Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Guest seanfox778

Don't Say a Word - 6/10

Tense, fast-paced thriller with Michael Douglas, Brittany Murphy and Sean Bean. Pretty enjoyable as long as you don't over think it. Sean Bean is a jewel thief who's been chasing a particular jewel for 10 years. The whereabouts are unknown and the clue to the location of the gem is in Murphy's mental patient character's head. Michael Douglas has his daughter taken (ironically his wife is played by Liam Neeson's character's estranged wife in Taken) and held hostage whilst he must get the code from the mental patient's head, there's a time frame also just to add more pressure.

IMG_1153.JPG

Edited by seanfox778

Watched the Morrisey film England is Mine yesterday. Truly awful. The story of Morrisey before the Smiths...and, er...nothing happens. Painfully slow, not too much dialogue and lots of cutaway scenes to crashing waves and long, lingering camera shots on items inside a 70's suburban Manchester house. 

Oh, and an oddly chirpy 60's soundtrack throughout the film. Avoid

On 21/09/2017 at 08:03, seanfox778 said:

Empire Records - 8/10

I really liked this, nice easy watch that reminds of some good old days. It just focuses on a record shops employees and their trials and tribulations of day to day life. Nothing to take seriously, kind of like a Dazed and Confused style film and Liv Tyler looks amazing in it.

IMG_1151.JPG

19 hours ago, The Bear said:

I loved Empire Records back in the day. Especially the sequence with If You Want Blood by ACDC with the owner playing the drums and them dancing around to it.

Honestly one of my favourite films of all time! (Probably because I grew up watching it - I used to rent it every other week from Hollywood Video in Syston, before I could find the VHS in the shops in town). It was one of the few films I shared and bonded over with one of my best friends at Uni. A few years ago I took her to a screening at the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square which apparently they hold regularly. People came dressed up as the characters (the winner was a woman in jeans and a black rollneck jumper holding a sofa cushion) and quoted along with the film. 

I'm gonna have to watch this today now.

Guest seanfox778

The Manchurian Candidate (2004) - 6/10 

Interesting concept about a group of army troops who get brainwashed into believing an incident went down a certain way although none of the soldiers can actually remember the incident at all. The soldier who supposedly was the hero and saved the day is now running for Vice President of the United States. Another one of the soldiers is now starting to have doubts about what occurred, years later and suspects something sinister is afoot and he begins to look into matters a little closer. I’ve heard the original film is better, this one is ok but feels it’s lacking something. It’s not as good as, say Jacob's Ladder which was more shocking and disturbing. 

B97D7908-6ABD-4272-8FE1-B7F90D41D424.jpeg

Guest seanfox778

The Siege - 7/10

Even though it was made 20 years ago this could easily be a scenario today. The film starts when a supposed instigator of a bombing of American soldiers out on the Middle East, is apparently intercepted. Next thing you know, random terrorist attacks are happening in New York City. Denzel Washington plays an FBI counter terrorist agent and along with the help of Annette Benning (who’s job is somewhat of an enigma) they try and stop what’s happening before a state of martial law is put into place by the U.S. Army. It was pretty enjoyable, lots of things going on. Annette Benning’s character bugged me a lot though.

C2C5BD9A-22A4-4D84-9C0A-F9FAD3D8A4DF.jpeg

Edited by seanfox778

Guest seanfox778

Star Wars: The Force Awakens 8/10

It’s the first time I watched it since the cinema and it’s basically a rehashed version of A New Hope, I liked how they made a Stormtrooper an actual person instead of a robot (metaphorically) and I thought Kylo Ren was a really cool villain up until he took the mask off. That was the biggest let down for me, he was just a spoilt teenager throwing tantrums because things weren’t going his way. I scored it so high because it felt like a Star Wars film again, I didn’t mind the prequels but they just didn’t have the same warmth of the original trilogy.

DDB4D86F-D823-47D0-83FD-96FF15C168BA.jpeg

Edited by seanfox778

Guest seanfox778

Ouija: Origin of Evil 8/10

Sequel to the terrible film called Ouija, this one is actually good and it’s set in the 60’s. A widowed woman and her two daughters have a seance scam going on to make money to pay the bills. The mother buys a Ouija board as a new gimmick, the youngest daughter makes contact with something not nice and it terrorises them. It seems like a common ‘seen it all before’ storyline but there was at least a couple of times when I was touching cloth, they got the look of the possessed little girl just right and the scares were effectively used. They made a nice touch by making the picture a bit grainy with cigarette spots. Good horrors are few and far between these days. The priest was played by Elliott from E.T. Which blew my mind, didn’t even know he was still acting.

A6C2F990-674D-40D4-8A63-79CBF70DE576.jpeg

Edited by seanfox778

Just been to the new Kingsman film. Had good parts but nowhere near as good as the first. Julianne Moore is awful as the villain and any film that has a cameo from someone like Elton John is already ruined. They also spoilt it by having Colin Firth in all the promotional material. Oh great, now we know he didn't die in the last film, thanks.

Not seen the new Kingsman but it seems as though it's the industry that's forced a second rather the producers. Cinema has almost always been about making money but it feels ridiculous now with Disney/Marvel churning out money spinners unnecessarily then there's all of the reboots and sequels as well.

Guest seanfox778
11 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Saw Mother! The other night, anyone else seen it? So ****ed up with very mixed reviews, I thought it was good though. 

I want to see it when I get back from work next weekend, should still be out then. I'm a big fan of Darren Aronofsky. 

50 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Not seen the new Kingsman but it seems as though it's the industry that's forced a second rather the producers. Cinema has almost always been about making money but it feels ridiculous now with Disney/Marvel churning out money spinners unnecessarily then there's all of the reboots and sequels as well.

I'm guessing the first Kingsman did pretty well in the States and this felt like it had been made to get more American interest. The way it ended indicated there could be more, but I don't think there should be.

• Like 1

Guest seanfox778
1 hour ago, Wookie said:

I know what you mean, why can't a good film just be left as a good film without having a substandard sequel made just to make money. Taken is a good example too. It feels like films are just being made based on their marketability rather than storyline.