undiagnosed and I wouldn’t have had the right treatment…

I hope you are fully recovered! 

 

Markus Babbel the Liverpool player had it - here is an account of his experience, https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/aug/10/newsstory.sport

It affects 2 people per 100,000 per year. 10% cannot walk again and 10% die. Some people unfortunately develop chronic symptoms, 

All I was left with was some nerves in my face knocked out so I count myself fortunate and lived to see the greatest era in LCFC's history... which still continues!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 06:45, Sly said:

 

Swallowed a pound coin and had to go for an X Ray. All rather embarrassing, as when I arrived, they said they were expecting a small child. 


Taken a Mexican Billionaire clothes shopping in Burtons Coalville, after he’d lost his baggage on a flight into Birmingham. Why I choose Coalville, I’ll never know! 

Did the coin come from a Rhinosaurus, backside ?

Was the Mexican Carlos Slim, as you would have no problem with the smaller sizes in Burtons?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lcfcdannyboy said:

Got well stoned and made a toastie with galaxy minstrels in the toastie maker. Bit into it and got a jet on molten chocolate to the throat. Never again 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Red Squirrel said:

I hope you are fully recovered! 

 

Markus Babbel the Liverpool player had it - here is an account of his experience, https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/aug/10/newsstory.sport

It affects 2 people per 100,000 per year. 10% cannot walk again and 10% die. Some people unfortunately develop chronic symptoms, 

All I was left with was some nerves in my face knocked out so I count myself fortunate and lived to see the greatest era in LCFC's history... which still continues!

 

 

Wow…. That was an interesting read…

 

Fortunately my experience was nothing like that as I was so young, I managed to adapt my body to keep moving (I developed a weird walking technique!)…. I have been left with zero side affects and made a full and fast recovery…

 

i knew it was something quite serious but never really looked at it again (never put it in google even) until you mentioned it in your post….  I had more or less forgotten about it…. It appears I was very fortunate 

 

it was scary enough to get it in the way I had it…. I couldn’t imagine what it was like for you…. Delighted to read that you made a good recovery too!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 07:03, Blue Fox 72 said:

Went to all 42 LCFC home and away league games in the 1981-82 season but missed the FA Cup SF v Spurs due to a family wedding.

 

Never thought at the time that 38 years on we wouldn't reach the semifinals again since that day. :nono:

You didn't miss much. Apart from the game remember that day chiefly for the death of my Ford Cortina mk 3. Finally gave up the ghost on the Aston expressway within sight of the Villa ground. 

The car had been a nightmare. But I only gave 50 quid for it (from a brother-in-law). So I left it there, walked to the ground, and never went back for it. 

Never heard any more of it,  so maybe someone rescued it (I left the keys in).

We were bloody awful that day...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

You didn't miss much. Apart from the game remember that day chiefly for the death of my Ford Cortina mk 3. Finally gave up the ghost on the Aston expressway within sight of the Villa ground. 

The car had been a nightmare. But I only gave 50 quid for it (from a brother-in-law). So I left it there, walked to the ground, and never went back for it. 

Never heard any more of it,  so maybe someone rescued it (I left the keys in).

We were bloody awful that day...

lol Coincidentally my first car was a Cortina MK 3 too. L reg (72/73) paid £375 for it when I was 18 and it was a nightmare with overheating and starter motor problems. I remember driving to Bolton away in it on the day I bought it. It got me and my mates there and back but I wasn't so fortunate on a trip to Oldham away when it gave up the ghost at Woolley Edge services and that was the end of it. Still made it to the game though as we managed to cadge a lift on a coach that had stopped there too. Oh for the good old days!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

You didn't miss much. Apart from the game remember that day chiefly for the death of my Ford Cortina mk 3

 

13 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

lol Coincidentally my first car was a Cortina MK 3 too. L reg 

My Dad had a Mk.3 Cortina GXL - the two litre twin choke carb engine with the twin headlights and the rostyle wheels. looked like this - 

 

img_2673.thumb.jpg.ab2d791084eb667835c1db33933284a0.jpg

 

As I kid, I thought it was bloody great. So much so that when I later passed my test I went to find a used one. After a test drive I discovered that they handled like a tea trolley so I bought a Mk.4 instead. Drove it to Vicarage Road to watch us play Watford in freezing mid winter temperatures and on the way back having lost 2-1, the front offside window jammed down. Had to drive to the next service station in a blizzard. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

lol Coincidentally my first car was a Cortina MK 3 too. L reg (72/73) paid £375 for it when I was 18 and it was a nightmare with overheating and starter motor problems. I remember driving to Bolton away in it on the day I bought it. It got me and my mates there and back but I wasn't so fortunate on a trip to Oldham away when it gave up the ghost at Woolley Edge services and that was the end of it. Still made it to the game though as we managed to cadge a lift on a coach that had stopped there too. Oh for the good old days!

Strangely,  the first game I went to in it was Oldham. My brother in law lived in Halifax where I spent that Christmas, 1981, so it wasn't an epic journey. 

All I can remember of that game is how cold and generally joyless it was. 

That Cortina though. 

Probably put me off cars for life. 

Edited by Stoopid
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in 2001, my university started an alternative comedy night at its theatre. Me and my pals used to go along regularly. The audience was only ever around 50, max. They used to host comedians from the north west comedy circuit (including most of the cast of Phoenix Nights).

 

The first time they ran this comedy night, the compere backed out at last minute. A scouse bloke filled in at last minute and did a great job. Really funny and bags of charisma.

 

After the gig, me and my mates found the compere in the foyer and bought him a pint, congratulating him for doing such a good job at short notice. He was a lovely bloke and more than happy to have a chat. He had a day job as a salesman, and did comedy on the side.

 

He was John Bishop.

Edited by Saxondale
Added detail
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

You didn't miss much. Apart from the game remember that day chiefly for the death of my Ford Cortina mk 3. Finally gave up the ghost on the Aston expressway within sight of the Villa ground. 

The car had been a nightmare. But I only gave 50 quid for it (from a brother-in-law). So I left it there, walked to the ground, and never went back for it. 

Never heard any more of it,  so maybe someone rescued it (I left the keys in).

We were bloody awful that day...

 

32 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

lol Coincidentally my first car was a Cortina MK 3 too. L reg (72/73) paid £375 for it when I was 18 and it was a nightmare with overheating and starter motor problems. I remember driving to Bolton away in it on the day I bought it. It got me and my mates there and back but I wasn't so fortunate on a trip to Oldham away when it gave up the ghost at Woolley Edge services and that was the end of it. Still made it to the game though as we managed to cadge a lift on a coach that had stopped there too. Oh for the good old days!

 

11 minutes ago, Line-X said:

 

My Dad had a Mk.3 Cortina GXL - the two litre twin choke carb engine with the twin headlights and the rostyle wheels. looked like this - 

 

As I kid, I thought it was bloody great. So much so that when I later passed my test I went to find a used one. After a test drive I discovered that they handled like a tea trolley so I bought a Mk.4 instead. Drove it to Vicarage Road to watch us play Watford in freezing mid winter temperatures and on the way back having lost 2-1, the front offside window jammed down. Had to drive to the next service station in a blizzard. 

This is becoming the Ford Cortina Mk 3 owners thread.  I had one as well (K reg).  I have no excuses, it was my third car and I didn't learn from my first car being a Cortina Mk 1 which broke down on the M1 within a week of me buying it.  As this is a thread for things that you have done that most people haven't I'd like to add my experience of sorting out a breakdown on the hard shoulder of the M1 without assistance from the AA or RAC (I did get it going again, fortunately engines were a lot simpler then).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Strangely,  the first game I went to in it was Oldham. My brother in law lived in Halifax where I spent that Christmas, 1981, so it wasn't an epic journey. 

All I can remember of that game is how cold and generally joyless it was. 

That Cortina though. 

Probably put me off cars for life. 

How bizarre, that is the very same game that I'm referring to. https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/matches/?mid=1651

 

And yes it was absolutely bloody freezing that day. Although the temperature always seemed about 5 DegC lower at Boundary Park!

 

Edit: Anyway as @Crinklyfox says we are derailing this thread with our Ford Cortina stories lol. There are quite a few other things that I've have done that most people probably haven't but not sure I can share all of them on here.

 

Edited by Blue Fox 72
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

How bizarre, that is the very same game that I'm referring to. https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/matches/?mid=1651

 

And yes it was absolutely bloody freezing that day. Although the temperature always seemed about 5 DegC lower at Boundary Park!

 

Edit: Anyway as @Crinklyfox says we are derailing this thread with our Ford Cortina stories lol. There are quite a few other things that I've have done that most people probably haven't but not sure I can share all of them on here.

 

Yes - don't remember the goals at all from that one. All I can recall is that bloody perishing wind on the open end we were in, and bizarrely a memory of Larry May at a corner looking as miserable as I felt. 

As you point out, a rigorous selection process has to be employed in this thread. Otherwise I'd come across as an even bigger misanthropic loser than I already do...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...