Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

18 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

People who don't accept multi-culturalism in their own city/town.

.... tell me about it all you darn whiteys coming into our cities and communities trying to change our british/canadian identity. You eat our food put our curry on your chips (seriously wtf is that about???? Thats like putting gravy on my samosa)... lol

(Disclosure: that was a joke. No need for keyboard warriors to get bent out of shape)

On a serious note theres not much you can do other than educate folk. If their minds are made up then so be it.  As a minority/mixed race individual racism or ignorance (as it pertains to multiculturalism) makes me even more prouder to be who I am.  

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Flight delays. 

we got delayed on the runway for 2 hours on the way back from lisbon last week. got on, did the pre-flight shit about if we crash this is how to survive (yeah sure, if we crash we’re fu cked mate, that slide isn’t gonna help nobody) then sat there for 45 minutes. then an announcement that someone had clearly forgot to book us a take off slot and we’d have to wait another hour until it was clear. 

i thought i’d slept through most the flight. woke up and we still had the fu cking handbrake on. 

15 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

we got delayed on the runway for 2 hours on the way back from lisbon last week. got on, did the pre-flight shit about if we crash this is how to survive (yeah sure, if we crash we’re fu cked mate, that slide isn’t gonna help nobody) then sat there for 45 minutes. then an announcement that someone had clearly forgot to book us a take off slot and we’d have to wait another hour until it was clear. 

i thought i’d slept through most the flight. woke up and we still had the fu cking handbrake on. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/sunwing-plane-clips-westjet-plane-at-toronto-airport-sparking-fire-1.3747926

Hey man, you never know!  

So, I was going through comments and saw one that I found funny so I tried to "react" to it with the laughing emoji but it won't let me. 

Screenshot_2018-08-13-00-14-52.thumb.png.c06084cb077cdad3bb2562ae85962035.png

So i thought to myself "why not rotate the screen and see what happens" So I did; and so I failed. 

Screenshot_2018-08-13-00-15-20.thumb.png.5f70671769f1403e6e9fbab702399916.png

Well to be honest, I'm not really that mad. I would even say I'm impressed. To be crap is one thing, but to be consistent in your crappieness is a whole norther concept. 

gelV4Em3JNNBkmiGO9RK3U9iPAQyqW1xoE5Naydv

1 hour ago, the fox said:

So, I was going through comments and saw one that I found funny so I tried to "react" to it with the laughing emoji but it won't let me. 

Screenshot_2018-08-13-00-14-52.thumb.png.c06084cb077cdad3bb2562ae85962035.png

So i thought to myself "why not rotate the screen and see what happens" So I did; and so I failed. 

Screenshot_2018-08-13-00-15-20.thumb.png.5f70671769f1403e6e9fbab702399916.png

Well to be honest, I'm not really that mad. I would even say I'm impressed. To be crap is one thing, but to be consistent in your crappieness is a whole norther concept. 

gelV4Em3JNNBkmiGO9RK3U9iPAQyqW1xoE5Naydv

Happens on my phone too. Perhaps a question for mods or others that have run into it. I do enough IT work  at work my brain shuts off all things IT when i come home lol

Edited by Jattdogg

Terrible jokes about Trump, clearly he's not a statesman but somebody calling him "orange" for the umpteenth time isn't funny. He's beyond parody at this point so  another loose impression isn't funny either. Matt Parker and Trey Stone said that the events that have unfolded are "funnier than anything that we could have came up with" so it's frustrating to see the same stuff regurgitated over and over again. For me at least, the best comedy is subtle and nuanced, saying he looks like a baby or piece of ham was barely funny in 2017 let alone now.

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Terrible jokes about Trump, clearly he's not a statesman but somebody calling him "orange" for the umpteenth time isn't funny. He's beyond parody at this point so  another loose impression isn't funny either. Matt Parker and Trey Stone said that the events that have unfolded are "funnier than anything that we could have came up with" so it's frustrating to see the same stuff regurgitated over and over again. For me at least, the best comedy is subtle and nuanced, saying he looks like a baby or piece of ham was barely funny in 2017 let alone now.

I can see what you mean. You want something really cutting and incisive for humour? Satirise the ones he's enabled and the ones he's in hock to.

• Like 1

I was listening to the Radio Leicester post-match podcast and Matt Piper's pronunciation of our players names is infuriating. 

The bloke is employed as a match summariser on the radio. You'd think that it would be prerequisite that he'd be able to pronounce the players' names... It's not hard. Learn them. That's your job.

I cringe every time he says Shinji (chin-zy) or Iheanacho (Inny-atchu) 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I was listening to the Radio Leicester post-match podcast and Matt Piper's pronunciation of our players names is infuriating. 

The bloke is employed as a match summariser on the radio. You'd think that it would be prerequisite that he'd be able to pronounce the players' names... It's not hard. Learn them. That's your job.

I cringe every time he says Shinji (chin-zy) or Iheanacho (Inny-atchu

Bless you

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

As a fan of most performing arts I'm starting to get really ****ed off with twitter's bizarre attempts lately of gatekeeping the world of Hollywood casting. 

Scarlet Johansson is cast in ghost in the shell, for example, the Internet goes nuts and calls it white washing. Nevermind the Japanese public don't give a toss, were happy with her performance and the Japanese original director of the series thought she was fantastic. Twitter has spoken. 

Now they're after Jack Whitehall for daring to take a role as a gay man because apparently it should go to a gay actor. What the ****? I mean nevermind the fact Jack Whitehall shouldn't be cast in anything, that's irrelevant, since when did you have to be something to act it? 

Were Pachino and Cazale not brilliant in Dog Day Afternoon? Was Jared Leto not sensational in Dallas Buyers Club? Equally, how many gay people find the casting of Neil Patrick Harris as Barney Stinson wildly offensive? 

It's stupid. If straight people can only play straight people can gay people only play gay people? Tom Cruise jokes aside, good luck passing that off to every gay aspiring actor. Way to typecast. 

Surely the whole brilliance of acting is being able to convey something you aren't? If everyone is only ever cast to play an extension of themselves you might as well just ditch the whole profession. 

Chris people on social media are dumb. 

I've just seen that too. Twitter is the social media platform that gets the most offended about things on other people's behalf.

One person gets mad and if that person gets retweeted by the right (wrong) people then it causes mass outrage.

Did people get mad when Benedict Cumberbatch played Alan Turing in The Imitation Game?

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I've just seen that too. Twitter is the social media platform that gets the most offended about things on other people's behalf.

One person gets mad and if that person gets retweeted by the right (wrong) people then it causes mass outrage.

Did people get mad when Benedict Cumberbatch played Alan Turing in The Imitation Game?

I honestly don't think half of them are legitimately outraged, I just think they're playing a game. 

Social media is a bizarre competition to get likes, upvotes, rep, approval, retweets - ultimately fame. Everyone wants to be famous, wants their tweet in the news. 

One of the most popular ways of doing it at the moment is attempted moral outrage, competing to see who can look the most sensitive and considerate whilst ironically just being bullying trolls. 

5 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think their issue is gay actors are not getting big straight parts, so this is a missed opportunity for them.

There's got to be enormously more openly gay actors than most other professions in the public eye, surely? 

Most of whom play more straight roles than gay ones simply by weight of numbers being that there are more straight roles to be played than gay ones. 

Don't make me start naming them en masse, we'll be here all day. 

Edited by Finnegan

42 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

As a fan of most performing arts I'm starting to get really ****ed off with twitter's bizarre attempts lately of gatekeeping the world of Hollywood casting. 

Scarlet Johansson is cast in ghost in the shell, for example, the Internet goes nuts and calls it white washing. Nevermind the Japanese public don't give a toss, were happy with her performance and the Japanese original director of the series thought she was fantastic. Twitter has spoken. 

Now they're after Jack Whitehall for daring to take a role as a gay man because apparently it should go to a gay actor. What the ****? I mean nevermind the fact Jack Whitehall shouldn't be cast in anything, that's irrelevant, since when did you have to be something to act it? 

Were Pachino and Cazale not brilliant in Dog Day Afternoon? Was Jared Leto not sensational in Dallas Buyers Club? Equally, how many gay people find the casting of Neil Patrick Harris as Barney Stinson wildly offensive? 

It's stupid. If straight people can only play straight people can gay people only play gay people? Tom Cruise jokes aside, good luck passing that off to every gay aspiring actor. Way to typecast. 

Surely the whole brilliance of acting is being able to convey something you aren't? If everyone is only ever cast to play an extension of themselves you might as well just ditch the whole profession. 

Chris people on social media are dumb. 

I can fully understand the anger when a white actor is cast in a role which is clearly intended to be a specific race/ethnicity. That's lazy casting and is denying opportunities of other actors who are overlooked for other major roles because of their race.

Similarly, there's no reason for cis actors to play transgender roles.

Sexuality, however, shouldnt make a blind bit of difference. There are some fantastic examples of LGB actors playing straight roles well, and vice versa. Particularly so nowadays being LGB doesn't restrict you from taking on roles in the same way that race/gender does.

As a gay man, my main issue with this is that the 'groundbreaking first openly gay disney role' is supposedly meant to be an embellishment of all the typical gay, effeminate stereotypes, and they're choosing to go with a comedy 'actor' (in the loosest sense of the word...) who's going to play it up even more so. I'm struggling to envisage how they plan on realising that without it becoming demeaning/offensive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

I can fully understand the anger when a white actor is cast in a role which is clearly intended to be a specific race/ethnicity. That's lazy casting and is denying opportunities of other actors who are overlooked for other major roles because of their race.

Sexuality, however, shouldnt make a blind bit of difference. There are some fantastic examples of LGB actors playing straight roles well, and vice versa. Particularly so nowadays being LGB doesn't restrict you from taking on roles in the same way that race/gender does.

As a gay man, my main issue with this is that the 'groundbreaking first openly gay disney role' is supposedly meant to be an embellishment of all the typical gay, effeminate stereotypes, and they're choosing to go with a comedy 'actor' (in the loosest sense of the word...) who's going to play it up even more so. I'm struggling to envisage how they plan on realising that without it becoming demeaning/offensive.

Yeah this is the genuine problem.

It's not that they're getting a straight man to play a gay man, it's that the straight man is going to be like a Louie Spence caricature.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Xen said:

An honest question, why not?

Transgender people are in general, a VERY small slice in the general populace. If you've got an AAA release with a significant transgender role, you'd need to find someone in that already small slice who is a decent actor, and in that small slice of a very small slice you need to find someone who is good enough or appropriate for the role.

There's a good chance the most appropriate actor for that role who'll do it justice are gonna be cis.

I've also seen some transgender individuals argue that if it was a biopic of a transgender person and it covers both pre and post transition, then they wouldn't be comfortable 'returning' to their pre-transition gender, so there's that obstacle as well.

Of course this isn't all to say transgender actors shouldn't get a role in any kind of capacity if they're well suited to the role, in that case more power to them, but I think, as long as it's not visually compromising a historically accurate film, that anyone should be considered a candidate for any role if they are the right fit.

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But that's all down to writing and direction, ultimately, and has nothing to do with Jack Whitehall and his sexuality.

Absolutely.

The problem is that you'd like to think with this being Disney's first openly gay character that they'd have it done with a bit of class. I can see my grandkids looking back on this sort of thing in a similar sort of way to how I look at how black people were portrayed in entertainment in my grand parent's time.

The whole camp/in your face/eccentric etc stereotype of gay people that is routinely portrayed in the media must surely offend a good portion of gay people?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Absolutely.

The problem is that you'd like to think with this being Disney's first openly gay character that they'd have it done with a bit of class. I can see my grandkids looking back on this sort of thing in a similar sort of way to how I look at how black people were portrayed in entertainment in my grand parent's time.

The whole camp/in your face/eccentric etc stereotype of gay people that is routinely portrayed in the media must surely offend a good portion of gay people?

I'm not sure if Im offended by it as much as I'm just tired of it. It's lazy, has no depth, and always sloppily 'executed'. Heck, even that wouldnt bother me too much, but its not even funny.

We've come so far past that point culturally (in most western countries) that there's no need for it. The range of personalities and behaviours of gay people is so ridiculously broad and varied that they can do so much more - and thankfully they are starting to. Films like 'Love, Simon' are fantastic as we're finally starting to get a real representation that isnt a charicature. 'Gay' is not a personality.

I know a number of gay people who are exactly like that, and that's who they are so that's fine. I also know a guy who runs an inclusive rugby club and is about as far from 'flamboyant' as you can get. And there are countless people who are in the middle, or even switch between different extremes depending on mood/situation. And the experiences of all those people are similar but different at the same time.

We're starting to get there now, but I think what we're aiming for is less of 'This is the gay character' and more of 'This is a well-rounded character, who happens to be gay'.

• Like 4