Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

5 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Was his personal reason the strip for the 4th test I wonder lol

I've been reading the posts on here and clearly you're an Indian fan, what type of pitch do you think we'll get for the last test? It's clear a heavily spinning track will favour India, as England have never played spin well, but is there a chance of a bit of a road being produced? Or is that unlikely this time of year in that area?

Either way, I think India have too much quality for us and it's likely to be 3-1.

As much as I want it to be a more competitive, even, challenging surface for both sides so that we can have an exciting final test, sadly I can only see it being a dry, bumpy, spin-favoured wicket.

The last test was a bit of a farce, admittedly. Not fitting of a test that the 2 teams deserved, let alone it being a game to open up the new stadium and with the amount of attention the series in itself was getting worldwide. A shame it was only 2 days. 

39 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What's everyone's opinion on 'umpires call'? Fair? 

Enough margin of error or too much? 

The more I think about it, the more I think it's odd to be able to call something which would have hit any part of the stumps 'not out' in any instance. If the technology says it would have hit the stumps, then it's out?

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 15:21, StanSP said:

As much as I want it to be a more competitive, even, challenging surface for both sides so that we can have an exciting final test, sadly I can only see it being a dry, bumpy, spin-favoured wicket.

The last test was a bit of a farce, admittedly. Not fitting of a test that the 2 teams deserved, let alone it being a game to open up the new stadium and with the amount of attention the series in itself was getting worldwide. A shame it was only 2 days. 

Looks like you won't need it to spin too much. Standard 1st innings from England.

Relying on the lower order to ensure the test match extends beyond about 3 days already  lol

44 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Depends what you want individually out of a test match probably. The more margin they give to the bowlers, the shorter tests will often be.

Some of the spinners wickets these days leave you wondering exactly how much to knock off bygone players averages.

Ultimately, it's better than batsmen thrusting their pad forward with their bat tucked behind it for hours.

Really annoys me when bowlers appeal with such agression and then don't review. 

The thing I don't like about umpires call is the fact the same delivery can be out or not out depending on what is given. I understand given power to on field umpire but I'd feel hard done by. I'd rather it be a pre-determined margin of the stumps that it has to be hitting and if it's not it's not out regardless of the onfield decision. As good as the technology is, there is still an element of guess work with ball tracking isn't there? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

The more I think about it, the more I think it's odd to be able to call something which would have hit any part of the stumps 'not out' in any instance. If the technology says it would have hit the stumps, then it's out?

I imagine it was introduced as the technology they first started using back in the day wasn’t accurate enough to allow no margin for error (don’t know that for certain but seems sensible). You’d have thought nearly 15/16 years down the line the manufacturers of HawkEye and the like will have fine tuned it to be able to account for less errors? I agree, if it’s hitting the stumps on DRS it would of hit the stumps in the match so should be out. 

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Really annoys me when bowlers appeal with such agression and then don't review. 

The thing I don't like about umpires call is the fact the same delivery can be out or not out depending on what is given. I understand given power to on field umpire but I'd feel hard done by. I'd rather it be a pre-determined margin of the stumps that it has to be hitting and if it's not it's not out regardless of the onfield decision. As good as the technology is, there is still an element of guess work with ball tracking isn't there? 

I thought the margin was if half or more of the ball was hitting, then it's out, but if not then it's not out, regardless of umpires decision. But then it goes back to @Voll Blau's point that if the ball is going to hit the stumps, even by nicking it slightly, then it would be out. I think that margin of error is too high. 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Bowler takes a hattrick, including wickets of Gayle and Pooran. Probably thinks he's having a worldie of a game. 

Then this happens... 

:nigel:

Read about that. Sounded a pretty mad game all round. Windies were something ridiculous like 52-0 off three overs when that all started too. lol

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

I think it’s probably ok as it is. I don’t think there have been too many travesties that I can call to mind although there’s usually some element of doubt with LBW and most batters are unhappy to be given out that way .

My bugbear with officiating is the abandonment of the old given  so far as cricket is concerned that in the event of uncertainty the benefit of the doubt be given to the batsman whatever the mode of dismissal. You see it quite often that they need to justify bringing to bear all the camera angles and technology and that pressures the officials to making a decision even when it remains inconclusive and the batsman should be allowed to remain 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

I'm ok with it. You'll get some for and against you but remember, DRS was brought in originally to clear up howlers and by and large it has done that (unless the third umpire stops the video halfway through).

Some decisions are marginal and the umpire deserves a bit of leeway.

• Like 1

At least its more of a contest. Bowlers have done well to keep in the game, Stokes and Anderson have done brilliantly to keep score rate down. They can't bowl for ever though and will have nothing left in the second innings at this rate. Spinners don't have the same control.

Need to restrict them to somewhere near our score.

Couple of examples of Umpire Call going for and against you. Pant one looked like it should be out, whereas Rohit one was close but given. 

I don't know whether Root has much say in selection or whether he's just a yes man to the selectors but selection in this and the last match have been ridiculous. Not even considering the resting. 

2 seamers in ridiculous heat, and played a spinner he doesn't want to use. 

Pant batted well and cashed in on the bowling, but now he's out. This tail needs mopping up quickly. 

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Rishabh :wub:

He hits the headlines for the great shots and big hits, but he deserves credit for how well balanced that innings was too - first 50 off 90-odd and second 50 off 24. 

Edited by Voll Blau