Jump to content
Gav_LCFC14

European premier league

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Sly said:

This would replace the Champions League and play out of the course of a season; whilst also playing in the domestic league. 
 

What I don’t understand, is how they plan on taking part in another 17 (once) to 34 games (twice). 
 

These teams already complain about fixture congestion etc. 
 

With the International Nations League, International Friendlies, FA Cup, League Cup etc, that’s a lot of football.  
 

This could just be a baby step to them braking away altogether, however it’s not that simple. We’ll end up with an inferior Premier League for those left behind, with reduced money and the top talent wanting to move to the big league with the big money. The FA may need to take a stance here if that’s the case and make a stand that anyone playing in this, doesn’t ply for the national team. 

My concern is that they will be given special rights to have larger squads.. thereby stealing even more of the best players and sitting them on the bench for half a season

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let them go..

 

English football will survive just fine. It might not be as lucrative but eventually i see it picking back up but with  a new  "top X" etc. Implement salary caps, restrict loans etc and get the game to be more competitive that way. Everyone outside of the top 6 could care less really because we have literally 0 chance  to ever win the league. Its already "boring" if you ask me. Bar our winning season its been a fcking bore. Chelsea, mancity, manure rinse repeat for the last 20 years basically.

 

Man united 7 titles

Chelsea  5 titles

Man City 4 titles

Arsenal 2 titles

Leicester 1 title 

Liverpool  1 title

 

Wow, take us out of the equation as an anomaly. Arsenal hasnt won since 2004. Its not even a top 6, its a freakin top 4 including Liverpool being honest. Maybe 5 if you include Arsenal. 

 

Football fans of every club not included in that 18 or so team will never pay to watch them. Why would  I as a Leicester fan pay to watch  a united-barca game or even subscribe to a european league tv package. Fook off i'd rather watch partick  thistle vs ayr united for free. Guaranteed to see fans fighting in their stands over who ate the last fried mars bar.

 

I think the top 6 local fans will lose interest  fast and stop giving a fook once they realize the cost to travel and how not all games will be played locally at their own home grounds.   United- Barca would be a highly paid game in a place like China or America possibly. Who cares about the chavy united locals?

 

Im tired of these entitled cvnts, fook off!

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I've been banging the drum about the steady Americanisation of football for a few years now. 

 

I cautioned it started with things like language and half time displays. I didn't anticipate this quick a turn over, though. 

People always realise after it's too late.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Most points of view I've read are feature our the fans opinions, but Utd and Liverpool only care about worldwide TV rights, and they'll pay the top dollar for a super league, it will attract the best players and the prem will lose revenue to it and English football will suffer, its bad news all round

 

6 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I would allow them to do it on the condition that they make up the difference in any lost TV money. 

 

So if we end up getting a deal with sky that's 100m or so less, they pay that to the other clubs. 

There are generally three tv audience groups by time zone

european/Middle East/Africa 

amercian

e Asian 

 

Midweek football doesn’t work as Americans are at work and e Asians are in bed

 

for a global tv audience you have to play at weekends

 

the prem wouldn’t allow itself to become the midweek game re global tv rights .........but if the clubs at the top controlled the prem they could change that .......hence project big picture ..... it all pieces together .....

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I've been banging the drum about the steady Americanisation of football for a few years now. 

 

I cautioned it started with things like language and half time displays. I didn't anticipate this quick a turn over, though. 

They had half time displays back in the 60s with the likes of police dogs etc that wasn't Americanisation surely?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There should be no half measures. 

 

None of this, a team here and a team in a European league, they want to get, go. The TV money would be less but we would be left with a really competitive league that pretty much anyone could win and the quality would still ne quiet high. 

 

If we did go that route, my only concern would be that I could see the old firm being invited in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Markyblue
5 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

There should be no half measures. 

 

None of this, a team here and a team in a European league, they want to get, go. The TV money would be less but we would be left with a really competitive league that pretty much anyone could win and the quality would still ne quiet high. 

 

If we did go that route, my only concern would be that I could see the old firm being invited in. 

I briefly thought about the old firm plus maybe ajax sporting and anderlecht but would never happen for multiple reasons, unfortunately a no goer but would be something different. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davieG said:

They had half time displays back in the 60s with the likes of police dogs etc that wasn't Americanisation surely?

Seem to remember we had cheerleaders a few years back, or was that one of those dreams? 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I briefly thought about the old firm plus maybe ajax sporting and anderlecht but would never happen for multiple reasons, unfortunately a no goer but would be something different. 

I COULD see the old firm in this scenario as there is a president set by the likes of Cardiff and Swansea but I think it dilutes the integrity of it.

 

No chance of anyone outside of the UK though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Seem to remember we had cheerleaders a few years back, or was that one of those dreams? 🤣

Yeah back in the90's I think but seems like there's still some around although possibly hired for the occasion.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most that this is really an elitist thing and most people would be happy that they just P off. However when I go to games I also enjoy watching the top players from other teams play and the way their movement and skill is higher than most footballers, we will get to miss out on watching the best players in the world and that would be a shame, not to mention that at the moment we are a team who people talk about breaking into the top 6 etc and without the revenue etc we would just be another team in the "premier" league which would almost become the "championship" league. I hate this elitist mentality as much as the next person but I would rather just Manchester United and Liverpool P off and leave the others here. Liverpool on their high horse just because they are the current Champions, the arrogance is astounding and Manure....well we know how much of a shite elitist arrogant club they are. Hate them with a passion

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think that this will be like having Christmas every day. Eventually it becomes the norm and a normality. Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United may lose revenue in the long term, if this become the permanent league, rather than them playing in the Premier League. 
 

The Premier League is the most watch football league in world football, as it has the money and is on the large competitive. This season will be brilliant as a neutral. I actually wouldn’t oppose Celtic and Rangers playing in English football. We’d need to incorporate the rest of Scottish football though as it would leave the Scottish league damaged. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

So United become shit, Liverpool get shagged by Villa and they want out lol This is the modern day equivalent to a scenario in the playground where the ball owner gets ****ed off and takes the ball away. 

The sad thing about this analogy is that they genuinely believe they own the ball, when they don’t. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Vacamion said:

 

Speaking as someone who has suffered through a number of Partick Thistle v Ayr Utd games, I would ask "Are you absolutely sure about this?", as it is usually pretty grim fare.

 

I can confirm that:

 

a) There was a tiny tremor of excitement when these sides played last season because Partick Thistle poached Ayr Utd's manager mid season.

 

b) Partick Thistle then got relegated to the 3rd tier at lockdown for being bottom of the league (but with a game in hand - an utter stitch up - but that's another story).

 

therefore 

 

c) These two teams are now in different leagues. :(

 

Oh, and there is vanishingly little occurrence of any fighting at that level and they don't do fried Mars bars at the grounds up here, just processed knuckle and spine pies (aka Scotch Pies), purchased more for warmth than nutrition.

 

Sorry, threadjack over, carry on.  :P

 

Ffs such a debbie downer. sheeesh, ruin my macho point. Lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, davieG said:

Yeah back in the90's I think but seems like there's still some around although possibly hired for the occasion.

 

 

Would it surprise anyone to know that I'm the one second left, front row?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Vacamion said:

 

Speaking as someone who has suffered through a number of Partick Thistle v Ayr Utd games, I would ask "Are you absolutely sure about this?", as it is usually pretty grim fare.

 

I can confirm that:

 

a) There was a tiny tremor of excitement when these sides played last season because Partick Thistle poached Ayr Utd's manager mid season.

 

b) Partick Thistle then got relegated to the 3rd tier at lockdown for being bottom of the league (but with a game in hand - an utter stitch up - but that's another story).

 

therefore 

 

c) These two teams are now in different leagues. :(

 

Oh, and there is vanishingly little occurrence of any fighting at that level and they don't do fried Mars bars at the grounds up here, just processed knuckle and spine pies (aka Scotch Pies), purchased more for warmth than nutrition.

 

Sorry, threadjack over, carry on.  :P

 

Get yourself to Rugby Park for a killie pie my friend!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

We'll need to agree to disagree, in 20 odd years of the EPL any "trickle" amount is negligible.

It does trickle down, ask sporting Lisbon. They've sold us so much shite we now own half of Portugal! 

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

It does trickle down, ask sporting Lisbon. They've sold us so much shite we now own half of Portugal! 

Wolves have the other half then, right? :P 

 

If they want to go off and play in their own little pond (thinking it's a lake) then sod them - but it needs to be all or nothing, all out or all in, and if they want back in, as previously suggested, they start at the bottom.  If they merely think they can have their cake and eat it (merely replace the UEFA CL/EL and still be safe in their current existing national leagues), then they really need to be told to sod off :P :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...