I'm normally the first to defend the academy but something doesn't add up (at least with the info we have).

Tav's demands (I think): train with the first team then get a loan or play with the first team.

We have academy players train with the first team. We're getting loans. Some academy players have got into the first team squad (and not played).

It seems odd no one came from a loan over the summer - was there really nothing before that to make clubs interested?

His requests don't seem impossible to accommodate. We could have simply said we must wait for another transfer window, get him into first team training with the other academy players and get him alongside Leshabela in the occasional matchday squad.

Obvously Tav's representatives seem to have escalated this by refusing to play in the u23s (and they may well have rubbed up the academy in other ways), but surely it's part of the academy's job to deescalate this.

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

I am not quite sure what you mean, but there are plenty of instances in that video where he progresses the ball forward with a run or pass? Seems very clear in that he wants to get us up the pitch himself or put his teammate in a position to do so?

From a lot of these clips it also looks like he is playing in a defensive midfielder position, not the Maddison or Tielemans role.

1st clip - picks the ball up outside our own box, carries it to the half way line whilst shrugging off the opponent and plays a good ball into a team mate in the centre

2nd clip - picks the ball up in our half, carries it forward and plays a nice pass out wide

3rd clip - defensive interception just outside our box, and then plays a really nice 20 yard pass to a team mate

4th clip - good free kick goal

5th clip - gets the ball from the opposition player in the middle of the pitch and runs it forward

6th clip - gets the ball probably 40-50 yards out, goes past 1 player, draws another 1 in and lays it off to a team mate in space

7th clip - defensive interception that goes to a teammate

8th clip - first time ball over the top to teammate who now has a lot of space to work the ball in the box

9th clip - covers the ball on the edge and wins a free kick in a dangerous position

10th clip - furthest player forward, simple tap across the box for an assist

11th clip - picks up a loose ball and a simple little chipped pass to find the full back in a lot of space who can now carry the ball forward

12th clip - picks the ball up about 40 yards out, goes past 1 player, then another, and then they have to bring him down and he earns a free kick in a good position

13th clip - defensive interception

14th clip - penalty scored

15th clip - no one in front of him showing for a pass, so he takes it back and passes to Soyuncu to transition the play to the other side of the pitch

16th clip - has the ball close to the touch line, holds off the opposition player and lays it back to a teammate in space

17th clip - snapshot from the edge of the box

18th clip - run into the box and gets fouled by the keeper earning a penalty

19th clip - loose ball comes to him just outside our own box and he plays a first time perfect 20-30 yard pass to a teammate on the half way line

20th clip - has the ball inside our own half and is being pressured by an opponent, managed to turn away from him and find space to play a chipped ball down the line to a teammate

21st clip - picks the ball up in a defensive position and plays the ball to the centre back in space

22nd clip - picks the ball up in our half, first touch takes him past a player, then gets past another player and lays it off for a teammate to run into space

23rd clip - defensive block out for a throw

24th clip - penalty scored

24 clips, and I would say the majority of them are him finding a way to progress us up the pitch by himself.

He is very clearly willing to run the ball up the pitch himself to get us forward and has a good burst of pace to take himself past a player, and also has a very good range of passing to find teammates in space to allow the play to move forward or transition

Think you may have watched the wrong video.

Bless. You said everything  to the haters  of Tavares, you must watch  the first than talk after 

11 hours ago, Collymore said:

Just seen this pop up in the last few days..

Every time I come on this thread. :frusty: :@ Sort it Brendan.

2 hours ago, Simon alex said:

Bless. You said everything  to the haters  of Tavares, you must watch  the first than talk after 

Welcome to the forum. Haters? There's one poster who was slightly critical. Hardly a 'hater'.

With all the uncertainty surrounding transfers this season, we really should look at promoting a few of these lads to the first team. Taveres and Pennant could inject a lift into the squad...... there no harm in sticking them on the bench against some of the PL lesser opportunity. Both these two lads are very decent players. 

Players like Daka don’t become sensations playing in academies, if the lads have something about them stick them in, experience will guide them and help mould them. A risk worth taking in my opinion, and no cost attached either. 

This January I’m not too fussed about seeing new players signed I’d like to see a couple of the younger lads promoted to the first team and given a chance. (Covid permitted) has not done Thomas any harm at all. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Pliskin said:

With all the uncertainty surrounding transfers this season, we really should look at promoting a few of these lads to the first team. Taveres and Pennant could inject a lift into the squad...... there no harm in sticking them on the bench against some of the PL lesser opportunity. Both these two lads are very decent players. 

Players like Daka don’t become sensations playing in academies, if the lads have something about them stick them in, experience will guide them and help mould them. A risk worth taking in my opinion, and no cost attached either. 

This January I’m not too fussed about seeing new players signed I’d like to see a couple of the younger lads promoted to the first team and given a chance. (Covid permitted) has not done Thomas any harm at all. 

Sounds good in theory  ... unless you're the real manager who's objective it is to win matches or effectively get people calling for your head and livelihood. Brendan will put on the bench those players that he reasonably expects that if called upon, can have a positive effect on a game against premier opposition. The bench is not a place for mere experiment, sentiment or politeness, every player on there needs to be on there for a purpose. If this lad, or others like him, were felt good enough to take the giant leap from u23 to Premiership standard they'd surely be sat on the bench or in the team. I think I trust the professionals that see them every day in training to judge their footballing skills and personal attitudes to cope with such a huge leap. Who knows what really goes on with these young lads better than the club. It's a business to the club not entertainment.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Collymore said:

Just seen this pop up in the last few days..

:jawdrop:

I know Ric has a tendency to get over excited on players but he really does look the biz in those clips.

Hope both parties can sort something out that sees him stay here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately if it true, once any player refuses to play, there isn't really a way back for them at a club.

Generally refusing to do as your employer ask, isn't a good idea.

Interesting how people view this, if Maddison was refusing to play because he felt he deserved a pay rise or a move to Man U. People would have the pitchforks out and be ready to burn him at the stake.

21 minutes ago, Strokes said:

:jawdrop:

I know Ric has a tendency to get over excited on players but he really does look the biz in those clips.

Hope both parties can sort something out that sees him stay here.

It's looked for ages like he'd be gone at the end of his contract, which is sort of a self fulfilling problem really because I imagine the club knowing that is why he hasn't had the opportunities others have.

There's no way he stays here. 

• Like 1

With Praet now likely out for 2 months + we should show a huge dose of good will and give him a chance. Worst case scenario is he still doesn't sign a new deal but I guarantee he will sign a pre-comtract abroad this month if we don't do something.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Unfortunately if it true, once any player refuses to play, there isn't really a way back for them at a club.

Generally refusing to do as your employer ask, isn't a good idea.

Interesting how people view this, if Maddison was refusing to play because he felt he deserved a pay rise or a move to Man U. People would have the pitchforks out and be ready to burn him at the stake.

The club are paying the price for making him play the whole of 2019/20 season until its suspension in the U18's aged 18, why on earth wasn't he in the U23's last season and given a clearer pathway to the first team? Rodgers had him in the first team training squads within a month of joining back in March 2018 and only last summer raved about his ability. The club have had an absolute howler.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

With Praet now likely out for 2 months + we should show a huge dose of good will and give him a chance. Worst case scenario is he still doesn't sign a new deal but I guarantee he will sign a pre-comtract abroad this month if we don't do something.

If it was likely it would have happened. 

He's probably made it abundantly clear that he wants to move on.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The club are paying the price for making him play the whole of 2019/20 season until its suspension in the U18's aged 18, why on earth wasn't he in the U23's last season and given a clearer pathway to the first team? Rodgers had him in the first team training squads within a month of joining back in March 2018 and only last summer raved about his ability. The club have had an absolute howler.

Surely if he has been in first team training then he is deemed "not ready" to make the jump to a matchday squad.  Attitude is a key component to making it to the very top.  This lad looks as though he has bags of ability but there must be another issue that's inhabiting his progress.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Not a Beaglehole type player

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

Surely if he has been in first team training then he is deemed "not ready" to make the jump to a matchday squad.  Attitude is a key component to making it to the very top.  This lad looks as though he has bags of ability but there must be another issue that's inhabiting his progress.

Possibly, but Luke Thomas is the only youngster to come through under Rodgers so far. Its not easy to get a sniff and I do think there's been a breakdown in relationship between club and player/agent. 

11 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Yeah sadly its a pipedream that it'll happen. He's off.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I'd do the same if I'd been at the club 10 years, excelled at all age groups and then frozen out. The club even brought in a random Thai player to take his place despite being 2 years older - another one taking up space in the u23's that could have gone to a genuine prospect.

Seems it's upto him to save his career now.

7 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

I'd do the same if I'd been at the club 10 years, excelled at all age groups and then frozen out. The club even brought in a random Thai player to take his place despite being 2 years older - another one taking up space in the u23's that could have gone to a genuine prospect.

Seems it's upto him to save his career now.

This is it, this is a lad who has been with the club since he was 9 and has been highly regarded through the age groups. Something has gone wrong with the club and player as the talent is there in abundance and certain staff at the club will be livid it has got to this.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

And you know he is premier league standard how exactly? You want him in the team but the club don’t certainly at the moment and I would sooner back their judgment than the likes of yours. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes? He may well be talented he may also be disruptive a poor trainer , won’t listen and think he’s bigger than his team mates and the club. Maybe as you know so much about him you can throw some light on his day to day attitude. There has been plenty of players who are incredibly talented but ultimately can’t grasp the concept of teamwork thinking they are bigger than the team they play for Balotelli for one. Let the club deal with it as they know the player a lot better than you do