Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
twister

Premier League B Teams in the EFL?

I’d argue the reason the system we have currently is unsustainable, in that we have too many teams already. Adding B teams into this mix would only make it worse. 

“B” teams aren’t going to pull in big gate receipts from the fan “A” team fan base. You may get an increased opponent fan base if you’re team is playing at Manchester United B. 

I wonder if we’d actually be better introducing a salary cap / wage reduction for players that aren’t registered in the 25 man squad. That would encourage players to move on and actually make the leagues more competitive. Under 23s then wouldn’t be stockpiled like they are currently, earning silly money for basically having a reputation. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

The only time they would be able to ram something through that is as damaging and unpopular as this would be when the EFL clubs are on their knees and desperate.

Poor.

tranmee chairmen has already said she'd rather not recieve a penny than accept that. has others support

the prem maybe about to start the worst pr war of all time.

2 hours ago, tylesta said:

He says about germans nicking his players yet they spent 40 million on a 20 year old sane!!! Why not give a youth player a try

Doesn’t mention the umpteen clubs they have bought. 

Doesn’t mention the £300 million fees they have made from getting youngsters and then flogging them with sell on clauses 

Was something the great Pep was ranting about a couple of years ago. Completely ignorant to the fact our footballing pyramid has passionate fans all the way down. The amount of disdain he had for even a club like Wigan when they beat him though, it isn't surprising he doesn't begin to appreciate any of that.

Pep's record of bringing through players at City has been laughable. He wouldn't even put a youth player on the bench when they could only put 6 on there once. Says it all about his youth policy in general really. 

Football is part of English culture and the leagues below the Premier League is where that culture is more prominent. We don’t want B teams ruining that culture and tradition. Although I want Leicester to be the best they can be, as a fan, some of the best times are in the Championship and League One. 

• Like 2

Instead of B teams being introduced. Why not do something like associated clubs? 

Each PL team has an Associated club that they are able to send X amount of loans to but also have to pay a proportion of its TV money too....

If it is all about developing players and NOT making money like we all know it is then surely something like this would work....

(This is just something off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many downfalls I haven't thought of) 

Back in the day there were reserves leagues before the rules were changed to U23 (under 21s had their own separate leagues).  Crowds were never massive but as most games were midweek, many clubs, LCFC included,  used to do discounted prices for familys/kids (remember the family night football games).

These second string games gave developing players the chance to play competitive games, alongside the senior players who were not selected for the first team for whatever reason that week. It gave clubs the opportunity to bed new players in, give game time to those recovering from injury and generally keep everyone match fit. Players could be interchanged (promoted/demoted) between reserve and first teams. There was a clear progression from youth to U21, reserves and eventually the first team (obviously some bypassed some stages if good enough)The system worked for many years until the PL and era of "super clubs" (ie moneybags) meant that certain clubs could simply hoover up all the best players and stick them in the reserves, which is one of the reasons it was scrapped/changed to U23 with limits on over age players etc.

The very same clubs that brought about the death of the reserves leagues due to their avarice are now the ones who want to gatecrash the lower leagues with their so called "B" teams. I just do not see how it would work unless they had totally different squads, with no interchange of players allowed within a season (and why would players go to clubs if they are not going to be considered for the first team). Rather than this, if the FA are serious about developing a competitive system, why not a return to the old reserves leagues but maintain a maximum senior squad of say 30 players, with an overall salary cap. entry to these leagues would be optional but if not entering a team, then clubs senior squad would be limited to the current 25.

Never going to happen of course.

Edited by urban fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Instead of B teams being introduced. Why not do something like associated clubs? 

Each PL team has an Associated club that they are able to send X amount of loans to but also have to pay a proportion of its TV money too....

If it is all about developing players and NOT making money like we all know it is then surely something like this would work....

(This is just something off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many downfalls I haven't thought of) 

It's an idea but I suspect you will then get 20 of the EFL teams richer, bigger and better than the rest and will in time fill the Championship and the PL will get what they want, on paper at least a real PL2.

54 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Rather than this, if the FA are serious about developing a competitive system,

Because the FA are more or less powerless with respect to the PL it's the Princes verses the Paupers. They can try and resist but ultimately they do not have the funds to help or change the set up EFL and below. I think it's only the fans that can prevent the PL from expanding and infiltering the EFL.

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

It's an idea but I suspect you will then get 20 of the EFL teams richer, bigger and better than the rest and will in time fill the Championship and the PL will get what they want, on paper at least a real PL2.

I was thinking about something like that. It would have to be something like league 1 only and the association ends after they are promoted...... something along those lines. 

Just now, Foxy_Bear said:

I was thinking about something like that. It would have to be something like league 1 only and the association ends after they are promoted...... something along those lines. 

They could but they could also be limited to how many youngsters they have on their books and then loan out along with providing coaching and facilities expertise. For example LCFC are having onsite Pitch Academy well something like that, why not go further they and others could get coaches, scouts, medical staff etc  and share their knowledge and facilities. Some may do this but perhaps in a more formal recognisable way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

They could but they could also be limited to how many youngsters they have on their books and then loan out along with providing coaching and facilities expertise. For example LCFC are having onsite Pitch Academy well something like that, why not go further they and others could get coaches, scouts, medical staff etc  and share their knowledge and facilities. Some may do this but perhaps in a more formal recognisable way.

Absolutely something like this. It would have to benefit the smaller teams and the players and staff more than the established team. 

It could also be beneficial if we done something like this but in association with another FA. 

Like, we have an association with  a lower league Spanish or Italian team and send staff and Youngsters and the bigger Italian or Spanish teams done the same with our lower league teams. 

Guest Markyblue

A once proud working class football club has sold its soul to the devil and no amount of trophies can cover up the fact they are a disgrace.  Ffp and everything else is rode over on the tidal wave of money that backs them. If i was a man city fan I'd prefer the old days to this sh.tshow they are becoming a joke.

15 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

You mean it’s not the “real world” to make a good weekly wage and still likely end up in the EFL if you don’t make it in the PL?

There are no guarantees in football. Vardy failed in the “real world that is the EFL” as undoubtedly has so many other young prospects. The better training (again, inclusive of nutrition, fitness, etc.) and experience a young prospect receives, the greater his career prospects should ordinarily be. I realize that many FTers are of a certain age demographic, but please let’s not unduly romanticize EFL football. Playing before a sparse crowd in driving rain on a muddy field in some dodgy ground in the lower tiers does little or nothing to enhance a young player’s career prospects or longevity,

you dont need to Romanticism its their in front of your eyes it does a lot actual if you know your football

Maguire started at league one sheffield united

Calvert Lewin lower league academy

Maddison-coventry

Watkins-exeter city-hattrick last weekend

Mings-Chippenham town

Cash-wycombe wanders academy to forest

Bowen Hereford United

Antonio-non leagues

-Vardy-non league

-cresswell-ipswich town

17 hours ago, davieG said:

Well unless they are going to add a 5th league then allowing B teams will automatically push 20 establish, many long established teams out of the league and probably out of business.

As for the 5 subs, well perhaps they can consider making the league more of a level playing field.

I also suspect the media focus will switch from the long establish teams to the 'big 6's' B teams just like the Women's league is going because that's where the money for those clubs and the media is, that doesn't make it good for the rest of the football family.

really the ratings for under 21 matches in the efl trophy are terrible since the premier league forced fed that onto viewers

Nobody wants b teams bar the greedy view, **** soriano **** his friends at the top and he better be ready for the biggest backlash of all time if he tries to push this through.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, twister said:

really the ratings for under 21 matches in the efl trophy are terrible since the premier league forced fed that onto viewers

Nobody wants b teams bar the greedy view, **** soriano **** his friends at the top and he better be ready for the biggest backlash of all time if he tries to push this through.

Hmm I'm not advocating their inclusion in fact the complete opposite. 

The Media will focus on where the fan numbers are the biggest irrespective how well the teams are doing. Do the media stop their none stop over the top saturation coverage of these 'big 6' teams even when they are shite? No! So I'd bet they'd be all over the B teams as well if they were included in the EFL structure it's what they do. Look at the media coverage of the Women's teams?