Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

21 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Joker. 

Phenomenal. 

Don't give too much away, but is it truly as good as the audience scores indicate? Critics seem to dislike it greatly, which is a good indicator to me that the movie is actually worthwile.

Supposed to be a study on mental illness and isolation and how we as a society treat loners.

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Don't give too much away, but is it truly as good as the audience scores indicate? Critics seem to dislike it greatly, which is a good indicator to me that the movie is actually worthwile.

Supposed to be a study on mental illness and isolation and how we as a society treat loners.

It’s very, very good. 

It’s not a superhero/supervillain action flick, it’s a pure character study on Arthur Fleck’s descent into becoming Joker. It reflects on how society (mainly the callous Gotham system) treats people like him and what the consequences of that could be. 

Ignore the critics who seem to want to smear it with whatever they can - ironically they’re sort of making the films point. 

• Like 1

Critics not liking Joker is a great example of why I ignore critics. Most of them just want to disagree with everyone else in the hope it sets them apart somehow, in an attempt to justify their bullshit, elitist, condescending and patronising profession. 

Except Mark Kermode, and Barry Norman, who are alright. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Critics not liking Joker is a great example of why I ignore critics. Most of them just want to disagree with everyone else in the hope it sets them apart somehow, in an attempt to justify their bullshit, elitist, condescending and patronising profession. 

The latter is somewhat deceased...

2 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The latter is somewhat deceased...

Yeah, but then I’d have needed to throw an “are/were” in there and I couldn’t be arsed. 

11 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Critics I’ve always wondered what makes their opinions more worthy than anybody else’s? Whether it’s food, films or anything else it’s down to the individual to make his  or her own mind up, not some preposterous buffoon who thinks their mind can see deeper into a movie than than the rest of us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

**NO SPOILERS**

Went Odeon tonight to see Joker

Pretty flipping awesome. I don’t buy into hype and I’ve avoided reading anything about it but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Granted, my opinion isn’t worth shit, but this is is going to win some awards. Joaquin was spot on. 

15 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Pretty much spot on. 

Definitely not an action packed movie but that alone doesn’t do it justice. 

I’m wary of over-hyping it so I’ll stop now. I’ll just say, it’s very watchable (I think!!!) 

I watched the Joker on Saturday night and thought it was the best film of the year by some distance! JP was brilliant as the Arthur Fleck and by the end the Laugh he developed was haunting, my only gripe was it was a little slow for the first hour but i understand they have to build the story up.

Unpopular opinion i don't think he will win an Oscar but i hope he's recognised, his best acting was in the final act where the whole story came together nicely and well directed by Todd Phillips.

8.5/10 for me, i'll probably go and watch it again just to enjoy it once more :) 

Disappointed by The Day Shall Come. I'm a huge Chris Morris fan so maybe I had too high expectations to begin with but it felt too slapstick to be satirical. I suppose he'd argue that the ridiculousness is meant to reflect upon the FBI but it felt like it could have been directed by somebody else because it makes Four Lions  look like a documentary in comparison. Maybe it's the setting which takes away some of the edge and that the audience is more global this time but Four Lions whilst absurd never reaches too far but TDSC does. It's still worth watching because there's a fair few laugh out loud moments but it had the potential to be much better,

• Like 1

Joker is fantastic. Glued to it throughout. Hadn’t read any reviews or anything. Expected more action tbh but not disappointed there wasn’t as much as I thought. Last 40 minutes were just brilliant cinema. 

Jaquon was very good but on my drive home me and the wife were saying imagine Heath playing his version of the joker in that film

• Like 1

Enjoyed El Camino, wouldn’t say it’s the best of Breaking Bad but it doesn’t need to be to still be great.

Really sad that one of the main characters in it died on release day (the hoover man).

• Sad 1

On 06/10/2019 at 07:04, somebum said:

How about actors that you just can't stomach so you totally avoid anything with them in it? 

For me, the obvious ones really, anything with the Rock in it, you know it's going to be sh!t, Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, Nicolas Cage, Kevin Hart, anything with ET in it

In a strange way, I think Adam Sandler could be a top actor but he keeps playing it safe. I'm not sure what it is but I think he could easily step up to some more serious roles.

I'm not sure what's going on with me but I thought Judy, Joker and El Camino were all slightly let downs. Maybe I just let the hype get to me but I found them all a bit too drawn out. If they were all 15-30 mins shorter they would've been classics.

42 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

In a strange way, I think Adam Sandler could be a top actor but he keeps playing it safe. I'm not sure what it is but I think he could easily step up to some more serious roles.

Funny enough, the day I wrote this I watched a movie called Reign on Me .. Don Cheadle, Adam Sandler. One of his more serious roles. I quite liked it. He lost his family on 9/11. Cheadle is superb as always.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Bear said:

Reign On Me was good yeah. 

Sandlers best role by far though is Punch Drunk Love. He was incredible in that. 

He'll never top Happy Gilmore lol

Watched The Landromat, it was a half decent 6/10 watch.

What made me fvcking laugh the most was the preachy Meryll Streep bit at the end, as if the film making industry are completely clean and dont exploit tax schemes or benefit from tax breaks, etc...

• Like 1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8535180/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_9

Kill Chain with Nicolas Cage. BORING ! Looked good, started watching and fell sleep. 3/10

Not even sure why i watched it as the only movie i liked him in was the one where he turns into a devil on a motorbike and that was made years ago.

Edited by Suzie the Fox

Watched Joker on Monday, was great. 

I know everyone slags off that adverts and trailers take up 30 mins before the film starts, but every trailer pretty much gave away the whole film. Seems to happen a lot now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Watched Joker on Monday, was great. 

I know everyone slags off that adverts and trailers take up 30 mins before the film starts, but every trailer pretty much gave away the whole film. Seems to happen a lot now. 

Yeah know what you mean.

Comedies used to be the worst for showing all the funniest bits in the trailer but I think thats been overtaken by the plots of horror movies being given away.

After seeing the trailer for Greta, I honesty dont know what the point of watching it would be as it gives away 2 or 3 twists and the aftermath of those twists. Shame as it looks like it couls have been a decent film.

• Like 1