Jump to content
LestaLad

Robin Gosens (unconfirmed)

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

No doubt a good player but surely money can be spent better elsewhere this summer? We’re not going to have a huge summer of spending (assumedly) and we’ve got Thomas Justin Ricardo and Castagne? Not saying he wouldn’t be a good addition but surely financially we need to target other areas of the pitch. 

The issue there is JJ is out till November and will take time to get back to full swing, look at Ricardo for instance.

Ricardo and Castagne haven't shown too much comfort on the left either, with the former still looking uncomfortable. 

Leaving Thomas as our LB cover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The issue there is JJ is out till November and will take time to get back to full swing, look at Ricardo for instance.

Ricardo and Castagne haven't shown too much comfort on the left either, with the former still looking uncomfortable. 

Leaving Thomas as our LB cover.

Yep agreed. I have no doubt this guy is decent but for me personally if we’re limited to a 50m (for example) net spend this summer then I’d rather spend that on a striker and a winger and give Thomas more opportunities to play. I think he is good and could be very very good. Although, he’s better suited to a back 4 so if BR persists with the 5 then he may need to adjust his game to play as a more effective wingback 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If the 1st rumours are even slightly true that he's close to agreeing to sign for us if we qualify for the Champions League then I'd be very surprised he'd have entertained such talks so early if his preference has always been to remain in Italy. Talks occurring this early tend to happen when all parties have a mutual desire to get it all agreed and benefit from doing so.

What if we don't and Atalanta do. In the end it will be about money , we will have to pay the club and him considerably more than anybody else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

What if we don't and Atalanta do. In the end it will be about money , we will have to pay the club and him considerably more than anybody else.

Sorry I'm not quite following?

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If the 1st rumours are even slightly true that he's close to agreeing to sign for us if we qualify for the Champions League then I'd be very surprised he'd have entertained such talks so early if his preference has always been to remain in Italy. Talks occurring this early tend to happen when all parties have a mutual desire to get it all agreed and benefit from doing so.

The level of sources who have come out and supported this rumour gives legs to it. Fabrizio Romano in particular doesn't publicly back things unless there is movement in it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wake me up when we get Champions League. I was thinking about him on Sunday and stated to get sad and depressed. I'm putting this out of my mind until the end of season. Don't want to hate watching something that I Love. Watching us play football. Bye.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Sorry I'm not quite following?

Money is the name of the game, he is not a young up and comer , he is a seasoned pro. Also of course Atalanta could themselves qualify for the C.L. Also you should never underestimate the power of a player's wife or partner. Bergamo is a very pretty place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Money is the name of the game, he is not a young up and comer , he is a seasoned pro. Also of course Atalanta could themselves qualify for the C.L. Also you should never underestimate the power of a player's wife or partner. Bergamo is a very pretty place.

None of these talks would've happened or even started should the latter issues have been an issue. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This guy is properly, properly good. I don't think we could realistically sign anyone better than this for any position in the summer unless we pull another rabbit out of the hat and unearth another gem. We might well do that as we have a great track record of doing it, but this is the sort of signing you make if you are a Champions League team who are serious about staying there. 

 

Honestly a better team than us should be looking to pick him up, but the Covid market gives us a chance. For some reason the big teams did not sign Tielemans, and that turned out brilliantly for us. I'd put Gosens on the same level as Tielemans, though Youri has a higher ceiling. The player now has 11 goals and 6 assists in Serie A and the Champions League, those are world class statistics for a LWB. 

Fair enough. Haven’t seen much of him. Would rather we spent the cash on a winger and used Thomas personally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible that, with COVID having supposedly lowered transfer values and the FA suspending FFP this summer (if that can be believed), that our owners have decided to seize this one-off opportunity to seriously improve the depth and quality of our squad and to splurge a large nett amount on transfers, contrary to their usual practise of adopting a very conservative financial strategy.

 

Difficult to believe, though, considering how much of a hit their main business must have taken over the last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Money is the name of the game, he is not a young up and comer , he is a seasoned pro. Also of course Atalanta could themselves qualify for the C.L. Also you should never underestimate the power of a player's wife or partner. Bergamo is a very pretty place.

 

Yeah, but Leices...

 

Ok, good point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Iran said:

 

If this is true it would suggest we going after signings regardless of where we finish, which feels risky to me unless they have a big sale lined up, which I'd be suprised about as I can't see clubs paying over the odds for one of ours.

 

In our favour we have the wage bill significantly reduced - king, James, Morgan, fuchs, slimani and silva all removed and all their transfer fees amortised. We'll have back to back European football too most likely - just depends which tournament.

 

I wonder if the club have said they'll back Rodgers regardless to keep him happy and they feel this summer is a good one to capitalise on a depressed market.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something about this suggests we are being played by Gosens and his agent briefing the media to renegotiate his contract. The last time we bought an experienced current International defender was when? Atalanta will certainly need him if they qualify for the C.L. If we were experiencing the same situation with one of our key players we would certainly be suspicious.  Before you correct me ,Yes Jonny of course and he has been one of the best signings in our history.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

If this is true it would suggest we going after signings regardless of where we finish, which feels risky to me unless they have a big sale lined up, which I'd be suprised about as I can't see clubs paying over the odds for one of ours.

 

In our favour we have the wage bill significantly reduced - king, James, Morgan, fuchs, slimani and silva all removed and all their transfer fees amortised. We'll have back to back European football too most likely - just depends which tournament.

 

I wonder if the club have said they'll back Rodgers regardless to keep him happy and they feel this summer is a good one to capitalise on a depressed market.

With no FFP rules to abide by next season, the owners might just be prepared to spend £100m to ensure LCFC remain competitive against other clubs who may spend heavily (Everton, Villa and West Ham). Just a thought.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Something about this suggests we are being played by Gosens and his agent briefing the media to renegotiate his contract. The last time we bought an experienced current International defender was when? Atalanta will certainly need him if they qualify for the C.L. If we were experiencing the same situation with one of our key players we would certainly be suspicious.  Before you correct me ,Yes Jonny of course and he has been one of the best signings in our history.

Atalanta pay very modest wages, no way he is staying there. They know when to cash in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Atalanta pay very modest wages, no way he is staying there. They know when to cash in.

1 year left on his deal as well, with Inter and Juve also being interested in him there is no way they will keep him and risk losing him on a free next year

 

They are probably just hoping the Italian teams get involved and push the price up

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Atalanta pay very modest wages, no way he is staying there. They know when to cash in.

 

Wouldn't surprise me if this is a bit like Kante a few years ago. He's hanging on because he wants to go to Juve or Inter but he ends up coming to Leicester because we actually bother to bid the tidy amount Atalanta can milk us for and he's left with little choice. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...