Jump to content
StanSP

LCFC 1-3 Arsenal - Post Match Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, goody2028 said:

Not really my point pal. I meant in one day we’ve had threads with people saying we’re in a title race to people getting worked up about finishing 7th or below. 

I was one wanting a West Ham result yesterday. My point was that before this game week I could see a possibility of us catching Man City (however unlikely it appeared). I said at the time that it was getting near the point where it would be impossible and I believe this weekend has put it finally out of reach. I don't think we'll finish below 7th and would back us to make top 4. I've noticed on this forum that there are two sets of people, ones who are overly optimistic and those who are pessimistic. The ones starting the threads about finishing 7th or below are probably not the same people who were wanting West Ham to win yesterday. Sorry for misinterpreting your point none the less.

Link to post
Share on other sites

People using tiredness as an excuse for performing badly. Is it not our inability to comfortably kill games off early enough that is making us tired? 

Either setting up wrong at the start, conceding and then having to rectify it after half time. Or going 1-0 up and then immediately sitting deep soaking up the pressure for the rest of the game. Both are knackering.

 

We lack that killer instinct to go out hard, get the goal and then push for the second. Then it gives you a bit of room for manoeuvre, fringe players can come on and its not such an energy sapper.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately we are not as good as some people think.

Hope I’m wrong. We won’t be finishing in the top six... 

Absolute Poo...

We know where the problems are but the club hasn’t done anything about it for the last two seasons...😡😡

Link to post
Share on other sites

One big thing for me is our lack of leaders on the pitch. In 2016 we had Morgan and Huth and to a certain extent Drinkwater and of course Vardy. Now we just don't seem to have these types of characters.

 

What we have now is a test of character. When things are going against you you need to stand up and be counted, make yourself heard show some determination. Frankly I'm not seeing that in the last two matches. The fringe players have simply got to do better. In 2016 Ulloa didn't play all the time but when he did he made a difference. That sort of thing isn't happening now either.

Next 3 matches are all about belief and character. Good players don't become bad players overnight but confidence can soon go. I am worried this is happening. 5 points from the next 3 matches with our injury list should at least keep us in the mix. Anything less and we will be out of the top 4.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buce said:

 

If there's one thing the last two games have shown us, it's that we don't need to fear Rodgers being poached by a top club.

 

Poor performance all round and the buck stops with Rodgers.

What a load of fuching bollocks. Still 3rd in the PREMIERSHIP. Still in the FA cup. The injuries this season have been unprecedented. I can't think of any other top manager that would've managed it better. Who, realistically would you prefer as our manager?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WalMelton said:

Unfortunately we are not as good as some people think.

Hope I’m wrong. We won’t be finishing in the top six... 

Absolute Poo...

We know where the problems are but the club hasn’t done anything about it for the last two seasons...😡😡

Come on you knwo that isn't true. We sold Chilwell for 45 million and Bought Fofana and Castagne. Both improved the squad. The season before we sold Maguire for 85 million and invested all the money in improving the squad.

I'm not having a go at you directly on this next point but some on here think we're Manchester City and can spend 40/50 million per player over and over again. We can't. We're simply doing bloody well given our size and depth of playing squad. We've suffered bad injuries from the end of last season all the way through to now and yet we're still in with a fighting chance of a top 6 finish. Yes we might not make it and the last two results are disappointing and a bit worrying but we're not out of it by any means.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, reynard said:

One big thing for me is our lack of leaders on the pitch. In 2016 we had Morgan and Huth and to a certain extent Drinkwater and of course Vardy. Now we just don't seem to have these types of characters.

 

What we have now is a test of character. When things are going against you you need to stand up and be counted, make yourself heard show some determination. Frankly I'm not seeing that in the last two matches. The fringe players have simply got to do better. In 2016 Ulloa didn't play all the time but when he did he made a difference. That sort of thing isn't happening now either.

Next 3 matches are all about belief and character. Good players don't become bad players overnight but confidence can soon go. I am worried this is happening. 5 points from the next 3 matches with our injury list should at least keep us in the mix. Anything less and we will be out of the top 4.

Yes, agree. Our situation is unfortunate, especially for a club our size, with our financial footprint. However, this is the time to prove that each and every player, is the player people think they are. Think they are that good, time to take these knocks, the injuries, the tiredness and make it a rallying point, make it work for us. We used the us v them in the great escape, now it is time to make the great leap, forcing ourselves into the Top 4 when it seems we are faced with insurmountable adversity.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, agree. Our situation is unfortunate, especially for a club our size, with our financial footprint. However, this is the time to prove that each and every player, is the player people think they are. Think they are that good, time to take these knocks, the injuries, the tiredness and make it a rallying point, make it work for us. We used the us v them in the great escape, now it is time to make the great leap, forcing ourselves into the Top 4 when it seems we are faced with insurmountable adversity.

Exactly. A sort of close the walls around us situation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ndidi and Tielemans are normally good at giving our centre backs an avenue to pass to but I thought they both uncharacteristically went missing today and that along with Arsenal first press forced us to lump it long all game. 

 

Completely gutted and dreading last few fixtures before international break but we have collectively put in a hell of shift to get to the position we are in now.  

 

Let's get behind the boys to finish the job!   Rodgers has made significant progress this season learning from his previous errors and should be given faith to get us over the line no matter how ugly it will be.  

 

Fcuk the haters

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Crap..!!! Rodgers is not to blame.!

I am a bit in. that i misjudged Brendan Rodgers. he's a very good manager, a nice guy and has strengthened the squad. Unfortunately he lacks some qualities necessary to achieve what the owners and fans want. I'm afraid I doubt he''ll find them. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Sick of saying/feeling like this at this stage of the season for the past 3 seasons.

3 seasons? Weren't we in about 11th this time in 2019/2020 season? We hovered about mid table all season. I think we hit a high of 7th or 6th or something all season with a drop into 12th. I don't remember this top four all season and then cliff edge drop that people seem to think is becoming a habit. It happened last season, sure, but I wonder if anything could explain that. The same sort of thing that could explain the flip in our home vs away stats (is it more than coincidence we played at home todays?). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you ignore covid (because no-one was buying in January in case anyone noticed) the biggest reason we cant sign anyone is all the useless and expensive dross we have had to get rid of first. ok we have now managed that to a large degree but this window just gone wasn't the time to buy.

I expect a few signings in the summer if we make top 4 but we'll need bodies even if we dont.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, reynard said:

One big thing for me is our lack of leaders on the pitch. In 2016 we had Morgan and Huth and to a certain extent Drinkwater and of course Vardy. Now we just don't seem to have these types of characters.

 

What we have now is a test of character. When things are going against you you need to stand up and be counted, make yourself heard show some determination. Frankly I'm not seeing that in the last two matches. The fringe players have simply got to do better. In 2016 Ulloa didn't play all the time but when he did he made a difference. That sort of thing isn't happening now either.

Next 3 matches are all about belief and character. Good players don't become bad players overnight but confidence can soon go. I am worried this is happening. 5 points from the next 3 matches with our injury list should at least keep us in the mix. Anything less and we will be out of the top 4.

100% 

 

Even Evans, Soyuncu, Kasper get stroppy and petulant rather than digging in. Happened with them last season and nothing I'm seeing this year is making me think any different will happen this time. Perhaps worth getting Fuchs back in the 11 for a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

3 seasons? Weren't we in about 11th this time in 2019/2020 season? We hovered about mid table all season. I think we hit a high of 7th or 6th or something all season with a drop into 12th. I don't remember this top four all season and then cliff edge drop that people seem to think is becoming a habit. It happened last season, sure, but I wonder if anything could explain that. The same sort of thing that could explain the flip in our home vs away stats (is it more than coincidence we played at home todays?). 

 

We were certainly aiming and challenging to be top 6, we might not have been in the top 4 or 6 all season but we we were certainly chasing before chucking the towel in and  falling off a cliff edge at this stage in the past 3 seasons (I might be wrong with 4 i'm going back to Puel day's where I never really wanted the season to start, i'm trying to block it out).

 

Edited by Matt
Link to post
Share on other sites

Things have been nose diving for a while.

Imo thing started to get really poor after JJs injury.

Vardy still looking a little slow.

Barnes needs " an op and 6 weeks"... but I expect his season is over. (nb I would be livid if he went on intl juty at end of season).

 

This is a big test for bredan now... to gather these guys and get them winning.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Crap..!!! Rodgers is not to blame.!

The approach to the last two games was wrong and he admitted as much after Slavia. 🤷‍♂️

 

Sure, it was magnified by the injuries, lack of rest, lack of signings, etc, but the tactics were the final nail in the coffin.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ffs we're third. Find another manager who would have done that with this squad, or acquisitions in January who would have helped but would cone in even without a guaranteed start. And that was with usual injuries. Add even more and this is going to be tough. But we're still in a position none of us would have expected in August given last season. Hopefully we can battle through. Or get some cup luck. No need to chuck out everything. And anyone who doubts that, where are Wolves in the table right now? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gutted for Barnes but it can't be used as an excuse for that shower of sh1t today.

 

The team was good enough to win that game.

 

Another game where we have failed to defend at set pieces as well. Surely its got to be time for some coaches that match the quality of our training set up?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Things have been nose diving for a while.

Imo thing started to get really poor after JJs injury.

Vardy still looking a little slow.

Barnes needs " an op and 6 weeks"... but I expect his season is over. (nb I would be livid if he went on intl juty at end of season).

 

This is a big test for bredan now... to gather these guys and get them winning.

Agreed.

 

Going back to Everton (27/01/21) I don’t think we’ve been great, performances and form has been lacklustre.

 

No disrespect to opposition and perhaps I should have been looking a little closer to home at the bigger picture but I thought it was due to opposition making the games poor in the games against Everton, Leeds, Fulham, Wolves, even when we won those games I thought they were poor performances but wins papered over them but the issues have been there for a month or so is the point I’m making.

 

We were pretty awful for 75 minutes against Liverpool but then switched into a very exciting team in the last 15.

 

I was waiting for an equaliser v Villa.

 

We never landed a glove on Slavia Prague over 2 legs.

 

The slide has been there to see since the back end of January. Very much like last season.

 

Edited by Matt
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Yea. Its moronic to discuss the tactics of a football game on a football forum how silly of me. 

 

You can talk about injuries and tiredness all you like it still doesn't change the fact the approach to the game was terrible and that there were better ways to go about it. 

 

Everyone was saying the same mid week. I guess they were morons too... until rogers come out and admitted he got it wrong though yea? 

Bit IT IS EXACTLY THOSE INJURIES..that are causing the problems...also no Returnee has been able to Kick on,but

so on avg we are missing 5-6 Elite players.

The team has no chance to build an on-field character or find either Team or individual rythme.Small Groups cant Build an understanding....!!!!

 

Where can you Blame Rodgers....This team, which we Dont have by the way is knackered, we dont have quality in depth, where those individual fringe  players can easily Slot in...for more that 2-3 games...

To press & be on the Front foot, you Need a fully match fit team, which we havent had since November..if at all...

Our Top players have been Nursed & Patched up, and are now suffering...

Team-sheet has been kept to  look pretty, but there is little to nothing there!!!

 

I compliment Rodgers & the recognized Quality players in forging their Way into the Top 3...

It shows the Quality exsists,but when every 2nd week,

The managers & Players dreams of creating & developing a Base group of players implode with Major Chronic injuries...The truth is your tactics  also implode...

Other Top  teams complain when they miss 2-3, Player from a high Quality squad of 15 Or more players Plus another 5 above average...

We aint got that.... We have potentially 5-7 high Quality player, Maybe 4-5 above average players....of those at least 7 have been hit by Chronic injuries, only just Returned & are still struggling..Plus 2-4 who have carried in with niggles...

We then happig Discover 2-3 players who have Jumped ahead of expected potential, then..wham!!!  Join the Chronic injury list...

 

After Early season progress, & tactics being shown to be successfull, then injuries ,and niggles are Compounded with a too a compact season,that Leads to visable fatigue...

 

How the fxxk, can One complain about tactics, or being forced on the back-foot, when we have Zero covering quality/avg Ressources

that can  be Moved in because they  too have injury problems....Because of having to respect the PL-clubs Covid bubble, we just cant Simply Drop in potential young talent....

 

Its frustrating, but the meat of our squad has been Strippen to the bone, whilst trying ( being forced) to Plaster in those Elite players....

Hats off to Rodgers, in Keeping it low key & Not showing about it...But now the shit has hit the fan, probably since January...the effects are there, individual players have still turned up & have their 100%, seen it Dwindle down to 75-90%,

because rotation Ressources were Simply Not ther. to Really Play high-Organe Top Level football...

That important intensity with Tactics are then simply thrown out of the window...

 

Leicester..."Our"  team has competed, upset the odds for 3/4 of the season, but 1-2 injuries too far ( Now Barnes ffs), like a Bridge Too far,

like last season..we have crack-troops, but we have just been pounded, that our losses ,again shown even with top rescources, you are Limited once they are regularly taken out....Tactics then mean Fxxk-All...

 

I Really want a complaining, continual negative fan, to come out und Show the World what they would of done, & prove it would of changed things..!!

And Please Dont try & say changing or bringing in One Maybe Two fringe/Academy players, would see us on the front foot & winning..!!

Rodgers tactics got us to compete Not for Top 7 but Top 4....

 

Because at the beginning of the season, all the trolls,know-alls und nay-sayers

These same posters, were yapping we would be Lucky to see Top 10...

Now like vultures, they see a wounded prey....and 'their' game is on again... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Alan Frost said:

I am a bit in. that i misjudged Brendan Rodgers. he's a very good manager, a nice guy and has strengthened the squad. Unfortunately he lacks some qualities necessary to achieve what the owners and fans want. I'm afraid I doubt he''ll find them. 

He's a savvy operator  when being interviewed, which hides some of his deficiencies as a manager. A bit like Frank Lampard

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, reynard said:

Come on you knwo that isn't true. We sold Chilwell for 45 million and Bought Fofana and Castagne. Both improved the squad. The season before we sold Maguire for 85 million and invested all the money in improving the squad.

I'm not having a go at you directly on this next point but some on here think we're Manchester City and can spend 40/50 million per player over and over again. We can't. We're simply doing bloody well given our size and depth of playing squad. We've suffered bad injuries from the end of last season all the way through to now and yet we're still in with a fighting chance of a top 6 finish. Yes we might not make it and the last two results are disappointing and a bit worrying but we're not out of it by any means.

Is that check back Chilwell. Do we want to go to the next level??? 
Doesn’t look like it.

Those players had a chance to go second in the league.. looked like they couldn’t give a toss...not the first time this season...

We don’t need bloody defenders every time we go in the transfer market. Oh wait a minute. Defenders make clubs more money when selling.

That’s why your kids need to be defenders if they have any chance of signing for any club. Especially lower league teams. 🤔🤔👍

 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agreed.

 

Going back to Everton (27/01/21) I don’t think we’ve been great, performances and form has been lacklustre.

 

No disrespect to opposition and perhaps I should have been looking a little closer to home at the bigger picture but I thought it was due to opposition making the games poor in the games against Everton, Leeds, Fulham, Wolves, even when we won those games I thought they were poor performances but wins papered over them but the issues have been there for a month or so is the point I’m making.

 

We were pretty awful for 75 minutes against Liverpool but then switched into a very exciting team in the last 15.

 

I was waiting for an equaliser v Villa.

 

We never landed a glove on Slavia Prague over 2 legs.

 

The slide has been there to see since the back end of January. Very much like last season.

 

But now Brendan has to play the cards he has... he has to install belief and a verve.  He is right... no point in crying about injuries.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well we've not really done much about that in terms of strength in depth for the past few summers have we now, we probably have the most depth we've ever had but it's still far from enough and always has been, i've said it every summer for quite a while now.

 

As for the second point, atleast we don't have that excuse going forward, god knows what the excuses for not landing a glove in the two legs were though.

Outside of another striker, I'm not sure what else we were desperate for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

But now Brendan has to play the cards he has... he has to install belief and a verve.  He is right... no point in crying about injuries.  

 

Exactly.

 

There is my worry though, he couldn't instill the belief and verve in them last year when didn't have the threadbare squad (Of which i'm not crying about, as I keep saying we've had injuries to several key players all season and just got on with it, there was nothing being made of it when we were going well, no point in crying now and using it as an excuse for our downturn) so i'm not sure I have confidence in him instilling the belief and verve this season and only seeing us sliding and struggling even for the remainder of the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...