Jump to content
Facecloth

The Conspiracy Chart

Recommended Posts

While some things aren't always black and white, it really bothers me the kind of properly mental things that full-on conspiracy theorists do believe in. I work with one, she doesn't believe anything on the proper news, obviously paid zero attention in physics or biology at school but will happily take any bullshit she's read on Facebook or that infowars bollocks as gospel

 

Things she believes:

- ghosts

- COVID is a massive hoax

- man never landed on the moon

- dinosaurs never existed

- the royal family may be lizards

- vaccines cause autism

- masks suffocate users

- 9/11 was all a setup

- Bill Gates is trying to destroy the world

- 5G is cooking our insides

 

I don't understand how someone like that can't ever take a step back and see how utterly ridiculous some of these ideas are. Use logic. While it's fine to question what you are told, why doesn't that apply to what a nutter in a basement has written on their crappy homemade website?

 

Finland doesn't exist? You can literally go there. You can fly in a plane, and see it from the air, and land there and go there. That actually seems like a worse piss-take than the flat-earth "theory".

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Just another observation I’ve had with conspiracy theories, particularly far right ones. Social media sites, particularly Twitter and then news papers describe a lot of them as thoroughly debunked or proven not true and they are then suppressed. Whilst I’m sure that is right that they are thoroughly debunked and laughable, does this not feed the fire so to speak? 

I guess the argument is that suppressing them does feed the fire, but causes less harm overall than letting them propagate more freely.

 

Considering the harm so far caused by anti-vaxxer, climate change ignorance and QAnon et al that have up until now been given something of a freer ride on such big social media and newspaper platforms by even entertaining the ideas, perhaps that argument has some merit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bmt said:

Out of interest, does anyone accept the official accounts of the JFK assassination?

I guess it almost isn’t a conspiracy really

The overwhelming evidence points to the ‘fact’ that there just can’t have been a lone assassin.

There were simply too many bullets for a start and Lee Oswald was by all accounts at best a mediocre shot.

I find the ‘conspiracy’ around JFK just too plausible. He wanted to change things and attain ‘peace in our time’ and I believe the argument that just too many generals in and around the Pentagon just didn’t want this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Just another observation I’ve had with conspiracy theories, particularly far right ones. Social media sites, particularly Twitter and then news papers describe a lot of them as thoroughly debunked or proven not true and they are then suppressed. Whilst I’m sure that is right that they are thoroughly debunked and laughable, does this not feed the fire so to speak? 

I get what you're trying to say but there's no fair comparison to the left here because there aren't millions of leftists around the world currently basing their entire personality around a cult built on dangerous, extremely obvious and easily disproveable lies.

Edited by Carl the Llama
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

While some things aren't always black and white, it really bothers me the kind of properly mental things that full-on conspiracy theorists do believe in. I work with one, she doesn't believe anything on the proper news, obviously paid zero attention in physics or biology at school but will happily take any bullshit she's read on Facebook or that infowars bollocks as gospel

 

Things she believes:

- ghosts

- COVID is a massive hoax

- man never landed on the moon

- dinosaurs never existed

- the royal family may be lizards

- vaccines cause autism

- masks suffocate users

- 9/11 was all a setup

- Bill Gates is trying to destroy the world

- 5G is cooking our insides

 

I don't understand how someone like that can't ever take a step back and see how utterly ridiculous some of these ideas are. Use logic. While it's fine to question what you are told, why doesn't that apply to what a nutter in a basement has written on their crappy homemade website?

 

Finland doesn't exist? You can literally go there. You can fly in a plane, and see it from the air, and land there and go there. That actually seems like a worse piss-take than the flat-earth "theory".

There are too many people like this nowadays. More people should read and do their own research imo. 
But I genuinely think conspiracies are started and maintained in some cases out of nothing other than some people are just plain stupid, and bored.

The biggest one is happening right now imo. Our Tory government have made mistakes for sure, re Covid 19, but I don’t believe for one minute that they’ve done it out of wanting to attain some sort of state control on the people. I simply think they’ve got some things ‘wrong’ and some things ‘right’. Eg the test and trace was a hugely expensive flop, the vaccination programme on the other hand, looks to be a huge success, at least presently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

While some things aren't always black and white, it really bothers me the kind of properly mental things that full-on conspiracy theorists do believe in. I work with one, she doesn't believe anything on the proper news, obviously paid zero attention in physics or biology at school but will happily take any bullshit she's read on Facebook or that infowars bollocks as gospel

 

Things she believes:

- ghosts

- COVID is a massive hoax

- man never landed on the moon

- dinosaurs never existed

- the royal family may be lizards

- vaccines cause autism

- masks suffocate users

- 9/11 was all a setup

- Bill Gates is trying to destroy the world

- 5G is cooking our insides

 

I don't understand how someone like that can't ever take a step back and see how utterly ridiculous some of these ideas are. Use logic. While it's fine to question what you are told, why doesn't that apply to what a nutter in a basement has written on their crappy homemade website?

 

Finland doesn't exist? You can literally go there. You can fly in a plane, and see it from the air, and land there and go there. That actually seems like a worse piss-take than the flat-earth "theory".

Finland doesn’t exist pal I’ve been there and there is nothing at all interesting . Wait that was Nottingham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

There are too many people like this nowadays. More people should read and do their own research imo. 
But I genuinely think conspiracies are started and maintained in some cases out of nothing other than some people are just plain stupid, and bored.

The biggest one is happening right now imo. Our Tory government have made mistakes for sure, re Covid 19, but I don’t believe for one minute that they’ve done it out of wanting to attain some sort of state control on the people. I simply think they’ve got some things ‘wrong’ and some things ‘right’. Eg the test and trace was a hugely expensive flop, the vaccination programme on the other hand, looks to be a huge success, at least presently.

 

Absolutely, also people who are bonkers enough but still have access to the internet, and people who get a kick out of duping idiots. Then this kind of nonsense snowballs

 

I can understand in the old days where early scientific theories were shunned, because it seemed to clash so hard with the religious beliefs that the masses held, so people trusted what they thought they always knew. Now there is so much actual information out there, but a certain set of people just choose to flat out deny a lot of what is obvious and proven. It's dangerous. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I generally zone out when someone mentions conspiracy theories.

"Yeah but the American government did such and such..."

Yawn.

Am I a bad person for not giving a shiit about any of these conspiracies?

I'm the same really. Not sure it makes us a bad person but maybe we're just more 'grounded in reality' according to the chart.

 

Or maybe we're naïve, uneducated, accepting, not curious enough, lemmings or whatever.

 

I cba with conspiracy theories and find it all a waste of energy, but each to their own I suppose.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

There are too many people like this nowadays. More people should read and do their own research imo. 

The problem is Col, they are all entirely convinced that it is them that is doing the research and anyone who thinks otherwise only gets their information from CNN or the BBC. 

 

You try and engage with any of them and you can pull them apart in a minute, but they just call you the 77th and block you. 

 

13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

But I genuinely think conspiracies are started and maintained in some cases out of nothing other than some people are just plain stupid, and bored.

No arguing with that  lol

 

13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The biggest one is happening right now imo. Our Tory government have made mistakes for sure, re Covid 19, but I don’t believe for one minute that they’ve done it out of wanting to attain some sort of state control on the people. I simply think they’ve got some things ‘wrong’ and some things ‘right’. Eg the test and trace was a hugely expensive flop, the vaccination programme on the other hand, looks to be a huge success, at least presently.

They really don't think these things through do they. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe in any of them, mostly because I can't be arsed to look into any of them, and also because most are so obviously ludicrous it puts me off. I do however have fun making up ridiculous theories and telling them to some members of my partner's family, who believe most conspiracy theories whilst also being massive trump supporters for some reason, and watching them discuss it between themselves and agree with them is amusing. Wish I could remember some of the shite I've come out with, its incredible the way they lap it up. I also have an aunt who is massively into conspiracy theories,  mostly chemtrails and "big-" anything (her current target is "big-ag" (agriculture)), always makes for a fun Christmas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I guess the argument is that suppressing them does feed the fire, but causes less harm overall than letting them propagate more freely.

 

Considering the harm so far caused by anti-vaxxer, climate change ignorance and QAnon et al that have up until now been given something of a freer ride on such big social media and newspaper platforms by even entertaining the ideas, perhaps that argument has some merit.

I don’t just mean, “they’re burying it so it must be true” but more so that those who are that way inclined end up getting their information from an echo chamber of disinformation from an alt social media site. I think 4cham is one for example.

 

Then again, nut jobs are always going to be nut jobs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

There are too many people like this nowadays. More people should read and do their own research imo. 
But I genuinely think conspiracies are started and maintained in some cases out of nothing other than some people are just plain stupid, and bored.

The biggest one is happening right now imo. Our Tory government have made mistakes for sure, re Covid 19, but I don’t believe for one minute that they’ve done it out of wanting to attain some sort of state control on the people. I simply think they’ve got some things ‘wrong’ and some things ‘right’. Eg the test and trace was a hugely expensive flop, the vaccination programme on the other hand, looks to be a huge success, at least presently.

The one thing I've learned from this pandemic is just how incompetent and disorganised governments are, if anything, it's made me realise that they wouldn't have the capacity to run with any underhand complex conspiracy even if they wanted to. 

Edited by Collymore
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I don’t just mean, “they’re burying it so it must be true” but more so that those who are that way inclined end up getting their information from an echo chamber of disinformation from an alt social media site. I think 4cham is one for example.

 

Then again, nut jobs are always going to be nut jobs. 

Yeah, I get your meaning - the argument against that is that those beliefs and people cause less damage out in the world when contained to those echo chambers. Allowing "both sides" a lot of voice in the mainstream even when one side is something like QAnon doesn't actually discredit it, not any more; it just makes more people aware of it, interested in it, and perhaps willing to buy it.

 

Whether that's true and how true it is a real matter of debate, but given recent evidence I think it holds weight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Collymore said:

The one thing I've learned from this pandemic is just how incompetent and disorganised governments are, if anything, it's made me realise that they wouldn't have the capacity to run with any underhand complex conspiracy even if they wanted to. 

Oh god yes, completely incapable.  Maybe in the distant past they were unified enough, but I doubt it.  People fall out all the time, no way anything big stays secret.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Do people actually think that the Earth is fvcking flat? 

 

You have no idea mate. I went in to a flatearther FB page to see if they had any intelligent opinions to offer. 

I went in fully prepared to listen and be respectful. 

 

Within 2 hours, I was ranting and raving and threatening to phone childline on folk!

 

It brought out the worse in me but some of their "proof" is absolutely insane!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I'm the same really. Not sure it makes us a bad person but maybe we're just more 'grounded in reality' according to the chart.

Or maybe we're naïve, uneducated, accepting, not curious enough, lemmings or whatever.

I cba with conspiracy theories and find it all a waste of energy, but each to their own I suppose.

Exactly. 

The Moon landings were faked. So what?

JFK's assassination was an inside job. So what?

Deffo a waste of energy for me all that. 

Had a look over on Bentley's Roof recently and it's seriously paranoid, loony bin central in some of the threads.

 

15 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Also people make this like a crusade, it takes over and becomes their personality. My thinking is even if it is all true, how does it affect me? How do I benefit from knowing full well the roaul family are lizards? I don't. 

I think Gazza was mates with them #BucketOfKFC #FishingRod

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...