Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

15 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

One possibility not mentioned is that Leicester and Liverpool could both lose - but Liverpool would need to lose by a few to bring goal difference into it on the final day.

It has been mentioned. The other GD alternative is that we smash Spurs by more than potentially 2 or 3 so that we do finish above Liverpool.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Seems less important after yesterday.

How may of us were tearful yesterday, don't think anyone will feel the same emotion for finishing 3rd or 4th 

Liverpool slipping up would have been heaven but it was expected that they would win but our glory yesterday wasn't.

Yesterday was colossal because it was in danger of becoming Spursy.

To come up short this weekend and next after last season would have been hugely demoralising for us.

Obtaining silverware is a huge monkey off the back for the squad.

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 2

Just realised that if we loose to Chelsea and beat Spurs we may still not qualify.   That would be heartbreaking.  

Need a result against Chelsea to keep the pressure on the other teams.   

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, AS78UK said:

Just realised that if we loose to Chelsea and beat Spurs we may still not qualify.   That would be heartbreaking.  

Need a result against Chelsea to keep the pressure on the other teams.   

Just beat Chelsea, job done, piece of piss. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Liverpool are arseholes and had we lost yesterday I'd be mortified at today's results. As it is, it's irritating but nothing more. We've got the FA Cup in the bag, top 4 feels like a bonus now. Although I'm sure the number crunchers at the club won't feel the same way!!

• Like 1

Feels like more of a free swing for us now. Tons of pressure on Chelsea though they do have the extra potential route with the CL final. 

Liverpool played like they have all season today. They didn't seem to have a bounce from the Utd win. More twists and turns to come I think. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I just want to put this out there but I ****ing love this. We’ve just won the FA Cup realistically we should be getting ready for the beach but we are not. 24 hours later we are nail biting and worrying about a trip to Stamford bridge for another absolutely massive game!! 

I’ve watched other teams do this for years. I never thought we’d be one of them. Big game after big game after big game!! Long May it continue!!

Now beat Chelsea lads. 

Exactly this. It's where we've always dreamed of being and here we are mixing it with giants 

Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Liverpool are arseholes and had we lost yesterday I'd be mortified at today's results. As it is, it's irritating but nothing more. We've got the FA Cup in the bag, top 4 feels like a bonus now. Although I'm sure the number crunchers at the club won't feel the same way!!

From what Brendan has been saying it makes me think the club have planned for Europa. CL is a bonus and they might change targets a little, but I don't think our plan changes a lot. Missed out on CL last summer and bought Castagne and Fofana for pretty much a net £0 spend. I reckon the wheels are already in motion on our summer activities, everything just seems very well run right now.

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

From what Brendan has been saying it makes me think the club have planned for Europa. CL is a bonus and they might change targets a little, but I don't think our plan changes a lot. Missed out on CL last summer and bought Castagne and Fofana for pretty much a net £0 spend. I reckon the wheels are already in motion on our summer activities, everything just seems very well run right now.

Yep! There's no way we've banked our finances on the champions league.

Top is a billionaire, what's 40m to him?

Trophies say far more than a Top 4 finish, yes I'd be gutted if we lost out again with only 2 games to go, but I would not say this season would be disastrous.

Just makes for an exciting finish to a great season for us.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Seems less important after yesterday.

How may of us were tearful yesterday, don't think anyone will feel the same emotion for finishing 3rd or 4th  

It doesn’t. I always want us to win. Winning the FA cup is one thing. But stepping on the toes of the big boys, particularly in a season when they had the audacity to suggest they were too good for us all? Nah, not having it. On Tuesday on behalf of the rest of the premier league, we will beat Chelsea and confirm third. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Trophies say far more than a Top 4 finish, yes I'd be gutted if we lost out again with only 2 games to go, but I would not say this season would be disastrous.

Just makes for an exciting finish to a great season for us.

Yep, 5th and the FA Cup is a brilliant season in itself. Top 4 would be a nice bonus.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 2

We're above Chelsea in the league and have beaten them twice this season already. It's quite possible that we'll beat them again.

• Like 2

I just think beating any side in the pl 3 times in a season is asking a lot. Would take a draw now. 
Might be completely wrong but I think we’re destined to finish 5th. 
Would I of took 5th and winning the FA cup at the start of the season? Absolutely. 

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We're above Chelsea in the league and have beaten them twice this season already. It's quite possible that we'll beat them again.

The mindset needs to be to expect to beat them again - and then go out and do it. Won't be easy though. I'm sure they enjoyed having to sit there and watch the lads celebrate. They'll play well on Tuesday but hopefully so will we.

Yesterday was amazing but I still  (ashamedly) see the top 4 on a par, and I'd be devastated if we lost it at the last again. 

Trophies are the goal of course, but CL moneys make that a whole lot more likely in the long run, especially with with players we seemingly have lined up. Seems destined to be us that miss out again but I dearly hope not.

• Like 4