Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Sigh 

I admit that some posters alluded to said actions as a cause of discomfort but those comments were also fellowed by snarky remarks from some posters with a known snarky demeanor towards many subjects so it sadly became a case of "the right massage but the wrong messenger" and all that. 

And what really bugs me is some of those silly remarks "this is just an online forum so you shouldn't be bothered by my inconsiderate comments towards you because I'm not bothered by remarks directed at me" to excuse the personal attacks. It's like, this aloof, false-equivalency is just baffling. Your way of thinking is not the norm. Not all people feel the same, act the same nor do they have the same emotional threshold. That way of thinking isn't the governer of all minds. 

Many fellow posters are struggling mightily with their mental health and well-being. Words are cheap but sadly emotions are the dolller store. so, can we please be a bit more consideret and layoff the personal attacks? 

Many people use this platform as a shelter, an alter-ego, a persona or a fantasy. Name it how you like.people say that those are just avatars but in reality there are people behind them with their own lives, hobbies, feelings and personal struggles. 

We don't want this forum to be a room with patted walls but there are ways to go by doing things. Some are totally deserving of some harsh words but it seems that the smallest, pettiest of things turn into a conflict and on many occasions, a personal attack. 

Edited by the fox
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The American way of writing down the date in the incorrect format (i.e month/day/year). What is the logic behind this? It makes no sense. It would be like displaying the time digitally with the minutes before the hours. 

I've never understood that either. My older brother has lived in New York since 1999 and has a theory on it.

They like to tweak things so they aren't following anyone. It's important to the American psyche to feel as though they are World leaders. That's not a criticism, just seems to be 'where they're at'. They like things to be different from old systems in place from outwith the States.

A piece of wood referred to as a 4x2 here is referred to as a 2x4 in the USA. Might seem an simplistic example but it seems to be the same thing.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I've never understood that either. My older brother has lived in New York since 1999 and has a theory on it.

They like to tweak things so they aren't following anyone. It's important to the American psyche to feel as though they are World leaders. That's not a criticism, just seems to be 'where they're at'. They like things to be different from old systems in place from outwith the States.

A piece of wood referred to as a 4x2 here is referred to as a 2x4 in the USA. Might seem an simplistic example but it seems to be the same thing.

Don't get me started on people who still use imperial measurements and look at me funny when I use the metric system, it's older than I am ffs.

1 minute ago, ajthefox said:

Don't get me started on people who still use imperial measurements and look at me funny when I use the metric system, it's older than I am ffs.

lol Yeah, it took him a while to get used to that in the good ol' US. He'd already converted to metric years before and had to go back the way. They just couldn't do it over there. You have to use imperial in the USA though.

I started off training as a quantity surveyor whilst there were still a lot of older people in construction who used imperial measurements back then. More than half I'd say. I'm luckily one of those who had to convert a measurement both ways depending on who I was speaking to so I can do it almost instantly. It can still cause confusion though.

9 hours ago, the fox said:

Sigh 

I admit that some posters alluded to said actions as a cause of discomfort but those comments were also fellowed by snarky remarks from some posters with a known snarky demeanor towards many subjects so it sadly became a case of "the right massage but the wrong messenger" and all that. 

And what really bugs me is some of those silly remarks "this is just an online forum so you shouldn't be bothered by my inconsiderate comments towards you because I'm not bothered by remarks directed at me" to excuse the personal attacks. It's like, this aloof, false-equivalency is just baffling. Your way of thinking is not the norm. Not all people feel the same, act the same nor do they have the same emotional threshold. That way of thinking isn't the governer of all minds. 

Many fellow posters are struggling mightily with their mental health and well-being. Words are cheap but sadly emotions are the dolller store. so, can we please be a bit more consideret and layoff the personal attacks? 

Many people use this platform as a shelter, an alter-ego, a persona or a fantasy. Name it how you like.people say that those are just avatars but in reality there are people behind them with their own lives, hobbies, feelings and personal struggles. 

We don't want this forum to be a room with patted walls but there are ways to go by doing things. Some are totally deserving of some harsh words but it seems that the smallest, prettiest of things turn into a conflict and on many occasions, a personal attack. 

That's a well thought out post and worthy of a response.

I don't use this platform as a shelter of any kind though, I use it to make comments on football and other things. I appreciate exactly what you have said though and it will apply to a myriad of people.

I was happy to concede the point at the start of all this but once the thread was left to descend into barely disguised name calling,   (apparently fine if you don't actually name a person, use funky new words and only allude that you're referring to them,) This is a sleight of hand commonly used by these type of social media 'behemoths'. Under those circumstances I was happy to respond.

It may be the end of it but you can see on this page that it may continue through sycophantic sidekicks. As long as I'm allowed to respond to name calling without being banned, that's fine by me, I have more than enough wit and vocabulary to compete with the pack mentality of a few wannabes. I'm only talking for myself of course.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I was happy to concede the point at the start of all this but once the thread was left to descend into barely disguised name calling,

That's exactly my problem with all of this. It just doesn't come off as a well-intended advice and more of an attempt to make fun of other posters. It's usually the same few posters with one of them making  jokes at the expense of others whilst the rest of the group replying with "kekeke you are so funny Lol." and such. 

It just seems like a "my bad" isn't good enough. 

I had a few disagreements that mostly end with "you are weird" or "lol. I got this guy on my ignore list". Which is more then fine. I told some of them that if they have me on ignore, they shouldn't bother mentioning my name. 

I take advices and criticism to heart if they are valid or come with well intentions. I was called out for my lack of CAPs by a grammatical stickler on this forum and it actually helped me improve so I thank them lol . That's the right kind of criticism. A valid one that will be a benefit for the criticised.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the fox said:

I take advices and criticism to heart if they are valid or come with well intentions. I was called out for my lack of CAPs by a grammatical stickler on this forum and it actually helped me improve so I thank them lol . That's the right kind of criticism. A valid one that will be a benefit for the criticised.

lol

Your English is better than the majority on the forum, your punctuation is too by the looks of it.

As are a lot of your opinions. It was a well written and well intended post you made, we could do with more of those on here and I'm not entirely blameless in that either.

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I use both, sometimes in the same quotation. Not purposely but I was taught at school in metric but my apprenticeship I had to use imperial. Now it just depends which side of the tape measure is closest to the material lol

• Like 3

Just now, Strokes said:

I use both, sometimes in the same quotation. Not purposely but I was taught at school in metric but my apprenticeship I had to use imperial. Now it just depends which side of the tape measure is closest to the material lol

Ditto

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Grown, adult women driving about in cars with 'Powered by Fairy Dust' written on them. I know us blokes can be very childish at times, but this takes the cake.

lol I had no idea that was a thing. Bet it started in Essex........... or America

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I've seen quite a few in my time. Maybe it's just a Peterborough thing.

FAIRYDUST_600PX-340x340.jpg.d0fb688935bcc77bc4df96baad2aaef8.jpg

Oh, hahahaha, I actually thought you meant a small sticker not emblazoned across the back window. How crass.

Mind you, I live in the countryside now, you wouldn't see it for the shit on the back window of most cars around here.

That is a first for me. I can see how that would bug you if you see it often tbf.