Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

England could have showed a little more intent, without taking that many risk.

Forgot what topic I was in and for a second didn't know whether you meant the football or cricket lol 

• Haha 1

Just now, StanSP said:

Forgot what topic I was in and for a second didn't know whether you meant the football or cricket lol 

I think it could easily be said about both.

We always seem to worry about not losing rather them winning in both sports.

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think it could easily be said about both.

We always seem to worry about not losing rather them winning in both sports.

It would be interesting to know whether this was a top down decision to play like this or whether it's coming from the players themselves. Either way it's a tad concerning with this team selection. If Stokes etc were in the team it would have been different but I don't think NZ declares either in that case. 

If this was a 1 day international, those runs would be knocked off easily.

As a spectator, I would much rather England for for the win than bat out for a bore draw.

I get it in a tournament setting, but a standard test match, I want them to at least try to win.

29 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

As a spectator, I would much rather England for for the win than bat out for a bore draw.

I get it in a tournament setting, but a standard test match, I want them to at least try to win.

It’s not a one day international though. Different rules, fielding restrictions, ball etc.

Not sure it was that much of a gamble by Williamson. New Zealand tried and largely failed to move the score on themselves this morning with the pitch and ball doing a bit.

They knew it would be difficult for England, especially a side with so many either out of form or quite inexperienced. England’s winning chances were always very slim.

Get the draw and look to win the series at Edgbaston.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

It's a two match series. Lose this and we can't win it.

Let's not forget that it took a big last wicket stand to get us to 275 in the first innings. Winning the match is a bonus from that position- not losing is vital.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

God, watching Sibley bat is enough to make even the happiest, most positive person want to drive to the nearest cliff to jump off.

Every inns he looks like he batting on a minefield of a wicket.

1 hour ago, Hoopla10 said:

It would be interesting to know whether this was a top down decision to play like this or whether it's coming from the players themselves. Either way it's a tad concerning with this team selection. If Stokes etc were in the team it would have been different but I don't think NZ declares either in that case. 

Pretty sure we would have played the same way with Stokes and Butler in the side.

NZ declared because the have the measure of England mindset.

You don't have to take cavalier shots to be aggressive, we didn't even look to push the field.

Such a different mindset to the ODI side, which can only come from the captains.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Every inns he looks like he batting on a minefield of a wicket.

Pretty sure we would have played the same way with Stokes and Butler in the side.

NZ declared because the have the measure of England mindset.

You don't have to take cavalier shots to be aggressive, we didn't even look to push the field.

Such a different mindset to the ODI side, which can only come from the captains.

I agree we didn't have to go mad to show intent. It wouldn't be in Stokes etc nature to play like that so if you're right then yeah it would be coming from the top down. Oh well roll of Thursday, terrible to say but being able to work at home is great for the cricket.

I didn't think he'd actually get banned. How old was he when he did those? 

We've all said stupid shit on social media when we're kids or younger and don't know much better. I think it's harsh to suspend him now for what was said several years ago. 

5 hours ago, Corky said:

Let's not forget that it took a big last wicket stand to get us to 275 in the first innings. Winning the match is a bonus from that position- not losing is vital.

There was no way we were going to lose eight wickets in the final session to lose that match IMO - and if we had, there would have been more questions to answer about the batting line-up than them being overly aggressive.

There was nothing to lose and no reason, none at all, to not have a go, at least for a little while.

11 hours ago, Corky said:

I disagree. I would much rather we go for the win from quite a winnable position, rather than bat out for the draw. I’m not too bothered if we lose the game - I would much rather we lose and have a damn good go at it, than play the way we did.

Most of the pundits thought we would go for it too. 
I think if Steve Smith was our Captain, we would have gone for it.

This is one of the things I don’t like about Joe Root as captain . He is very negative.  There have been many many times in the past when England have batted first and have a really good lead, but our declarations have come very very late (again the commentators and pundits often call for him to declare much earlier), and there have been occasions where he has not given the bowlers enough time to get the wickets.

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

I disagree. I would much rather we go for the win from quite a winnable position, rather than bat out for the draw. I’m not too bothered if we lose the game - I would much rather we lose and have a damn good go at it, than play the way we did.

This is one of the things I don’t like about Joe Root as captain . He is very negative.  There have been many many times in the past when England have batted first and have a really good lead, but our declarations have come very very late (again the commentators and pundits often call for him to declare much earlier), and there have been occasions where he has not given the bowlers enough time to get the wickets.

Winnable position? Correct me if I’m wrong but I think it would have been the third highest run chase ever out of the hundreds of Tests that have been held at Lord’s. And I’m betting the higher ones had way more time than a session and a bit.

Root has his flaws as a captain, but nobody has won from that kind of position on a ground that frequently offers a lot to the bowlers on the final day.

2 hours ago, Big Dave said:

You might not be but the players are- a key issue with England in Test matches in recent years is last innings collapses and shambolic efforts. They tried to ensure it didn't happen this time.

Yes, it was dull. I wouldn't want to watch it over and over again but I understood why they did it. If it was a five match series, it might've been different. With a better batting line-up, it might've been different. But the team decided it was best to play safe and try and win the next Test.

England get enough flak for the failings but I don't think this is a stick to beat them with.

• Like 1

Couple of points for me. 

1) England chose those tactics because they aren't that good. NZ superior test team currently. 

2) Robinson - personally I agree with a ban. Regardless of the time passed on those tweets, the fact he's 18/19 he will have full awareness of the negative point of those words. Yes people at 18/19 make bad decisions but vocabulary like that is pretty detestable. ECB have to take some form of a stand. If not they will be accused of plain ignorance to the matter. 

• Like 4

Seeing more and more of these cases where people's past social media posts are being brought to light. And have to ask what are sporting bodies doing about it?

When young players are coming through the ranks, they need to be educated about their social media responsibilities. And maybe some sort of a vetting process so there can be punishment much earlier at source 

While I don't condone what he said, punishing him a decade later doesn't solve the problem alone. Lessons need to be learnt

Edited by TK95
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Couple of points for me. 

1) England chose those tactics because they aren't that good. NZ superior test team currently. 

2) Robinson - personally I agree with a ban. Regardless of the time passed on those tweets, the fact he's 18/19 he will have full awareness of the negative point of those words. Yes people at 18/19 make bad decisions but vocabulary like that is pretty detestable. ECB have to take some form of a stand. If not they will be accused of plain ignorance to the matter. 

I think people are fixating too much on his age, there is no excuse for the language and the subject used, but surely the time for real punishment has passed? If he was a repeat offender and still doing it then that is different but maybe someone pulled him to one side and told him what he was doing was wrong, he matured, got educated etc? What length of ban would make a difference here, too?

The minimum punishment for racist comments in football in 10 matches, does Robinson get similar?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

I think people are fixating too much on his age, there is no excuse for the language and the subject used, but surely the time for real punishment has passed? If he was a repeat offender and still doing it then that is different but maybe someone pulled him to one side and told him what he was doing was wrong, he matured, got educated etc? What length of ban would make a difference here, too?

The minimum punishment for racist comments in football in 10 matches, does Robinson get similar?

Tbf the instances in football were social media comments from years before, they haven't punished that hard. Thinking Hamza, Bowen and Rice here. 

It comes back to what I think a lot of times when we come to these debates about racism and sexism in sport - we are on the whole, white males, making decisions about punishing white males. It requires the input of those targeted to really understand what may be considered offensive and suitable punishment. 

The ECB have to act - they can't afford to let it linger in an era where the England Cricket Women's team have deservedly increased their media coverage so much and Cricket's racial multiculturalism is so fundamental to the sport. We've all seen in sport how allegations/actions linger years on if the person is not deemed punished appropriately.