Chocolate Teapot

Did Rodgers make the right call?

Did Rodgers make the right call?  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Should he have dealt with the players so publicly?

• Yes - they're idiots and they deserve it.
    • No - fine them and don't bring unnecessary scrutiny upon the club.

Just now, Babylon said:

There was no call to make surely? They’ve basically been isolated away from the group due to breaking the bubble, which would be protocol I would have thought.

They'd have been tested twice since the alleged party so don't believe it is protocol

• Like 1

Players have way too much power these days. The power is without doubt with the player.

If you dont almost shame players to step up like Rodgers has done, you just send a weak message to the rest of the squad. IMO, he absolutely made the correct call here. I would go one step further though, I would put the pressure on that they impress in training and show that their attitude will change for the better. They went to this gathering knowing that not only the club, but the whole country have had to make sacrifices. I for one have a 22 year old son I havent seen since just before Christmas and its Covid related. If we are expected to follow the rules, they should too. Sometimes footballers are so thick it makes my head hurt, last weekends goings on just show me how dumb some of these young men are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes. They had to be reprimanded. Regarding whether it should be now or the semi-final is neither here or there. He felt it best to deal with it now and move on. He’s handled it really well, the lads have been let off, lightly if you ask me.

• Like 2

Easiest decision I've ever had to make in a poll. Considering what was at stake and the time in the season it's appalling behaviour. They have let their Team-mates, Manager, chairman and fans down. I hope they each do a public apology on camera. 

Yes he made the right call. He has the other players and staff to think about. Some may have lost relatives and foreign players most probably haven't seen friends and family for a very long time and are here on their own.  Going by the responses on the forum today it's an emotive subject and I should imagine the players were upset and angry too. Brendan was very poorly with covid and Cags currently has it. He treats them with respect yet they have shown him none.  

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Yes. They had to be reprimanded. Regarding whether it should be now or the semi-final is neither here or there. He felt it best to deal with it now and move on. He’s handled it really well, the lads have been let off, lightly if you ask me.

Was it forced though?

Is there a period of self isolation they have to do so other squad members aren't at risk?

I don't see that he had to make a call.

It's been massively blown out of proportion with the game, what happened in the game and the disgraceful performance.

Perez might have played but does he really add much? Really? You're telling me he'd have made the difference? Maddison would have been on the bench - Probably come on at some point, Hamza might not have even made the bench, very unlikely he'd have come on.

If people wanna make this an excuse for today, make them feel better about it then so be it, but personally they're two different discussions.

As i've already said Rodgers has said they'll be available next week - So all will be swept under the carpet, unfortunately he has little or no other option, which is the crux of the point - They can do no wrong and there is no real punishment.

BR could easily of said it will be dealt with "internally" but he didn't, he's called them out, knowing that they'd get panned on social media. I do wonder if they'll be "deeply sorry" though. It smacks of players only being at clubs for the money rather than the need to win at all costs.

Morally - Yes. 

In hindsight - Had we not lost the game - Yes. Having the lost the game it seems like a gamble that’s not paid off. 

Personally I think the punishment would’ve been better being handed out next weekend, imagine coming back to the squad then having to miss out at Wembley. That would’ve been a real killer. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Matt said:

They can do no wrong and there is no real punishment.

Well they can do wrong and there is a real punishment. Just because they don't make the squad or might/might not have played, they've still missed out today. Whether you rate the player or not is a moot point. 

Not to mention they might have been fined? 

So I'm not sure what the other solution was? If they didn't get fined, and did play today, then you'd still be saying the same thing, no? 

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

BR could easily of said it will be dealt with "internally" but he didn't, he's called them out, knowing that they'd get panned on social media. I do wonder if they'll be "deeply sorry" though. It smacks of players only being at clubs for the money rather than the need to win at all costs.

But he did..!!i

Amy other Part he Content or shouldnt hide...Else the Media would have twisted it..!

Just now, ttfn said:

The “pay off” is not winning or losing 1 game of football.

It’s Rodgers setting a precedent that wilfully ignoring his and the club’s instructions is not acceptable. The “pay off” is his ability to run a properly disciplined team that he can be confident is pulling in the same direction. 

As disappointing as today was we still have 21 points to play for and some big games at the end of the season. Hopefully this will prove to be something which unites the squad rather than something which divides it.

Take the whole context of the post rather than just picking one thing out. We should’ve won today with what we created. Had we won this would’ve been a master stroke by Rodgers. We just need to move on and those that have let our club down need to do something serious for us over the next 8 weeks. 

Brendan did the right thing to teach a lesson, sadly however these lads couldn't give a damn. Sad to say it's not just about footballers in general it's modern society lads of certain age don't like being told what to do. No doubt these three lads are messaging to each other and treating all as a big laugh. 

Maybe the league could do more perhaps to send a message to clubs in the future, any player caught breaking covid rules will be banned for the rest of the season. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1