Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Christ if he can cross, which he can, he must start. Our set piece delivery is awful 9/10. Maddison is class, and he’s got a nice haircut and that, but his set pieces don’t often beat the first man.


And it’s so frustrating because remember the high proportion of goals that are scored from set pieces. There’s a reason why O’Neill had Guppy in the same team as Walsh, Elliott, Taggart, Heskey. God thinking of Guppy’s left foot is the stuff of dreams! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

How was barnes ever slow?? That's like saying at 18 years old that someone could turn me into Usain Bolt 🤔

No it’s not  your not a professional  sports person for starters . When Barnes first came onto the scene everyone was saying he was too slow for the Premiership and this was when he was on various loans and a lot younger. His speed has improved immensely the last couple of seasons with his body maturing and various training techniques so yes he’s has faster . Just like people get stronger as they mature . 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

No it’s not  your not a professional  sports person for starters . When Barnes first came onto the scene everyone was saying he was too slow for the Premiership and this was when he was on various loans and a lot younger. His speed has improved immensely the last couple of seasons with his body maturing and various training techniques so yes he’s has faster . Just like people get stronger as they mature . 

"everyone" - sorry but they weren't.

A handful of people maybe, mostly the same ones who are usually looking to accentuate the negative and write people off without giving them a fair chance. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

No it’s not  your not a professional  sports person for starters . When Barnes first came onto the scene everyone was saying he was too slow for the Premiership and this was when he was on various loans and a lot younger. His speed has improved immensely the last couple of seasons with his body maturing and various training techniques so yes he’s has faster . Just like people get stronger as they mature . 

I was an international athlete at junior and senior stage both cross country and track and field 800/1500m. My professional experience is that yes you can increase muscle power but that's it. Muscle fibres are down to genetics and you cannot increase the sorts of speeds that you are referring to from barnes to thomas. Its ludicrous to even suggest it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I was an international athlete at junior and senior stage both cross country and track and field 800/1500m. My professional experience is that yes you can increase muscle power but that's it. Muscle fibres are down to genetics and you cannot increase the sorts of speeds that you are referring to from barnes to thomas. Its ludicrous to even suggest it.

Spot on with this I  wasn't as good as you defiantly not a  international; standard 1500m like you, I was a county standard runner who ran at national level. But even from that level you don't increase you speeds massivly, by the time you reach 18 its there or it isn't. you get stronger. say you run a 4 10 at 1500 you can get that down with strength work, but your not going to gain natural speed.

 

Mo farah ran like bambi at 15 trust me, you either have it most of the time or you don't.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I was an international athlete at junior and senior stage both cross country and track and field 800/1500m. My professional experience is that yes you can increase muscle power but that's it. Muscle fibres are down to genetics and you cannot increase the sorts of speeds that you are referring to from barnes to thomas. Its ludicrous to even suggest it.

Plenty of variables with running and football though, I think there's been more aggression and explosion of short bursts of pace now that he has developed and matured as a PL player, whether he's actually materially quicker is uncertain.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Texted some of my old Wreake Valley school friends who are now scattered around the world that someone from our school just scored for Leicester City, and I was quickly reminded that by the time I’d left Wreake Luke Thomas hadn’t even been born. 
 

**** my life. 

My new claim to fame... Turns out i went to the same school as @urban.spaceman

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he keeps improving and if selection for england was fair he could displace chilwell as the england starting LB in 3-4 seasons, definitely got the talent for it. (Also assuming Ricky P moves on in that time frame and Thomas gets a run at a starting spot here.)

Edited by honeybradger
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

I was an international athlete at junior and senior stage both cross country and track and field 800/1500m. My professional experience is that yes you can increase muscle power but that's it. Muscle fibres are down to genetics and you cannot increase the sorts of speeds that you are referring to from barnes to thomas. Its ludicrous to even suggest it.

I’m not suggesting he will get to Barnes

 pace I am merely saying hopefully  he will be able to increase his speed like Barnes has . Yes you are limited by genetics and muscle fibre but that doesn’t mean you cannot improve your speed or strength especially when you’re a 19 year old lad . Wasn’t it said that Vardy clocked his quickest times in preseason last year and was at his fastest . If he can improve his speed in his 30’s I’m sure Luke can at 19. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nwl fox said:

"everyone" - sorry but they weren't.

A handful of people maybe, mostly the same ones who are usually looking to accentuate the negative and write people off without giving them a fair chance. 

Ok NOT everyone but a lot of people that watched  him play and they were their observations arc the ten not just to flag him off . 

Edited by baldeagle
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, UHDrive said:

How was barnes ever slow?? That's like saying at 18 years old that someone could turn me into Usain Bolt 🤔

He was. And yes, you can improve your pace even at a later age depends of course how musclar you are. It's just get difficult with age as you need put more work on it

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlackFox said:

He was. And yes, you can improve your pace even at a later age depends of course how musclar you are. It's just get difficult with age as you need put more work on it

You cant. It's all about your muscle twitch fibres and how responsive they are. It's why ethnic athletes like bolt are prime examples because it is in their dna to twitch those muscle fibres faster. This is no different to football players no matter the ethnicity. 

 

You can train all you want (which thomas has had a considerable amount of) and he has another year or 2 of physical maturity. However given that he must already be not far from maxed out training wise and speed wise with the help of the club then it's highly unlikely he will miraculously get faster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

You cant. It's all about your muscle twitch fibres and how responsive they are. It's why ethnic athletes like bolt are prime examples because it is in their dna to twitch those muscle fibres faster. This is no different to football players no matter the ethnicity. 

 

You can train all you want (which thomas has had a considerable amount of) and he has another year or 2 of physical maturity. However given that he must already be not far from maxed out training wise and speed wise with the help of the club then it's highly unlikely he will miraculously get faster.

No ones saying he’s miraculously going to get faster or get to Bolts speed just that he can get faster . Taking Bolt as an example with natural genetics  he was running in youth and junior races, at 19 he was fast but not as fast as when he was 23  and broke the world record, so he got faster did he not . As for muscle fibre there are slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibres both  of which can be trained and improved . 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, baldeagle said:

Similar was said about Barnes when he first came on the scene and he’s now rapid . 

Barnes has always been rapid in whatever age/standard he's played at!   

I said as much on this forum 2/3 years ago and got shouted down by someone who said he wasn't rapid just "because he wasnt as fast as Vardy".  Bit weird really as you wouldn't call Vardy slow just because he's not as fast as Usain Bolte

Cant remember who it was but thankfully he hasn't contacted me since... 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Impressed, as I have been with him all season. For 19 years old he's class.

 

Plenty for him to work on, but you can tell there's a real player here. For me the most impressive aspects of his game are his awareness of what's going on around him and ability to pick the right pass at the right time.

 

Agree with that, he can be a bit suspect defensively but is excellent with his vision and delivery of the football. His defensive side will mature with age and experience and improvement on that part of the game is almost a given. Even at 19 you're usually a baller or you aren't and that side of the game can rarely drastically improve. He can go very far in the game and has a higher ceiling than Chilwell, whether he gets as far as Chilwell in the game is up to him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone’s saying about pace but Fuchs hasn’t been a bad full back for us and he’s never been blessed with speed. Even when he was doing it in the Champions League for Schalke he was never quick.

 

I get the games changed in terms of demands from a full back but quality is quality and Luke has it in abundance. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...