Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

5 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You’re a top poster on here Crinkly old chap and it’s good to hear that your lad is now doing well :thumbup:

Maybe I should take your advice and look at the appeals process. I’m sure other parents will be and I guess there’s nothing to lose so it’s worth a shot.

Thanks mate 

I'm always reluctant to advise anyone to go down the appeal route, purely because I found it a horrible experience. Don't under estimate the strain it will put on the whole family, it completely ruined a whole summer for us, and we still didn't win. Luckily I'd written down every thing I wanted to say, because when it came to the day I just completely fell apart and couldn't speak! 

Like you I had to apply online, and theoretically the school had no input. But I badgered the poor head mistress relentlessly, and eventually she said just bring him (my son) in on the first day of school, because she would never turn anyone away. To this day I'm not sure that he was ever officially on the school list, but county hall never got in touch and he's now half way through his A levels. At the end of the day you need to do what's right for all of you, but certainly in my experience badgering is the way forward ☺️

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

More continual assessment tbf, which is a far better way to properly judge ability rather than a single point where a competent person could choke or a complete idiot fluke it.

If a doctor chokes under the pressure of a test situation, id rather have the flukey idiot tbh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

If a doctor chokes under the pressure of a test situation, id rather have the flukey idiot tbh.

Eh, treatments that should work can fail, bad days can happen, but I'd fancy my odds more with a doctor risking a bad day than pinning my hopes on a yokel pulling off a fluke.

Word rounds on Pointless where contestants have to think of a word ending ...ast or ...read and people give answers like last or head as an answer that nobody else might have said. Unbelievable that people who can't think beyond four letters put themselves forward for a quizzing national TV. It's like Stephen Hawking entering the triple jump in the Olympic stadium.

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

Word rounds on Pointless where contestants have to think of a word ending ...ast or ...read and people give answers like last or head as an answer that nobody else might have said. Unbelievable that people who can't think beyond four letters put themselves forward for a quizzing national TV. It's like Stephen Hawking entering the triple jump in the Olympic stadium.

Didn't get through the audition Trav?

On 13/10/2017 at 14:31, Webbo said:

Harvey Weinstein going into therapy. It's like he's saying "it's not my fault, I have an addiction" and then when he's finished after a month in some luxury rehab centre he'll say  "I'm cured now, can I have my life back?" 

His therapy I suspect will be along a similar timeframe away from the US as Roman Polanski's! 

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

People who do backstroke in crowded swimming pools. And anyone who doesn't understand how to swim clockwise in a lane. And any show-off butterfly nonces. You're never gonna be Michael Phelps, piss off.

People who swim in my lane when I'm clearly doing a 400 meter medley.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

People who swim in my lane when I'm clearly doing a 400 meter medley.

:D

I've no problem with it if there's clearly the space for it, but thinking you can just do whatever you want at peak times to the annoyance of everyone else in the pool is massively anti-social.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

People who do backstroke in crowded swimming pools. And anyone who doesn't understand how to swim clockwise in a lane. And any show-off butterfly nonces. You're never gonna be Michael Phelps, piss off.

Apropos of nothing, I'm reasonably sure that Michael Phelps is the result of secretive genetic experimentation in a lab somewhere and that he is in fact part-dolphin.

• Haha 1

Lying, thieving, bloody scam artists who keep phoning me up. They can't even put the effort in to be remotely plausible. Why do they all sound like Ghandi, but give themselves quintessentially English names. Jesus Christ, give me a fecking button on my phone that converts my line into a premium rate number and I could rake in millions.

24 minutes ago, the fox said:

for some reason, people saying "Ra'ash al Ghul" instead of "Ra's al Ghul"  gets on my nerves lol (and for people who don't really know, it means "the head of the ghoul")

That's a useful phrase to remember.:unsure:

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, the fox said:

for some reason, people saying "Ra'ash al Ghul" instead of "Ra's al Ghul"  gets on my nerves lol (and for people who don't really know, it means "the head of the ghoul")

I think you'll find it actually translates as 'Head of the Demon' ...    C'mon Foxy get a grip ...   :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

I think you'll find it actually translates as 'Head of the Demon' ...    C'mon Foxy get a grip ...   :rolleyes:

would kinda have to trust my real life experience over translating it online lol 

the word demon can mean shaytan (satan) or the more accurate, afreet! djinn (same in english), and ghul is pretty much the same like djinn. in english it's ghoul or even goblin if you like.

that's how i understand it, it's kinda complicated to translate a thing like that from arabic to english (or at least for me), the word demon can mean more than one thing so it's not easy to say which is which (but i know ghul is ghoul lol )

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Continuous job-searching but to no avail..

Keep in mind: however many rejections or dead-ends you encounter, you only need to get lucky once.

That thought used to keep my morale up when jobseeking in the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1