Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

Only been able to watch first sessions due to timings in UK and watched last night. Chasing 407 and we end up on 190-2. So I was surprised to wake up to a draw! Phenomenal effort considering Pant and Vihari are with injuries, Jadeja is injured and now misses final test, and no Kohli. Even more impressive when you consider how badly and embarrassingly India lost the first test. 

Apparently Australia not lost a test in Brisbane for 32 years. Could be a cracker! 

Rishabh Pant :appl:. If he continues like that, he'll go to the higher levels of all formats. Already cracked T20 so now needs to perform consistently in tests. He and Pujara in that first session last night was great to watch. 

• Like 1

Is Paine actually taking the piss lol

Never seen Smith, or any other player do it before. With the amount of cameras and video around these days it surely would have been picked up if so?! 

Steve Smith did not deliberately scuff up the crease during the final day of the third Test against India on Monday, says Australia captain Tim Paine.

Former captain Smith was seen on the stump camera scraping the crease with his boot during a drinks break.

He was criticised on social media, with suggestions he was removing the India batsmen's guard - the marks used to guide where they stand.

"He was certainly not changing a guard," Paine said.

"I imagine if he was, the India players would have kicked up a bit of a stink at the time.

"As we know, he has those many Steve Smith quirks - one of those is he is always marking centre."

India batted out a tense final day to salvage a draw, ensuring the series remained level at 1-1 going into the final Test in Brisbane, which starts on Friday.

Smith, who was sacked as captain in 2018 following the ball-tampering scandal, was seen shadow batting and then scuffing the crease with his boots. When India batsman Rishabh Pant returned to the crease, he had to ask the umpire for his guard again.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan described the incident as "very, very poor".

"He (Smith) is disappointed with the way it has come across," Paine said.

"That is something he does every single game, five or six times per day. He likes to walk up to where he bats and visualise where he is going to play.

"Yesterday you could see him up there playing a couple shots as left-hander as if where he wanted Lyon (Australia spinner Nathan Lyon) to pitch the ball. It is one of his mannerisms."

Edited by StanSP

16 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

Smith will never learn. He should be given 100 lines of - "once a cheat, always a cheat".

Horrible individual, as are most of the Aussie team

Isn't this just yet another bit of dark arts that every player does but he's getting pelters for because he got caught once? 

It's like the ball tampering shit. I mean literally everyone does it right? 

Cricket always strikes me as a bit weird with its ethics. Like in rugby, this sort of shithousery is celebrated, the rules are basically if the ref didn't see it its legal and trying to get away with as much a a you can is part of the sport. 

Cricket can't seem to make up its mind if it likes skulduggery or if it's the sport of modern chivalry. 

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Isn't this just yet another bit of dark arts that every player does but he's getting pelters for because he got caught once? 

It's like the ball tampering shit. I mean literally everyone does it right? 

Cricket always strikes me as a bit weird with its ethics. Like in rugby, this sort of shithousery is celebrated, the rules are basically if the ref didn't see it its legal and trying to get away with as much a a you can is part of the sport. 

Cricket can't seem to make up its mind if it likes skulduggery or if it's the sport of modern chivalry. 

Not everybody brings sandpaper on to the field to tamper with the ball to that extent tbf. There's quite a bit of daylight between that and a bit of saliva.

A lot of the uproar on that was internal anyway because of the self-imposed red lines of the Aussie 'play hard but fair' schtick.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55629954

This is his reasoning..

I don't buy that at all. He can visualise where batsman are lining up without marking the centre. Literally no need to mark the centre to do what he is suggesting. He also does a little sweep of his foot before properly marking it which makes me think even more it's bollocks. 

The Aussies going all "play hard but fair" is bollocks anyway. Their ethos has always been that if you're on the field you're looking to win by whatever means necessary and if you don't buy into that then you shouldn't be on the field in the first place. That hasn't changed.

Whether one agrees or not with that level of ruthlessness is obviously down to the beholder.