Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

19 dead. 50 injured. First successful attempt at a terrorist attack on U.K. soul for some time. Thoughts with all those involved and the families. Manchester pulling together and doing all they can to help the victims including offers of lifts home and beds for the night. It's the resilience of the people that mean the terrorists can never win. They can never kill our ideals and values and we will never kill theirs

• Like 1

Had a pretty nice day with my parents and sister up at the Auchentoshan distillery right up until the drive home when I foolishly pointed out how unnecessarily divisive the term 'mansplaining' is to my sister which cued a massive row about the state of feminism today.  I tried calming it from the offset by telling her she should just call herself an egalitarian but that's not good enough... apparently it's still necessary to use gender-specific terms to define our problems (patriarchy) and their solutions (feminism).

It's upsetting because she's a very clever person who is far more successful than I am and she can recite all the inequality statistics but she doesn't seem to understand that her rhetoric in talking about it only serves to fan the flames of division between genders.  Her boyfriend is lovely and neither I nor my dad have ever subjugated her in any way so it's baffling that she finds it acceptable to talk in this way when from the men in her life she must be able to see that men as a collective aren't directly responsible for inequality issues in our society (but rather indirectly a part of the socio-evolutionary process that led to them) and therefore might take offense to the use of male-specific words to describe problems with equality in our society as though we're the root cause even though lots of men are involved in the battle for equality.  It's all a bit disappointing really.

5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Had a pretty nice day with my parents and sister up at the Auchentoshan distillery right up until the drive home when I foolishly pointed out how unnecessarily divisive the term 'mansplaining' is to my sister which cued a massive row about the state of feminism today.  I tried calming it from the offset by telling her she should just call herself an egalitarian but that's not good enough... apparently it's still necessary to use gender-specific terms to define our problems (patriarchy) and their solutions (feminism).

It's upsetting because she's a very clever person who is far more successful than I am and she can recite all the inequality statistics but she doesn't seem to understand that her rhetoric in talking about it only serves to fan the flames of division between genders.  Her boyfriend is lovely and neither I nor my dad have ever subjugated her in any way so it's baffling that she finds it acceptable to talk in this way when from the men in her life she must be able to see that men as a collective aren't directly responsible for inequality issues in our society (but rather indirectly a part of the socio-evolutionary process that led to them) and therefore might take offense to the use of male-specific words to describe problems with equality in our society as though we're the root cause even though lots of men are involved in the battle for equality.  It's all a bit disappointing really.

Small brains. not their fault they don't get it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beliall said:

Hey now, hey now, I'm in enough trouble as it is.  Don't want to be caught laughing at juvenile humour from my lappy in the living room. (lol)

• Like 2

Re video games from other thread. Last Friday I went to a geek game club meeting Starbase at the Phoenix for the first time. They were having a console night. There were a few of the old play stations about and WIs and platform type games.

In the weel I bought a book from a charity shop Palladium. which is a RPG of the D&D type. I thought it was an adventure type game where you turn the book pages to see your next step but after talking to someone at Starbase it seems it is more complex. There is a Gamesmaster who sets out the adventure for the other players and determines what creatures they fight. He says he runs a RPG at the Secular Hall every fortnight. I'm not too bad at writing stories but this would be a challenge. Will have to read through the book and work it out. I have a vague idea of a storyline.

Hero (race not determined) has been communicating with a princess in a faroff land (doesnt matter how) and marriage proposal accepted but FOB says he must prove himself on the journey to his castle. The FOB says there will be a spy but will not be known until arrive and king names one. In between a few hazards. Just got to fill in the gaps.

36 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

30 minutes ago, Beliall said:

25 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Hey now, hey now, I'm in enough trouble as it is.  Don't want to be caught laughing at juvenile humour from my lappy in the living room. (lol)

• Like 3

Well summer must be here, my bedroom feels like a sauna, I swear a bit of warmth and my house heats up so much...I'm seriously thinking of having air con put in.  I have to sleep with a fan on right near me or I cant sleep. 

Edited by purpleronnie

1 hour ago, FLAN said:

After a month in hospital and a further 2 months of intensive IV antibiotics my wife was finally given the all clear this morning  after contracting meningitis. MRI results showed the brain abscess caused has completely dissolved. She went from having a cold to critical in hours and it has been a long journey to here. She has some hearing loss as a result but compared to what could have been we are happy!

Great news FLAN. Happy for you

3 hours ago, FLAN said:

After a month in hospital and a further 2 months of intensive IV antibiotics my wife was finally given the all clear this morning  after contracting meningitis. MRI results showed the brain abscess caused has completely dissolved. She went from having a cold to critical in hours and it has been a long journey to here. She has some hearing loss as a result but compared to what could have been we are happy!

Fantastic news!

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Why oh why oh why did I let Mrs CF drag me down the Kings road to look at some shops ...    couples have divorced for less !!

That should have been the first item in your pre-nup agreement, CF.

Expecting a man to go bloody shopping is spousal abuse.

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Bloody dagger through the heart ...    :(

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss..

1 minute ago, Buce said:

That should have been the first item in your pre-nup agreement, CF.

Expecting a man to go bloody shopping is spousal abuse.

Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss..

Absolutely spot on Bucey !! ...   and fookin Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss indeed !!

Snake !!  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Why oh why oh why did I let Mrs CF drag me down the Kings road to look at some shops ...    couples have divorced for less !!

Bloody dagger through the heart ...    :(

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

he looks taller in real life

• Like 1

The last of the 5 is ready to leave the nest...    that will be 7 in this area ...   these monsters are about 2ft in length and eat sheep as well as lambs.

Having been nearly wiped out they are making a comeback and are highly protected ....   but i feel just a bit of foreboding here ...   cats, chickens, lambs and small dogs may be in for a rough ride ..   :o

P1000301.jpeg

raven1-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bql_tzPcsKQBkyUuy8aItKEaOc8QzOSzmi2XEC4LOS1Gs.jpg

• Like 2

On 2017-5-24 at 18:13, Countryfox said:

Why oh why oh why did I let Mrs CF drag me down the Kings road to look at some shops ... 

Bit off topic but theres a shoe shop on the Kings Road called R Soles... always makes me chuckle when I go past it on the bus.

9 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Sweaty testicles is a problem for me particularly in these very hot conditions .. the ball sack literally sticks to my leg when I wear boxer shorts.

So if the humidity is high I tend to stick to normal Y fronts....still a problem but a bit more manageable  

:revenge:

2 hours ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Sweaty testicles is a problem for me particularly in these very hot conditions .. the ball sack literally sticks to my leg when I wear boxer shorts.

So if the humidity is high I tend to stick to normal Y fronts....still a problem but a bit more manageable  

Yeah, thanks for sharing that with us, Rodders. 

3 hours ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Why do you allow naked men to sit on your bare legs?

• Like 3