Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Seen most players in the last 60 years. I would go for two from the 50’s, Arthur Rowley and Derek Hines.
 

Both forwards who played together I know. Rowley for his unbelievable goal scoring prowess and Hines for his loyalty to the club over a long period. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bovril said:

Izzet was my favourite player growing up but looking back I think Lennon was better. One of our best players of that era. 

The gist of the thread is players you’d want to see. From what I’ve read the more discerning types do seem to appreciate Lennon more but are fonder of Muzzy. 
 

(Seemingly) they were both great players but Izzet was the more exciting player and crucially, isn’t ginger.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OLD norfox said:

What about that screamer against Liverpool ?

 

Right on the stroke of half-time. Crazy celebrations all round the ground throughout the break. Remember one paper saying; 'the Queen could have spent half-time riding a unicycle round the centre-circle and no-one would have noticed!'

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bourbon Fox said:

I've wanted to watch Lenny Glover ever since I saw a GLOVER IS GOD sign on an old VHS retrospective.

 

Also Rowley - 16 hat tricks at Leicester, I'd love to see what that kind of dominance looked like today.

An odd player Glover, could be outstanding for one game then crap for 3. He'd be too inconsistent today I think. There again, players, and in particular wingers get a lot more protection nowadays than they used to.

I remember a story told by Frank Worthington at one of his after dinner talks. He told of a match against Liverpool whereby a few minutes in he meggsed Tommy Smith who was extremely angry and told him in no uncertain terms that he was going to hospitalise him at the next opportunity, apparently right in front of the ref. Frank turned to the ref and complained. The ref subsequently stated that he wasn't going to do anything about it and that his advice was to 'go and play on the right for a little while Frank and give him chance to calm down a bit, you know what he's like!' 🤣🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to have my own kids and tell them stories about the city heroes of my time... they'll hardly believe I got to see Ben Mee, Ryan Bennett and James Vaughan in the flesh

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nabb7 said:

I can't wait to have my own kids and tell them stories about the city heroes of my time... they'll hardly believe I got to see Ben Mee, Ryan Bennett and James Vaughan in the flesh

Halcyon days! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to my old man, who was a City fan between the wars, Ernie Hine had the fiercest shot in football. Reckoned he saw him break the net at Filbert Street. Got my doubts, but he swore it was true. 

He also had Sep Smith as the best player, till he saw Keith Weller who he loved. Channy was his favourite though. Shame he (the old man) pegged before the Vardy era. Would be interesting to compare those two!

 

Edited by Stoopid
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stadt said:

The gist of the thread is players you’d want to see. From what I’ve read the more discerning types do seem to appreciate Lennon more but are fonder of Muzzy. 
 

(Seemingly) they were both great players but Izzet was the more exciting player and crucially, isn’t ginger.

I'll known doubt get knocked for this, but Lennon was not dissimilar to Youri this season. Shaved down a few %. But not that far off. Completely dictated our rhythm and despite carrying a few pounds, he was deceptively fit

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stadt said:

The gist of the thread is players you’d want to see. From what I’ve read the more discerning types do seem to appreciate Lennon more but are fonder of Muzzy. 
 

(Seemingly) they were both great players but Izzet was the more exciting player and crucially, isn’t ginger.

Lennon was the metronome-type in that midfield, kept it moving nicely and very good at tackling. A key component who we missed hugely when he left.

 

Izzet, on form, was a joy to watch. Used to glide at times, took a brilliant set-piece, composed in front of goal (excellent header of the ball for a smaller man).

 

Both were quality players in their differing ways.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2021 at 00:11, BoyJones said:

Seen most players in the last 60 years. I would go for two from the 50’s, Arthur Rowley and Derek Hines.
 

Both forwards who played together I know. Rowley for his unbelievable goal scoring prowess and Hines for his loyalty to the club over a long period. 

Like you I have seenteams since late fifties and  one of the teams  I enjoyed  watching more than most  actually got relegated  despite having  Froggart  Morris Hines and Rowley and I  think until  the last  2 decades or so  many preferred entertainment over results which is why  the Bloofield era was so popular.  A typicalexample of this was 1965-1966 b when we lost 5-0 to ManUnited and came off to a standing ovation their goalie was man of the match

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Like you I have seenteams since late fifties and  one of the teams  I enjoyed  watching more than most  actually got relegated  despite having  Froggart  Morris Hines and Rowley and I  think until  the last  2 decades or so  many preferred entertainment over results which is why  the Bloofield era was so popular.  A typicalexample of this was 1965-1966 b when we lost 5-0 to ManUnited and came off to a standing ovation their goalie was man of the match

I was at that game on my own. Went into the wing stand as queues too big in the Kop / popular side. Cost me 2s 6d, nearly two weeks pocket money!
 

True though, Leicester were real entertainers and exciting to watch for all of the 60’s and until mid-late 70’s, after which the quality of player unfortunately dropped, apart from one or two exceptions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2021 at 10:36, Stoopid said:

According to my old man, who was a City fan between the wars, Ernie Hine had the fiercest shot in football. Reckoned he saw him break the net at Filbert Street. Got my doubts, but he swore it was true. 

He also had Sep Smith as the best player, till he saw Keith Weller who he loved. Channy was his favourite though. Shame he (the old man) pegged before the Vardy era. Would be interesting to compare those two!

 

Ha ha ha. Sounds like my old boy. Reckons Rowley had the hardest shot he ever saw, once breaking a rival goalkeepers hands against the crossbar with the ferocity.

 

He tends to be full of shit though. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Would've loved to have seen Derek Dougan in a City shirt. Did see him play for Wolves - class act!  He seemed to score plenty of goals for Leicester, as did Jackie Sinclair - a player I never got to see. How great would it be to have a goalscorer like Arthur Rowley? His stats are out of this world at a time when you needed to be tough just to survive league football. 

On the Lenny Glover argument - there is no argument - he was so good he should definately be in your team!! Fabulous player!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Would've loved to have seen Derek Dougan in a City shirt. Did see him play for Wolves - class act!  He seemed to score plenty of goals for Leicester, as did Jackie Sinclair - a player I never got to see. How great would it be to have a goalscorer like Arthur Rowley? His stats are out of this world at a time when you needed to be tough just to survive league football. 

On the Lenny Glover argument - there is no argument - he was so good he should definately be in your team!! Fabulous player!

Jackie Sinclair was some player - my first real hero, along with the Doog.

Remember the disappointment when we sold him to Newcastle. Dumb move on our part. 

The understanding between him and Dougan was pretty special. Got so many goals between them. A joy to watch. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Would've loved to have seen Derek Dougan in a City shirt. Did see him play for Wolves - class act!  He seemed to score plenty of goals for Leicester, as did Jackie Sinclair - a player I never got to see. How great would it be to have a goalscorer like Arthur Rowley? His stats are out of this world at a time when you needed to be tough just to survive league football. 

On the Lenny Glover argument - there is no argument - he was so good he should definately be in your team!! Fabulous player!

Jackie Sin lair was one of my favourite players. 50 goals in 103 appearances. Sensational for a winger. No idea why we sold him. Also cousin of Tommy Wright, another City legend. 

Always a fan of Lenny, although I'm not sure what happened to him. Was unplayable in the late 60s, but then just became very good. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/03/2021 at 20:20, Bayfox said:

I had you down as a similar age to me. Obviously not. I saw Gary Mac play albeit briefly he was a rolls Royce of a player bit like Esteban he made it all look so easy, natural and played at his own pace.

 

Was absolutely no surprise to me when he rocked up at Liverpool later into his career and helped then to a cup treble 

My Dad always talks about McAllister so highly, really rated him. Good to see similar thoughts on here. 

He was at Leeds too in that 92 side I think with the likes of Gary Speed.

  

On 24/03/2021 at 00:10, bovril said:

Izzet was my favourite player growing up but looking back I think Lennon was better. One of our best players of that era. 

I recently watched one of the season reviews back and looking back Lennon was much better than just a holding midfielder. Some of his set pieces and crossing were excellent.

 

For me I'd love to have seen, in particular; Banks, Shilton, Lineker.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Jackie Sinclair was some player - my first real hero, along with the Doog.

Remember the disappointment when we sold him to Newcastle. Dumb move on our part. 

The understanding between him and Dougan was pretty special. Got so many goals between them. A joy to watch. 

Jackie Sinclair, a great, great player.

 

Can still remember a goal he scored when we beat Wednesday 4-1 in December 1965. We’re defending the Kop end and Banks launches the ball well over half way line and down the inside left channel. Sinclair is facing their goal, the ball bounces behind him, he hooks it over his head and the defender with his heel and then volleys it in with the keeper beaten all ends up. I was in the double decker that night and whilst I’ve forgotten many goals, that one will always stand out in my mind. 
 

If you look on you tube they a MOTD Chelsea v Leicester from a few weeks earlier in October 1965. Jackie Sinclair plays. 45 minutes of highlights, but it’s got sound interference and not an exciting game. Commentary and film quality as you would expect from 56 years ago. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rowley, Chandler, Sinclair, Gillies, Mclintock.

My first trip to Filbo was in 1968, with the likes of shilton, Nish, Rodrigues, cross, Glover, Alan Clarke and  & co. Did see Banks playing at Filbert street but it was for Stoke (we won 2-1)

Whilst the MON era brought us a couple of trophies, and there were certainly some great players in that era, for me the Bloomfield Boys were arguably the best all round side we have ever had, prior to the current one. In terms of sheer entertainment value, with the likes of Wortho, Weller and the Birch, they were right up there.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...