Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

9 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Anyone watched this Shape of Water effort?  Looks bizarre but Pans Labyrinth was pretty decent.

I've still to watch Get Out, but I've heard that's very, very good.

Those are both on top of my 'to see' list.

I'm always after the fact with the Oscar nominated movies.

16 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

If it wasn't a "social commentary" film portraying racism I'm not sure it would have got the buzz it did. Personally I found it a run of the mill film, nothing exceptional.

16 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Anyone watched this Shape of Water effort?  Looks bizarre but Pans Labyrinth was pretty decent.

Both really good films Get Out is great one of my favourite films of last year.

I would say Shape of Water & Get Out were both better than average films but not exceptional. Shape of Water isn't even GDT's best film imo. Same goes for Three Billboards although that was probably my favourite of the three.

Seem to have missed Phantom Thread at my local cinemas which I'm a bit gutted about as Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my favourite directors and There Will be Blood one of my favourite films - anyone seen this one?

Get Out was a poor mans Skeleton Key - Same basic premise so i saw what was happening a mile away, kept telling myself "surely they wouldn't rip off the idea so bad" waiting for a different twist. It never came and I thought it was shit myself!

On 06/03/2018 at 17:35, Samilktray said:

Get Out was great. Seems to be fashionable now to say it wasnt that good

It was okay, it was very 2017.

Oscar nominations were a bit over the top but so are people claiming its now rubbish just because it got Oscar nominations they don't think it deserved. 

It's funny you point out it's now fashionable to put it down (and you're not wrong, I don't disagree) but overlook the fact it was fashionable to hype it in the first place. 

That's what I mean by very 2017, it was lauded as a masterpiece by typically white, medical class, Liberal hipster journalists because it was cool, black and about racism. 

It's a solid film, an 8ish I guess? But the praise was always over the top to begin with because of the people that wanted to be seen to praise it. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It was okay, it was very 2017.

Oscar nominations were a bit over the top but so are people claiming its now rubbish just because it got Oscar nominations they don't think it deserved. 

It's funny you point out it's now fashionable to put it down (and you're not wrong, I don't disagree) but overlook the fact it was fashionable to hype it in the first place. 

That's what I mean by very 2017, it was lauded as a masterpiece by typically white, medical class, Liberal hipster journalists because it was cool, black and about racism. 

It's a solid film, an 8ish I guess? But the praise was always over the top to begin with because of the people that wanted to be seen to praise it. 

All fair points finners

• Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 22:53, Webbo said:

I Tonya. Not a bad film but nothing special 6/10

On 3/3/2018 at 22:59, Strokes said:

Yeah we just watched it, it was alright.

I quite enjoyed it today. Thought her Mum was good and Shawn the bodyguard made me chuckle. 

24 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I quite enjoyed it today. Thought her Mum was good and Shawn the bodyguard made me chuckle. 

Yeah the acting was good quality and generally it was quite funny, the thing that annoyed me more than anything (and it always does) is when she talked to the camera mid scene. It really spoils it.

• Like 1

Looks half decent but I am undecided about whether to watch it.  Eddie Redmayne's interpretation of Newt being a doe eyed absent gap mouthed dreamer really irritated the hell out of me.

Edited by The Blur