Jump to content

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Just to play a bit of devil’s advocate here, is there a case of short term pain for long term gain her from the club.

By refusing to give in to the demands of Tavares, do the club send a message to all of the other youngsters and agents at the club, both presently and in the future that we will not be held to ransom by agents. When we are willing to let a good prospect go, rather than meet what the club obviously see as unreasonable demands, we send a clear message to everyone else and this puts us in a better negotiating place for all future contracts. 

Not if he ends up becoming a top top world class player, we'd be a laughing stock. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Just to play a bit of devil’s advocate here, is there a case of short term pain for long term gain her from the club.

By refusing to give in to the demands of Tavares, do the club send a message to all of the other youngsters and agents at the club, both presently and in the future that we will not be held to ransom by agents. When we are willing to let a good prospect go, rather than meet what the club obviously see as unreasonable demands, we send a clear message to everyone else and this puts us in a better negotiating place for all future contracts. 

Largely agree but this assumes there isn’t a way to save face for both sides.

 

I hope the club learns from this anyway. It sounds like we could have dealt with things better, from dealing with agents, players expectations to first team action for academy players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The club are usually correct on who they keep or release, i can’t think of a young player we have let go who didn’t break into the first team but then went on to much greater things (I may be wrong) I don’t know a lot about Tavares and his agents but we run a steady ship and not sure if we give in to one lad (is he THAT good) we could be opening the door for a lot of trouble in the future.

Has anyone seen him play? Also watching the young academy players of Derby & Leeds at the weekend the gulf between first team players and them was plain to see..

Just my opinions folks... 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

The club are usually correct on who they keep or release, i can’t think of a young player we have let go who didn’t break into the first team but then went on to much greater things (I may be wrong) I don’t know a lot about Tavares and his agents but we run a steady ship and not sure if we give in to one lad (is he THAT good) we could be opening the door for a lot of trouble in the future.

Has anyone seen him play? Also watching the young academy players of Derby & Leeds at the weekend the gulf between first team players and them was plain to see..

Just my opinions folks... 

 

I watched the U18's 6 times last season with my son and he was way too good for that level. He's evidently got huge ability, he was the jewel of the academy staff through the ages and as a well known poster has informed me, there are first team staff that are very annoyed with the breakdown of the relationship between player/agent and club.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

The club are usually correct on who they keep or release, i can’t think of a young player we have let go who didn’t break into the first team but then went on to much greater things (I may be wrong) I don’t know a lot about Tavares and his agents but we run a steady ship and not sure if we give in to one lad (is he THAT good) we could be opening the door for a lot of trouble in the future.

Has anyone seen him play? Also watching the young academy players of Derby & Leeds at the weekend the gulf between first team players and them was plain to see..

Just my opinions folks... 

 

This and some Newquay been trying to say this but some on here think they know better than the club 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I watched the U18's 6 times last season with my son and he was way too good for that level. He's evidently got huge ability, he was the jewel of the academy staff through the ages and as a well known poster has informed me, there are first team staff that are very annoyed with the breakdown of the relationship between player/agent and club.

surely if 1st team coaches are interested, then they go and have a chat. explain the pathway, discuss where the opportunities exist.  

 

it's probably gone beyond an "arm around the shoulder" at this point.  But I can't see how the 1st team coaches would be unable to pull rank. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

surely if 1st team coaches are interested, then they go and have a chat. explain the pathway, discuss where the opportunities exist.  

 

it's probably gone beyond an "arm around the shoulder" at this point.  But I can't see how the 1st team coaches would be unable to pull rank. 

Yeah, its gone too far by the sounds of it. A real shame, he possibly would get some games if Praet is out for 3 months as well.  Likewise Gyfami might well have got a sniff back end of last season when we had all those defensive injury problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, its gone too far by the sounds of it. A real shame, he possibly would get some games if Praet is out for 3 months as well. 

it's almost the perfect scenario though isn't it right now? - "Sidney, listen, we always believed you had talent.  With Dennis now injured, we think we can give you an opportunity to be in and around the 1st team, but we really do need to sort out the contract situation.  How do you feel about getting some game time and showing us what you can do?"

 

if he turns it down, then it was never about the pathway to the first team. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

it's almost the perfect scenario though isn't it right now? - "Sidney, listen, we always believed you had talent.  With Dennis now injured, we think we can give you an opportunity to be in and around the 1st team, but we really do need to sort out the contract situation.  How do you feel about getting some game time and showing us what you can do?"

 

if he turns it down, then it was never about the pathway to the first team. 

Fingers crossed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Collymore said:

Not if he ends up becoming a top top world class player, we'd be a laughing stock. 

If the club thought that was possible, would they not pay the money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fox85 said:

Preat is out for 3 months give this kid his chance to stamp his mark in the 1st team

Was it Praet or Rodgers who told you this?

 

You/we don't know yet, please stop posting as if it's a fact and not just an opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

See what Collymore replied to. 

I don't think that's at play here though. Players are leaving prestigious clubs academies to play first team football and not necessarily to earn more money. Once that narrative sets in which a few have done at Man City and a few are doing here then it makes it an easier decision to make for players as they are comforted that their mate did it and it worked out for them. 

 

Personally I've no problem with these kids wanting to go and get first team football, its a huge balancing act for clubs. I will be gutted for us to lose players that go on to be a success and thats where the art of player development from the club comes in. If we continually get it right then great, if we are too slow to progress players through the ranks, get them out on loan or given first team opportunities and they leave and go on to be a success then we will need to have a good look at ourselves and try and change that.

 

My biggest concern is this starts to happen more and more at a time where the recruitment of unproven players is becoming harder and harder due to the new transfer rules and we run in to trouble because of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, its gone too far by the sounds of it. A real shame, he possibly would get some games if Praet is out for 3 months as well.  Likewise Gyfami might well have got a sniff back end of last season when we had all those defensive injury problems.

Gyfami was way down the pecking order. He barely played for the under 23s and wasn't a top player for the under 18s. He just had a good YouTube video - I don't think hes all that.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...