Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Annoying? 

Some of them get far, far too excitable. Harsha Bhogle one of the worst. Like a kid at a sweet factory. Also tries too hard to be funny. 

He's the polar opposite of someone like Nick Knight lol

Annoying / almost arrogant at times. 

Screaming about the 8th, 9th and 10th wickets in England's second innings had me smiling. 

Big day tomorrow and I’m excited already. I do agree with Michael Vaughan though, if England are sat in the dressing room tomorrow evening over there and they aren’t 1-0 up I’m not sure they come back from that. I know that sounds like an incredibly defeatist attitude to have but those conditions can grind you down and the doubt starts to creep in. 

Pant has already showed that he’s not afraid to go after the spinners and target them, on pitches that should be suited to the spinners. likewise though, Leach’s wicket this morning and Dom Bess in the first innings shows that the England slow bowlers do have it in them to take the wickets they need. 

It’s going to be such an exciting day and the execs at Channel 4 must be patting each other on the back that the first test has panned out like this. I wonder what the viewing figures are like?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-9231101/amp/England-series-opener-India-attracts-peak-audience-1-1-MILLION-viewers.html - 1.1 million peak on Friday compared to 502k peak for the first eat of the series against Sri Lanka on Sky. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Manini said:

Big day tomorrow and I’m excited already. I do agree with Michael Vaughan though, if England are sat in the dressing room tomorrow evening over there and they aren’t 1-0 up I’m not sure they come back from that. I know that sounds like an incredibly defeatist attitude to have but those conditions can grind you down and the doubt starts to creep in. 

Pant has already showed that he’s not afraid to go after the spinners and target them, on pitches that should be suited to the spinners. likewise though, Leach’s wicket this morning and Dom Bess in the first innings shows that the England slow bowlers do have it in them to take the wickets they need. 

It’s going to be such an exciting day and the execs at Channel 4 must be patting each other on the back that the first test has panned out like this. I wonder what the viewing figures are like?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-9231101/amp/England-series-opener-India-attracts-peak-audience-1-1-MILLION-viewers.html - 1.1 million peak on Friday compared to 502k peak for the first eat of the series against Sri Lanka on Sky. 

I think it's too early to call about not coming back from a defeat.

They say a week is a long time in football. 5 days in cricket is a long time and there's 3 more tests to go. I think there's more resilience and 'dig in' attitude from this England side, perhaps in more characters than some i.e. Stokes, Root, Anderson.

The great thing about test cricket these days in general is that tests are lasting 5 full days and having very, very close finishes. Look at the 2 other tests and how close their conclusions were. Even if it doesn't happen tomorrow, it's a very encouraging place for Test cricket to be in given that shorter format usually takes precedence.

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

They say a week is a long time in football. 5 days in cricket is a long time and there's 3 more tests to go. I think there's more resilience and 'dig in' attitude from this England side, perhaps in more characters than some i.e. Stokes, Root, Anderson.

The great thing about test cricket these days in general is that tests are lasting 5 full days and having very, very close finishes. Look at the 2 other tests and how close their conclusions were. Even if it doesn't happen tomorrow, it's a very encouraging place for Test cricket to be in given that shorter format usually takes precedence.

Of course, lots of cricket to be played but India will take so much confidence from this if England don’t win, added on to how they must have felt after winning in Aus. It will make a difficult task 10x more difficult. 

I am still confident that England will finish the job though, I think India will have it in their head that they can get those runs tomorrow and I can’t see a world record chase on that wicket. Stranger things have happened though and I witnessed the windies chasing down 322 at Headingley and nobody gave them a prayer that day. 

If India chase that target down tomorrow I will eat whatever hat I own that the FT regulars choose.

A fifth-day turning wicket in India, 380-odd to score in a single day and a record target - it simply isn't happening, there's a world of difference between 320 and 420 in that regard.

That being said, as per above India batting this one out for a draw will feel like a defeat for England and with one eye on the World Test Championship final that will hit them hard.

6 hours ago, Manini said:

if England are sat in the dressing room tomorrow evening over there and they aren’t 1-0 up I’m not sure they come back from that

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

Stan's right.

India were bowled out for 36 in the first test in Australia, Kohli flew home, they suffered various injuries... yet came back to win the series including an amazing final day run chase in the final test.

So if England don't bowl them out on day five then it won't necessarily be catastrophic.

One more wicket to go. Actually surprised we were still batting when I woke up about 20 mins ago. It was the same feeling I had when I woke up and we were still batting against Australia but in a much stronger position lol

Root set the tone with that commanding first innings knock. Might have been some question marks about the declaration in 2nd innings but he's vindicated now with knocking us over with a session to go. Ably backed up by Stokes and Sibley and now his bowlers haven't let him down. 

It sets up for a great rest of the series as there'll definitely be a response in the next test. Same ground, different pitch, and perhaps some fans allowed in? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Stan's right.

India were bowled out for 36 in the first test in Australia, Kohli flew home, they suffered various injuries... yet came back to win the series including an amazing final day run chase in the final test.

So if England don't bowl them out on day five then it won't necessarily be catastrophic.

Good job I was talking complete bollocks then. Never in doubt! 

We've been fantastic, still think the spinners bowl too much filth but they're bowling enough wicket taking deliveries to win us test matches on the sub-continent at the minute. 

Root's been a joy to watch, so glad he's back to his best. He is the difference

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

How come Buttler isn't playing the other 3 tests? 

They have a rotation system to try to manage the players through a heap of test cricket , 20/20 World Cup , ashes etc  through the year .

Bairstow would almost certainly be playing but for that 

• Like 1