Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Sidnei Tavares

11 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

If Gray came off the bench recently surely this chap can sit on it for a bit? Maybe that might appease him, although I have to say apart from rave reviews on this forum I’ve no idea about him.

What's he done to deserve sitting on the bench? 

Celtic have been linked with a move for Leicester City starlet Sidnei Tavares, but face competition from some of Europe’s best for the 19-year-old.

Tavares, cousin of ex-Manchester United winger Nani, is out of contract in the summer and his availability has caused quite the stir. 

It’s claimed that Brendan Rodgers’ side are resigned to losing him and are yet to table a new deal.

And while Barcelona are favourites in the race for his signature, Celtic, along with Bayern Munich, Juventus and Porto are said to be in the running. 

Tavares is a highly-rated Portugal youth international but is yet to make his senior bow at club level

(DailyRecord)

36 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Celtic have been linked with a move for Leicester City starlet Sidnei Tavares, but face competition from some of Europe’s best for the 19-year-old.

Tavares, cousin of ex-Manchester United winger Nani, is out of contract in the summer and his availability has caused quite the stir. 

It’s claimed that Brendan Rodgers’ side are resigned to losing him and are yet to table a new deal.

And while Barcelona are favourites in the race for his signature, Celtic, along with Bayern Munich, Juventus and Porto are said to be in the running. 

Tavares is a highly-rated Portugal youth international but is yet to make his senior bow at club level

(DailyRecord)

This is like Dennis Gyfami all over again....

Sidnei will go missing for 4 months and then rock up at Shaktar.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AjcW said:

Still though... if he breaks through next season he'd still only just be 23.

Just all a bit short termist from young players now because they're advised badly. You'd think being at a club where the main man didn't 'make it' until he was late twenties would slow some of them down a bit!

I really feel this is such an issue in football. People want the big time now and want success now, rather than allowing it to be built. 

I think it appears naive from the outside, especially taking into account what @themightyfinhas said.

For a player to demand a loan at championship level, get no suitors, and then refuse to play in the u23s to get suitors is a tad baffling. 

He's 19, another half a season smashing the u23s to get a loan move wouldn't hurt. 

Regarding demanding a first team inclusion, his position is arguably one of the most competitive in our team. 

For me, if a player is truly good enough, they will be given chances. It's whether they take them as we've seen with the examples of Vardy and Ben Marshall.

2 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Just out of interest can anyone name a youth player that we’ve actually let go and has been a massive success else where . 

To be fair mate it's only in the last couple of years we've started producing anything remotely decent lol so i think we will have to wait a while for that data

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Toney is easily going to be a £20m+ player

So is pretty much anyone that a prem club tries to sign from the championship so don't think it's a great yardstick.

He's a good player don't get me wrong! But we released him... then Newcastle didn't fancy him. 

I get the feeling Champ is his level, he was bullied out of the game by Spurs last night.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

So is pretty much anyone that a prem club tries to sign from the championship so don't think it's a great yardstick.

He's a good player don't get me wrong! But we released him... then Newcastle didn't fancy him. 

I get the feeling Champ is his level, he was bullied out of the game by Spurs last night.

I mean I can see why Newcastle probably didn't want to throw him straight into first team football as reading through the below article (if you have the Athletic) Newcastle have been regularly in relegation battles and the managers have always had to go the route of experienced strikers to try and stay up rather than risk blooding a youngster, which is why he spent a lot of time out on loan

https://theathletic.co.uk/2267956/2020/12/21/newcastle-united-ivan-toney-brentford/

Toney himself wanted to leave permanently rather than going out loan again to "restart" his career, and Newcastle felt they got a good deal at the time because the deal to Peterborough included 30% of future profit

40 goals in 76 games in League One 

Currently on 16 goals in 20 games in Championship

No reason to think he couldn't be a comfortable 10+ goals a season striker in the Prem

14 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I mean I can see why Newcastle probably didn't want to throw him straight into first team football as reading through the below article (if you have the Athletic) Newcastle have been regularly in relegation battles and the managers have always had to go the route of experienced strikers to try and stay up rather than risk blooding a youngster, which is why he spent a lot of time out on loan

https://theathletic.co.uk/2267956/2020/12/21/newcastle-united-ivan-toney-brentford/

Toney himself wanted to leave permanently rather than going out loan again to "restart" his career, and Newcastle felt they got a good deal at the time because the deal to Peterborough included 30% of future profit

40 goals in 76 games in League One 

Currently on 16 goals in 20 games in Championship

No reason to think he couldn't be a comfortable 10+ goals a season striker in the Prem

Absolutely, not doubting he might go on to do well. But the question was 'can you name someone who has gone on to be a massive success' so it might be a while before we can say that about Ivan?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Calvin Bassey, Dennis Gyfami and now Tavares all seemingly wanted to leave for a better shot at first team football.

Now our fans can argue that they won't be any great miss, and that's possibly going to be correct as we seldom seem to lose academy players that go on to become stars elsewhere but I'm not ignorant or naive enough to think this isn't an issue to completely dismiss. If there's a general consensus that these young unproven players want out then we could in future lose talented players, just like Man City have done and other clubs who fail to get that balance right of bringing the players though quick enough.

We have absolutely been guilty of being slow to get U18 players in to the U23's and then out on loan or first team football with us if they are good enough. Tell me what the benefit of Dewsbury-Hall being stuck in our U23's until he's 21 and a half before experiencing mens senior first team football? Thankfully this doesn't seem to have prevented him then being good enough to be fast tracked through the levels but as he is only a year younger than Harvey Barnes he is 3 years behind him in his progression and it's cases like that that irk some of us. 

Tavares may well be being advised badly, he may also be a bit too unreasonable making these demands but there's been enough smoke without the fire in our academy and thankfully we seem to have acknowledged that and are trying to make some changes. Hopefully these young players can appreciate that and understand they are at a fantastic club for their development but I don't criticise them too much for their ambition and impatience when there's been enough examples of being held back.

I have a feel this will change over the next couple of years, BR success last season and this is give him great power to shape the club from top to bottom moving forward.

Everyone wants to loan from successful clubs, because they generally hoover up all the best talent. The more successful we are as a club, the more we are seen to be developing top talent, Chilwell, Barnes, Thomas the more lower league clubs will be wanting LCFC kids. 

Easier to focus on getting the Academy right when your not having to fire fighting getting the first time in order. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Calvin Bassey, Dennis Gyfami and now Tavares all seemingly wanted to leave for a better shot at first team football.

Now our fans can argue that they won't be any great miss, and that's possibly going to be correct as we seldom seem to lose academy players that go on to become stars elsewhere but I'm not ignorant or naive enough to think this isn't an issue to completely dismiss. If there's a general consensus that these young unproven players want out then we could in future lose talented players, just like Man City have done and other clubs who fail to get that balance right of bringing the players though quick enough.

We have absolutely been guilty of being slow to get U18 players in to the U23's and then out on loan or first team football with us if they are good enough. Tell me what the benefit of Dewsbury-Hall being stuck in our U23's until he's 21 and a half before experiencing mens senior first team football? Thankfully this doesn't seem to have prevented him then being good enough to be fast tracked through the levels but as he is only a year younger than Harvey Barnes he is 3 years behind him in his progression and it's cases like that that irk some of us. 

Tavares may well be being advised badly, he may also be a bit too unreasonable making these demands but there's been enough smoke without the fire in our academy and thankfully we seem to have acknowledged that and are trying to make some changes. Hopefully these young players can appreciate that and understand they are at a fantastic club for their development but I don't criticise them too much for their ambition and impatience when there's been enough examples of being held back.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I have a feel this will change over the next couple of years, BR success last season and this is give him great power to shape the club from top to bottom moving forward.

Everyone wants to loan from successful clubs, because they generally hoover up all the best talent. The more successful we are as a club, the more we are seen to be developing top talent, Chilwell, Barnes, Thomas the more lower league clubs will be wanting LCFC kids. 

Easier to focus on getting the Academy right when your not having to fire fighting getting the first time in order. 

I'd agree that with these 3 all well rated leaving in hunt of first team action should be an alarm to those in charge regarding how we manage our talented players, now we're at a level to keep and develop them. As if we aren't careful, we will lose a player who goes on to sell for £40/£50million. 

• Like 1

Our problem (a good problem) is that we are currently playing elite football at the top end of the best league (my opinion) in the world, always going to be difficult to integrate a couple of academy players into the first team & squad, we’ve done it with Barnes, ‘Justin & Fofana’ (not our academy) and currently with Thomas so not sure how many we can accommodate given our current league position... 

Up the City.... :scarf:

How good is he anyway?  Surely if he was anywhere near ready for a shot at the first team he would have had it by now.  If he does not want to knuckle down and fight his way to the first team then is he really the sort of player we want at the club?

I remember when Hamzas agent spouted to the press about Barca and Real Madrid being in for him.  This is the same as Gray - All hype and no substance.

Badly advised or not I am still waiting for these youngsters who have left us to come back and bite us on the arse.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, happy85 said:

(DailyRecord)

Without assuming that these links are true, I do wonder why some young players are choosing to leave us. There was also the lad who went to Rangers in the summer where it was reported that we were shocked he turned down our offer of a deal. 

if you look at clubs around the Prem, we have to be really attractive for a young player. That is not even biased. Growing club, a manager known for his coaching skills, very much willing to give opportunity to youth products and a brand spanking new training ground. We also happen to be playing at a good level and potentially offering European football more regularly then in the past.

With the investment, I feel in the next 5/10 years our youth system will be a major part of our first 11. Which will be great. Talented as well as sell on. 

I wouldn't attribute more players leaving to necessarily being an issue with the club.

Droves of youngsters from Arsenal and Man City academys (Arsenal always considered the best and Man City's has incredible facilities) have upped and left in the last couple of seasons, to clubs in Germany and Portugal.

It's becoming much more common, part of the reasoning is that even at the youngest of ages these talents are being signed up by the biggest agents, who want to make their first pay day as soon as a player hits 18. The other side of the coin is youngsters seeing the like of Jaden Sancho and Marcus Edwards to some extent, thriving after taking the 'big decision' to go abroad or leave a so called incredible set up.

I'd actually see it as a positive, that we are creating players that are attracting interest from Mega Clubs. Yes, some will slip through the net, but for those mentioned like Bassey and Gyamfi... if they start playing well and we realise we've missed a trick, we'll more than likely sign them back, and even with a cost attached, if they're any good they'll be worth it.

• Like 1