Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jayfox26

When everyone is fit...

At this point, can't believe I'm saying it but we don't miss Ndidi. Mendy is better at playing positive football in possession and, while I still think Wilf is on another level in the tackle, we look better balanced in Midfield with Nampalys in that position.

That said, if we're still in multiple competitions when he comes back, I can see us rotating the two of them regularly - maybe Wilf for Europa and Mendy for league games, plus whatever happens when the FA Cup begins. When's Wilf due back, again?

• Like 1

It depends who we're playing. We shouldn't be playing counter attacking defensive football against the majority of teams, especially at home.

This would be my main team against teams we think we're man for man better than.

Schmeichel 

Ricardo

Fofana

Soyuncu

Castagne

Mendy

Tielemans

Under

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

Playing against the better teams where we will sit more compact

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Fofana

Evans

Soyuncu

Castagne

Mendy

Tielemans

Praet

Vardy

Barnes

Funnily enough Ndidi wouldn't make the cut in either, Mendy is just so much better on the ball, it helps us when we're trying to shift the ball forwards quickly. I did actually suggest last season that we'd look better without Ndidi in some games due to his poor ability on the ball. Was shouted down quite quickly though :D

I don't think at any point in this season we'll have our first 11 on paper fully fit and available. With Mendy forcing himself back into the team as well, it's given us much better options, especially when Praet seems to have found form too, we can pick 3 of 6 and have 2 good options on the bench. Add to this, Castagne can play as a full back or as a wing back on either side, which Chilwell couldn't, this massively improves our options.

Lastly, the final key has been the two other signings, Under looks fantastic, has quick pace and bringing him on is much better than Gray, who rarely did anything in about 100 or so games for us. Then we've got Fofana who genuinely looks world class at 19 years of age, it allows us to play 2 of 3 CBs (when all fit) and use Morgan as a sub or in rare appearances when the opposition are pumping balls into our box.

Oh and a huge well done to Barnes too, he's started the season looking very sharp, his overall play seems to be a lot better.

I think it will be horses for courses, sometimes 3 CB's sometimes 2, the important thing has been that with all the different combinations of personnel used so far this season things seem to gel quickly in games and everyone seems clear as to what their job is (probably down to Rodgers clarity of explanation, man management and the type of intelligent and willing learning players we are bringing in) unlike some of those F.A. / League cup games where the players look like they've never met each other let alone played together. The thought of some of the combinations...having three VG CB's we trust, having Ricardo overlapping Under (or under-lapping over), seeing how / if a Castagne / Barnes combo on the left can work well, knowing that the likes of Praet, Mendy, Albrighton, even Fuchs in a back 3 can contribute to any game without feeling like we're playing stand-in's. Hopefully there will be a lot of games to come ie a long Euro run, It would be great to have the full pick of the squad but we've created a buffer where we can miss 4-6 bodies and still look the business. 

I would love to see:-

Schmeichel

Ricardo

2 of Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana, really couldn't say which

Castagne

Ndidi

Under, Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes

Vardy

But if Brendan feels we need 3 CB's and a different line up at times then I have the faith that it's the right thing to do and whilst the players seem to understand their roles I'm happy for it to switch from game to game. 

Edited by fazzyfox
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

I think it will be horses for courses, sometimes 3 CB's sometimes 2, the important thing has been that with all the different combinations of personnel used so far this season things seem to gel quickly in games and everyone seems clear as to what their job is (probably down to Rodgers clarity of explanation, man management and the type of intelligent and willing learning players we are bringing in) unlike some of those F.A. / League cup games where the players look like they've never met each other let alone played together. The thought of some of the combinations...having three VG CB's we trust, having Ricardo overlapping Under (or under-lapping over), seeing how / if a Castagne / Barnes combo on the left can work well, knowing that the likes of Praet, Mendy, Albrighton, even Fuchs in a back 3 can contribute to any game without feeling like we're playing stand-in's. Hopefully there will be a lot of games to come ie a long Euro run, It would be great to have the full pick of the squad but we've created a buffer where we can miss 4-6 bodies and still look the business. 

I would love to see:-

Schmeichel

Ricardo

2 of Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana, really couldn't say which

Castagne

Ndidi

Under, Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes

Vardy

But if Brendan feels we need 3 CB's and a different line up at times then I have the faith that it's the right thing to do and whilst the players seem to understand their roles I'm happy for it to switch from game to game. 

If you go to a back three, think you’d drop Fuchs next to Evans and Fofana. I feel it’s been proven that Soyuncu is not the greatest in a three

With a fully fit squad.....

Kasper

Ricardo     Fofana     Soyuncu   castagne

Ndidi

Tielemans      Maddison

Ünder                                               Barnes

Vardy

The trick to this formation would be Ndidi. He showed in pre season that he was capable at CB and with the success of 5 at the back recently.... I would play 451 but when under the cosh or the situation demands, he falls back into defence with the fullbacks pushing up to wing backs and the wingers tucking in. Although, in that scenario, Praet and Tielemans would probably offer a more balanced CM than Youri and Madisson would. 

Could be such a fluid formation.

I still think I prefer 433 to 4231 when everyone is fit. In that shape I'd have Ndidi over Mendy as a ball winner. 

What Mendy does better than Ndidi is actually the half of Kante's game that was under rated. That was what he did AFTER winning the tackle. Kante's most important attribute to us was his dynamism and energy to immediately turn defensive in to attack with a surging burst through the middle of the park. 

Mendy similarly is excellent at collecting the ball deep and immediately looking to be positive and get us forward, where Ndidi tends to slow the play down a little. 

The thing is, this is all well and good when we're parking the bus and countering but in games we expect to control, play a higher line and exert ourselves, it's more important that the anchor man in our midfield actually be an athletic and dominating ball winner. I'd still very much take Ndidi in that regard.

When we've got two attacking wingers in Barnes and Under, two of the best  overlapping full backs in the league in Castagne and Ricardo as well as two of the most creative midfielders going in Madders and Tielemans, we won't be lacking in invention. What we'll need is a six foot wrecking ball with octopus legs and a never ending battery. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Ricardo is a class act but I would be concerned for him coming back. He may not be the player he was sadly.

That's why we have to be patient with him on return. After a long-term injury he's bound to have to take a few games and a few weeks to get up to speed with how we are playing these days. 

16 minutes ago, StanSP said:

That's why we have to be patient with him on return. After a long-term injury he's bound to have to take a few games and a few weeks to get up to speed with how we are playing these days. 

Quite, and I hope we show patience in introducing his slowly, like with Maddison, but even more so due to the injury and the time he has been out. Guessing that the fact he is being introduced to the squad both in training and Euro trips that this will be the case.

5 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I'd play Ndidi as a centre back in the 3 when it's 5, and when it's 4 he can be the anchor in midfield. 

5 at the back = Mendy in midfield 

4 at the back = Wilf in the middle. 

Simple.:)

Not likely when we have Fofana, Evans and Cags unless one of them Is injured 

12 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Not for me. Mendy is better on the ball. See the way he takes the ball forward as well. I agree they are different kind of players but together they don’t work.

I was a critic of Mendys, especially when he "re-signed", but he has really impressed me since coming in.

Not advocating they play together. We already saw that mess under Puel.

Instead saying it’s Ndidi over Mendy for me (except for situational circumstances).

19 hours ago, Foxymcoxy said:

Serious Ndidi disrespect in here honestly. 

I've never been a massive fan tbf. I think what he does winning the ball back is very good but basics like control, passing and bringing the ball out has always been a problem for him. Mendy does those so well, look at that turn at Man City which started the move for the goal - N'didi wouldn't have done that.

You look at the best defensive midfielders in the league and they all have so much to their all round game (Rodri/Fernandinho/Fabinho).

Edited by Fox92

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I've never been a massive fan tbf. I think what he does winning the ball back is very good but basics like control, passing and bringing the ball out has always been a problem for him. Mendy does those so well, look at that turn at Man City which started the move for the goal - N'didi wouldn't have done that.

You look at the best defensive midfielders in the league and they all have so much to their all round game (Rodri/Fernandinho/Fabinho).

In games where we are playing teams who attack us and believe they can beat us then Mendy is ok to start attacks quicker and support YT.

Its the games vs the West Ham’s, Wolves, Newcastle’s Etc. Teams that sit deep and are physical. These games are where we struggle with Mendy and need Ndidi more.

Wolves this weekend will be the big test. I believe this will be a good test for BR to see if he can adjust. Our 5 at the back system won’t vs Wolves at all.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Each to their own. I look at the best defensive midfielders in the league and I see Ndidi.