Jump to content
davieG

Luton Town agree to sign Leicester City 22-yr-old - Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

The debate is whether he's good enough for the premiership, we have a maximum of 5 FA cup games, if he can do it in a Luton team against Chelsea, proves he'd be useful in at least some of the other 20+ games we will have in the season.

 

 

we also have some europa games to play. now i’m not suggesting he starts in those, but those that do will need to be rested in the league games after those.. and that’s where KDH will come into it..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...luckily for him, no one was staking a genuine claim for the Left Wing!!!

Sure, wondering about the claim Barnes was unhappy as he was playing.. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shen said:

Are you talking about when we recalled Barnes from WBA? He was involved straight away and became a regular for the rest of that season.
Just had a quick glance - he came on as a sub the day after being recalled and only missed out against Liverpool, starting almost every game after that until the end of the season.

No, I'm on about the previous season when he was recalled from Barnsley.

He was therefore hesitant about returning from WBA because he was playing and settled and happy and was concerned it might happen again, returning and not being involved much.

It helped that the team needed pace and a creative spark and he soon had more game time with us.

Wasn't long before Rodgers came in and he liked Barnes straight away.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No, I'm on about the previous season when he was recalled from Barnsley.

He was therefore hesitant about returning from WBA because he was playing and settled and happy and was concerned it might happen again, returning and not being involved much.

It helped that the team needed pace and a creative spark and he soon had more game time with us.

Wasn't long before Rodgers came in and he liked Barnes straight away.

Understood :thumbup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No, I'm on about the previous season when he was recalled from Barnsley.

He was therefore hesitant about returning from WBA because he was playing and settled and happy and was concerned it might happen again, returning and not being involved much.

It helped that the team needed pace and a creative spark and he soon had more game time with us.

Wasn't long before Rodgers came in and he liked Barnes straight away.

Puel liked (and used) him plenty, nothing changed when BR took over.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2021 at 21:25, Raw Dykes said:

Praet might be a reserve, but he's first reserve for two positions in the first team. That's why he already has 14 starts and 7 sub apps this season. People are panicking because this injury means we're very thin on the ground for creative midfielders.

 

I agree that KDH will benefit from finishing the season at Luton, but I think it also could be possible that recalling him could even be better for him. It would certainly be better for us.

25

I'm sorry, but I don't think your suggestions for cover are close to being good enough. Amartey can play as a holding midfielder, but he hasn't impressed for us there. Ricardo's played about 10 minutes this season and still isn't back yet, and is also not a central midfielder, unless you know something I don't. I know JJ is very versatile, but, as with Ricardo, as far as I know, I don't think he stretches as far as CM, and besides, he's been our standout defender this season. Moving him to CM has a knock-on effect to the back line. Mendy's the obvious cover for Ndidi, but I don't think any of these players are capable of doing Tielemans or Maddison's job. Maddison can't be considered for cover - he's pretty much a nailed-on starter when available, and I only say pretty much because of Praet, who I thought started the season very well in place of him. Perez, I'll grant you I think can be a good option for the no.10 role. We're not blessed with a great number of attacking players, though, and he's likely to be needed elsewhere. Under's barely played this season due to fitness and injury. He's also more of a wideman. Not really sure if he could play centrally.

 

It's Youri and Maddison we need cover for. With Praet out, I think the best man in the squad for that job is Kiernan. If we don't recall him, I think we're going to have to buy or borrow someone. Seems pretty pointless doing that to me, when we already have an ideal player on our books.

 

Your last paragraph still applies if he comes back now. It's just that he'd be closer to the starting XI now than he would be next season when, hopefully, Praet is back from injury.

 

It's a real shame if Praet is out for months, but who knows? If it means KDH gets his chance to show he can cut it for us in the PL, then maybe there is a silver lining.

I would question if he's first reserve. 14 Starts might have more to do with Maddisons injury.

 

KDH coming back to sit on the bench would only hold up his development. He'd likely only play very few games and so is better off out on loan.

 

As for the covering players, Yes I agree there's if and buts but they can all step in and do a job if needed. They're all good players.

JJ and Ricardo could play anywhere and do a job. Because they are that good. Mendy is the obvious Wilf replacement.

Perez can contribute in a few roles also but I think his best position is the role behind the main striker as he's good at dropping off the radar then just showing up in dangerous areas. 

Under loves to come inside which is one of the reasons Brendan signed him so I'm sure he'd also be very good playing inside. I'd also bet Ricardo do play in their also as he's that good of a player. He should be back soon but will need a little time to get up to speed.

My point is we don't need to bring back KDH.  We'll both benefit hugely by him finishing out his loan, where he'll get plenty of real competitive game time.

He'll be a lot more physically able for the Premiership.

As to Praet, Thankfully his injury doesn't seem to be that bad, But I still question other than a reserve, where does he really fit into the Team.

I think his best position is that floating role in front of Youri and Wilf where he can be a little bit of everything and support the attack. 

But it's so congested in there with Maddison and Perez even Kelechi looking for a place.

 

Maybe the answer is Go with Maddison when we want to take the game to the opposition and use Praet when we feel we need that extra little bit of cover.

 

What I'd really is for us to sign a big strong quick midfielder who can also play football, that would give us the best of both.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

I would question if he's first reserve. 14 Starts might have more to do with Maddisons injury.

 

KDH coming back to sit on the bench would only hold up his development. He'd likely only play very few games and so is better off out on loan.

 

As for the covering players, Yes I agree there's if and buts but they can all step in and do a job if needed. They're all good players.

JJ and Ricardo could play anywhere and do a job. Because they are that good. Mendy is the obvious Wilf replacement.

Perez can contribute in a few roles also but I think his best position is the role behind the main striker as he's good at dropping off the radar then just showing up in dangerous areas. 

Under loves to come inside which is one of the reasons Brendan signed him so I'm sure he'd also be very good playing inside. I'd also bet Ricardo do play in their also as he's that good of a player. He should be back soon but will need a little time to get up to speed.

My point is we don't need to bring back KDH.  We'll both benefit hugely by him finishing out his loan, where he'll get plenty of real competitive game time.

He'll be a lot more physically able for the Premiership.

As to Praet, Thankfully his injury doesn't seem to be that bad, But I still question other than a reserve, where does he really fit into the Team.

I think his best position is that floating role in front of Youri and Wilf where he can be a little bit of everything and support the attack. 

But it's so congested in there with Maddison and Perez even Kelechi looking for a place.

 

Maybe the answer is Go with Maddison when we want to take the game to the opposition and use Praet when we feel we need that extra little bit of cover.

 

What I'd really is for us to sign a big strong quick midfielder who can also play football, that would give us the best of both.

You've stumped me with your first paragraph. The fact he had so many starts because of Maddison's injury is what leads me to believe he is first reserve. I can't work out why you think that fact is an argument against that.

 

We don't know that KDH would only sit on the bench. I think he'd get in the team whenever either Tielemans or Maddison were unavailable. With such a congested fixture list for weeks or months, they will suffer if we expect them both to play the full 90 of every game. They will need to be rotated, and currently, we don't really have anyone to rotate them with. We're also going to have to be very lucky to keep them both injury-and-suspenion-free.

 

There would be plenty of opportunites, I'm sure, for KDH if we recall him now. If he does end up back here and playing, even if it's not quite as much as he would have at Luton, then I'm sure that PL experience will be even better for his development.

 

JJ and Ricardo are good players, but I can't see them filling in for Tielemans, to be honest. Mendy's not a no.8. You're suggesting players who I don't think have ever been asked to play as a creative central midfielder in their career, but we find ourselves with a real chance of gunning for top 4, a Europa League or an FA Cup. Should we be shoehorning full-backs or wingers into a position they're not familiar with, when we have a young specialist tearing it up in the division below?

 

I don't know what you've seen or heard, but I think Praet is out for 3 months. I'd say that is pretty bad. That's most of the rest of the season. If we don't recall KDH, then I think we are going to have to buy or borrow a player, wouldn't you agree?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MPH said:

 

 

we also have some europa games to play. now i’m not suggesting he starts in those, but those that do will need to be rested in the league games after those.. and that’s where KDH will come into it..

yeah my thinking exactly, make the communication clear with Luton, so us the player and Luton are clear on what's going on, allow him to play in the Chelsea game, an the performance he produces will dictate whether he comes back, or stays for the rest of the season at Luton. If he doesn't play in the 4th Round for us, that only leaves 4 games max FA cup, he wouldn't play any part of a SF or final if we got that far, he has to play against Chelsea, an be assessed.

Edited by Beachyboy
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I would question if he's first reserve. 14 Starts might have more to do with Maddisons injury.

 

KDH coming back to sit on the bench would only hold up his development. He'd likely only play very few games and so is better off out on loan.

 

As for the covering players, Yes I agree there's if and buts but they can all step in and do a job if needed. They're all good players.

JJ and Ricardo could play anywhere and do a job. Because they are that good. Mendy is the obvious Wilf replacement.

Perez can contribute in a few roles also but I think his best position is the role behind the main striker as he's good at dropping off the radar then just showing up in dangerous areas. 

Under loves to come inside which is one of the reasons Brendan signed him so I'm sure he'd also be very good playing inside. I'd also bet Ricardo do play in their also as he's that good of a player. He should be back soon but will need a little time to get up to speed.

My point is we don't need to bring back KDH.  We'll both benefit hugely by him finishing out his loan, where he'll get plenty of real competitive game time.

He'll be a lot more physically able for the Premiership.

As to Praet, Thankfully his injury doesn't seem to be that bad, But I still question other than a reserve, where does he really fit into the Team.

I think his best position is that floating role in front of Youri and Wilf where he can be a little bit of everything and support the attack. 

But it's so congested in there with Maddison and Perez even Kelechi looking for a place.

 

Maybe the answer is Go with Maddison when we want to take the game to the opposition and use Praet when we feel we need that extra little bit of cover.

 

What I'd really is for us to sign a big strong quick midfielder who can also play football, that would give us the best of both.

....isn't that the same thing @Raw Dykessaid.....!!!

As Praet is obviously cover for Tielemans and Maddison, he would then be first reserve for either of Tielemans and Maddison being off injured.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Dennis Praet's injury sparked debate about Dewsbury Hall potentially returning to Leicester, who requested Luton left him out of their FA Cup tie last weekend. The loan recall date has passed so Luton would be under no obligation to let him leave. Dewsbury Hall has won a lot of plaudits in his 16 games at Luton. He received the club's Player of the Month award for November (getting 78% of the vote) and December (92%) after helping Luton beat Norwich, Preston and Bristol City, against whom he scored the winner 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

You've stumped me with your first paragraph. The fact he had so many starts because of Maddison's injury is what leads me to believe he is first reserve. I can't work out why you think that fact is an argument against that.

 

We don't know that KDH would only sit on the bench. I think he'd get in the team whenever either Tielemans or Maddison were unavailable. With such a congested fixture list for weeks or months, they will suffer if we expect them both to play the full 90 of every game. They will need to be rotated, and currently, we don't really have anyone to rotate them with. We're also going to have to be very lucky to keep them both injury-and-suspenion-free.

 

There would be plenty of opportunites, I'm sure, for KDH if we recall him now. If he does end up back here and playing, even if it's not quite as much as he would have at Luton, then I'm sure that PL experience will be even better for his development.

 

JJ and Ricardo are good players, but I can't see them filling in for Tielemans, to be honest. Mendy's not a no.8. You're suggesting players who I don't think have ever been asked to play as a creative central midfielder in their career, but we find ourselves with a real chance of gunning for top 4, a Europa League or an FA Cup. Should we be shoehorning full-backs or wingers into a position they're not familiar with, when we have a young specialist tearing it up in the division below?

 

I don't know what you've seen or heard, but I think Praet is out for 3 months. I'd say that is pretty bad. That's most of the rest of the season. If we don't recall KDH, then I think we are going to have to buy or borrow a player, wouldn't you agree?

Because I think we've moved on from then and I think Brendan sees Perez at the better option to replace Maddison in the advanced role.

 

We'll have to agree to disagree on KDH. It would be asking a lot of the lad to step up and be an instant hit. He'd also need someone to be injured as they're all big games from here in.

At Luton he is he's getting game time and physical development only playing competitively can give you. It's just a lot of responsibility to put on a young players shoulders in his breakthrough season. We will reap the benefit as he'll come back stronger and more confident for next season.

Harvey was doing very well at West Brom, Yet he struggled to get game time and make an impact when he came back.

It's only this season that he's really showing what he's capable off.

 

Sometimes you learn more about your players in adversity. Real good players can play anywhere they don't need numbers or positions. They know where they should be and what to do. Which is why JJ and Ricardo are so good.  I'm certain they could easily play there if the need arose.

Let's just hope the need never arises and we won't need to change.

 

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about Praet or any player who's suffered a bad injury. The last article I read said it might be a couple of Weeks. 

I agree that's his season virtually over which is a pity as it means he'll likely be still here next season in the same predicament.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

 

Dennis Praet's injury sparked debate about Dewsbury Hall potentially returning to Leicester, who requested Luton left him out of their FA Cup tie last weekend. The loan recall date has passed so Luton would be under no obligation to let him leave. Dewsbury Hall has won a lot of plaudits in his 16 games at Luton. He received the club's Player of the Month award for November (getting 78% of the vote) and December (92%) after helping Luton beat Norwich, Preston and Bristol City, against whom he scored the winner 

 You just know that this is going to be a huge mistake. 
 

if it’s because we sign someone else that’s simply going to be a block to his progression next season. Hopefully a nice loan deal is in the pipeline. 
 

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

 

Dennis Praet's injury sparked debate about Dewsbury Hall potentially returning to Leicester, who requested Luton left him out of their FA Cup tie last weekend. The loan recall date has passed so Luton would be under no obligation to let him leave. Dewsbury Hall has won a lot of plaudits in his 16 games at Luton. He received the club's Player of the Month award for November (getting 78% of the vote) and December (92%) after helping Luton beat Norwich, Preston and Bristol City, against whom he scored the winner 

What an odd thing to do, ask them not to play him in the cup and then one of our star midfielders gets injured and we decide we aren't going to recall him. I wonder what it would have taken for us to recall him and if nothing then why ask them not to play him in the cup? 

 

Maddison hasn't strung more than about 5 games together without another knock and Tielemans is being run in to the ground. If we ever pick Mendy or Hamza in the same team as Ndidi because of this then I'll be furious.

 

Only logical explanation is we are going to bring in another box to box midfielder. Tufan?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I sincerely hope we get somebody in then. Tielemans and Maddison can't start every game nor can we play with two of Mendy, Ndidi and Choudhury together (for a significant amount of time).

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a shame, thought he looked excellent in preseason and has done really well for Luton. If he isn't going to be given a chance in these circumstances, it looks like he doesn't have a future here.

A bit gutted really, thought we could do with a midfielder like him that can drive forward with the ball, pick a pass and likes to get stuck in. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm told the recall date is tomorrow but with seven days' written notice which was last Friday.

 

Nice to know other Championship clubs, those at the top end, rate him highly too.

He's doing terrific things at Luton - their Player of the Month for Nov and Dec - getting terrific experience there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'm told the recall date is tomorrow but with seven days' written notice which was last Friday.

 

Nice to know other Championship clubs, those at the top end, rate him highly too.

He's doing terrific things at Luton - their Player of the Month for Nov and Dec - getting terrific experience there.

With most loans, we can probably still activate the recall but it will cost us to compensate them for having to find a replacement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'm told the recall date is tomorrow but with seven days' written notice which was last Friday.

 

Nice to know other Championship clubs, those at the top end, rate him highly too.

He's doing terrific things at Luton - their Player of the Month for Nov and Dec - getting terrific experience there.

So you're saying that we would've liked to have recalled him, but we can't because Praet got injured the day after written notice was required?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

With most loans, we can probably still activate the recall but it will cost us to compensate them for having to find a replacement.

Correct. We could still get him back and send them a player or two but Luton have no obligation now.

 

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

So you're saying that we would've liked to have recalled him, but we can't because Praet got injured the day after written notice was required?

It was a consideration to recall him but the feeling was they wanted him to stay there ideally.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Because I think we've moved on from then and I think Brendan sees Perez at the better option to replace Maddison in the advanced role.

 

We'll have to agree to disagree on KDH. It would be asking a lot of the lad to step up and be an instant hit. He'd also need someone to be injured as they're all big games from here in.

At Luton he is he's getting game time and physical development only playing competitively can give you. It's just a lot of responsibility to put on a young players shoulders in his breakthrough season. We will reap the benefit as he'll come back stronger and more confident for next season.

Harvey was doing very well at West Brom, Yet he struggled to get game time and make an impact when he came back.

It's only this season that he's really showing what he's capable off.

 

Sometimes you learn more about your players in adversity. Real good players can play anywhere they don't need numbers or positions. They know where they should be and what to do. Which is why JJ and Ricardo are so good.  I'm certain they could easily play there if the need arose.

Let's just hope the need never arises and we won't need to change.

 

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about Praet or any player who's suffered a bad injury. The last article I read said it might be a couple of Weeks. 

I agree that's his season virtually over which is a pity as it means he'll likely be still here next season in the same predicament.

Okay. I suspect you might have thought of that since your last reply, because it read very much like you were saying Praet wasn't first reserve because he'd only played so much due to Maddison's injury. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Praet would still be 1st choice filling in for either Youri or Maddison if he was fit, but I do agree that Ayoze is next in line to cover for JM. I think that will be what we are likely to see if we don't bring anyone in. I will be a bit worried if Youri's out, though. Would a midfield of Ndidi and Maddison with Perez ahead of them work? I think it might against some of the lesser sides. Remains to be seen.

 

It's a bit concerning to me how we are down to bare bones for the no.8 positions heading into a frantic schedule. I'm sure the club recognise this, though, and I hope they have something up their sleeve, whether that's a loan in, or maybe there's a slim hope we can use this situation to get Tavares tied down to a new deal and get him involved. There could even be a transfer lined up, but I'd be a bit concerned that could spell the end for one of Tielemans, Maddison or Praet, who I'd be a bit worried would be off in the summer.

 

Just before your post, there's a post by Geoff with the news that KDH will complete the season at Luton. So that's settled, apparently. I really think he could have done well for himself and us back here for the next few months, but it will be good for him to finish off what's been a great loan for him so far.

 

I disagree re: Barnes. Are you thinking of the year before when we recalled him from Barnsley? He struggled for game time that time, but he played a lot when he came back from WBA. 11 starts and 5 sub apps in half a season isn't bad at all. He's better than ever this season, but I think the signs were there early on that he had real potential.

 

Re: JJ and Ricardo - I think they could do a job there if they had to, but would it be a good enough job? Do you think they could fill in elsewhere? Do you think they could cover for Vardy, for instance? I hope I don't sound facetious, I just don't think them playing in CM is something we're ever likely to see, barring the absolute worst injury crisis.

 

It is a real shame about Praet, of course. It's up to 3 months, apparently, so there is at least some hope that he could be back a bit sooner.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose we might see a more clearly defined 4231 a bit more often with Perez or Iheanacho as the 10 as rotation options with Maddison from now on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...