Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Betting Thread

On 8/26/2017 at 15:01, Walkers said:

Juventus

Besiktas

Corinthians

Sporting Lisbon

Feyenoord

Real Madrid

AC Milan

5/1

Haladas of Hungary are 2/1 to beat Puskas Akademia who are newly promoted and bottom of the league. Haladas finished safe mid table last season

Haladas lost 1-5 lol 

Massively arrogant when it comes to gambling as see it as a semi profession so rarely read this thread but amazed how many people bet on football and in particular teams they've never seen play. 

Honest question does anyone think they've turned a profit on football and if so how much and what method did you use. 

3 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Massively arrogant when it comes to gambling as see it as a semi profession so rarely read this thread but amazed how many people bet on football and in particular teams they've never seen play. 

Honest question does anyone think they've turned a profit on football and if so how much and what method did you use. 

Over the years no but the last year i've found a method to keep me ticking along. Looking on my betfair account i've lost nearly 1k in about 5 years, but the last year next to nothing I would guess. Personally I think this sounds stupid but I don't do this for the money. Perhaps better worded, i'm not obsessed with spending silly amounts and putting myself in financial difficulty.

I spend £8 on Saturdays, £4 Sundays, and £1 on each weekday. If i've been on a good run and there's plenty of good football on on a weekday (English domestic or European competition) i'll sometimes spend odd change in my account so that my balance is always a round number. £5 on the Saturday is an accy of major teams worldwide (Madrid, Juve, Bayern) and teams that are generally just too good for their division (Olympiakos, Benfica, Red Bull Salzburg). My odds usually only come to about 4-8/1 so I just see that as an opportunity to slowly build profits, not that its ever that simple. The other £3 is split into 3 accies with different intentions. Sometimes it can just be teams that are favourites but i'm not so confident on putting them in my main. The other could be betting on different markets, for example today I did an accy that had 5 teams win or draw, except those teams were playing against the likes of Copenhagen, Fenerbache, Dinamo Zagreb. Teams that should be losing. The other could be along similar lines but outright wins for the underdog. Sunday is similar. My bets in the week are just betting on whats available, i've probably had more joy betting in the week recently with less to choose from. I think sometimes I get a little too excited with all the games that are going on on the weekend lol My week bet odds usually only come up to about 6-10/1 so again i'm not rolling in money. 

I think i've deposited money once in about 10 months, and that was just £20. My rule is if I have £100+ in my account I will withdraw however much meaning I have £50 left to play with. I haven't had the chance to put that to practice, the last few months i've been hovering around £10-30 in my account, with that one deposit I mentioned. I just see it as a bit of fun, because of it I have a lot of knowledge of most European leagues and quite a few internationally like Brazil/Argentina/Egypt. Of course I know this knowledge gets me nowhere in the real world. It's just a hobby. I don't really need to have watched teams like Basel to know they're going to beat most teams in the Swiss League. I do agree with you on that though on people who stick money on a Slovakian sides reserve team for example.

As it happens I won tonight on

Palmeiras 4-2 Sao Paulo

Bahia-Botafogo BTTS (11/10 and came in after 16mins)

Napoli 3-1 Atalanta

Braga 0-1 Porto

Monaco beating Marseille

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

Over the years no but the last year i've found a method to keep me ticking along. Looking on my betfair account i've lost nearly 1k in about 5 years, but the last year next to nothing I would guess. Personally I think this sounds stupid but I don't do this for the money. Perhaps better worded, i'm not obsessed with spending silly amounts and putting myself in financial difficulty.

I spend £8 on Saturdays, £4 Sundays, and £1 on each weekday. If i've been on a good run and there's plenty of good football on on a weekday (English domestic or European competition) i'll sometimes spend odd change in my account so that my balance is always a round number. £5 on the Saturday is an accy of major teams worldwide (Madrid, Juve, Bayern) and teams that are generally just too good for their division (Olympiakos, Benfica, Red Bull Salzburg). My odds usually only come to about 4-8/1 so I just see that as an opportunity to slowly build profits, not that its ever that simple. The other £3 is split into 3 accies with different intentions. Sometimes it can just be teams that are favourites but i'm not so confident on putting them in my main. The other could be betting on different markets, for example today I did an accy that had 5 teams win or draw, except those teams were playing against the likes of Copenhagen, Fenerbache, Dinamo Zagreb. Teams that should be losing. The other could be along similar lines but outright wins for the underdog. Sunday is similar. My bets in the week are just betting on whats available, i've probably had more joy betting in the week recently with less to choose from. I think sometimes I get a little too excited with all the games that are going on on the weekend lol My week bet odds usually only come up to about 6-10/1 so again i'm not rolling in money. 

I think i've deposited money once in about 10 months, and that was just £20. My rule is if I have £100+ in my account I will withdraw however much meaning I have £50 left to play with. I haven't had the chance to put that to practice, the last few months i've been hovering around £10-30 in my account, with that one deposit I mentioned. I just see it as a bit of fun, because of it I have a lot of knowledge of most European leagues and quite a few internationally like Brazil/Argentina/Egypt. Of course I know this knowledge gets me nowhere in the real world. It's just a hobby. I don't really need to have watched teams like Basel to know they're going to beat most teams in the Swiss League. I do agree with you on that though on people who stick money on a Slovakian sides reserve team for example.

As it happens I won tonight on

Palmeiras 4-2 Sao Paulo

Bahia-Botafogo BTTS (11/10 and came in after 16mins)

Napoli 3-1 Atalanta

Braga 0-1 Porto

Monaco beating Marseille

Cheers, your down though so no interest. Nothing against you I think football is a rancid sport to bet on. Too many variables. But If 

your doing something you enjoy for £200 that's decent value.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

4 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Cheers, your down though so no interest. Nothing against you I think football is a rancid sport to bet on. Too many variables. But If 

your doing something you enjoy for £200 that's decent value.

Yeah I wouldn't suggest doing what I do lol If its purely a money making intention I imagine you're better off with bigger stakes and hoping for the best. When I first started betting I used to just stick £20 on an accy similar to what I class as my main bet today. Odds usually came to about 10/1, but whereas today I put between 6/10 teams on it for outright wins, I used to put about 20 teams on it with many as double chance win or draw. Things stupidly conservative like Juventus to W/D at home to Genoa. If you manage to win more than 1 in every 10 goes then I guess you're doing alright.

12 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I've only been betting for just over a year, so take it with a pinch of salt. I personally feel that betting on football matches is far too unpredictable for my taste, so have stopped doing that now. Only a small handful of people worldwide can consistently make any significant amount of money from it, and they use complex statistical models to give them the tiniest edge. I think the only real point of betting on matches is for fun (make watching the results come in more exciting), or for emotional insurance (betting on your team's opposition to win).

I do think however that betting on the transfer market can be fairly profitable, as bookies respond relatively slowly to new info, and the odds between different bookies can vary very wildly. For example, last summer, the Mahrez to stay market was still accepting bets @ 4/9 for 30 mins after Vichai announced on his Instagram that he had signed a new contract (it hadn't appeared on the clubs Twitter/OS yet). Other recent good bets I've got on have been Shakey next manager @ 16/1 and Maguire to us @ 33/1 (these prices were only briefly available for a few hours).

This transfer window has a few more days to run before bets are settled, but assuming both Kasper and Vards are still here next week I will be up probably about £5k total in the past year. It does take up far too much of my time though, reading this forum, sometimes other clubs forums, the mercury/telegraph... checking odds on 4 bookies sites, Twitter, and players' (and some of their wives') social media obsessively multiple times a day while the window is open. I do actually really enjoy it but it requires a lot of painstaking attention to detail e.g. things said in players interviews from ages ago, a good memory, and a sound judgement as to which sources are reliable. Wouldn't recommend it if you just want to enjoy some football!

I have an addictive personality though so have to be very careful this doesn't escalate into a full blown addiction, I've read far too many horror stories on addicted punters who believe they can beat the market, try to chase losses and end up losing tens/hundreds of thousands.

Edited by brucey

I much more enjoy betting on horses than i do football. Rare for me to have a football bet now. With horse racing especially when you're there it's an unreal buzz and i don't seem so bothered if I lose compared to when I lose on a football bet. Getting a win on the football these days is hard. It's so unpredictable. You can study and study and still not win. 

8 hours ago, Walkers said:

Yeah I wouldn't suggest doing what I do lol If its purely a money making intention I imagine you're better off with bigger stakes and hoping for the best. When I first started betting I used to just stick £20 on an accy similar to what I class as my main bet today. Odds usually came to about 10/1, but whereas today I put between 6/10 teams on it for outright wins, I used to put about 20 teams on it with many as double chance win or draw. Things stupidly conservative like Juventus to W/D at home to Genoa. If you manage to win more than 1 in every 10 goes then I guess you're doing alright.

i do do big stakes but I need something to be pretty obvious for a half decent price, so not very often. An example would be roger federer  up against David ferrer at the Montreal masters earlier this month, he was a break up in the 

last set and somehow only 1/10, £500 on quick £50 back. That farce of a boxing match Saturday was another very easy win for example.

The bread and butter is winning small amounts often on cards and tennis

ive Just never got football, its very random. The bookies must love it.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Col city fan said:

@Manwell Pablo is right.

Betting on footy is a mugs game. There are so many variables involved that can't be controlled. An over zealous ref, for instance, giving a red card in the first 20 mins.

My mate, the pro gambler, hardly ever bets on football. 

Can never tell if you're having a laugh when you mention he's a pro gambler lol (not the pro gambler part, but the fact you always add that part)

• Like 2

I worked out that I was £100 up last year purely from football and winning decent amounts on transfer markets and Shakey to be our next manager.

Won £160 by putting a tenner on Riyad to stay at 16/1 when Skybet had him at 1/100 to leave. Incredible how stupid they were with that considering it was clear we hadn't received a bid.

£33 on a 6 team accumulator tonight as well, international break can be decent but you need loads of teams in it to get a decent amount.

11 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I worked out that I was £100 up last year purely from football and winning decent amounts on transfer markets and Shakey to be our next manager.

Won £160 by putting a tenner on Riyad to stay at 16/1 when Skybet had him at 1/100 to leave. Incredible how stupid they were with that considering it was clear we hadn't received a bid.

£33 on a 6 team accumulator tonight as well, international break can be decent but you need loads of teams in it to get a decent amount.

When you tweeted about that 16/1 price that's when I looked but by the time I deposited cash he had fallen to 8s, which I got him at. Still ridiculous high odds but I wish I got him at 16/1. They were stupid with that.

Edited by Fox92

7 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Denmark at 8/13 away vs Armenia- they just smashed Poland 4-0 at home.  

They struggled with Armenia both times last time they played them but they've got better since then.

Had an accumulator. Needed england to win by 3 or more goals decided to cash at half time for £60 otherwise it would have been £291.. if portugal had scored one more against the faroe islands it would have been £399. Still in profit after starting with £5.00