Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

On 7/16/2017 at 16:05, Alf Bentley said:

What did he say about Putin?

If spilling the beans might lead to your sudden death, feel free to wait until you're in Blighty before answering. :D

Haven't forgotten you Alf ...   will respond soon ...   :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Just got back from my little adventure ..   7 different countries in 14 days ...    seen some great sights and very interesting to speak to people and get their views on Europe and what they think of their neighbours ...   went to Belgium (Ypres and Bruges), Denmark (Copenhagen), Sweden (Stockholm), Finland (Helsinki), Poland (Gdansk), Russia (St Petersburg) and Estonia (Tallinn) ....     Thought Gdansk would be a bit boring but was a beautiful place and the Solidarity museum was fascinating ...

IMG_2200.JPG

Nice.

Makes me pine for my salad days travelling through Central and Eastern Europe *sigh*

13 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Cheers for all the offers to meet up lads!! lol

In Cromer. Took a while to get here from Heathrow. It rained most of the way. Nice welcome home! I rented a really nice car. A Volvo V90. It has 'Pilot Assist' which is very strange. It is almost a self driving car. It can keep itself within the lane, speed up and slow down. Makes my 4x4 feel very old fashioned!!

Off to go see my Mum now. Should be a fun day.

Oh mate,I was meant to be there this weekend ( Kelling Heath near Holt) but my mum had let someone borrow her holiday caravan.Shame that.

Daughter was there today though as she was camping near Northrepps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bovril said:

Nice.

Makes me pine for my salad days travelling through Central and Eastern Europe *sigh*

Lettuce hope you get another opportunity.

(Nice is in France. though).

On 7/16/2017 at 16:05, Alf Bentley said:

What did he say about Putin?

If spilling the beans might lead to your sudden death, feel free to wait until you're in Blighty before answering. :D

Well Alf ...   safe now in my back room with the dogs on duty outside the door ...   not 100% sure about them though as one originated in the Czech republic and the other East Germany ..

As I mentioned I found it interesting to ask people what their thoughts were about Europe and their own situation.  The Estonians couldn't wait to join NATO as they didn't trust the Russians at all whereas the Finns were happy to stay neutral and not 'prod the bear' ...   different approaches.  So, our Russian guide seemed like a a pleasant,intelligent and thoughtful chap so I started my subtle interrogation ...   I thought he would be very pro Putin or say that he was a fine leader but maybe slightly hint otherwise.  However, he felt happy to discuss him and initially seemed very open and unconcerned about what he said which surprised me ...   he said the Prime minister wasn't very good and the economy suffered but Putin was doing a good job and he had voted for him this time but not before ...   he said at least 60% of the population supported him ...   interesting, as the Prime minister is second to Putin so surely he is ultimately responsible for all the nations problems ?   As Putin alone was responsible for foreign policy I brought that up next and he waxed lyrical about how Putin was doing a 'good job' in the Ukraine ...   well they were of Russian descent anyway and the West didn't understand ...   this started to sound more like the response that I was expecting so, having decided that he could just keep deflecting my questions all day with a fairly practised response, that was when I hit the red button and asked how he could condone their alliance with a war criminal in Syria who was happy to use chemical weapons on men, women and children ...      and that when he walked off in a huff !! ...   "Enough politics!!" ...  

So, the bottom line is that as I first thought the majority are intimidated by the glorious leader ...  and who wouldn't be ...   one of the most powerful (and probably richest) men in the world who has a very scary reputation to put it mildly.  As a nation they show off their lovely palaces and trappings of wealth but underneath are just another scared and maybe down trodden population ....     slightly over simplified I know but thats the impression i got on my visit.     Not sure where it will all go ... 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Well Alf ...   safe now in my back room with the dogs on duty outside the door ...   not 100% sure about them though as one originated in the Czech republic and the other East Germany ..

As I mentioned I found it interesting to ask people what their thoughts were about Europe and their own situation.  The Estonians couldn't wait to join NATO as they didn't trust the Russians at all whereas the Finns were happy to stay neutral and not 'prod the bear' ...   different approaches.  So, our Russian guide seemed like a a pleasant,intelligent and thoughtful chap so I started my subtle interrogation ...   I thought he would be very pro Putin or say that he was a fine leader but maybe slightly hint otherwise.  However, he felt happy to discuss him and initially seemed very open and unconcerned about what he said which surprised me ...   he said the Prime minister wasn't very good and the economy suffered but Putin was doing a good job and he had voted for him this time but not before ...   he said at least 60% of the population supported him ...   interesting, as the Prime minister is second to Putin so surely he is ultimately responsible for all the nations problems ?   As Putin alone was responsible for foreign policy I brought that up next and he waxed lyrical about how Putin was doing a 'good job' in the Ukraine ...   well they were of Russian descent anyway and the West didn't understand ...   this started to sound more like the response that I was expecting so, having decided that he could just keep deflecting my questions all day with a fairly practised response, that was when I hit the red button and asked how he could condone their alliance with a war criminal in Syria who was happy to use chemical weapons on men, women and children ...      and that when he walked off in a huff !! ...   "Enough politics!!" ...  

So, the bottom line is that as I first thought the majority are intimidated by the glorious leader ...  and who wouldn't be ...   one of the most powerful (and probably richest) men in the world who has a very scary reputation to put it mildly.  As a nation they show off their lovely palaces and trappings of wealth but underneath are just another scared and maybe down trodden population ....     slightly over simplified I know but thats the impression i got on my visit.     Not sure where it will all go ... 

All very interesting. I've never traveled that far East or North, but hope to do so some day.

The different attitudes of the Finns and Estonians are quite understandable. You'd imagine that the Finns would feel that the Russians are unlikely to bother them if they keep their heads down as they've had closer links with the West for decades and they'd probably be reasonably confident that the West would back them up if Putin tried anything. Whereas, people in the Baltic States must feel quite vulnerable, as small states that were part of the USSR. At least some of them have quite large ethnic Russian populations, too, so no surprise they want to strengthen alliances to the West. After the West allowed the Russian incursions into Ukraine, they can't feel confident that the West would back them up in a crisis.

The succession to Putin will be interesting. He's "only" 64 so could go on for 20 years yet, I suppose. I'm sure he won't be keen on allowing some designated heir to build a strong power base unless he's very confident of his loyalty. I imagine all the foreign policy stuff is popular with lots of Russians keen to feel that their nation is still a big power. What happens if there are serious economic problems and a great degree of public discontent is another matter....more brutal downtreading, I'd guess...

For me, Putin is probably the scariest leader in the world. Some others are more reckless and unpredictable (Kim Jong-Un) or more brutal (ISIS, Assad). Trump could potentially be more dangerous, but I cling to the (possibly misguided) hope that the checks and balances of US democracy would prevent him doing anything seriously crazy that wound endanger human civilization. But Putin must be massively calculating, ruthless and intelligent to have got where he is and to have stayed there. He's in charge of what is still a major military power with nukes. I'm sure he wouldn't do anything stupid that would endanger his power and wealth or that of his allies....but equally I assume he'd be utterly ruthless in protecting those interests.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I do wonder if Putin will just bigger off sometime with his billions and live in Switzerland or the Caribbean.  What is he putting all this money aside for?

Like all dictators he daren't leave office in case he's arrested. While he's in power he can protect himself.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

All very interesting. I've never traveled that far East or North, but hope to do so some day.

The different attitudes of the Finns and Estonians are quite understandable. You'd imagine that the Finns would feel that the Russians are unlikely to bother them if they keep their heads down as they've had closer links with the West for decades and they'd probably be reasonably confident that the West would back them up if Putin tried anything. Whereas, people in the Baltic States must feel quite vulnerable, as small states that were part of the USSR. At least some of them have quite large ethnic Russian populations, too, so no surprise they want to strengthen alliances to the West. After the West allowed the Russian incursions into Ukraine, they can't feel confident that the West would back them up in a crisis.

The succession to Putin will be interesting. He's "only" 64 so could go on for 20 years yet, I suppose. I'm sure he won't be keen on allowing some designated heir to build a strong power base unless he's very confident of his loyalty. I imagine all the foreign policy stuff is popular with lots of Russians keen to feel that their nation is still a big power. What happens if there are serious economic problems and a great degree of public discontent is another matter....more brutal downtreading, I'd guess...

For me, Putin is probably the scariest leader in the world. Some others are more reckless and unpredictable (Kim Jong-Un) or more brutal (ISIS, Assad). Trump could potentially be more dangerous, but I cling to the (possibly misguided) hope that the checks and balances of US democracy would prevent him doing anything seriously crazy that wound endanger human civilization. But Putin must be massively calculating, ruthless and intelligent to have got where he is and to have stayed there. He's in charge of what is still a major military power with nukes. I'm sure he wouldn't do anything stupid that would endanger his power and wealth or that of his allies....but equally I assume he'd be utterly ruthless in protecting those interests.....

Oh yes he is the most scariest imo too ....   he must be seething at having to give up the east European countries and desperately want to try and, if not get them back, control them.

He is always pushing and testing our reactions ...   a small incursion here, a quick flight into our airspace there (almost on a weekly basis), he seems to have no conscience or any scruples whatsoever.  There is no sign of anything that would suggest he thinks about world problems or helping other countries ...    I never saw one wind turbine or solar panel ...   I know they have oil and gas to burn but you get my drift.   But like you said I don't think he would do anything really stupid unless Trump winds him up (two old puffed up men with too much power ...   nothing changes) ....    but likewise this situation is unlikely to change ..   he has too much power and will never let go.

One last point about my trip, which I may have mentioned ..    the bravery of the Poles in standing up to the Soviets ...    if you ever go to Gdansk (beautiful place) check out the Solidarity museum ....    I watched an old video inside an old Soviet truck that they used to drive around and pull the strikers in and give them a severe beating ...   it showed grainy footage of a man standing in front of one of these trucks and it just went straight over him ...   squashed his head ...      thanks to their bravery we saw the start of the Soviet break up.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Like all dictators he daren't leave office in case he's arrested. While he's in power he can protect himself.

Yep, the funny thing is though although he may well have upwards of £200 billion,  what can he spend it on ? ...    mind you if he ever left and came over here he could really shake things up in the prem !! ...    :)

• Like 1

Spent all day putting up a wardrobe. It was quite easy until it came to hanging the door. If the neighbours have decent hearing if think they may have learnt some new swearwords.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Spent all day putting up a wardrobe. It was quite easy until it came to hanging the door. If the neighbours have decent hearing if think they may have learnt some new swearwords.

Wonder why. :whistle: :D

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today's been mental busy. These last few weeks have been mental busy. Working for ones self is mental. It can be boring, frustrating and tedious sometimes and then manic, crazy and uncontrollable at other times.

The good news is the money is flowing in and I'm spending less time pissing about on here :D (until next week when it will be less mental)

• Like 2

On 24/7/2017 at 18:13, Merging Cultures said:

Great to be home!bd3feea347ea71768e4952df65f8eafd.jpg

I'm back home as well for a while. Also in Norfolk. It's taking time to come to grips with some things.

1) Air conditioning. Why?
2) Heather Graham advertising bingo. Sexy but confusing.
3) Freezing cold sandwiches. Why?! Why, when your sandwiches are supposedly freshly made and then sealed in a box must you also keep them in sub zero temperatures so when you take a bite it's like sinking your teeth into a ****ing ice cube? I walk into M&S on Cambridge Station and I feel like Han ****ing Solo in Jaba's palace.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

My mate runs the media company that created the Foxy Bingo ads and got Heather Graham to star in it.

She got paid £300k for 2 days work. 

8 hours ago, bovril said:

I'm back home as well for a while. Also in Norfolk. It's taking time to come to grips with some things.

1) Air conditioning. Why?
3) Freezing cold sandwiches. Why?! Why, when your sandwiches are supposedly freshly made and then sealed in a box must you also keep them in sub zero temperatures so when you take a bite it's like sinking your teeth into a ****ing ice cube? I walk into M&S on Cambridge Station and I feel like Han ****ing Solo in Jaba's palace.

That'd be the webbed fingers. :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3