Jump to content

Recommended Posts

You never know with Toney though, if he didn’t get first team opportunities and be made to feel loved at Cobblers and was knocking around our academy teams for a few years he may not have followed the same trajectory that his career has.
 

Newcastle took a chance on him and he wasn’t ready then, it’s only really now at 24 that he looks like he may be ready for Premier League football (not a slight on him, just top clubs don’t really have the chance to persist with youth prospects until that age unless they have obvious potential) 

Edited by pmcla26
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LCFCbwoi said:

Not sure it means much but in the starting line up tonight against Tranmere 👀

That is encouraging. Things can't be that bad if he's playing. I don't think he'd be involved if there was no hope of him signing a new deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2021 at 21:31, Sly said:

Stearman - Moved to Wolves, was a steady player.

 

Heskey - Moved to Liverpool and was brilliant for a couple of seasons. 
 

Clucas - Released and went on to Hull, Swansea and Stoke. 

Piper - Moved to Sunderland, a major hot prospect before the unfortunate injury.

 

Gradel - The next big thing, feee transfer to Leeds, went to France, signed by Bournmouth for £9m, having a decent season so far. 
 

Moore - Doing well at Reading, was classed as one of the best in the Championship until a dip in form. 
 

Tomlin - knocked around the Championship / League 1 league for years, knocking the goals in.

 

Mattock - prodigal left back, before we had Chilwell. Never really kicked on, however he did look very, very good when he “broke onto the scene”. 
 

Kipre- We had him from PSG, now at West Brom, not played yet I don’t think. Bags of potential apparently. 
 

 

 

i dont  really think these count, with the exception of clucas and Tomlin, neither of which i would say have been a great loss. the rest all made the first team, played for us and were sold either because the club needed to or the player wanted to go because of the clubs position and the players ability or in some cases they were no longer good enough or wanted by the club.

 

Kipre is 24 and having signed for WBA from Wigan is yet to play, so again, not a player i'd say we regret letting go.

 

i dont think we have released anyone that we have yet missed or regretted. 

Edited by JJS84
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JJS84 said:

i dont  really think these count, with the exception on clucas and Tomlin. neither of which i would say have been a great loss. the rest all made the first team, played for us and were sold either because the club needed to or the player wanted to go because of the clubs position and the players ability or in some cases they were no longer good enough or wanted by the club.

 

Kipre is 24 and having signed for WBA from Wigan is yet to play, so again, not a player i'd say we regret letting go.

 

i dont think we have released anyone that we have yet missed or regretted. 

I cried for a whole 5 minutes when Max Gradel went to Dirty Leeds.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think as the club gets better and the first team squad improves there will be players that will slip through. This is purely down to the fact that better players are not getting in the first team because the standard is higher. Therefore, as a club we will be realising better standard of player hopefully and these players may have high ceilings.

 

I saw Tavares got subbed at half time last night? Was he playing that badly or do you think he might make the squad? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DezFox said:

I think as the club gets better and the first team squad improves there will be players that will slip through. This is purely down to the fact that better players are not getting in the first team because the standard is higher. Therefore, as a club we will be realising better standard of player hopefully and these players may have high ceilings.

 

I saw Tavares got subbed at half time last night? Was he playing that badly or do you think he might make the squad? 

Think he might have been injured? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I assumed his agent had been a dick, his demands rubbed the academy up the wrong way, we’d failed to deal with that, he refused to play in the u23s, and would be off. Now he plays 45 minutes against Tranmere? I am confused. He still off? Was this a shop window thing? We reached a solution for both sides?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

I assumed his agent had been a dick, his demands rubbed the academy up the wrong way, we’d failed to deal with that, he refused to play in the u23s, and would be off. Now he plays 45 minutes against Tranmere? I am confused. He still off? Was this a shop window thing? We reached a solution for both sides?

....just looking at the last 3 seasons for him, and he is predominantly playing in the U18s!!!

That must have been a calculated decision by his coaches and Academy manager and as it seems he had been picked out as a special talent and nurtured in that vein, why has it taken so long for him to be now elevated as an U23 player, very strange.

It is either a difficult agent, a poor relationship between player and club or a perceived lack of progress by the player, why we find ourselves in this position.

  I believe he will leave, only time will tell who made the right call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I assumed his agent had been a dick, his demands rubbed the academy up the wrong way, we’d failed to deal with that, he refused to play in the u23s, and would be off. Now he plays 45 minutes against Tranmere? I am confused. He still off? Was this a shop window thing? We reached a solution for both sides?

I know I'm probably clutching at more straws than Worzel Gummidge tossing himself off, but with Praet out for 3 months, and KDH staying at Luton, I think there might be a slim chance that we've been able to convince Tavares that he'll be involved and he'll sign a new deal. I know it's unlikely, but it does seem odd that he played against Tranmere.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I know I'm probably clutching at more straws than Worzel Gummidge tossing himself off, but with Praet out for 3 months, and KDH staying at Luton, I think there might be a slim chance that we've been able to convince Tavares that he'll be involved and he'll sign a new deal. I know it's unlikely, but it does seem odd that he played against Tranmere.

It gives me some hope. But I do wonder about the shop window theory, if only to dull my only hope.

 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....just looking at the last 3 seasons for him, and he is predominantly playing in the U18s!!!

That must have been a calculated decision by his coaches and Academy manager and as it seems he had been picked out as a special talent and nurtured in that vein, why has it taken so long for him to be now elevated as an U23 player, very strange.

It is either a difficult agent, a poor relationship between player and club or a perceived lack of progress by the player, why we find ourselves in this position.

  I believe he will leave, only time will tell who made the right call.

He'll be a success. But it might not be here. It depends, I think, on whether or not the club decides the agent's behaviour is too detrimental to the academy. And whether they can come to a solution. I'm not sure the club isn't blameless. We're said to be hard, difficult and stubborn negotiators in the transfer market. I wonder if the same is true with the academy players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I assumed his agent had been a dick, his demands rubbed the academy up the wrong way, we’d failed to deal with that, he refused to play in the u23s, and would be off. Now he plays 45 minutes against Tranmere? I am confused. He still off? Was this a shop window thing? We reached a solution for both sides?

He's played in most of the EFL cup games if I recall correctly, and they are U21s only, so it might be something to do with that. I watched the game and he pulled up injured early on and then struggled for the rest of the half. He didn't really look to have done much to have got injured in the first place, so I think either he didn't want to play (seems unlikely as he was putting effort in before then) or he already had an injury pre the match. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rachhere said:

He's played in most of the EFL cup games if I recall correctly, and they are U21s only, so it might be something to do with that. I watched the game and he pulled up injured early on and then struggled for the rest of the half. He didn't really look to have done much to have got injured in the first place, so I think either he didn't want to play (seems unlikely as he was putting effort in before then) or he already had an injury pre the match. 

Thanks for the info! Is it possible the “he’s refusing to play” thing isn’t accurate? It calls it into question anyway.  I swear someone vaguely ITK said it’s true. Internet rumours...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Thanks for the info! Is it possible the “he’s refusing to play” thing isn’t accurate? It calls it into question anyway.  I swear someone vaguely ITK said it’s true. Internet rumours...

Fin knows his onions with the academy and it backs up why he only seems to play the Papa John's games and not the U23 games. He wants " first team football ". He has the best chance he will ever get now that Praet is injured and KDH isn't coming back. He's competing with Choudhury and Mendy (neither suitable) to be backup to Tielemans or Maddison. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Fin knows his onions with the academy and it backs up why he only seems to play the Papa John's games and not the U23 games. He wants " first team football ". He has the best chance he will ever get now that Praet is injured and KDH isn't coming back. He's competing with Choudhury and Mendy (neither suitable) to be backup to Tielemans or Maddison. 


Rodgers rates him highly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ricardo had a word with Sidnei that it would be better to stay here, he will get opportunities now that Praet is injured from the bench.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Has he been invited to train with the first team?

Probably not, if he's refused to play it sets a terrible precedent. Completely self defeating to do so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Probably not, if he's refused to play it sets a terrible precedent. Completely self defeating to do so. 

I suppose that is the key word isn't it.

 

What IF he hasn't refused to play and all the talk is BS which is more likely.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Probably not, if he's refused to play it sets a terrible precedent. Completely self defeating to do so. 

If we're still at the headbutting stage and Rodgers doesn't watch him every day than I can't see how he'll ever get match time. Sounds like Sidnei's made up his mind. Not worth speculating anymore.

Edited by SO1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Probably not, if he's refused to play it sets a terrible precedent. Completely self defeating to do so. 

Something doesn't add up though as he gets picked for every Papa John's game and he was named in the EL squad before the Zoryha game but picked up an injury apparently so didn't travel.

 

The absence from the majority of U23 games is odd but there are other youngsters who seemingly don't feature much in those squads either. Tyrese Shade being another. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Something doesn't add up though as he gets picked for every Papa John's game and he was named in the EL squad before the Zoryha game but picked up an injury apparently so didn't travel.

 

The absence from the majority of U23 games is odd but there are other youngsters who seemingly don't feature much in those squads either. Tyrese Shade being another. 

 

 

Shade has had a really bad injury so that explains that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...