Jump to content
weller54

Everton (H)..pre match thread

Recommended Posts

Depends how we want to go at Spurs too, you don't want Fuchs playing 3 games a week if you can avoid it. Calvert-lewin will be a real threat given how we defend crosses and Kasper never leaving his line. Morgan could be an option but we'll have to play a three. Fofana, Morgan and Ndidi maybe. Can't see us risking Castagne from the start. 

 

I hope we play 4, and concentrate on being a threat ourselves. Need to ensure we don't concede early on, we seem to need time to grow into a game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, I'd go with Big Wes to counter DCL's power. Under and Barnes to start on the wings. Start Thomas instead of Fuchs.

 

Think this could be an entertaining 2-2 or something similar.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing is absolutely certain, we will be caught wide open in the opening 30 mins to a Richarlison header, just got to hope this time we manage to save it.

 

We often start horribly against this lot, so it would be nice to see us start the game and take it to them for once. Evans being out makes it quite difficult to go 4 at the back so I think 3-4-2-1 is probably the best system for the personnel we have available. However I'd play Barnes and Ünder behind Vardy as Everton are very vulnerable to being overloaded by wingers and full backs with their disruption at the back. Would be harsh on Perez and Maddison or Tielemans but we need to keep rotating anyway where possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

One thing is absolutely certain, we will be caught wide open in the opening 30 mins to a Richarlison header, just got to hope this time we manage to save it.

 

We often start horribly against this lot, so it would be nice to see us start the game and take it to them for once. Evans being out makes it quite difficult to go 4 at the back so I think 3-4-2-1 is probably the best system for the personnel we have available. However I'd play Barnes and Ünder behind Vardy as Everton are very vulnerable to being overloaded by wingers and full backs with their disruption at the back. Would be harsh on Perez and Maddison or Tielemans but we need to keep rotating anyway where possible. 

Everton have a lot more pace and playmakers than Brighton so playing a back 3 could expose us massively 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe he'll chance starting Vardy, given we have Spurs too next weekend, but the thought fills me with trepidation.  Starting Nacho instead, or some other solution, may be OK against inferior Euro sides but I can't see it being enough to trouble Everton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, deep blue said:

I can't believe he'll chance starting Vardy, given we have Spurs too next weekend, but the thought fills me with trepidation.  Starting Nacho instead, or some other solution, may be OK against inferior Euro sides but I can't see it being enough to trouble Everton.

I'm quite sure Vardy will start.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough few matches coming up, and in all honesty a draw wouldn't be a disaster here.

 

I think he will go

 

                        Kasper

          Fofana  Morgan   Justin

Albrighton  Tielemans Ndidi Thomas

             Perez              Maddison

                        Vardy

 

I may be wrong and he may go 4 at the back, but I think Morgan coming in means he will play it pragmatic. Fuchs looks knackered, so Justin to fit in the back 3 and offer more pace.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Everton have a lot more pace and playmakers than Brighton so playing a back 3 could expose us massively 

It most definitely could and probably would but I'm just considering what Rodgers will probably do and a back 3 of Fuchs Fofana and Justin is likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It most definitely could and probably would but I'm just considering what Rodgers will probably do and a back 3 of Fuchs Fofana and Justin is likely.

I know what you mean but that's a makeshift back 3 if there ever was one, with the players we have available we should be able to field a natural back 4 instead of a makeshift back 3 that will likely be exposed 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Makes perfect sense. Calvert -Lewin is a handful and good in the air.

by the sounds of things Everton fans are expecting Calvert-Lewin to be on the bench apparently Ancelloti hinted at it after their game at the weekend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Everton won the league in September they've been a bit hit and miss..

 

If we play like the 1st half last night I don't care what the starting formation or lineup is as I'm confident that the players can adapt during the game if needed. 

 

We should have too much quality up top for them. 2-1 victory. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

by the sounds of things Everton fans are expecting Calvert-Lewin to be on the bench apparently Ancelloti hinted at it after their game at the weekend. 

Looking at their schedule, they have Arsenal coming up at the weekend, followed by a QF against Man U. It makes sense that they will need to rotate in the same way we do. 

 

It's frustrating that Jonny Evans will be out, but I guess it's inevitable he would have picked up a suspension over the festive season with the number of yellows he had, and I would sooner he were out of this one than the Man U match. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deep blue said:

I can't believe he'll chance starting Vardy, given we have Spurs too next weekend, but the thought fills me with trepidation.  Starting Nacho instead, or some other solution, may be OK against inferior Euro sides but I can't see it being enough to trouble Everton.

I was more surprised he didn't come off around 60 minutes

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the shouts to drop Ndidi back into CB over dropping Justin back into one of the CBs in a back 5 or bringing Morgan in. Justin showed what an asset he can be in his natural position last night. I also think Ndidi is the closest option we have to Evans in terms of defensive intelligence and positioning. Mendy coming into Ndidi's spot is a stronger switch than bringing Morgan in for Evans too imo. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Evans getting suspended throws a spanner in the works, otherwise I am almost certain we would play 4141 with Under, Barnes and Praet all coming into the team in place of Perez, Maddison and Albrighton. Now I imagine that Ndidi plays centre back, because Calvert-Lewin is fantastic in the air, and that means Mendy has to come into midfield. And if we are doing that, then there's an argument to go 3412.

 

But for me, I think I would go for:

 

               Kasper

Justin  Ndidi   Fofana  Thomas

              Mendy  

Under  Praet  Tielemans Barnes

                 Vardy

 

Only thing I would say is that Richarlison is their most dangerous player with James injured, so maybe he will play Praet right wing with Maddison inside and bring Under off the bench. That said JJ did a brilliant job on Adama Traore when he came off the bench for Wolves, so it might not be needed, and Under deserves to be getting games to start because he's oozing quality.

 

Regardless of what we do, I am excited for the game. Rodgers changing the formation during the game to change it up today makes me happy he won't be too stubborn if it's not working.

..do you see this as evolution or a decision taken against a team noted for changing within games?

  After Fourteen and a half years of football management why is he electing to do this now?

 Even this season he has chosen to wait till 60 minutes to address on field problems, where our formation was not right and we were vulnerable putting serious pressure on our defense.

  If Vardy is not in the team he chooses to play Nacho to lead the line yet Nacho is better behind a forward and not isolated, under pressure to hold up the ball and ultimately link up play.

 There are numerous repetitive scenarios that we see on a regular basis that should have been ironed out but is perpetuated by seemingly a reluctance to change.

 Do you think he is changing now?

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...