Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

World class

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Huge combined Age difference, so our pair have time to step up.

100% I just don't think they are there yet.

But I don't think people can claim Ndidi and Tielemans are in the top 3 best in the world in their position just yet. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Our 3-1 and there 3-1 one are totally different chalk and cheese, Liverpool dominated us for 70 minutes and then collapsed. 

I think that are next obstacle to becoming a better side, being able to look after the ball better against the likes of Liverpool and Man City. 

I still think RM would beat us 7-8 times out of 10.

I was being facetious but I still reiterate that Real are not anywhere near the side they used to be. La Liga is an inferior league to the PL and yet they are 3rd, like we are in a stronger league and having beaten the entire big 6 this season. Ndidi and Tielemans would improve Real Madrid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I was being facetious but I still reiterate that Real are not anywhere near the side they used to be. La Liga is an inferior league to the PL and yet they are 3rd, like we are in a stronger league and having beaten the entire big 6 this season. Ndidi and Tielemans would improve Real Madrid.

I reckon La Liga is just has good...also with Bottom half Teams competing consistently..Plus IMO they have more Quality in their Local/national talent...

1 minute ago, fuchsntf said:

I reckon La Liga is just has good...also with Bottom half Teams competing consistently..Plus IMO they have more Quality in their Local/national talent...

It really isn't, it used to be but the last 3-4 years has seen the PL collectively get stronger than La Liga. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The question has to be to Rodgers, how come, considering we have a midfield better than Real Madrid's and one of the best defences in the league. Why are we playing against teams like Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City like we've won a competition and it's simply just an honour to be on the same pitch as them?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

The question has to be to Rodgers, how come, considering we have a midfield better than Real Madrid's and one of the best defences in the league. Why are we playing against teams like Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City like we've won a competition and it's simply just an honour to be on the same pitch as them?

All teams we've beaten by 2+ goal margins this season and comfortably so? Chelsea we systematically took them apart and dominated the game from start to finish. 

Real Madrid wouldn't take the game to Man City, no other team really does. If you do that you play in to their hands, we were poor last week but phenomenal against them back in October. Did we win a competition then to play them?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It really isn't, it used to be but the last 3-4 years has seen the PL collectively get stronger than La Liga. 

But theres the point...Over 60+ years or more the British have a few years/windows peaking, then the Spanish League regains the higher Stage "collectively"

However its Not about point scoring for me, its enjoying Football from all around the world & see it from what any day given presentation & perspective it offers..

But everyone to their own & how they Read it.:)

Just now, Ric Flair said:

All teams we've beaten by 2+ goal margins this season and comfortably so? Chelsea we systematically took them apart and dominated the game from start to finish. 

Real Madrid wouldn't take the game to Man City, no other team really does. If you do that you play in to their hands, we were poor last week but phenomenal against them back in October. Did we win a competition then to play them?

The Liverpool and Man City results seemed to be more to do with the other team absolutely collapsing than us bossing the games. That Liverpool game was mental.

Why are we incapable of holding onto the ball while the game is level against better teams, if we have one of the best teams in world football? We don't start playing until the other team has scored, part of which will be down to us being braver and part that the other team will naturally drop off a touch.

I'd say it's because our players are probably a smidge over rated on here and whilst they're the best we've ever seen, they're not as good as the players in the very top teams.

Youri is a don though, he could play for any team in the world right now, which is why I wouldn't begrudge him a move if we finish outside the top 4.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think R Madrid, A Madrid, Barc and Sevilla are still a match for most PL sides.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

The Liverpool and Man City results seemed to be more to do with the other team absolutely collapsing than us bossing the games. That Liverpool game was mental.

Why are we incapable of holding onto the ball while the game is level against better teams, if we have one of the best teams in world football? We don't start playing until the other team has scored, part of which will be down to us being braver and part that the other team will naturally drop off a touch.

I'd say it's because our players are probably a smidge over rated on here and whilst they're the best we've ever seen, they're not as good as the players in the very top teams.

Youri is a don though, he could play for any team in the world right now, which is why I wouldn't begrudge him a move if we finish outside the top 4.

But my argument isn't necessarily that we are one of the best teams in world football, but that Tielemans and Ndidi are both borderline world class and would get in most sides. So even though I could counter some of what you've said above, my point still stands that both of them are elite level. Tielemans is technically so good and Ndidi has very little rival to what he does, he's surpassed Kante who was the standout DCM.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think R Madrid, A Madrid, Barc and Sevilla are still a match for most PL sides.

Yes they are, but none of those would ever be scrabbling around mid table in La Liga. What does that tell you? Are Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool etc just not that good anymore and the above teams would sweep them aside with ease or is it because the strength of the PL means any wobble will be pounced on by a chasing pack of Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Leeds, Villa etc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

But my argument isn't necessarily that we are one of the best teams in world football, but that Tielemans and Ndidi are both borderline world class and would get in most sides. So even though I could counter some of what you've said above, my point still stands that both of them are elite level. Tielemans is technically so good and Ndidi has very little rival to what he does, he's surpassed Kante who was the standout DCM.

I suppose I was combining your opinion of our midfield with other people's opinions of our defence, which wasn't really fair, so sorry for that :D

In terms of all round player I'd still say Ngolo is streets ahead of Ndidi. I'd probably say that if Kante was still in our team with the way we play, you wouldn't find a great deal of difference between their tackling/interception stats. I love the way Ndidi will win the ball anywhere on the pitch and before you know it he's ran 20-30 yards with the ball or he's ran 20-30 yars and is recieving a pass further up the pitch. God I miss that little smiley b*stard

Edited by filbertway

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes they are, but none of those would ever be scrabbling around mid table in La Liga. What does that tell you? Are Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool etc just not that good anymore and the above teams would sweep them aside with ease or is it because the strength of the PL means any wobble will be pounced on by a chasing pack of Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Leeds, Villa etc

I think over all the PL 1-20 is stronger but the top 4 of La Liga are comparable to the 1-6 in the PL.

world-class
/ˈwəːldklɑːs/

adjective
  1. (of a person, thing, or activity) of or among the best in the world.
    "a world-class player"

I`d say we have Ndidi and Tielemans who fit that bracket.

Being an old boring git, its all about the news and sport for me in between work and the missus giving me a list of to do`s. I watch a load of football and I cant see a better defensive midfielder in the world at the moment than Ndidi. His passing has improved under Rodgers but his ability of breaking play up, being decent in the box for set-pieces as well his day job for me makes him one of the best and world class in position.

Tielemans is an old school high quality midfielder. The reason why I have labelled him as World class is because he is the type of player that has become a rarity, one that can pass, score, defend and tackle. These days central midfielders are ball winners or almost number 10s or forced into wider midfield positions. I cant think of 5 better all round central midfielders around hence putting him in.

We have a few who could join him one day like Fofana, Cags, Barnes etc but they are a long way off. Vards was at that level and despite a real shortage of amazing strikers around the world these days, I wouldn't put him there now.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

However good we think our players are we still generally look outclassed verses top opposition.

Eg. Man City and Liverpool. Yes we've beaten them both recently but when they're on their game we're outclassed.

We've got some way to go still.

And yet compared to last season we have improved infinitely against the top sides. Last season we didn't know how to play against Man Utd, this season in both games we have attacked them without playing a containment style of football. We took Chelsea and Spurs apart. The Liverpool game seems to be viewed that we got quite fortunate and then turned the screw, yet we had 3-4 glorious chances that Vardy and others wasted prior to them taking the lead, we were good that day and Ndidi especially had an obscene game.

What I find quite amusing is that when these sorts of debates come up, counter attacking football is used as the barometer for whether a team isn't yet on a par with another. By us playing counter attacking football vs Man City and Liverpool we are openly saying we aren't as good on the ball as them, yet the same people will criticise us for being too possession orientated in games and not direct enough.

I think we've done remarkably well this season, improved no end since last season which should translate in to a decent amount of points more than last season whilst juggling hideous injuries and competing in Europe and the latter stages of a domestic cup. I haven't seen many fans claim we have a side full of world class players, more we have a few individuals that are there or not far off (Tielemans and Ndidi). If not being able to play in to Man City and Liverpools hands by going toe to toe with them at pressing means we aren't as good as them then for one I'm not too bothered about that right now as we'd likely have 6 points less than we have got this season.

• Thanks 1

For the record I wasn't critising us but just pointing out that we still have a way to go if we want to play in our preferred game of possession football against the top teams. 

Some people think we're ready to compare us to Real Madrid, maybe in the near future but we need to prove our selves first.

2 hours ago, gerrytaggart said:

Genuine world class players and a world leading training complex. 

Unbelievable really isn't it!?!? 

After reading the thread about our relegation season under Micky Adams and surrendering 3 goal leads with Ricky Scimeca and Craig Hignett I needed to come back here to check I'd not dreamt the last 5 years. 

13 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

However good we think our players are we still generally look outclassed verses top opposition.

Eg. Man City and Liverpool. Yes we've beaten them both recently but when they're on their game we're outclassed.

We've got some way to go still.

Ndidi walks into man City and Liverpool starting elevens not so sure about anyone else.

I also don't think we're that far off being the best we can be. How many positions can we and would we be able to improve on?

Not sure we can improve the back 3 and 2 full backs.

Goalkeeper no

Tielemans ndidi Madison no

Barnes no

I'd say the only first team positions where we can improve are possibly striker and right wing after that it's squad depth and rotation which can definitely be improved.

Obviously there's players improving through coaching and experience which is what I hope will happen with our current team. And then we win champions league.

12 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

For the record I wasn't critising us but just pointing out that we still have a way to go if we want to play in our preferred game of possession football against the top teams. 

Some people think we're ready to compare us to Real Madrid, maybe in the near future but we need to prove our selves first.

...there are teams that possession football is not a good ploy to adapt, when playing against them!!!

If teams seek to just keep the numbers down,  then they are defeated already, but a strategic plan, so long as you have the personnel where containment is a means to an end (instead of the only thing you could think of) affords you with an opportunity to compete. 

We would have to spend some very serious money to improve on the players we have in many areas, and we won’t do that. We have a number of top class players and some nudging world class. I personally think Ndidi is world class, but that is only my opinion. 

There are players out there for reasonable cost who might well improve us further, or offer the potential to improve us going forward. 

I imagine, if we secure CL football, which we should, there might be some small tweaks to our transfer policy, but no sea change. 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 13:12, bovril said:

Current or previous players I'd say:

Banks

Shilton

Lineker

Mancini (fleetingly)

Cambiasso

Kante

Maybe Mahrez 

I would say Mancini and Cambiasso are the best ever players to pull on a Leicester shirt though they weren't at their peak with us as others have mentioned. Mahrez is incredibly gifted. Tielemans could go on to be the best of the lot. 

Sort of agree. I don't think that Lineker was world class while he was playing for us. Arguably later. Vardy was more world class while he was playing for us, if that makes sense. 

Vard's, Youri, and Wilf for me. I also think little Wes has everything, to be in the top 5 Centre Backs in the world. We have the best Leicester team I've seen in 50 years of being a Leicester fan. Vardy is the best striker we've ever had, and Mahrez the most skillful I've seen, though Frankie Wortho needs a mention. Brilliant on the day, and totally unique I would say.

The future's so bright, you've got to wear shades!

When your smiling!!!

• Like 2