Jump to content
nnickn

Leicester progression

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

In this order.

1. Centre back

2. Striker

3. Winger

4. Centre midfielder

 

With wes and fuchs hanging up their boots in the summer, Centre back is the critical one for me. Amartey isn't reliable enough from a fitness point of view.  

Striker

Centre back

Winger

Box to box midfielder

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

In this order.

1. Centre back

2. Striker

3. Winger

4. Centre midfielder

 

With wes and fuchs hanging up their boots in the summer, Centre back is the critical one for me. Amartey isn't reliable enough from a fitness point of view.  

 

Unless you know something about departures that we don't, not sure I agree. Playing three at the back shouldn't be a long term goal, we've got Fofana, Evans and Cags - not many teams in the league have more than three starting quality CBs. Meanwhile, we're desperate for an option / long term replacement for Vardy and I'm still not entirely convinced we've solved the winger issue.

 

I'm not saying we don't want to sign a CB but as a priority it'd probably be my 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, Striker is the most pressing one.

 

I quite like Iheanacho, but I don't think he can lead the line by himself in the same way that Vardy can. I think 'Nacho is a good enough back-up, but the drop off in quality compared to Vardy is still massive.

 

We will never sign a striker as good as Vardy - I think I can say that with near certainty - but we do need to aim for a 'world class' (or as close to as we can get in Leicester) Striker, because 1). Vardy is 34 in just over a month, even he will drop off eventually and 2). If Vardy gets an injury, we're screwed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

 

Unless you know something about departures that we don't, not sure I agree. Playing three at the back shouldn't be a long term goal, we've got Fofana, Evans and Cags - not many teams in the league have more than three starting quality CBs. Meanwhile, we're desperate for an option / long term replacement for Vardy and I'm still not entirely convinced we've solved the winger issue.

 

I'm not saying we don't want to sign a CB but as a priority it'd probably be my 3.

Brendan wants to play this system long term.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nnickn said:

If we are to continue our  progress, what is the next position to be improved?

Obviously taking into account everyone is fit, the most glaring must be an update on Harvey for the first team, and Kelle for back up.

 

These seem to be the most urgent, and if we are going to spend in the Jan window, where it will be directed.

If Barnes continues to work on his finishing, he’ll be scouted by a number of much bigger clubs. Young players are working progress. For every miss against Liverpool there is a quality finish like last night. 
 

You have no clue if you class his role in this squad as “most urgent” to upgrade.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Weve got 4 highly rated keepers coming through.

 

Bosworth was u18s academy player if the year and England youth.

Iversen as I said did really well at Rotherham.

Stolarczyk again a youth International and highly rated.

Odunze has just been called up to the national squad, although I've heard reports hes crap.

 

Its not an area I think we struggle in really. 

It’s one thing being highly rated by the academy but if we are to progress we need to improve and buy an elite proven goalkeeper 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot of players that we have previously been interested in will be down to the last year of their contract or on a free next summer. If we have another season of Europe, it will important we continue to strengthen. Especially if huge characters in our dressing room like wes and fuchs leave. Will also be dependant upon which first team player we sell on who we target i suppose. 

Edited by North Leeds Fox
Link to post
Share on other sites

Progression for me is to continue next season with european football at the Kingpower, I don't want to do a Wolves and get it one season and drop out of it the following season.  Also we will sell a player for a lot of money next year, so I hope the money will continue to be spent wisley.....Striker, Centre Back and maybe a Winger, I think we could be covered for the Midfield with KDH, who's getting rave reviews from Luton, returning next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The next thing we need to do is get Caglar and Fofana playing together without Evans there to steward them.

Think that may take some time, both are very aggressive and natural what to rush out.

 

Think both of them need more experience, I'd imagine it will 12-18 months before they are the regular partnership. Evans slips into the Morgan role.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kyleolly said:

It’s one thing being highly rated by the academy but if we are to progress we need to improve and buy an elite proven goalkeeper 

Which would cost us 30-40m, no chance we are doing that when we will be looking for a long term successor's to Vardy, which is probably going to cost the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Buce said:

 

Said this in the match thread: if we have serious aspirations to be an elite side, we need to be looking at an upgrade for Kasper. I know he kept us in the game yesterday but being a good shot-stopper is not enough at the highest level, and his overall game is weak, imo. He doesn't command his area, which puts undue pressure on the defence at set-pieces, and his kicking is a liability.

 

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think sentiment gets in the way when we discuss replacing him.

 

Back when the dinosaurs were alive and Forest were winning things, Cloughie said Shilton was worth x amount of points (I forget the figure he quoted) per season, and he was spot on. Forest weren't a particularly good side but their success was built on not conceding much. We can all point to games where Kasper has saved us points (true of all keepers), but there are just as many where he has cost us points, and that's not a ratio you get from an elite keeper.

 

 

Appreciate this, brave. I got slaughtered for similar in the match thread.


I actually think this works both ways too. He's been so loyal that we should accept and offer from one last exciting project for him if it comes in.

 

Making big decisions on goalkeepers and ignoring loyalty won Man City and Liverpool a title.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

To improve the current first team, it’s the same weakness we had last season, namely a right-sided attacker. Under may come good but that looks about 50:50 so far. So a Thauvin, Stengs or similar. That’s probably so even if Under stays - with Barnes we’d have three quality wide attackers for 1-2 places per match.

 

In terms of improving the squad, the priority IMO is another no.8 to compete with/provide cover for Tielemans (in particular).

 

Finally, succession planning will see us looking to replace Big Wes & Fuchs with (ideally) a LCB, a striker to replace Iheanacho or Perez in the squad but primarily to succeed Vardy in time - Edouard for example, and a keeper, either from within or recruited, to be Kasper’s successor in a couple of seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Buce said:

 

Said this in the match thread: if we have serious aspirations to be an elite side, we need to be looking at an upgrade for Kasper. I know he kept us in the game yesterday but being a good shot-stopper is not enough at the highest level, and his overall game is weak, imo. He doesn't command his area, which puts undue pressure on the defence at set-pieces, and his kicking is a liability.

 

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think sentiment gets in the way when we discuss replacing him.

 

Back when the dinosaurs were alive and Forest were winning things, Cloughie said Shilton was worth x amount of points (I forget the figure he quoted) per season, and he was spot on. Forest weren't a particularly good side but their success was built on not conceding much. We can all point to games where Kasper has saved us points (true of all keepers), but there are just as many where he has cost us points, and that's not a ratio you get from an elite keeper.

 

 

Isnt it the Time of year...for another One of your hikes....:P

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Buce said:

 

Said this in the match thread: if we have serious aspirations to be an elite side, we need to be looking at an upgrade for Kasper. I know he kept us in the game yesterday but being a good shot-stopper is not enough at the highest level, and his overall game is weak, imo. He doesn't command his area, which puts undue pressure on the defence at set-pieces, and his kicking is a liability.

 

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think sentiment gets in the way when we discuss replacing him.

 

Back when the dinosaurs were alive and Forest were winning things, Cloughie said Shilton was worth x amount of points (I forget the figure he quoted) per season, and he was spot on. Forest weren't a particularly good side but their success was built on not conceding much. We can all point to games where Kasper has saved us points (true of all keepers), but there are just as many where he has cost us points, and that's not a ratio you get from an elite keeper.

 

 

I said this years ago. Not about Kasper but other players. People cling onto players because of what they've done here but there's no room for sentiment in football.

 

I always use Fergie as an example because during my life Man Utd have dominated the PL era but he wouldn't keep old players, and sometimes they were captains, for the sake of it. It's all about rebuilding. AjcW is right above in terms of Liverpool/Man City not being loyal, and going out to get new goalkeepers which helped them winning the league, and you only have to look at other players - Pep has let Zabaletta/Silva/Kompany/Hart all go and Fernandinho/Aguero will be next.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Find this view baffling given kasper has kept us in both the last games.

 

People moaning about his distribution need to realise we had an entire midfield avoiding the ball which didn't help.

I’m sure you don’t find it baffling @Abrasive fox ? It’s not just me and we now have a thread on Kasper’s kicking. 
 

He made some great saves against both Liverpool & Braga, but his distribution and reluctance (refusal?) to come for crosses cost us goals in both games.

 

I acknowledge that our midfield was hopelessly outplayed in Braga until Tielemans came on.

 

He’s a legend and I don’t want him gone any time soon. But. But there are reasons no team bigger than us have ever tried to sign him, and those reasons are being laid bare match by match.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

It’s about time we ditched Rachel Riley and all agreed on some other sort.

 

She supports Man Utd for starters and goes out with some strange looking dancing bloke 

Ditched her years ago. Attention seeker. She can go in the "what grinds my gears" for me.

 

Do people actually still reference her :/

 

Edited by Fox92
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...