Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

I see our wonderful media don't even bother the 'building up' part with sportsmen these days before 'knocking them down'.

I don't know what Ollie Robinson tweeted when he was 17/18 years old, but why wait until the first day of his successful test debut to release it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/57335528

Edited by Duquesne Whistle
adding link

If being a bit of a dick aged 18 is a bar to progress, there will be no one left in any walk of life.

People can change and I disagree with calls on social media for him to be dropped for this.

A good lesson to kids that this stuff follows you around.

Still, I can't believe no-one looked through his socials before it was raised by the media.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Clearly not great. I'd still reiterate my original point though.

Yeah it’s not great and at the age of 18 you should know better, I’d not expect to see that tweeted from a 14 year old. Our media are so weird breaking scandals etc. Normally it’s before a big tournament. The lad has apologised but only because he’s in the limelight now. Academies across the board need to educate future stats of the importance of drug like this.  

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Yes - more than just having a joke with friends .

But he has been with England for a while so why is this picked up now ?

They will have been holding onto the story until he made his debut, becomes a bigger story then doesn’t it ?

The tweets obviously aren’t good but the media in this country really are scum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

I see our wonderful media don't even bother the 'building up' part with sportsmen these days before 'knocking them down'.

I don't know what Ollie Robinson tweeted when he was 17/18 years old, but why wait until the first day of his successful test debut to release it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/57335528

I'm not really sure you can pin this one on "the media" if it's just some random sadcase who's spent his day trawling tweets from nine years ago and it's ended up all over the internet.

They can't exactly ignore it at that stage and, more importantly, it also gives Robinson a right of reply. Hope it's a lesson to the current generation of upcoming sportspeople to be careful what they put online and that Robinson himself is genuine in his contrition, because it's pretty awful stuff to read.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

They will have been holding onto the story until he made his debut, becomes a bigger story then doesn’t it ?

The tweets obviously aren’t good but the media in this country really are scum.

Except they didn't, did they? The tweets surfaced *today* from some basement-dweller searching for them and that's how the media became aware of them.

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Except they didn't, did they? The tweets surfaced *today* from some basement-dweller searching for them and that's how the media became aware of them.

“Basement Dweller” lollollol 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

I don’t know. Do you know for a fact that the media have only become aware of them today ?

Knowing what the media in this country are like, I would suspect they have been aware of them for longer.

Erm, yes I do. Because no journalist would be dumb enough to let such an alleged exclusive end up all over Twitter before they could actually break the story by publishing it on their own website or in their newspaper. Random Twitter users were sharing it, journalists saw it, journalists reacted and wrote about it. End of.

If you think the lesson here is "the media shouldn't report incidents of racism when it's pointed out to them", rather than "people shouldn't post racist stuff online" then you're wide of the mark.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Still, I can't believe no-one looked through his socials before it was raised by the media.

This is the big one for me. With all the money in the game now, how is it difficult for countries to have people to check stuff like this 

16 hours ago, Vacamion said:

If being a bit of a dick aged 18 is a bar to progress, there will be no one left in any walk of life.

People can change and I disagree with calls on social media for him to be dropped for this.

14 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

This is the big one for me. With all the money in the game now, how is it difficult for countries to have people to check stuff like this 

There's apps and stuff that delete all your previous tweets from years ago, much needed going forward for any sportsperson IMO. This sort of thing will happen all the time as new 'celebrities' had social media accounts as teens unlike every generation before them.

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

That looked in to me?:dunno:

Fantastic 200 for Conway, unbelievable.

Very tight. I thought a tiny bit of the bat was behind the line as well.

Either way, fantastic debut innings - barely gave any chances and played some glorious strokes. New Zealand have a serious player there.