Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

Is it more of a 'Sauna' then a gym?

:unsure:

Where the ladies are of Oriental origin???

I wish it were true, i can't afford to go to such a gym, those types of places are a pipe dream at the mo, i'm hoping Tabou that you would earn loads of money\commision and take me!!

The gym i go to is the one at my local Sikh Temple near Holiday Inn, it's a real rustic, hard man's type of gym without any fancy lcd screens etc. It's a cracking gym if your into weights etc, but the feckers can't be arsed to build any of the cardio stuff, there still in there boxes, I offered to build them myself, if they provided the tools!! :angry:

I would say I haven't.

I have the best part of 4,000 cigarettes' worth of tar and shit in my lungs. However, I believe that alot of this all disappears after a while if you have only been smoking for a short time.

What about shin splints? How do I remedy this?

How bad do you get them, and where? I used to get a terrible pain up the inside of my shins, particularly when running more than a couple of times a week or anything other than short distances.

Supposedly this is one of those where the location of the pain isn't necessarily where the problem is. I was told to massage the BACKS of my calves, and stretch them real good, and strengthen them by standing on a stair, letting your heels drop off the edge, and then (keeping your legs straight) raising yourself up to stand on your toes, and touch wood, I seem to have knocked that one on the head.

If I can sort out my dodgy hip as well I'll be laughing

For the marathon, the furthest training run is usually 20 miles, and this is the aim for anyone who has a level of basic fitness, and is used to running 20-30 minutes a few times a week. You would be looking at doing this run in 3 to 3 and half hours, and then relying on your fitness to get you through the last 6 miles (roughly another 60 - 90 minutes of running). Believe it or not, you can get to this level after 10-12 weeks of training, but as I said, you have to be a regular runner already.

Anyone who hasn't run and is looking to finish in around 6 hours, your longest training run is going to be about 4-5 hours!!

The good thing is you only do it once before the race!

well done James, must feel a huge achievement. I've been debating signing up to the reading half marathon in march, and I think I might just do it. Sorry didn't get around to sponsoring you, will do so when I get back from the states if not too late. I'll be mailing you for tips too....

well done James, must feel a huge achievement. I've been debating signing up to the reading half marathon in march, and I think I might just do it. Sorry didn't get around to sponsoring you, will do so when I get back from the states if not too late. I'll be mailing you for tips too....

You should do it mate. I signed up yesterday. And cheers for the offer of a donation, my page doesn't expire until December so you (and everyone else!) has plenty of time still.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone doing the Leicester Half Marathon (or the full one for that matter, if you're a real nutter) next weekend? I've just finished my training for it, and I'm crapping myself about the whole thing

There was a sign for this warning of delays near our newsagents. Is it passing through Syston?

Anyone doing the Leicester Half Marathon (or the full one for that matter, if you're a real nutter) next weekend? I've just finished my training for it, and I'm crapping myself about the whole thing

Yeah I'm doing the half. Looking forward to actually doing it now, been training for yonks

There was a sign for this warning of delays near our newsagents. Is it passing through Syston?

The full one is, I believe. The half turns back towards Leicester just before it gets there.

Yeah I'm doing the half. Looking forward to actually doing it now, been training for yonks

Technically I've been training for it for about four years, having missed one I entered through illness and having to pull out last year through injury. I'm SORT of looking forward to it, sort of dreading it. I'm not targetting a time or anything, I just want to get round without collapsing. If it's not too far outside 2 hours I'll be happy

What are peoples opions on treadmills just put one on depsit one of the top of the range ones (my old man actually payed for it i just picked it out.)

This thing has a tv attached to it all different pre done programs heart rate monitor all different types of course. motion sense to speed up and slow down this thing is really classy. Just want to know if any one has one and what there like cos i hate running around the streets as its a **** when women pass you it de motivates at least with a tv there and in our own home gym it should be good.

I won't be :(

As long as you have done the training, you should be fine. Don't go out too hard at the start, and enjoy yourself!!

What are peoples opions on treadmills just put one on depsit one of the top of the range ones (my old man actually payed for it i just picked it out.)

This thing has a tv attached to it all different pre done programs heart rate monitor all different types of course. motion sense to speed up and slow down this thing is really classy. Just want to know if any one has one and what there like cos i hate running around the streets as its a **** when women pass you it de motivates at least with a tv there and in our own home gym it should be good.

Our gym has the screens attached, it's a very good distraction (if they work.....).

I find the treadmill puts less strain on my dodgy knee, but it's still good to go and run outside every now and again. When you've had to run past the worst that Leicester's schools can produce, you learn to ignore people more easily!

I won't be :(

As long as you have done the training, you should be fine. Don't go out too hard at the start, and enjoy yourself!!

Our gym has the screens attached, it's a very good distraction (if they work.....).

I find the treadmill puts less strain on my dodgy knee, but it's still good to go and run outside every now and again. When you've had to run past the worst that Leicester's schools can produce, you learn to ignore people more easily!

Yeah my knees are shot after many years of afl and i do find that running in the streets is hard on the knees

Just seen this thread and had to have a gander as I love running myself!

Well done James on your half marathon success, it's a bloody hard event!. I run middle distance races for my local club (800/1500m) but thought I'd give the longer distance a go so entered the Great North Run last year. Had to change my training around from 1 weekly long run to 4 which took some getting used to!

I usually dread the long 'stamina run' and doing 4 a week was a real drag, so I have a lot of respect for people who specialize in the longer events!

Was thinking about doing my local half this year to try and better my 1hr 28mins P.B. but really not sure if i can handle putting in all those miles again!

By the sounds of it you've caught the running bug now, It's like an addiction! :crylaugh:

Was thinking about doing my local half this year to try and better my 1hr 28mins P.B. but really not sure if i can handle putting in all those miles again!

I would kill to run a half marathon in that kind of time. :(

Who do you run for?

I would kill to run a half marathon in that kind of time. :(

Who do you run for?

Yeah I was happy with that time, so hard though! The winner did it in 59 minutes this year!...crazy

I run for my local club, Cannock and Stafford AC over the summer track season.

Don't really race that much over the Winter because of work/uni commitments but the training is still going in!

Do you run for a club at all?

Yeah I was happy with that time, so hard though! The winner did it in 59 minutes this year!...crazy

I run for my local club, Cannock and Stafford AC over the summer track season.

Don't really race that much over the Winter because of work/uni commitments but the training is still going in!

Do you run for a club at all?

:D I'm not that good, not by a long way!!

I run for myself, but I have had several people independently ask me to run with a local road running club. They have all assured me that my lack of pace means nothing as they have people of all abilities training with them, but I guess I am too scared to take the plunge!

:D I'm not that good, not by a long way!!

I run for myself, but I have had several people independently ask me to run with a local road running club. They have all assured me that my lack of pace means nothing as they have people of all abilities training with them, but I guess I am too scared to take the plunge!

Not many are! :D

Yeh fitness levels aren't an issue, there will be people a lot faster and a lot slower than you it's just about enjoying it!

Running with people is great for motivation and most people find they improve quickly after joining a club, I did anyway!. But if you're happy running on your own and for yourself I'd say there's no need to change anything! :)

Good luck to Bellend Sebastian and anybody else who's doing the half/full marathon on sunday :thumbup:

I'm off up to Leics now for the weekend so I'll be crawling across that finish line around 11.30am on sunday morning I hope :P

I was going to wait until nearer the time, but seeing as you have started it...

Good luck to everyone taking part on Sunday, whatever the distance! I really do wish I was joining you all, but I will be thinking of you, and make sure you all enjoy yourselves!!!

Archived