Jump to content
StanSP

Stoke 0-4 LCFC - Post-Match Thread

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Mehrez said:

Were we even on match of the day? 

Only just and after maybe the performance of the round. Sure if Lineker had been back and on we'd have featured more but as long as we're respected a lower profile has advantages.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get why people think Lineker has some say, or any final say, on the running order of MOTD. It's probably totally out of his remit unless it's when we're winning the league again...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bob Farley said:

Tielemans ran the show. You could see how much more class we had than them today, great performance. 
 

if you had to pick which would you rather win, FA Cup or Europa League? 

Europa league, fa cup can wait as it's champions league all the way from now on hopefully.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Europa league, fa cup can wait as it's champions league all the way from now on hopefully.

We now have a squad to compete in both. Greedy, probably, but why not? 

 

Always a subtle reminder at this time of the year. Both teams were introduced yesterday as never winning it before. Nearly always mentioned during the draw. Hurts. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

F.A. CUP No question !

You could argue that a CL campaign next season with pot one seeding would be best and stand us in better stead to win the fa cup at some point in the next few years ....... more chance of keeping the squad together with CL football rather than Europa league .... 

 

I realise that winning the cup this season would mean we had won it but I think that a CL campaign gives us a great base for the next three to five seasons 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

You could argue that a CL campaign next season with pot one seeding would be best and stand us in better stead to win the fa cup at some point in the next few years ....... more chance of keeping the squad together with CL football rather than Europa league .... 

 

I realise that winning the cup this season would mean we had won it but I think that a CL campaign gives us a great base for the next three to five seasons 

You suggest by what you've said that winning the EL would give us Pot 1 seeding in CL - is that the case? If so, I wasn't aware of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You suggest by what you've said that winning the EL would give us Pot 1 seeding in CL - is that the case? If so, I wasn't aware of it.

Having just looked it up, Sevilla qualified as a top seed for the CL this season by winning the EL last season.

 

If it is the same for next season then we have two ways of achieving a top seeding for the CL. Win the EL or win the PL. Come on City! :scarf:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Having just looked it up, Sevilla qualified as a top seed for the CL this season by winning the EL last season.

 

If it is the same for next season then we have two ways of achieving a top seeding for the CL. Win the EL or win the PL. Come on City! :scarf:

That's very interesting. I assume the correlation is the reason, and there are no other factors involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

That's very interesting. I assume the correlation is the reason, and there are no other factors involved.

The Champions League and Europa League holders, together with the champions of the 6 top-ranked associations are designated #1 seeds for the CL draw. When a CL or EL holder is also a top 6 association champion, the next top ranked association champion is seeded. This is how Portugese/Russian teams can get in as #1 seeds

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

The Champions League and Europa League holders, together with the champions of the 6 top-ranked associations are designated #1 seeds for the CL draw. When a CL or EL holder is also a top 6 association champion, the next top ranked association champion is seeded. This is how Portugese/Russian teams can get in as #1 seeds

Great, thank you very much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good performance from us. Enjoyed it. It’s interesting how most of the top clubs played strongish teams this early in the competition. Especially in case of Liverpool and Spurs where they probably could’ve rested a few more. Hopefully we get good home ties for the next two rounds. Great to be in two cup competitions and doing well in the league.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Really good performance from us. Enjoyed it. It’s interesting how most of the top clubs played strongish teams this early in the competition. Especially in case of Liverpool and Spurs where they probably could’ve rested a few more. Hopefully we get good home ties for the next two rounds. Great to be in two cup competitions and doing well in the league.

Not too fussed if we're drawn away to be honest. There doesn't seem to be much home advantage with empty stadiums and our away form has been much better than our form at home.

 

Will take a couple of 'lesser' teams in the draw though.

 

Edited by Blue Fox 72
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2021 at 22:18, Raw Dykes said:

No. I've only ever played AC2. Is there one set in the East Midlands, then? Did they get the accent right? (I'm guessing no)

Valhalla. You land and start after leaving Norway in Leicestershire. There are some great accents although I’m not sure anyone could claim to know what the accents were like back then, but apparently even then Snotingham had the more successful football team 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more a believer in preserving momentum and rhythm in a team rather than change to protect and rest players although both philisophies have their fans. Sometimes one approach can pay and sometimes the other but as I say I tend to favour minimum change where possible and feel this is more likely to pay than what i regard as the more negative approach. I'm not quite sure what rhythm and momentum in a team are but like most fans know it when I see it.

 

Certainly post Stoke where change was minimal it was a pleasure  listening to the interviews with James Justin, Harvey Barnes, and BR. BR I think is growing in belief in the team and it was nice to see him smiling more and slightly more relaxed. He has a good smile and should do it more often. I think most or all of the team would have felt similar and would have given similar interviews. Its wonderful when it all works out. Having JJ and Castagne practically fully interchangeable is a great asset and it was good to hear BR explaining he uses this to suit particular opposition teams. The most importatnt thing about the days when everything goes well is no complacency, set your sights even higher,( and keep practicing the attacking headers. Maybe the next target should be a goal from a vertex (dare n't use the usual word)). Perhaps we should "leak" we don't practice corners, We study vertex techniques under Professor Shearer. That should keep'em guessing until we're nodding in one every third match as we work our way up to one a match:-))

 

Although the opposition was quite a bit easier than the toughest teams in the PL it must be a relief to BR and the rest of us to see we could achieve this level even without two very important players , one of whom has been for several years and still is ,possibly the most important player in the team. I would rate all who played as important players, not least Kasper who was able to have an easier day than usual after the first 15 minutes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2021 at 16:51, JamesfromlondonLCFC said:

James Justin is our player of the season so far tbh

The lad improves every game he plays, the way he was slated by some in his first few games before he settled down into the first team and clicked into finding his feet and getting down to his quality performances.

The lad is going to be a quality player for us and can see the Vultures circling around trying to prise him from the Foxes, he was bought in as one for the future but the lad has well over exceeded his expectations due to the fact of injuries he’s managed to play more games than was intended which has done the lad huge benefits.

 

Even some of the Guys on Talkshite are saying he should be knocking on Southgates door for the Euros etc, yes he’s over exceeded many expectations but is he ready to be thrown into the international Lions den just yet?

 

what a find what a player his performances of late have certainly put a few more zeroes on his price tag and one we need to keep hold of !

Edited by justfoxes
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...