Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lemon Harpic

Deleted Threads

Interesting debate. Sometimes I can't see why posters need to be reminded of the 'Guidelines' Is it not like in the real world. How many on here walk down the street shouting abuse at every passer by?

A poor analogy maybe but all I'm saying is that there are rules in your everyday life on howe to behave so why should a message board be different?

On the OS message board if anybody mentions that there are too many threads with the same title the response from one or two is 'Oh you are throwing your weight about again are you a God or something? You are picking on new posters.' etc

It is not moderated on there so there is no-one to move threads. One or two posters cannot be reasoned with and respect and courtesy towards other posters does not go well with their 'It's a free country I can do what I like world' Rules (I prefer guidelines) are there for a reason and ever since I got my first PC (Atmos in 1983) I have tried to post correctly. I always remember one of the first articles I saw in a PC mag was about Netequette so I'm used to it now which maybe makes me seem bossy at times.

I've not contribute much to threads that have been removed and the ones that have does not worry me too much. I suppose it is annoying to have something disappear if you spend a lot of time on it but mine are often too long-winded anyway. :D

Yes and the admin have to keep within the law. A lot of the rules were probably suggestions put forward by the governments so there would not be hoardes of complaints and libel cases. If there is a mark that should not be stepped over then it's better for an independant to decide where the middle is. You know some people give them an inch and they'll nick a yard. :P

If rules could not be challenged and lame acceptance was the done thing, you wouldn't have your democracy and your freedom of speech anyway so it's a moot point.

No one ever said that the guidelines were at fault anyway Hop.. what has been expressed by a number of posters seems to have been a few things.

1) Threads seem to dissappear when a good debate was raging and the removal of a few abusive posts would have served the forum better.

2) Often I have had posts deleted/threads removed and have checked over the guidelines- none of which appear to have been broken - no explanation. I know it's been said that it takes too much time to pm, but couldn't it be posted in a sticky thread or something?

Having posts and threads deleted isn't even what's getting to me here. It's the attitude of some people towards other posters, calling them 'whingers' and accusing us of whining. What amounts to a very small amount of power seems to have given a small amount of people a large rush of blood to the head.

If rules could not be challenged and lame acceptance was the done thing, you wouldn't have your democracy and your freedom of speech anyway so it's a moot point.

No one ever said that the guidelines were at fault anyway Hop.. what has been expressed by a number of posters seems to have been a few things.

1) Threads seem to dissappear when a good debate was raging and the removal of a few abusive posts would have served the forum better.

2) Often I have had posts deleted/threads removed and have checked over the guidelines- none of which appear to have been broken - no explanation. I know it's been said that it takes too much time to pm, but couldn't it be posted in a sticky thread or something?

Having posts and threads deleted isn't even what's getting to me here. It's the attitude of some people towards other posters, calling them 'whingers' and accusing us of whining. What amounts to a very small amount of power seems to have given a small amount of people a large rush of blood to the head.

Yeah cuz Cobbos like that isnt he James? ;)

The collective = The Borg.

The thing is if you just remove the idiotic posts and leave the sensible ones we won't know what the discussion is about and why normal everyday people have suddenly gone all intellectual. It'll be like being a room full of philosophers and historians. :D

I see what you mean though (TPH) The ones who give more thought to what they post seem to be punished as well when the aim of the guidelines is to get the majority (you will never get ALL) of posters thinking before they post. An example of how not to post and the various accepted levels could be put in a Sticky.

:D

It's not unusual for threads to be 'disappeared', taken off to a re-eduction centre for their own good and for the good of us all by the admins.

I think it would be a good idea to have a sticky thread where the admins can detail which threads have been removed and try to explain the reason behind their removal. This would also give the affected parties a chance to protest the decision.

Regardless of who owns the bandwidth, deleting threads is tantamount to intellectual theft, and should not be done lightly. At the very least, I feel we are owed an explanation as to why such heavy-handed treatment was deemed necessary when threads are deleted outright.

agree this should be done

Archived