boots60

A competent referee & no VAR

2 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

What did VAR have to do with anything? 

ball goes into goal 

linesman - no flag

referee arm towards half way line

celebrate …………….. tbh, i sort of didn't because VAR has killed the immediate response unless its a screamer from 25 yards like madders @ man city

• Like 4

I love var, because it allows games to be fair. But I wish  they would improve it, e.g., in case of very tide offside decisions, e.g., when the blue and red lines that they draw are not clearly separate they should quickly favour the offensive player ... it is annoying when they keep drawing the lines to figure out if the shoulder of one player is maybe 1inch in front of  the ankle of the other player. completely ridiculous. 

11 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

With PL not playing female referees in games I'd say it's because of their worries of, ermmm, hormones and accompanying decision making perhaps? 🤗

I think it depends on the individual female referee, not necessarily on her sex. She needs to be good, fit, and have authority, and imagine some physical presence is also important, which I assume most of the female referees lack. I think  Bibiana Steinhaus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibiana_Steinhaus) had all attributes for a referee. 

VAR decisions should be made according to where the feet are, as in FOOTball, not given on an elbow, a hand or any other part of the body. Some of the disallowed goals are ridiculous.

As for the ref I thought she did a great job. She was authoritative when she needed to be, fair and consistent to both sides and ignored the play acting and falling about to keep the game flowing. One of the best performances from a referee I have seen

Edited by oldbluefox
Added to post
  • Thanks 1

Football as a contact sport, play allowed to continue, good advantages played. 

you shouldn’t notice a ref, it should be a given that they get decisions right, but she was noticeable last night because she was so good! 

36 minutes ago, oldbluefox said:

VAR decisions should be made according to where the feet are, as in FOOTball, not given on an elbow, a hand or any other part of the body. Some of the disallowed goals are ridiculous.

As for the ref I thought she did a great job. She was authoritative when she needed to be, fair and consistent to both sides and ignored the play acting and falling about to keep the game flowing. One of the best performances from a referee I have seen

Offsides can only be given if a body part that you can score with is offside, I.e. Head/Knee/chest...... You CAN'T be offside if your hand or Elbow is off. 

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

First goal in particular with VAR would have been poured over by the man in the box. 

Or when Maddison collided with their defender for Barnes goal. Putting the decision into someone else subjective hands.

Or when offside was given and it was given or the other way around. 

I must admit I poured over Barnes's goal.

Just now, Parafox said:

I thought she let it flow but, another point of view could be that she bottled decisions, (and there were a few borderline and a few where contact was made) rather than have players in her ear protesting. Sian Massey-Ellis seems to be one who will take no shit after witnessing her brushing off Aguero's arm.

It was great to have a good referee in Europe for once. The Athletico game at Filbert Street still haunts my memories.Muzzy could’ve shot with a gun in the penalty area and that ref on day would’ve still waved play on. Would’ve probably booked Muzzy for diving too! 

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

She was decent but it shows how bad ours are that we have to come out and praise it.

And would we have a thread about it if she was a bloke :ph34r:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, UHDrive said:

With PL not playing female referees in games I'd say it's because of their worries of, ermmm, hormones and accompanying decision making perhaps? 🤗

What about, erm, men's hormones playing a roll in decisions. There are many calls we see that might be testosterone driven or influenced, they are that bad.