Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Looks like they are doing all they can off field to improve things. 

Couple of additions and i think we could also continue to improve on the field. 

Some improvements last year i felt. 

Been having a think on how our squad looks compared to this time last year (bearing in mind who we didn't see due to Covid). Do we look stronger on paper?

Malan v Mulder & Naveen

Cosgrove v Steele & Patel

Horton v Welch

Taylor v Barnes

I think in terms of overseas players, Malan was an opener rather than an all rounder but both he and Mulder looked very exciting. Naveen obviously adds another bowling option for the Blast where I don't remember us having anyone else announced last year.

Welch will fill that opening slot and has vastly less experience than Horton who I'd have guessed was the next cab off the rank to open after Azad and Malan if 2020 had been a normal season. He looks OK though. Evans is full time too so may come into contention.

Two young batsmen have come in to replace Cosgrove. Steele looks the more promising in his career to date and will hopefully add some hitting to the top order in the Blast. Patel seems unproven but could be an improvement on Dearden or Rhodes.

Barnes on paper seems a downgrade on Taylor but I don't think we saw too much of the latter's full ability anyhow.

Edited by CrawlingFox
23 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

Barnes on paper seems a downgrade on Taylor but I don't think we saw too much of the latter's full ability anyhow.

Might get on the pitch a bit more and less time on the treatment table though. 

• Like 2
On 23/02/2021 at 23:08, Cake said:

Not a fan of the 100 but a necessary evil i fear, we are quite reliant on ECB money lets be honest. 

I wont go. Looking forward to a summer of Leicestershire!!!

I reckon in Birmingham, Manchester, London it will do well. 

May be not in wales but even tests dont sell there.

After this last year people will want to get out. 

I dont think its aimed at us tbh. 

Glad its free to air some of the time also. May inspire a few kids. They may come down to County then. I mean we are virtually non existent on tv. May be two games a year. 

Wasnt a necessary evil. 

The only thing was necessary was to open normal county twent20 cricket to terrestrial TV. That would have had the same, if not better, galvanising effect on rebuilding cricket's popularity 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Wasnt a necessary evil. 

The only thing was necessary was to open normal county twent20 cricket to terrestrial TV. That would have had the same, if not better, galvanising effect on rebuilding cricket's popularity 

I know what your saying and maybe that would be another option. However if the ECB tell us to play on the moon we are going to have to do it. 

Doesnt really bother me. I wont go but i dont think its all bad. 

Hopefully we can have a decent year financially and wont have to be so reliant on ECB funding. 

On 28/02/2021 at 16:26, Paninistickers said:

Wasnt a necessary evil. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again but there was no logical thought process behind the launch of The Hundred.

- You want more families to see cricket, but you're making it more difficult for most of them to actually get to the games.

- You want to make cricket easier to understand, but you've made it more complicated by inventing a completely new format which bears no relation to the other three that already exist. Can people really be arsed to learn about three other sets of rules on the off-chance they do get into this?

- You want to make it accessible on TV, but the commentators are going to be unable to sound authoritative on the sport because they've never seen a game of The Hundred before.

- You want to make it more appealing by making it sound shorter, but then go and give it a name like The Hundred. 100 of something sounds to the average punter like it'll take longer than 20 of something! (I actually tested that theory on a work colleague who isn't into cricket and I was right).

- You want to replicate the success of the IPL but just try to rip off its franchise model instead of looking at what would work for sports fans in this country. Giving eight centralised teams arbitrary names isn't going to work here, where sport thrives off local rivalry and not gimmickry. In Australia they recognised this hence creating two teams each in Melbourne and Sydney to give new fans something relatable akin to the Aussie Rules/Rugby League rivalries in those cities.

- Most importantly, you've tried to do all this while making literally zero attempt to get existing cricket fans on board, and in fact have actively shunned them. T20 has worked for the past two decades because it encouraged cricket fans to help get mates into the sport - and it certainly worked in my case. Here you're being viewed as a dinosaur who thinks there should still be Gentlemen and Players unless you completely agree with the way the ECB has set this up.

I could go on but suspect you're all bored now... lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again but there was no logical thought process behind the launch of The Hundred.

- You want more families to see cricket, but you're making it more difficult for most of them to actually get to the games.

- You want to make cricket easier to understand, but you've made it more complicated by inventing a completely new format which bears no relation to the other three that already exist. Can people really be arsed to learn about three other sets of rules on the off-chance they do get into this?

- You want to make it accessible on TV, but the commentators are going to be unable to sound authoritative on the sport because they've never seen a game of The Hundred before.

- You want to make it more appealing by making it sound shorter, but then go and give it a name like The Hundred. 100 of something sounds to the average punter like it'll take longer than 20 of something! (I actually tested that theory on a work colleague who isn't into cricket and I was right).

- You want to replicate the success of the IPL but just try to rip off its franchise model instead of looking at what would work for sports fans in this country. Giving eight centralised teams arbitrary names isn't going to work here, where sport thrives off local rivalry and not gimmickry. In Australia they recognised this hence creating two teams each in Melbourne and Sydney to give new fans something relatable akin to the Aussie Rules/Rugby League rivalries in those cities.

- Most importantly, you've tried to do all this while making literally zero attempt to get existing cricket fans on board, and in fact have actively shunned them. T20 has worked for the past two decades because it encouraged cricket fans to help get mates into the sport - and it certainly worked in my case. Here you're being viewed as a dinosaur who thinks there should still be Gentlemen and Players unless you completely agree with the way the ECB has set this up.

I could go on but suspect you're all bored now... lol

Totally agree. The ECB seems in thrall to london marketing agencies to attract 'families'. They cannot and will not 'keep it simple stupid' 

County Cricket  particularly with twenty20, in the UK works best at a smaller but rowdier Arundel, taunton, chelmsford, even grace road. Marquees. Beer tents. Only pyrotechnics needed are bbq grills

Make summer sundays an absolute day for twenty20....plus evening games sprinkled around it. But summer sundays with picnics and kids on the outfield should be an english traditional ....kids on outfield is more fun for them  than blasting calypso music for a four 

Show twenty20 SECOND innings run chase only on TV. Start coverage, highlights if first innings, then live action. That's, what, 90 mins or so. Casual Punters are only interested for the business end of the game. 

We've given better recommendations vollbalu than an agency who's prob charging 200k

• Like 2

The main issue with the blast was that the biggest names weren't interested or were never available, and the suits don't like that the fact there is a lot of pissed up people singing football songs at most games. They are planning on the hundred being more family friendly. They ain't bothered about rivalries or anything, and hope people who do won't bother attending. 

I'd rather the T20 blast been developed but everyone inside cricket seems to think there are too many teams for that. 

I'm not going to lie, I had tickets for the hundred last year, undecided as to whether I'll them again but it makes no difference to me having to travel to Old Trafford from Blackpool for a game. 

39 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

The main issue with the blast was that the biggest names weren't interested or were never available, and the suits don't like that the fact there is a lot of pissed up people singing football songs at most games. They are planning on the hundred being more family friendly. They ain't bothered about rivalries or anything, and hope people who do won't bother attending. 

I'd rather the T20 blast been developed but everyone inside cricket seems to think there are too many teams for that. 

I'm not going to lie, I had tickets for the hundred last year, undecided as to whether I'll them again but it makes no difference to me having to travel to Old Trafford from Blackpool for a game. 

It's far more the former than the latter. Some of the biggest names in world cricket have still been playing T20 for county sides in recent years, but England players are rarely made available for their counties.

As for pissed-up singing at most games, that's miles wide of the mark in my experience - though I accept it does go on. Of course if you schedule games on a Friday night you're going to get more lads out for a laugh attending, but equally games are scheduled on Sunday afternoons which are more family-friendly. It's just another argument the ECB have made about The Hundred and how it will differ from T20 which has no grounding in fact.

To be honest I'm getting a bit sick of the snobbish attitude from some higher up in the sport/media about lads in their 20s and 30s who go to the cricket for a day out and a laugh - or "Beer Snake Twitter" as I saw them referred to dismissively the other week. Cricket can ill-afford to pick what kind of people turn up to and spend money at its games, and long-term these are guys who will one day have children of their own and want to take them for the more family-friendly experience the ECB so seem to prioritise above all else.

Look at the guys who follow Leicestershire home and away in the T20s. They like to make a racket but they're there at every game. A made-up franchise with a generic name will never inspire that kind of loyalty.

• Like 2

Just the word "franchise" is enough to put me off. Not to mention that all the kits, logos and sponsors have been dished out under the same roof. There's no identity other than different kinds of crisps on the shirt.

In fact, they should just call them that. Pom Bears v Hula Hoops is far more interesting.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Just the word "franchise" is enough to put me off. Not to mention that all the kits, logos and sponsors have been dished out under the same roof. There's no identity other than different kinds of crisps on the shirt.

In fact, they should just call them that. Pom Bears v Hula Hoops is far more interesting.

And how exactly are the new fans of these teams (if they exist) going to take it when thir new favourite players, whose names they're just learning, get auctioned off to a different side the next year?

It's just nonsense. And the Big Bash is getting plenty of flack these days for doing just that, as well as the fixture schedule getting overly long. The IPL works in India because Indians are mad for absolutely any cricket - and I love them for that passion - but elsewhere you need to have a different hook other than this fanciful "if you build it, they will come" philosophy.

T20 was the necessary evil if anything- it brought crowds into grounds that hadn't seen it for years. Grace Road was packed (and vitally, the first four years were successful which kept people interested) which it wasn't for Championship and National League games.

But most importantly, it was the same sport. The same rules.and regulations. It was just a shorter version of the game.

What actually is the Hundred? Made up teams. A version of the game that has never been played. No doubt other crap gimmicks along the way. Can't wait.

County cricket may be derided and ignored but it has tradition and history and a loyal following. This will never have it, however hard they try.

• Like 3

I've said my piece here before regards the 100. 

The actual product they should be advertising is already there but the competition format needs slightly tweaking. Less games would actually mean more chances for the England players to play, more international stars will to come over for four weeks rather nine or ten and a better TV deal to make up for the counties loss in a number of fixtures. You could argue the product of cricket is better if the quality of players are at the same level but that's a different debate (you only have to look at the likes of Gayle taking the pish in these money cashing T20 comps he does in UAE etc).

English cricket is held together by it's 18 counties team system which encourage rivalry which has delivered RECORD crowds to every county ground in the country with T20. The comparison to Australia and India is incomparable:-

- Aussie's State system gave them the perfect eight team system (and let's be honest here, they are not getting the international superstars they hope after the first two years)

- India's franchise system is a symptom of their ridiculously complex/large first class system and that the TV has already been the king in India. 

- A better comparison of IPL is the English Premier League or NBA - it is the number one sport for that country and has the ability to attract the players to play in the number 1 sporting competition of that country. 

• Like 2

Starting something from scratch when you've got an established competitor is tough, too. Professional teams have sustained themselves for well over a century through generations of new fans and having an identity. Who is going to travel miles to watch these teams? They are playing at current cricket grounds plastered with pictures and memories of county teams.

I think it will start well as a new thing but further down the line it'll struggle to stay as big news. Cricket is not the dominant sport and I doubt many long time county fans will be interested. You are relying on new fans, really, which is a big unknown.

• Like 2

Given our conversation here, it got me thinking of my first game at Grace Road. It was Warwickshire in a Sunday 50 over match. They either had Lara, Pollock or Donald against our bunch. Went down to the final over with Mullally or Ormond hitting the winning runs. Plucky Leics seeing off the big spenders. 

Point is the format didn’t mean **** all. The hook was the players and at the time a bit of rivalry (if I remember rightly there was even fisticuffs in the stands). Benefit of Grace Road is it’s not overly enclosed so until about the final ten overs, we were just fcuking about. Throw in the test cricket on Channel 4 which led to us creating the centre level of Aikman Avenue hill into a right spinners paradise. 

The reason Football is king across the world is that it’s the easiest sport to play. If you want to get families involved engaging with a sport, you have to remove the obstacles which stops access for kids to play. Cricket is a sport where you have to buy kit to play and it’s largely non existent at city schools (no nets or decent equipment). My Uncle used to make us a bat from scratch to mess about with. The FTA contract is a good step but packaging it up in some arena event in the same way top flight football distanced itself from the working classes ain’t 

• Like 1

Good discussion.

I hate the Hundred. Nothing wrong with the T20 Blast which could have been developed. And as a fan of 50 over cricket it's quite something to see the regard with which the ECB clearly hold it.

The ECB are just greedy, they see the various other franchise leagues and want a slice of that pie and they want full control of their own shambles cutting the counties out.

As someone above said they'd have nurtured more loyalty for these shallow franchises by naming them after the crisps. I've more affinity with Hula Hoops than the so called Trent Rockets.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

Good discussion.

I hate the Hundred. Nothing wrong with the T20 Blast which could have been developed. And as a fan of 50 over cricket it's quite something to see the regard with which the ECB clearly hold it.

The ECB are just greedy, they see the various other franchise leagues and want a slice of that pie and they want full control of their own shambles cutting the counties out.

As someone above said they'd have nurtured more loyalty for these shallow franchises by naming them after the crisps. I've more affinity with Hula Hoops than the so called Trent Rockets.

Good point there too. We won the 50 over World Cup less than two years ago and yet it's now the fourth format on the Board's priority list, while top is a format that isn'teven played internationally! It's mental!

• Like 1