Jump to content
AndyMaidenhead

Brendan's analysis of Liverpool defeat

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Corky said:

Last night was understandable. West Ham, Norwich, Bournemouth- not so much.

 

I'm not saying he's doing a bad job- far from it. But we need to cut out the limp performances and give everyone a tough game, as we did in the title winning season.

Agree - but that's not what I/we was/were discussing :) 

 

No matter. Time will tell.

Edited by HighPeakFox
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Sorry..I Don t believe even you thought so "at the beginning"...

Top many taking this Football lark..Too far..every Single game..!!! Like I said nonsense...

Teams performances go up & down,we are trying to reach that higher level....consistently

we arent has Good an all round squad than L'pool, we have an higher Quality of player,but still Just  not that high.

The season will Not depends on Single games,but 4-7 game overlapping periods....ja fairer

 

1 game Winning....manager is Masterclass

1 game Losing......manager had a Bad day......Sorry fking nonsense

 

I personally if given the descision, would Not of Played Tielemans...Too many turnouts in a Short period,Hardley being subbed..!!

I wouldnt Play him on Thursday....But my individual thoughts doesn't give me the right to Lambast the manager EVERY time....

 

No fan, IMO has The Football intuelect, to Take on criticising any manager/player every Cherry picked week...even on a Football forum.

One simple reason is....he has 11-15 other reasons Why Tactical ideas, or Set ups can go Tits up....or like other weeks Work out perfectly.

Fans using the revolving door...of plaudits/criticism every Single week is nonsense & frankly ridiculous...

 

The Hype that came out of this forum this week, is the reason this morning,that People are taking the frustrating,Kick out at Everything attitude.

We have not  a balanced forum attitude, which actually  sprays out more of entitled tripe, than anything the manager/ players dishes up..!!!

 

we lost to a Damn Good organized team ( even without a manager) ,they have higher Quality fringe players,who all happen also to be present Champions

& most likely again champions-elect...it just could be, they didnt allow us to Play our game,no matter what in field channels we chose....

Tielemans/Maddison/Barnes started brightly but were eventually Squeezed out and free Space Chased down..!!!

We are Not yet that finished product...and Really cant carry Major injuries, like the traditional Top billionaire clubs can....

Two major, not One issues hit us last night,that you cant afford, or try to regain equalibrium....

That was Barnes ( again) big miss & that crazy weird OG of Evans.  Upto then we were reasonably holding our own...

 

I Dont Think this Club's fans  have yet  earnt the right,to be whiners or  moaners of club/team-management or individual players,where it has only just started

to compete at the higher end of the PL scale.....We are losing our humble dry wit of Common Place ,Humor & fair balanced commentory..!!  :ill:

 

Think of this...If we are struggling with major injuries to a very Mediocre but talented squad & International games,with too many exhausting  games in

a ridiculous short Time span,no Real game-prep, ..With Covid - inititiated individual stress & bubbles..

Then Why oh fking Why can we have The Audacity to throw in Way Off , audactical, nonsense, criticism....We aint even paying for it..!!

 

My comment really did not require a dissertation, so my apologies that I couldn’t go through the above. 

Managers, just like players, have good and bad days, and last night was a POOR one for Brendan (just like the players).

 

Frankly, genuinely baffled why it seems that some FTers cannot deal with the rather basic concept of the manager or a player (just like anyone else for that matter) getting alternatively commended/hailed for a great/good performance and condemned/criticized for a poor one.

 

Edited by NaijaFox
Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter which tactics Brendan employed last night, including which personnel he employed. We were outclassed by one of the two best club teams in the world, albeit it was their "B team". 

 

Put it another way, based on the performances last night, which of our players on the field would have got in their B team? Answer? Not one - including Vardy. Sacrilege, I know, but Jota, Firminho and Mané absolutely destroyed us, and it should have been 6.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mythyaar said:

It doesn't matter which tactics Brendan employed last night, including which personnel he employed. We were outclassed by one of the two best club teams in the world, albeit it was their "B team". 

 

Put it another way, based on the performances last night, which of our players on the field would have got in their B team? Answer? Not one - including Vardy. Sacrilege, I know, but Jota, Firminho and Mané absolutely destroyed us, and it should have been 6.

You could say the same about Man City, but Brendan somehow “employed” the tactics to trash them at home!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

without castagne and Ricardo to push us forward we struggled. Soyuncu will come in for evans. We were outclassed but limited in comparison to what a team like Liverpool who have spent millions can put out. We’ve done beyond what we should have done with the injuries and shouldn’t be too down about losing this one. I expected a better performance but albrighton was totally lost and evans hasn’t been playing well of late. Both were totally exposed 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Praet for Maddison is what most would have called for but Dennis would have struggled just as much out there. He isnt the fastest and Liverpool would have jumped all over that (which they did)

 

With Kevin, an injured Evans and Fuchs all in defence the urgency of Maddison was needed even if it didn't come to pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blue ROI said:

Praet for Maddison is what most would have called for but Dennis would have struggled just as much out there. He isnt the fastest and Liverpool would have jumped all over that (which they did)

 

With Kevin, an injured Evans and Fuchs all in defence the urgency of Maddison was needed even if it didn't come to pass.

It’s all hypothesis now, but I nonetheless believe that Praet would have offered Albrighton more defensive support than Madders did.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We were not right in the heAd last nite. Maybe at the beginning with all the hugs and high 5’s which the Liverpool players also were doing but the difference was Liverpool backed it up while our lot looked they wanted to do the bare minimum! Was it tiredness, fatigue or attitude? You can see nice the game got going that Liverpool showed energy & intent and were not gonna slow down. Our players should have matched it. Instead we allowed the momentum to swing for Liverpool. In games like these I want to see Brendan get up from his seat, throw down the blasted note pad and start screaming at the players! If we see it than surely he does too. Get instructions to the players to step up immediately. The malaise should not be allowed to set it. Foffana was stepping up which was risky for us but he started attacks on his own (not his job) but he tried. Our one golden opportunity fell to our golden boy who simply had to place it on target but of course he couldn’t. That would have changed the game. Suddenly we could have gone on the ascendency and Liverpool have doubts. All we did was give them the belief we were of no threat and so it proved out. Thanks to kasper for keeping the scoreline from becoming a bloodbath. Where are our leaders when we need them? We’ve been in these situations before and why are we not learning from them? Sheez :@

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NaijaFox said:

My comment really did not require a dissertation, so my apologies that I couldn’t go through the above. 

Managers, just like players, have good and bad days, and last night was a POOR one for Brendan (just like the players).

 

Frankly, genuinely baffled why it seems that some FTers cannot deal with the rather basic concept of the manager or a player (just like anyone else for that matter) getting alternatively commended/hailed for a great/good performance and condemned/criticized for a poor one.

 

Sorry I Dont believe Football or participants can be plonked down ,or pushed into such boxes....

Its all about ifs, & buts with various twists & turns,in certain moments, or period of any running game &  periods during the season...Hoi

The better Teams have more Skills & Quality in their control but still can Slip up on Contrary reasons..Hoi

Just because we Beat a Team doesn't particular mean our manager was better on the day, Rodgers is Not better than Pep or Nuno, cos we won this season..

 

Yesterday we das 2 crazy & for us poor turning points...The Own goal & Barnes miss,also Another day we get the Penalty descision...

The game then takes another course....Rodgers & Team can follow their planned ideas...I Think we are a Good team,we have found tactics & System that

is working majority of the time...But we aint such a Great &  that team, at that levelthat some posters will have us... 

Our better players at the moment are not fit enough or mentality so strong, & there are various mitigating circumstances why not..

 

I see no reason every week,to get on Silly punditry bandwagons, & commiting oneself to contradicting turns on every Single result,every week..!!

Its Not possible to have a Good manager One week & a poor One the next....The individual Days Dont make out how Good the manager is...

Its how the bigger Pictures progress & turn out, there will be tweeks,experiments what One chooses, especially when Facing long Term periods of Not

having your best Ressources available or only at half/three quarter pace... Evans,Tielemans,Fofana,Maddison,Praet & questionably Vardy & Under...

This Problem denies the manager expanded Choice & chances to turn it up a notch or change the pace..!!

 

For Football & Non Football reasons,this is a weird period for all sports, for fans,for Joe public,I See no sense in trying to go too deep into the Mist to find

Unnecessary negatives....I am Happy Sport is being presented, Players &  managers have carte-blanche for 2020-2021 ( Maybe longer) I See no reason

to have a dig...I will Take & Enjoy  the Great moments ,also the frustrating ones. Especially when I know & See we have a developing Team & manager..

We  are not paying the manager for what he is, but for the potential where he can Take us....

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I see no reason every week,to get on Silly punditry bandwagons, & commiting oneself to contradicting turns on every Single result,every week..!!

Its Not possible to have a Good manager One week & a poor One the next....The individual Days Dont make out how Good the manager is...

Its how the bigger Pictures progress & turn out, there will be tweeks,experiments what One chooses, especially when Facing long Term periods of Not

having your best Ressources available or only at half/three quarter pace... Evans,Tielemans,Fofana,Maddison,Praet & questionably Vardy & Under...

This Problem denies the manager expanded Choice & chances to turn it up a notch or change the pace..!!

It's possible for a good manager (or player) to have a good performance one week and a poor one the next!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

It's possible for a good manager (or player) to have a good performance one week and a poor one the next!

I Dont look at it like that....different People have different Perspectives on what is  considered Good or poor.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Sorry I Dont believe Football or participants can be plonked down ,or pushed into such boxes....

Its all about ifs, & buts with various twists & turns,in certain moments, or period of any running game &  periods during the season...Hoi

The better Teams have more Skills & Quality in their control but still can Slip up on Contrary reasons..Hoi

Just because we Beat a Team doesn't particular mean our manager was better on the day, Rodgers is Not better than Pep or Nuno, cos we won this season..

 

Yesterday we das 2 crazy & for us poor turning points...The Own goal & Barnes miss,also Another day we get the Penalty descision...

The game then takes another course....Rodgers & Team can follow their planned ideas...I Think we are a Good team,we have found tactics & System that

is working majority of the time...But we aint such a Great &  that team, at that levelthat some posters will have us... 

Our better players at the moment are not fit enough or mentality so strong, & there are various mitigating circumstances why not..

 

I see no reason every week,to get on Silly punditry bandwagons, & commiting oneself to contradicting turns on every Single result,every week..!!

Its Not possible to have a Good manager One week & a poor One the next....The individual Days Dont make out how Good the manager is...

Its how the bigger Pictures progress & turn out, there will be tweeks,experiments what One chooses, especially when Facing long Term periods of Not

having your best Ressources available or only at half/three quarter pace... Evans,Tielemans,Fofana,Maddison,Praet & questionably Vardy & Under...

This Problem denies the manager expanded Choice & chances to turn it up a notch or change the pace..!!

 

For Football & Non Football reasons,this is a weird period for all sports, for fans,for Joe public,I See no sense in trying to go too deep into the Mist to find

Unnecessary negatives....I am Happy Sport is being presented, Players &  managers have carte-blanche for 2020-2021 ( Maybe longer) I See no reason

to have a dig...I will Take & Enjoy  the Great moments ,also the frustrating ones. Especially when I know & See we have a developing Team & manager..

We  are not paying the manager for what he is, but for the potential where he can Take us....

 

 

 

I agree with some of your comments, however I like to hear everyone's opinions good or bad. Yes time is needed to develop and mitigating circumstances should be taken into account, however a poor team performance should be called out for what it is a poor performance, and that's what we were subjected too when we are capable of so much more!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mythyaar said:

It doesn't matter which tactics Brendan employed last night, including which personnel he employed. We were outclassed by one of the two best club teams in the world, albeit it was their "B team". 

 

Put it another way, based on the performances last night, which of our players on the field would have got in their B team? Answer? Not one - including Vardy. Sacrilege, I know, but Jota, Firminho and Mané absolutely destroyed us, and it should have been 6.

vardy , evans and fofana would get in. 

 

you're giving way too much credit to liverpool and not talking about that shocking performance. 3 players showed up, jj, schmeichel and fofana. any half decent team would've put us to the sword playing like that. look at what west ham did.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The International break certainly didn't help. Brendan Rodgers gives the impression that he's thorough in his preparation, and it's likely that had very little time with some of the players on the traning ground for such an important game. Not making excuses for a dismal performance but it surely couldn't have helped.

Edited by l444ry
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Corky said:

Agreed. It's why I don't see him progressing much higher than us, the outside press wouldn't stand for the limp displays we show (and it was a feature of his last season at Liverpool).

 

He's too erratic for the really big jobs now. He's a level below. He's got a big task here- should he stay for the remainder of his contract, he's going to have to think about replacing Vardy, he'll lose key older heads too. He has a great opportunity though.

In what way is he too erratic?  We were sitting top of the table before this game.  Yes he needs to take blame for this game and the way we set up but he also needs credit for the fantastic high scoring wins too.

 

I still say missing our stars is far more problematic than Liverpool who have a much better overall squad.  Honestly! I do not know what he is meant to do to win over some of you.  Perhaps consistently crap Puel Ball would be better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, l444ry said:

The International break certainly didn't help. Brendan Rodgers gives the impression that he's thorough in his preparation, and it's likely that had very little time with some of the players on the traning ground for such an important game. Not making excuses for a dismal performance but it surely couldn't have helped.

...I  felt  if we had played Liverpool next before an International break then it would have been a game too far!!!

  Having the break was going to be a double edged sword and it could either rejuvenate us or a disruption to our flow. The performance we gave was way below what I expected from a group of players who have bought into the managers vision and were backing each other. So what was so different, we can't  keep eulogising the Liverpool style instead of looking at what we can bring to the game and the belief that we were intimated when we got on the pitch, well I can't see Vardy, Kasper,  Evans or Albrighton being intimidated by their surroundings. 

  We just did not turn up once again against the big boys and I do not believe it's due to being intimidated just the instructions that were given prior to stepping on the pitch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

vardy , evans and fofana would get in. 

 

you're giving way too much credit to liverpool and not talking about that shocking performance. 3 players showed up, jj, schmeichel and fofana. any half decent team would've put us to the sword playing like that. look at what west ham did.

Started off well but lost his head about a quarter of the way through the match.  Think he was too eager to show the world what a player he is (he will be one of the best around one day) and lost his discipline.  I am sure he will learn from it a become a better player because of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

In what way is he too erratic?  We were sitting top of the table before this game.  Yes he needs to take blame for this game and the way we set up but he also needs credit for the fantastic high scoring wins too.

 

I still say missing our stars is far more problematic than Liverpool who have a much better overall squad.  Honestly! I do not know what he is meant to do to win over some of you.  Perhaps consistently crap Puel Ball would be better.

..I think it all comes down to the way we competed...that's all people are saying!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

..I think it all comes down to the way we competed...that's all people are saying!!!

And he has said they were not aggresive enough which in my opinion is also a s fair a point as the tactics.  They won nearly every header, second ball and 50-50.  Not good enough from the players who need to man up!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

And he has said they were not aggresive enough which in my opinion is also a s fair a point as the tactics.  They won nearly every header, second ball and 50-50.  Not good enough from the players who need to man up!!

...but why did they not man up!!!

We have seen this performance over and over against the big boys. If he can't motivate his players then that is  down to him.

  I would love to know what he had said to the team prior to going on the pitch. I bet their was a lot of mixed and contradictory instructions given and why the players looked like strangers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or they bottled it at Anfield.  It happens.  I saw it a number of times under Martin O'Neill and that is the most combatitive team we have ever had.  Better quality and more fight from Liverpool.  We have been using the dark arts of defending a little more this season so far to stop attacks but there was none of that on show on Sunday.  I can not imagine he would change this against the best team in the country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Or they bottled it at Anfield.  It happens.  I saw it a number of times under Martin O'Neill and that is the most combatitive team we have ever had.  Better quality and more fight from Liverpool.  We have been using the dark arts of defending a little more this season so far to stop attacks but there was none of that on show on Sunday.  I can not imagine he would change this against the best team in the country.

..we could not get out of defence in order to commit players forward and being hit on the break!!!

  We have made a lot of professional fouls this season, scrambling back to stop being countered and that does not happen if you haven't got the ball or can not string three passes together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...