Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

Good luck for Sunday, sounds like you'll be fine :thumbup:
Good luck mate, I'm sure you'll do fine :)
Good luck James.

Just concentrate on getting round. You'll be fine - it's amazing the effect a few people cheering you on can have

Good luck bitch
Good luck James. :)

Thank you all. Today's the day. I've started with 5 Weetabix and a banana and raspberry smoothie. Beans on toast in a bit then start the journey to Windsor.

I'm feeling in high spirits.

Has he finished it?

:dunno:

Yes he has!

Just got home. 2 hours 9 minutes so a little outside my target but I didn't warrant on the 1. the heat and 2. the f**king hills. Bloody hell the course was pretty undulating. Feeling good now, sore legs but otherwise fine.

Thanks everyone for your good luck messages and donations and advice and everything. Next up, Reading half in March.

Yes he has!

Just got home. 2 hours 9 minutes so a little outside my target but I didn't warrant on the 1. the heat and 2. the f**king hills. Bloody hell the course was pretty undulating. Feeling good now, sore legs but otherwise fine.

Thanks everyone for your good luck messages and donations and advice and everything. Next up, Reading half in March.

:clap:

Well done!! That's still a good time, so you should be pleased!

Yes he has!

Congratulations. :worship::D

Is it too late to sponsor you? Dunno why it didn't occur to me before. :doh:

Yes he has!

Well done James, it was bloody hot today.

I felt dead just after playing football, I dread to think what a half marathon would have been like! lol

Yes he has!

Bravo. I'm doing the Reading half too, I better bloody beat you.

:clap:

Well done!! That's still a good time, so you should be pleased!

I am pleased. I'm just annoyed my housemate who hardly ever trained beat me. Bastard!

Congratulations. :worship::D

Is it too late to sponsor you? Dunno why it didn't occur to me before. :doh:

It's not too late. Click on the link and donate away! Thank you.

Well done James, it was bloody hot today.

I felt dead just after playing football, I dread to think what a half marathon would have been like! lol

Yeah I was already pretty covered in sweat before I even crossed the start line. I've never drank so much Lucozade, I never want to see that shit again!

Bravo. I'm doing the Reading half too, I better bloody beat you.

Challenge is set. I'm going to enter tomorrow.

Yes he has!

Fair play good effort there, I played 40 mins football and fooked me groin so you done better than me :thumbup::D

Well done, James... that is a tough distance to handle; I saw enough blood, sweat and bruises at a half-marathon today that prove it! I ran my first race today by doing the 5k at the same event. 22:10 and I got a medal for finishing 4th in the 25-29 age group, lol. I've been working on building stamina because I'll most likely do the half in Philadelphia in two months. I'll do a 10k in three weeks and apparently the course is hilly as fook :o. I ran a little over 9 miles on Monday and I was dead for two days ... I love running, but sometimes it is more ascetic than athletic!

Respect.

:thumbup:

Fair play good effort there, I played 40 mins football and fooked me groin so you done better than me :thumbup::D

Cheers.

Well done mate. Takes alot of commitment to run a race like that, I know my old mans obsessed by it, he used to do the London Marathon in 2 hours 40 and I'd never see him from January to April, he'd just be forking training.

2 hours 40! F**king hell, that's got to be competitive standard. Mr Pablo Snr is a very fit man.

Congrats James. :thumbup:

I'm doing one in a few weeks, hope I can manage as good a time as you did

If you want any advice there's loads of it in this thread. My advice for the race itself is start slow and drink a lot of fluids.

Well done, James... that is a tough distance to handle; I saw enough blood, sweat and bruises at a half-marathon today that prove it! I ran my first race today by doing the 5k at the same event. 22:10 and I got a medal for finishing 4th in the 25-29 age group, lol. I've been working on building stamina because I'll most likely do the half in Philadelphia in two months. I'll do a 10k in three weeks and apparently the course is hilly as fook :o. I ran a little over 9 miles on Monday and I was dead for two days ... I love running, but sometimes it is more ascetic than athletic!

22 mins is a very quick 5km, sounds like you have a decent foundation of fitness to work off (unlike me!). I feel surprisingly ok today though. Legs a bit achey but nothing too bad at all.

Hills are a killer, that's one thing I'd change about my training as I didn't do any hill work at all really.

I neglected the hill work the first time. >_<

If it's any consolation, there are no proper hills for the London Marathon. :thumbup:

Are you ok going downstairs, James? I found that the most painful part of my first proper distance "race".

I can only dream of a 22 minute 5K, Jordan. :(

3.6 miles (5.8km) in 27m 30s is the best I can manage, and I nearly killed myself doing that.

Well done, James. I'm aiming for 2hrs when I do the Leicester Half next month (assuming I stay illness and injury free) but I'd be happy with just getting round and not dying

I stuggle to do that in my car.

I think the best I have ever run 5 miles is in about an hour! haha. And that is when I was alot fitter :unsure: .

As an aside, there was a lighthouse forsale in the 'Homes' section of the Sunday Times yesterday....£350,000. And it was awesome.

I stuggle to do that in my car.

I think the best I have ever run 5 miles is in about an hour! haha. And that is when I was alot fitter :unsure: .

As an aside, there was a lighthouse forsale in the 'Homes' section of the Sunday Times yesterday....£350,000. And it was awesome.

Do you want in? It was going to be just me and TPH, but if that's how much they are we're going to have to be a bit less exclusive. Have you got £349,000? We can sort the rest

Do you want in? It was going to be just me and TPH, but if that's how much they are we're going to have to be a bit less exclusive. Have you got £349,000? We can sort the rest

I have £34.99...

But, judging by your avatar, you know a monkey in a suit with a big drum.

Whore him out.

I'm pretty sure he's dead, which is a shame, because not only could he answer a telephone whilst in the middle of a bongo session, but could smoke cigarettes and ride a miniature motorbike. Who wouldn't pay to see that? And despite being called Mr Jiggs, he's actually a girl monkey. Don't say you never learn anything from FT.

The osteopath confirmed that I DON'T have arthritis in my big toe, which someone told me I might have as a result from running.

And we're back on topic! KERPOW!!!

I neglected the hill work the first time. >_<

If it's any consolation, there are no proper hills for the London Marathon. :thumbup:

Are you ok going downstairs, James? I found that the most painful part of my first proper distance "race".

I can only dream of a 22 minute 5K, Jordan. :(

Stairs are an issue, yes. I seem to be getting more and more sore as the day goes on. I woke up thinking I was a champion athlete ready to run another marathon, now I feel like a very old man. I'm even groaning and letting out big sighs when I stand up and sit down.

And yeah 22 minutes for 5km. Quick. My best is just under 25 mins.

Stairs are an issue, yes. I seem to be getting more and more sore as the day goes on. I woke up thinking I was a champion athlete ready to run another marathon, now I feel like a very old man. I'm even groaning and letting out big sighs when I stand up and sit down.

And yeah 22 minutes for 5km. Quick. My best is just under 25 mins.

I do that after one session at the gym.

I would love to be able to run further and for longer, but I get terrible shin splints / pain in the knees.

I have always wondered this...but have failed to ask it for fear of looking like a tool...

If you are going to run a marathon, do you run a "Practice Marathon" first? Or like, how far do you run on a regular basis, prior to running the ACTUAL marathon?

I do that after one session at the gym.

I would love to be able to run further and for longer, but I get terrible shin splints / pain in the knees.

I have always wondered this...but have failed to ask it for fear of looking like a tool...

If you are going to run a marathon, do you run a "Practice Marathon" first? Or like, how far do you run on a regular basis, prior to running the ACTUAL marathon?

It's about building it up nice and slowly.

For my half marathon I basically did 1 big run per week and then 2 or 3 smaller ones. The big run would start off at about 5 miles about 10-12 weeks before the race and then increase to 10 miles which I did a couple of times between 2 and 3 weeks before the race. In midweek I would do 3-6 miles but try to do it quicker each time so you get home feeling f**ked. The big run should generally be done at fairly steady, half-marathon sort of pace (which for me was roughly 10 minute miles or 10km per hour).

I then went to the gym once a week to build up strength particularly in my legs.

Basically it's hard work for about 12 weeks! If you have a base level of fitness which I don't think I had then you may find it easier.

Basically it's hard work for about 12 weeks! If you have a base level of fitness which I don't think I had then you may find it easier.

I would say I haven't.

I have the best part of 4,000 cigarettes' worth of tar and shit in my lungs. However, I believe that alot of this all disappears after a while if you have only been smoking for a short time.

What about shin splints? How do I remedy this?

I would say I haven't.

I have the best part of 4,000 cigarettes' worth of tar and shit in my lungs. However, I believe that alot of this all disappears after a while if you have only been smoking for a short time.

What about shin splints? How do I remedy this?

I smoked pretty heavily for awhile myself and still partake from time to time. Just crack now though. Between your lungs and your legs what hurts first while running? I found that going at a steady pace my lungs actually coped well but my legs would tire, hence the work down the gym.

No idea about shin splints, I'm no expert. Have a word with your gym instructor maybe...

Archived