Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

17 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

Had to have my 14.5 year old golden retriever, Lily, put down yesterday as she was really ill through old age.
Feeling pretty shit about it today.

In need of a serious pick-me-up.

Sorry to hear that.  It is always tough.  Rip Lily.

1 hour ago, ozvaldo said:

Had to have my 14.5 year old golden retriever, Lily, put down yesterday as she was really ill through old age.
Feeling pretty shit about it today.

In need of a serious pick-me-up.

That's sucks dude. Sorry for your loss. Losing pets is always hard, it's like losing a family member, just have to focus on the good times. 

16 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Had a very interesting half day at Bletchley Park. 

Can't believe 9000 people worked there at final crucial period. So bloody clever and intelligent, you can't help feeling we will never be so adept at problem solving again. Everything is done for us now.

I knew the story but still got emotional when it came to the two sailors, in their early 20's, one English, one Scot, who sacrificed their lives to swim to a sinking U Boat to search for enigma codes / documentation. They could have got out but went back for more to pass on to the third sailor, a 16 year old, who just survived. 30 seconds later and they might have got out, but the sub just suddenly sank to the bottom. 

Three weeks later and the code books etc were at Bletchley and helped crack more of the code. Saved maybe millions of lives by cutting short the war. On average 10m people died each year of the war.

The 16 year old was discharged from the navy and sent home, because even in those days you had to be 17 to enlist in the navy. He had lied and joined at 15. 

To jump from your ship and swim in the ocean to a sinking enemy submarine, just mind blowing. 

Getting back to the key code breakers, Turing et al, massive respect, basically unbelievable what they did. 

If you get the chance to go, do it, you won't regret it. 

I've been looking for something to do on a weekend, This sounds perfect, how long did you spend there?

57 minutes ago, Beliall said:

Gok Wan is an anagram of go wank

lol and also the town of Newark is an anogram of willy puller!

Edit: that doesn't quite work on here does it but you know what I mean lol

Edited by Izzy Muzzett
FT won't let you post the word willy puller. See?
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Can't believe 9000 people worked there at final crucial period. So bloody clever and intelligent, you can't help feeling we will never be so adept at problem solving again. Everything is done for us now.

I knew the story but still got emotional when it came to the two sailors, in their early 20's, one English, one Scot, who sacrificed their lives to swim to a sinking U Boat to search for enigma codes / documentation. They could have got out but went back for more to pass on to the third sailor, a 16 year old, who just survived. 30 seconds later and they might have got out, but the sub just suddenly sank to the bottom. 

Three weeks later and the code books etc were at Bletchley and helped crack more of the code. Saved maybe millions of lives by cutting short the war. On average 10m people died each year of the war.

The 16 year old was discharged from the navy and sent home, because even in those days you had to be 17 to enlist in the navy. He had lied and joined at 15. 

To jump from your ship and swim in the ocean to a sinking enemy submarine, just mind blowing. 

Getting back to the key code breakers, Turing et al, massive respect, basically unbelievable what they did. 

I went a few months ago, it really was incredible what they did.

42 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I've been looking for something to do on a weekend, This sounds perfect, how long did you spend there?

We (as a family) spent about 4/5 hours at Bletchley and another 45 minutes at the computer museum thing around the corner which wasn't really worth it

17 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Have you seen that film about it mate? Can't think what it's bloody called but it's brilliant. Cumberbatch is the leading figure if I remember rightly.

27 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Have you seen that film about it mate? Can't think what it's bloody called but it's brilliant. Cumberbatch is the leading figure if I remember rightly.

Yes Col, The Imitation Game. Good film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Just under 31/2 hours, easy to find just near Milton Keynes. £18 to get in I think, we had gift cards from a Christmas present. Definitely worth it.

46 minutes ago, Wookie said:

We (as a family) spent about 4/5 hours at Bletchley and another 45 minutes at the computer museum thing around the corner which wasn't really worth it

Gave the computer museum a miss. More interested in the war time events. 

1 minute ago, BoyJones said:

Just under 31/2 hours, easy to find just near Milton Keynes. £18 to get in I think, we had gift cards from a Christmas present. Definitely worth it.

Just suggested it to my family, they're not keen. Women eh?

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Just suggested it to my family, they're not keen. Women eh?

Understandable I suppose as it does take time to go around the grounds and various huts. My missus dropped off to sleep on way home and that was mid afternoon. 

If you have no real interest, time will probably drag after the first hour.