Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

9 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Had a blow out last night 2 hours into a 3 hour journey on a narrow road ...    my bloody nuts were frozen off by the time I got the spare on ...  :(   

Been out for 4 hours this morning ...    bloody nuts frozen again !!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MENS-THERMAL-ALL-IN-ONE-UNDERWEAR-SET-BASELAYER-ZIP-SKI-BODY-JUMPSUITS-S-XXL/222656359894?hash=item33d75a6dd6:m:m93UqEfdDytB088A-XscCGA

• Like 1

2nd day working in Dubai finished. I'm enjoying the work but I can't wait for the week to be over so I can get back to the Leicester office. Anyone who knows me knows that my 2 favourite things are alcohol and bacon. Both of which are hard to come by and extortionately expensive over here. As I write this, I'm sitting in a Belgian bar (which itself is bringing back some hazy memories of Brugge last season) where it is currently happy hour. Happy hour here consists of Stella Artois being half price - ONLY £5 a pint! All other beers are still full price. 

Did anyone that went Brugge sample a beer called Kwak? Served in a yard of ale type glass and at 8.4% was lethal stuff. A 330ml bottle of it here is approximately £15!

I'd go bankrupt if I lived and worked here permanently!

9 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

2nd day working in Dubai finished. I'm enjoying the work but I can't wait for the week to be over so I can get back to the Leicester office. Anyone who knows me knows that my 2 favourite things are alcohol and bacon. Both of which are hard to come by and extortionately expensive over here. As I write this, I'm sitting in a Belgian bar (which itself is bringing back some hazy memories of Brugge last season) where it is currently happy hour. Happy hour here consists of Stella Artois being half price - ONLY £5 a pint! All other beers are still full price. 

Did anyone that went Brugge sample a beer called Kwak? Served in a yard of ale type glass and at 8.4% was lethal stuff. A 330ml bottle of it here is approximately £15!

If you lived and worked out there permanently you’d get a proper wage instead of British pound crap. Can’t wait til I’m finished here and can get out to the Middle East myself.

2 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

If you lived and worked out there permanently you’d get a proper wage instead of British pound crap. Can’t wait til I’m finished here and can get out to the Middle East myself.

Is there a higher rate of pay if you work here permanently? Never knew that! I might have to make some enquiries!

Would you really want to live here permanently? I can't see the attraction myslef

Edited by TiffToff88

2 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

I would have somebody as morally upstanding as your self couldn't stand even the thought of living in the Middle East.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Buce said:

Just off out now Bucey ...   dressed up like Michelin man and also got my trusty zippo hand warmer ...   will probably be too hot !! ...   :cool:

58 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Just off out now Bucey ...   dressed up like Michelin man and also got my trusty zippo hand warmer ...   will probably be too hot !! ...   :cool:

Layering is the way to go, CF, removing and adding a layer when necessary. And it’s money well spent to invest in clothes with a high wicking factor, especially next to the skin, to prevent a build up of sweat which can hasten hyperthermia if you run into trouble and get stranded in low temperatures. 

Edit: I had laugh at those thermals I linked - they actually do them in a camouflage pattern. lol Who the hell needs camouflaged long johns?

Edited by Buce

13 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Is there a higher rate of pay if you work here permanently? Never knew that! I might have to make some enquiries!

Would you really want to live here permanently? I can't see the attraction myslef

The UAE also has a very favourable income tax regime.  You'd of course have to offset that with the heat, humidity, poor treatment of women, atrocious treatment of itinerant migrant workers etc. Oh and very expensive beer!

13 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

In my field salaries are at least double for equivalent positions plus there is no income tax so effective take home is about 4 times higher. Living costs are expensive, but when I was pricing up a move to Qatar last year I was still looking at being able to put more than what I take home here into savings on top of having a much better lifestyle.

31 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Quite like the look of Oman myself, it apparently being a bit more liberal, but I'm not fussy as long as the money is good.

Oman is a great place. A lot more laid back than rest of the ME Plus the local Omanis are very down to earth. Unlike most of the Gulf the locals do any job. Spent a lot of time in Muscat would like to see Salalah sometime hear its nice down there. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Are you still in Dubai on Friday? Brunches are good value relatively for Dubai. You can usually get all you can eat and drink for 200aed for 4-5 hours. Depends on how quick you can drink but usually get more than your money's worth all things considered. Most of the Irish places have pork. As you've no doubt realized 5 quid for a pint isn't too bad in Dubai or Middle East. Most places are about 10$ and there's a  lot of places 10 quid+ crazy I know.. If you hunt about a bit though some places do a bucket of bottles (5) for 100 aed. Smaller hotels usually.

Last time I was in Qatar you had to take your passport to go in a bar... If and its a big if they do keep the world cup can you imagine all the lost passports.....  It may have changed now as that was a few years ago.  And was there 3 weeks in Ramadan before. Completely dry. Was bored crazy. Weeks in a hotel room by yourself as nowhere to go but eat gets really old fast.

Anyway. Hope you have a good time for rest of your trip. 

Edited by desertfox2
Qatar

On 22/02/2018 at 20:28, FoxesDeb said:

I start my new job on Monday so went into the office today to get my things and to say a few goodbyes. I've worked in the same office for over 21 years and the miserable sods didn't even get me a card :( 

Don't worry they will probably miss you when your gone. Good luck with your new job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

Oman is a great place. A lot more laid back than rest of the ME Plus the local Omanis are very down to earth. Unlike most of the Gulf the locals do any job. Spent a lot of time in Muscat would like to see Salalah sometime hear its nice down there. 

Isn’t he at Liverpoopool ?

6 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Isn’t he at Liverpoopool ?

Would hazard a guess that Salalah is a bit more pleasing on the eye than Liverpool. :) probable useless bit of information but Salah means prayer in Arabic... Too long in Gulf. I'll make Salah we win the league again and that I get to go Salalah before Liverpool :) unless back home and get away tickets then forget Salalah UTF who needs wheels on your car if we can win at Anfield :)

• Like 1

Had a weekend in Singapore. Everyone got pissed on the way home, so I got my passport ready for the checkpoint, taxi pulled up and I'd lost it. So we're waiting for ages, mate couldn't hold his piss in, so tipped my Coke out and pissed on the bottles getting it everywhere. I got in to Malaysia on my other passport but it didn't look like me and they weren't happy I had two. Got the hotel, opened the side door and it fell out! My other passport.
Then I lost my wallet and couldn't get in room. Cancelled my cards, then the security guy called me, he'd found my passport!

But Singapore man, it's a metropolis. Easy to get lost, place has everything, and it all kinda joins onto each other. Would definitely go back

1 hour ago, simFox said:

Had a weekend in Singapore. Everyone got pissed on the way home, so I got my passport ready for the checkpoint, taxi pulled up and I'd lost it. So we're waiting for ages, mate couldn't hold his piss in, so tipped my Coke out and pissed on the bottles getting it everywhere. I got in to Malaysia on my other passport but it didn't look like me and they weren't happy I had two. Got the hotel, opened the side door and it fell out! My other passport.
Then I lost my wallet and couldn't get in room. Cancelled my cards, then the security guy called me, he'd found my passport!

But Singapore man, it's a metropolis. Easy to get lost, place has everything, and it all kinda joins onto each other. Would definitely go back

You went all the way to singapore for a weekend?

The Leicester beer festival starts today at its new venue the Haymarket theatre. I'll be there probably working on the local beer area. There are also festivals at the Kings Head Brood and Blue Boar.

John Davis, landlord of the Kings Head is leaving to open his own bar in Loughborough. Called Wheeltappers. It will have a bigger selection of real ales. Will be sad to see him go but it is a good move for him as he will have full control of the beers he sells and not ruled by a brewery.

If you at the Festival come and say hello and I will pour you your beer. It is tokens again this year. I dont know the layout yet. Will try and get there before the 5pm start to have a look around.

• Like 2