Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

'' Hang yourself ''

A schoolboy whose uncle commited suicide ran home in tears after a teacher allegedly told him '' If you want to hang yourself, i'll provide the rope ''.

Phil (the schoolboy) had forgotten to wear his school tie - but speaking to his form tutor about it, a row broke out.

Phil said '' We were arguing and she told me that I shouldn't be at the school. She said to me 'If you want to hang yourself, i'll provide the rope'.''

School's have gone mad!

I'm sure there's more context but it does illustrates the doubtful attractions of teaching for a living.

Doubtless the uncle had problems/reasons for his suicide but if the kid is so upset wouldn't his family not consider that the uncle might have something to answer for, far more than the teacher.

The teacher might have been tactless in using what was, after all, a figure of speech but this sounds typical of our time. Whatever happens it is always someone else's fault.

If parents aren't happy with a kids education and treatment they can always do what we did and take their kid out of school and educate them "otherwise".

The great benefit of doing that is they'd soon appreciate the problems faced by teachers. And, there'd be little chance of indiscrete remarks in teaching you own kids.

Overall I never found kids a problem when I taught in schools. But I don't think I'd want to put up with with today's whinging parents wearing all their endless campaign badges.

A schoolboy whose uncle commited suicide ran home in tears after a teacher allegedly told him '' If you want to hang yourself, i'll provide the rope ''.

Phil (the schoolboy) had forgotten to wear his school tie - but speaking to his form tutor about it, a row broke out.

Phil said '' We were arguing and she told me that I shouldn't be at the school. She said to me 'If you want to hang yourself, i'll provide the rope'.''

School's have gone mad!

Teachers fight back??!

I must admit we were cruel barstewards with one particular school teacher who served in WW2. To our amusement he used to get flashbacks and hated loud noises and used to go into a panic. One day this teacher hid in a cupboard when the fire alarm went off. Once we caught win of the dopey sod my class once created "bombs" from paper and started throwing them towards him and I kid you not, with the help of sound effects he hid in the cupboard again!

BTW, with all these mouthy little shites about I would hate to be a teacher because i`ll either get arrested for beating one of the runts or probably their fathers!

AN over-reaction IMO, I agree with Dan, the teacher is not a mind reader and did not know the child's background. Plus we have to take the manner in which the statement was said, which probably was with sarcasm!!!

If all parties used abit of common sense, it would never had got so far!!!

School's have gone mad!

http://www.whitehaven-news.co.uk/news/view....aspx?id=461426

Is his mother a famous athlete? :ph34r:

I hope she didn't have to cut short her training, she looks like she's just come from the track :whistle:

Some great quotes in that article!

I particularly like:

"I tried to ring my mam and tell her what was happening but then they confiscated my phone" LMFAO

if my teacher ever said that to be i would flip.

tell them to fcuk off, lamp them 1 in the face. then complain

I find for gobby little shoite's a good kidney punch does wonders!

Shut's em up anyway.........................

.................................and he won't forget his tie again ;)

Did this happen?

Discussion with form tutor.

Tutor: Jimmy, You are not wearing your tie today, would you like to tell me why?'

Jimmy: 'Sorry miss, I found out last night that my uncle Bob has died and it upset me so much that I forgot to put my tie in my school bag today.'

Tutor 'I'm sorry to hear that Jimmy, You're excused from wearing a tie today and if you need to talk to anybody I am here.'

Jimmy: Thank you miss, I'll be OK, just need a little time to get over the shock.'

No, No way, more like:

'Jimmy, You are not wearing a tie today, would you like to tell me why?'

'Err (mumble) forgot'

'That is not good enough, you need to take pride in your uniform'

'yeah (mumble) whatever you bitch'

'What was that? I could report you for that'

'(mumble) do what you fecking want bitch see if I fecking care'

'Jimmy, I think you should go home now and think about what you have said'

(Shouting) 'Oh gerat a half-day from school'

At home

'Mummy the teacher was really nasty to me today just because I forgot my tie, I only forgot it because of what happened to Uncle Bob.'

'Oh you poor baby (wets hankercheif while Jimmy smirks) don't cry I'll be up the school first thing in the morning even if it means taking a day off work (wipes Jimmy's eyes with hankercheif)

Later that night.

Dad: 'I'm not going to let them get away with this Kate, I'll go to the newspapers if I have to and get that evil teacher out of her job/

The rest is history until a member of a football messageboards picks up on the story featured in a Daily paper and posts it for all concerned parents and school kids to see.

If you like take a little bit from the Express and a little bit from my version mix them up and you may get somewhere close to the truth. <_< :D

if my teacher ever said that to be i would flip.

tell them to fcuk off, lamp them 1 in the face. then complain

Mate...if your teacher ever said something like that you would be spending the first five minutes wondering why he/she was looking at you because you'd been looking out the window at the time.

Then, after you had said "What?" and they had repeated it slowly (enunciating every syllable in a laboured fashion) you would spend the next ten minutes cogitating the meaning.

Five buses, three tumbleweeds and a national rail strike later and the penny would drop...and then you'd look up to see the teacher looking at you with a forlorn expression displaying their hope that you manage to find a job without sharp objects or water.

The actual article originally appeared in the the Whitehaven News a local rag up in Cumbria and it appears the teacher told him off for persistently not wearing his tie and this is where the quip from the teacher came. It appears that the pupil and his mum overreacted to the situation but to be fair the whole issue could have been better dealt with by both the School and the lads parents.

The full article is as follows.

Boy upset after teacher’s remark about hanging

Published on 01/02/2007

Sent Home: Phil with his mum Antoinette Brown By Karl Connor

A SCHOOLBOY whose uncle committed suicide went home in tears after a teacher allegedly told him “If you want to hang yourself, I’ll provide the ropeâ€Â.

Phil Flavell, 14, had gone into Whitehaven School on Monday minus his school tie.

He told his form tutor, Mrs Collicott, that he had forgotten it and a row broke out.

Phil said: “We were arguing and she told me that I shouldn’t be at the school.

“She said to me, ‘if you want to hang yourself, then I’ll provide the rope’.â€Â

But a county council spokesman said the teacher’s remark may have been misinterpreted. He said she was disciplining the pupil for repeatedly refusing to wear a tie and, when explaining why continually disciplining him was for his own good, she said ‘the more rope you’re given, the more you’ve got to hang yourself’.

Phil said: “I couldn’t believe it, it made me so upset. I’m not soft, not at all – my favourite pastime is rugby, which I play for the school.

“But I couldn’t help but start to get upset when she said that to me, as my Uncle Craig hanged himself a couple of years ago and we were very close – I still keep a picture of him on my mobile phone.

“I tried to ring my mam and tell her what was happening but then they confiscated my phone.â€Â

Phil’s mum, Antoinette Brown, said: “I went up to the school, I was furious, but the teacher wouldn’t see me, and they wouldn’t tell me what was going on.

“They kept me waiting in a room for nearly an hour and then the head came to see me and told me that he would get back to me. That was on Monday and I’m still waiting.â€Â

Phil added: “If you are missing part of your uniform then you can get into trouble at each lesson you go to, but if you get a pass then you only get punished once.

“I asked her if I could go and get a pass and she started having a go at me, then she told me to hang myself. I was gutted.

“Mam has kept me off school since and I really want to go back – I miss playing rugby and hanging around with my pals.

Phil, from Mirehouse, still struggles to come to terms with the loss of his uncle, Craig Cleaver.

Mr Cleaver, who himself was a former pupil at Whitehaven School, was well known to teaching staff at the school, having been a keen artist and rugby player.

Mrs Brown added: “I think it is appalling, the school should have made the connection. They knew his Uncle Craig well – there are still lots of teachers at the school who were there then.

“Not that anyone should say something like this to a kid anyway, whatever their family history.â€Â

Gareth Cosslett, spokesman for the county council, said : “The head teacher of Whitehaven School is investigating the matter.

“He has spoken to the mother, the teacher concerned and also the pupil’s head of year. At this early stage it looks like the teacher’s remarks may have been misinterpreted. The teacher was disciplining the pupil for repeatedly refusing to wear a tie and, when explaining why continually disciplining him was for his own good, she said ‘the more rope you’re given, the more you’ve got to hang yourself’. It’s a well-known phrase used to explain why the teacher was using firm discipline to keep the child in line.

“The teacher concerned was completely unaware of any family history of suicide.â€Â

Mate...if your teacher ever said something like that you would be spending the first five minutes wondering why he/she was looking at you because you'd been looking out the window at the time.

Then, after you had said "What?" and they had repeated it slowly (enunciating every syllable in a laboured fashion) you would spend the next ten minutes cogitating the meaning.

Five buses, three tumbleweeds and a national rail strike later and the penny would drop...and then you'd look up to see the teacher looking at you with a forlorn expression displaying their hope that you manage to find a job without sharp objects or water.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

Archived