10 hours ago, s11nny said:

I was waiting for you to say this. I was talking about our own academy players. You have just proved my point. Other teams in England and especially teams in Europe give their teenagers a chance. They take the chance on young talented players. Which is the very reason we ended up signing Fofana and why many teams sign teenage talent from abroad. Exactly the reason why Tavares doesn’t believe in Leicesters way of developing their youth players. He very much believes that if your good enough then you should be given the chance. Leicester don’t do this and this is evident of the players that have come through our youth system all bar luke thomas who was welcomed into the fold through a shortage at LB at the time.

Not to say that our way of developing youth doesn’t work. It clearly has. Doesn’t change the fact the we will still potentially miss out on players like Tavares.

Would Fofana have been given a chance at St Etienne if they had Evans, Maguire and Soyuncu in their squad?

One of the downsides of having a strong squad is that it is very difficult to give opportunities to teenage academy players. Save for an injury crisis, you're going to have to drop a very good player to do so.

I think we've done incredibly well developing our own players recently. Considering where we are in the league, the standard they have to be to get into the team is extremely high, and yet we have 3 in the squad, one who looks set to join them soon, and one just sold for £50m. This is way beyond what we could have dreamt about not so long ago.

Sure, we could cave to Tavares's demands, but at what cost? Someone has to be dropped, and do we really want to be seen as a club being pushed around by a teenager? He could go on to become a very good player, no doubt, but you can't keep every player that plays for your youth teams. Some will always slip through the net.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

KDH has really flourished this last 12-18 months. He has the technique and also the determination and mental toughness, I am really excited about his future and I hope its with us. Is he good enough for the PL? Absolutely no idea, he never really stood out when I saw him in the U23's aged 19 and that could be the argument why he didn't get a loan move to the lower leagues earlier, young players develop differently and for that I'll put to one side my grievances about our lack of proactiveness with getting these young players moving along the ranks quicker because it seems like he is destined to be at the very worst a quality Championship player worth several million.

I think KDH fits our ethos and track record of the types of players we bring through, I really think he will get a chance in place of Choudhury next season.

Tavares, the game comes almost too easy for him. From what I gather the academy have been besotted with him from a young age and its probably one of the reasons he's so frustrated he hasn't had the hype transport him in to the first team yet.

There does seem a bit of a discord between the younger age groups and then the U23's, this also happened with Layton Nduwku who sadly hasn't realised his potential. In the U16 and U18 ages groups he was absolutely ridiculous but he didn't get the right development plan to get him in to the U23's when he was 17/18 and out on loan, took years to happen and now he seems like he's fallen too far behind and lost his way.

Cheers Ric, do you think that there’s maybe a directive from above to try, and probably too hard at the expense of player progression, to try and elevate the academy within the Premier 2 Lge and therefore trying to keep the better players there longer than maybe they should?

Hopefully BR will get more control and the new facilities can aid the set up as a whole  but your right we need to letting some of the cream if you like getting 1st hand experience sooner, I mean the likes of Man C and Chelsea for sure must have 50 to 100 academy players out on loan, I know they stockpile but still.

Edited by BKLFox
Just now, Pliskin said:

Play him today. Stick him out there and we may be able to loan him out for the season if he puts in a good showing.... we can’t let him go for peanuts we will be kicking ourselves. 

He's the closest thing we have to Tielemans as back up. It infuriates me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Cheers Ric, do you think that there’s maybe a directive from above to try, and probably too hard at the expense of player progression, to try and elevate the academy within the Premier 2 Lge and therefore trying to keep the better players there longer than maybe they should?

Hopefully BR will get more control and the new facilities can aid the set up as a whole  but your right we need to letting some of the cream if you like getting 1st hand experience sooner, I mean the likes of Man C and Chelsea for sure must have 50 to 100 academy players out on loan, I know they stockpile but still.

Thats absolutely what was happening, we were too intent on trying to do well in a fairly meaningless PL2 and weren't thinking about the main purpose of developing first team players or ayers to sell for a profit. I think it is changing now, even though the plans to shake up the coaching and management side of things seemed to not happen after it was indicated it would. Think a well known poster on here who knows stuff in the academy alluded to this last summer. 

What I'm most interested about is we now have these world class facilities and we have been the best team in the midlands for the last 6 years, we have also been Category A in the academy for even longer so I'm hoping the last decade has seen us really drive home our position as the best club in the midlands to recruit the best 8-15 year old players in the area and we'll see more and more quality be coming through.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Play him today. Stick him out there and we may be able to loan him out for the season if he puts in a good showing.... we can’t let him go for peanuts we will be kicking ourselves. 

I am disappointed we aren't taking players like this to the game today. He's been playing well for the development team then give him a chance in a Cup game.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

KDH has really flourished this last 12-18 months. He has the technique and also the determination and mental toughness, I am really excited about his future and I hope its with us. Is he good enough for the PL? Absolutely no idea, he never really stood out when I saw him in the U23's aged 19 and that could be the argument why he didn't get a loan move to the lower leagues earlier, young players develop differently and for that I'll put to one side my grievances about our lack of proactiveness with getting these young players moving along the ranks quicker because it seems like he is destined to be at the very worst a quality Championship player worth several million.

I think KDH fits our ethos and track record of the types of players we bring through, I really think he will get a chance in place of Choudhury next season.

Tavares, the game comes almost too easy for him. From what I gather the academy have been besotted with him from a young age and its probably one of the reasons he's so frustrated he hasn't had the hype transport him in to the first team yet.

There does seem a bit of a discord between the younger age groups and then the U23's, this also happened with Layton Nduwku who sadly hasn't realised his potential. In the U16 and U18 ages groups he was absolutely ridiculous but he didn't get the right development plan to get him in to the U23's when he was 17/18 and out on loan, took years to happen and now he seems like he's fallen too far behind and lost his way.

First paragraph totally agree. I couldn't see much in his U23 career to suggest a career at this level at all. He needed loaning out sooner and I blame the academy set up for that because quite a few of our prospective players have been left languishing in the academy for far too long when they should've been moved on or loaned out. Hopefully that will change now with the new training ground but I dont see much change to the academy personnel so I wont hold my breath.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Funny you should ask as he's the closest player in our ranks that resembles the playing style of Tielemans. Everyone keeps moaning about Youri needing a rest and nobody can play his role so let's give Sidnei a go today 🤪🤪

Sidnei can also play as a DM or further forward :schmike:

Why Bren couldn't put one u23 on the bench today and give them 5 minutes, I have no idea. Same with Braga away. Four nil up and not even a handful of minutes for a u23. He's a great coach and can develop youngsters, but aside from Thomas the academy players haven't had a sniff.

23 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Why Bren couldn't put one u23 on the bench today and give them 5 minutes, I have no idea. Same with Braga away. Four nil up and not even a handful of minutes for a u23. He's a great coach and can develop youngsters, but aside from Thomas the academy players haven't had a sniff.

It could have something to do with Covid bubbles. Probably best to keep the senior squad separate from the youth teams as much as possible for now.

With some U23/U18 players you just know. Watching that comp he finds things so easy. We have to do everything we can to get him to sign a new contract or we're going to regret it. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

It could have something to do with Covid bubbles. Probably best to keep the senior squad separate from the youth teams as much as possible for now.

Yeah I was thinking that. Yet they travelled with the first team during the Europa matches. And even got into the match day squad, which was great, but saw no minutes. I don't know why they don't even see a couple of minutes. It is good they're training with the first team. And Bren's worked wonders for certain players, particularly Cags and Wilf. But apart from some praise for Tav and minutes for the England u18 captain, the academy hasn't seen much. At least we're getting plenty of loans, although none for Tav.

Edited by Foxxed
6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Look at him at that level, pure sauce.

.. just having viewed that reel, it is clear  he does not have a vision in his head, in respect how he wants to progress the play!!!

Looks like he has skills, seems very  much one paced I am not too sure if that is down to his composure or an inability to progress the play with any kind of urgency.

Lightweight, in respect of contact and if you cannot envisage how to progress the play in the position that he plays then it will be difficult to see how he can progress his game. I would rather see him attempt to pick out a player on the move and be intercepted than see him run into situations with no end product.

He needs to take a look at Reading and Brentford with similar players who have an understanding of what is required and how to influence the game.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. just having viewed that reel, it is clear  he does not have a vision in his head, in respect how he wants to progress the play!!!

Looks like he has skills, seems very  much one paced I am not too sure if that is down to his composure or an inability to progress the play with any kind of urgency.

Lightweight, in respect of contact and if you cannot envisage how to progress the play in the position that he plays then it will be difficult to see how he can progress his game. I would rather see him attempt to pick out a player on the move and be intercepted than see him run into situations with no end product.

He needs to take a look at Reading and Brentford with similar players who have an understanding of what is required and how to influence the game.

I am not quite sure what you mean, but there are plenty of instances in that video where he progresses the ball forward with a run or pass? Seems very clear in that he wants to get us up the pitch himself or put his teammate in a position to do so?

From a lot of these clips it also looks like he is playing in a defensive midfielder position, not the Maddison or Tielemans role.

1st clip - picks the ball up outside our own box, carries it to the half way line whilst shrugging off the opponent and plays a good ball into a team mate in the centre

2nd clip - picks the ball up in our half, carries it forward and plays a nice pass out wide

3rd clip - defensive interception just outside our box, and then plays a really nice 20 yard pass to a team mate

4th clip - good free kick goal

5th clip - gets the ball from the opposition player in the middle of the pitch and runs it forward

6th clip - gets the ball probably 40-50 yards out, goes past 1 player, draws another 1 in and lays it off to a team mate in space

7th clip - defensive interception that goes to a teammate

8th clip - first time ball over the top to teammate who now has a lot of space to work the ball in the box

9th clip - covers the ball on the edge and wins a free kick in a dangerous position

10th clip - furthest player forward, simple tap across the box for an assist

11th clip - picks up a loose ball and a simple little chipped pass to find the full back in a lot of space who can now carry the ball forward

12th clip - picks the ball up about 40 yards out, goes past 1 player, then another, and then they have to bring him down and he earns a free kick in a good position

13th clip - defensive interception

14th clip - penalty scored

15th clip - no one in front of him showing for a pass, so he takes it back and passes to Soyuncu to transition the play to the other side of the pitch

16th clip - has the ball close to the touch line, holds off the opposition player and lays it back to a teammate in space

17th clip - snapshot from the edge of the box

18th clip - run into the box and gets fouled by the keeper earning a penalty

19th clip - loose ball comes to him just outside our own box and he plays a first time perfect 20-30 yard pass to a teammate on the half way line

20th clip - has the ball inside our own half and is being pressured by an opponent, managed to turn away from him and find space to play a chipped ball down the line to a teammate

21st clip - picks the ball up in a defensive position and plays the ball to the centre back in space

22nd clip - picks the ball up in our half, first touch takes him past a player, then gets past another player and lays it off for a teammate to run into space

23rd clip - defensive block out for a throw

24th clip - penalty scored

24 clips, and I would say the majority of them are him finding a way to progress us up the pitch by himself.

He is very clearly willing to run the ball up the pitch himself to get us forward and has a good burst of pace to take himself past a player, and also has a very good range of passing to find teammates in space to allow the play to move forward or transition

Think you may have watched the wrong video.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

You had a bump to the fcukin head? GET OUT, GO ON

• Haha 4
23 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I am not quite sure what you mean, but there are plenty of instances in that video where he progresses the ball forward with a run or pass? Seems very clear in that he wants to get us up the pitch himself or put his teammate in a position to do so?

From a lot of these clips it also looks like he is playing in a defensive midfielder position, not the Maddison or Tielemans role.

1st clip - picks the ball up outside our own box, carries it to the half way line whilst shrugging off the opponent and plays a good ball into a team mate in the centre

2nd clip - picks the ball up in our half, carries it forward and plays a nice pass out wide

3rd clip - defensive interception just outside our box, and then plays a really nice 20 yard pass to a team mate

4th clip - good free kick goal

5th clip - gets the ball from the opposition player in the middle of the pitch and runs it forward

6th clip - gets the ball probably 40-50 yards out, goes past 1 player, draws another 1 in and lays it off to a team mate in space

7th clip - defensive interception that goes to a teammate

8th clip - first time ball over the top to teammate who now has a lot of space to work the ball in the box

9th clip - covers the ball on the edge and wins a free kick in a dangerous position

10th clip - furthest player forward, simple tap across the box for an assist

11th clip - picks up a loose ball and a simple little chipped pass to find the full back in a lot of space who can now carry the ball forward

12th clip - picks the ball up about 40 yards out, goes past 1 player, then another, and then they have to bring him down and he earns a free kick in a good position

13th clip - defensive interception

14th clip - penalty scored

15th clip - no one in front of him showing for a pass, so he takes it back and passes to Soyuncu to transition the play to the other side of the pitch

16th clip - has the ball close to the touch line, holds off the opposition player and lays it back to a teammate in space

17th clip - snapshot from the edge of the box

18th clip - run into the box and gets fouled by the keeper earning a penalty

19th clip - loose ball comes to him just outside our own box and he plays a first time perfect 20-30 yard pass to a teammate on the half way line

20th clip - has the ball inside our own half and is being pressured by an opponent, managed to turn away from him and find space to play a chipped ball down the line to a teammate

21st clip - picks the ball up in a defensive position and plays the ball to the centre back in space

22nd clip - picks the ball up in our half, first touch takes him past a player, then gets past another player and lays it off for a teammate to run into space

23rd clip - defensive block out for a throw

24th clip - penalty scored

24 clips, and I would say the majority of them are him finding a way to progress us up the pitch by himself.

He is very clearly willing to run the ball up the pitch himself to get us forward and has a good burst of pace to take himself past a player, and also has a very good range of passing to find teammates in space to allow the play to move forward or transition

Think you may have watched the wrong video.

Beautiful words son!

If Praets injury is bad and keeps him out for a bit get this kid in the first team bubble and at least travelling with the match day squad/possibly on the bench, show him that we are willing to integrate him

Even more reason to get him involved if we end up selling Hamza as well

• Like 1