Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. 

..you stated we are not spending enough to gain top 6!!!

My response is we were not spending too much when we won the league and we are not spending anywhere the same as the big boys to gain top 5....but we did!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..you stated we are not spending enough to gain top 6!!!

My response is we were not spending too much when we won the league and we are not spending anywhere the same as the big boys to gain top 5....but we did!!

You understand the difference between a few short terms achievements and being able to do something consistently don’t you?

 

There is a very large reason why so few teams in the last, what 25 years. Outside of the traditional elite have broken the top six. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Babylon said:

You understand the difference between a few short terms achievements and being able to do something consistently don’t you?

 

There is a very large reason why so few teams in the last, what 25 years. Outside of the traditional elite have broken the top six. 

...I understand the difference......someone is going to do it, why shouldn't it be us!!!

To be pedantic your statement is easily debunked with the caveat you applied. If you have noticed the big boys are attempting to ring fence and dictate the league, the money coming in to premier league clubs now presents a challenge to them and with the way we are run, why can't it be us that consistently crashes their party. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Those infrastructure projects are to cement us in a different bracket of club. But not the top bracket, we are talking taking us up a level so we aren’t seen as of similar size to Southampton, Brighton. And more in the bracket of the likes of Everton, Newcastle. (Which whether you like it or not, are seen as bigger clubs)

 

Promlem is on the pitch we’ve been outperforming those clubs already. So as I say, those projects realistically are about helping us cement our position at this end of the table.

 

But in terms of ceiling, for the foreseeable we have reached it as we are already overperforming.

 

To break through that ceiling and we are talking about becoming a big six club. That is getting harder and harder without outside investment of huge amounts. They are demanding more and more cash based on name and are getting their way. 
 

It’s a nigh on impossible task and I just down think people get it. We need to double our revenue to compete financially with the worst of the six!
 

 

@Babylon...I am usually chilled over many topics & posts over this forum, I can myself be facetious & sarcastic...

I just want to thankyou for your posts over this Theme und Topic in the last 24hrs,probably your  most intensive Input for awhile..

Whether I read them word for word, or between the lines.....

You've put and explained what & where we are,  in the needs,the tribulations ,difficulties and the true aspirations & realities as a club excellently.

Its a Shame some have become somewhat entitled in expressing their expectations &  ambitions..:appl:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I understand the difference......someone is going to do it, why shouldn't it be us!!!

To be pedantic your statement is easily debunked with the caveat you applied. If you have noticed the big boys are attempting to ring fence and dictate the league, the money coming in to premier league clubs now presents a challenge to them and with the way we are run, why can't it be us that consistently crashes their party. 

When our revenue increases, generally so does theirs... and by more. We aren’t closing a gap financially, it’s widening.

 

You seem to be missing the point. Can it happen yes, is it realistic to expect it, no. Is it likely we continuously have lightening striking twice in that we massively over perform and others under perform, no.
 

More often than not, money dictates position and it has done for decades. As I already said, aim to win every game and win the title. But don’t start scratching by our head and wondering why you finished 9th if you pay the 9th most in wages.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, UHDrive said:

We have reached the ceiling?!? Seriously?! Its fans like you with that attitude that will see us back in league 1 as quick as it took us to come up. 

 

I'm happy that the investment I.e. £100mil+ for the training ground and the rest for the stadium itself is there and progressing. It would be idiotic to suggest that we have reached our ceiling considering we are spending on infrastructure that puts us well inside the top 6 on cutting edge investment and player pulling power. 

 

Nothing stops evolving, except some fans it seems 

I see this a lot? Every time someone criticises something I see a response of "we will be back in league 1 with that attitude". I don't get it. We have been in League 1 once in our entire history. Some people speak as if we're punching above our weight just being in the top flight.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I see this a lot? Every time someone criticises something I see a response of "we will be back in league 1 with that attitude". I don't get it. We have been in League 1 once in our entire history. Some people speak as if we're punching above our weight just being in the top flight.

The laungage and speeches of the owners and managers that come into this club is crystal clear - European Football is our ambition on a regular basis. How else to do imagine getting there? The owners know full well that to commit to that statement that funding from them is an absolute necessity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Babylon said:

Those infrastructure projects are to cement us in a different bracket of club. But not the top bracket, we are talking taking us up a level so we aren’t seen as of similar size to Southampton, Brighton. And more in the bracket of the likes of Everton, Newcastle. (Which whether you like it or not, are seen as bigger clubs)

 

Promlem is on the pitch we’ve been outperforming those clubs already. So as I say, those projects realistically are about helping us cement our position at this end of the table.

 

But in terms of ceiling, for the foreseeable we have reached it as we are already overperforming.

 

To break through that ceiling and we are talking about becoming a big six club. That is getting harder and harder without outside investment of huge amounts. They are demanding more and more cash based on name and are getting their way. 
 

It’s a nigh on impossible task and I just down think people get it. We need to double our revenue to compete financially with the worst of the six!
 

 

I see your points and they do give a more realistic feel when put that way. The only issue I cant let go of personally is the owners own words on regular European football and the realism that is needed to get there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I see your points and they do give a more realistic feel when put that way. The only issue I cant let go of personally is the owners own words on regular European football and the realism that is needed to get there.

It's possible, 7th gets you Europe often enough. That's a fairly realistic aim for the club, but I think they know it's not all down to what we do. We're going to knock around that 6th (maybe higher if things fall our way) and 10th position. Depending on performance of our players and manager, performance of others etc. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

The laungage and speeches of the owners and managers that come into this club is crystal clear - European Football is our ambition on a regular basis. How else to do imagine getting there? The owners know full well that to commit to that statement that funding from them is an absolute necessity.

I am not sure this is necessarily true. Despite the training ground and ground extension suggesting that investment will be made, surely this is infinitely preferable to splashing a shed load of cash on transfers every summer/winter?

It is not sexy, but it is an organic, sustainable approach, and we just do not have the marketing clout or sugar daddy to fund such transfer splurges, and therefore cash outside of owner investment. 

Whilst I fully accept we witness this in this league, outside of the historic monied clubs (Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal) it occurs from new monied clubs (Chelsea, Man City).

Other clubs, notably Everton are risking it all, and it may work during this relaxed period of FFP. We ignore any clubs promoted in the last 3 years as they can play catch up on wages so should no feature in this discussion.

Wily in the market and organic in our growth is (only) the way forward.

 

 

Image result for shop smart shop s mart

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Can't we just accept we're a middle ranking club and take the rough with the smooth?

If we have to then yes. I prefer the ambitious approach we've taken since Vichai and Top took over. Why should we put a cap on our potential? 

 

I do feel like Rodgers is selling this little old Leicester story quite well. Many of our fans are buying into it. 

 

I don't feel like it's an easy job to keep breaking into the top 6 by any means but equally our form in 2020 isn't acceptable. With injuries being how they are at the moment it's going to be difficult to judge him fairly

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

We all knew the pros and cons of Rodgers when he came in so can't be surprised. He hasn't changed as a manager. His pros outweigh his cons though so we will be moaning about the same things again and again while he is here.

..i am not too sure we were looking at him that closely!!!

We noted his success at Celtic and wondered if he could replicate that kind of style and what he could achieve in the Premiership. Not many were looking at his reluctance to make substitutions before 60 minutes and his rigidity in his attitude to how we play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..i am not too sure we were looking at him that closely!!!

We noted his success at Celtic and wondered if he could replicate that kind of style and what he could achieve in the Premiership. Not many were looking at his reluctance to make substitutions before 60 minutes and his rigidity in his attitude to how we play.

You know this how?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reality is that injuries have hit us hard this year. I think we strengthened well in the summer and Rodgers is now prepared for a Plan B. We just don't have the personnel to perform at the level we'd like, because key players keep getting injured.

 

Rodgers will make mistakes - like with swapping out Mendy for Choudhury when it should have been one of the other CMs - but he is still a good manager. We have to ride this out until Christmas time I think, and then hopefully be (ironically) fresher with more faces back and not burnt out like other teams are likely to be. It's going to be a reverse of last season I think. We just have to hang in there for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

You know this how?

...how many people new his attitude in regards to his dogmatic approach to the game!!!

  I was not aware of this negative aspect to his football management and I would suspect not many on here was following him that closely to predict how he would play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, urban fox said:

Round and round we go. Win and we are suddenly world beaters with a tactical genius at the helm. Lose and we are relegation fodder, back in league 1, manager hasn’t got a clue, and inevitably no plan b.

we are where we are, as our resources allow, a decent side capable of challenging anyone on our day, but equally capable of getting beaten. Never thought I would be citing @Babylon and @fuchsntf as the voices of reason but they are spot on. 

We have 9 points from 5 games. Over a season that equates to 60+ points which is top 6 or thereabouts. And before the doom merchants start going on about form post Xmas blah blah, every team has barren runs and purple patches. We do not have the resources to simply go out and buy success so have to slowly evolve. That means we will have ups and downs, good years and not so good. This is still the best and most exciting squad and management set up we have had for decades so let’s just enjoy it and take the highs with the lows.

when someone comes up with a viable, affordable alternative to BR then please do share. Until then there is no point in griping or simply saying not good enough.

Spot on!:clap:

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

@Babylon...I am usually chilled over many topics & posts over this forum, I can myself be facetious & sarcastic...

I just want to thankyou for your posts over this Theme und Topic in the last 24hrs,probably your  most intensive Input for awhile..

Whether I read them word for word, or between the lines.....

You've put and explained what & where we are,  in the needs,the tribulations ,difficulties and the true aspirations & realities as a club excellently.

Its a Shame some have become somewhat entitled in expressing their expectations &  ambitions..:appl:

I don't always agree with @babylon but on this he's been the most measured of any poster and I wish more people would take note.

 

Finishing 7th-10th would not be a disaster this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...how many people new his attitude in regards to his dogmatic approach to the game!!!

  I was not aware of this negative aspect to his football management and I would suspect not many on here was following him that closely to predict how he would play.

Who cares what you, me or others think about his approach, the point is whether the club were aware of it when they signed him.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, UHDrive said:

 Its fans like you with that attitude that will see us back in league 1 as quick as it took us to come up. 

 

The fans attitude has nothing to do with promotion or relegation, that's down to the attitudes of the owners, management and players.

 

Too many people on here seem to think that the witterings of fans on a chat page directly affect the club.

 

We have some input when we're at the ground, that's it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hackneyfox said:

Who cares what you, me or others think about his approach, the point is whether the club were aware of it when they signed him.

 

We all knew the pros and cons of Rodgers when he came in so can't be surprised. He hasn't changed as a manager. His pros outweigh his cons though so we will be moaning about the same things again and again while he is here.

       The above was posted by @Sharpe's Fox

 

 

 

...the question asked was, we all knew what we were getting when we brought him in, so we can't complain as to where he is taking us!!!

  I am saying, not many were really watching, that closely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had to nip to the club shop and decided to pick up the Europa League match programme for tomorrow.

 

Just noticed Glen Driscoll is no longer listed under the staff. Is this an error or has he also been let go?

 

 

IMG_20201021_135627359~2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...