Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

8 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Best performance of the season from Murray that I've seen

I'd agree with that. Could easily have struggled or lost this based on current form, but held Del P enough for him to run out of steam in expert fashion.

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

That match was always going to be the indication of whether Andy is playing well again or not.

Fully expect him to make the Semis at least now.

I'd not say so actually, he's stumbled past some decent opponents this season only to get knocked out in the next round by someone ranked lower than the player he's just beat. Presume Nishikori is his quarter, he could easily lose that. Semi would be an excellent outcome for someone who's had his problems, it's a question of consistency and he's lacked it big time this year obviously if he can reproduce that performance throughout he's going to be in contention but if he string good performances together itll be one of the first times he's done it all year.

Heard in in passing it probably winner of John Isner match next and he normally beats him if he's blind folded with one hand tied behind his back so should be no problems on Monday but you ever know.

10 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Murray has found some form which is good. Still to beat Wawrinka or Nadal on this surface he will need to be at his absolute best, I believe those two are the only ones who can beat him now.

I think there's a few on the opposite side of the draw who could easily beat him.....they aren't realistically going to get past nadal in this form though.....though I guess thiem did him recently and Djokovic is obviously capable 

3 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I'd not say so actually, he's stumbled past some decent opponents this season only to get knocked out in the next round by someone ranked lower than the player he's just beat. Presume Nishikori is his quarter, he could easily lose that. Semi would be an excellent outcome for someone who's had his problems, it's a question of consistency and he's lacked it big time this year obviously if he can reproduce that performance throughout he's going to be in contention but if he string good performances together itll be one of the first times he's done it all year.

Heard in in passing it probably winner of John Isner match next and he normally beats him if he's blind folded with one hand tied behind his back so should be no problems on Monday but you ever know.

On Clay though he has lost to quite a few players who are good on the surface. Overall performance wise going into the French wasn't very good but as you said yourself his performance today was really Murray at his best.

Isner or Khachanov. Khachanov already taken out Berdych, wouldn't surprise me if he beats Isner too, he has a one set lead. I wouldn't class Nishikori as much of a threat on Clay. A lot were looking at the potential Del Potro match as Murray's potential banana skin, now he's past it his draw doesn't look too bad now.

3 minutes ago, kingfox said:

On Clay though he has lost to quite a few players who are good on the surface. Overall performance wise going into the French wasn't very good but as you said yourself his performance today was really Murray at his best.

Isner or Khachanov. Khachanov already taken out Berdych, wouldn't surprise me if he beats Isner too, he has a one set lead. I wouldn't class Nishikori as much of a threat on Clay. A lot were looking at the potential Del Potro match as Murray's potential banana skin, now he's past it his draw doesn't look too bad now.

I don't think he'll have an issue in round 4 regardless. But then I didn't think he would in Australia and look how that turned out.

I don't think keis a terrible clay court player at all and murrays not beat a top ten player the entire season I don't think off top of my head, we are talking one or two at best in Qatar or Dubai. As I say it's a question of consistency and yeah was brilliant today but one swallow and all that. Take what I say as a commentary more than a prediction but if wakes up wrong at the minute he can be got at. 

Hes a very unpredictable player ATM.

Speaking personally I'd be a little apprehensive of a QF against Nishikori or Greasedasco on this surface given Murrays form this year, but it all comes down to which one of him shows up. If it's the one we saw against Del P, he should come through.

After that, anything more than a SF spot could probably be considered a bonus.

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Speaking personally I'd be a little apprehensive of a QF against Nishikori or Greasedasco on this surface given Murrays form this year, but it all comes down to which one of him shows up. If it's the one we saw against Del P, he should come through.

After that, anything more than a SF spot could probably be considered a bonus.

Nishikori hasn't exactly been making his way through the draw with ease this week tbf.

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Nishikori hasn't exactly been making his way through the draw with ease this week tbf.

That's true, and even if he had been I wouldn't peg him as someone who would give Murray a hard time...but given Murrays own form this year, now I honestly don't know.

Edited by leicsmac

Just now, leicsmac said:

That's true, an even if he had been I wouldn't peg him as someone who would give Murray a hard time...but given Murrays own form this year, now I honestly don't know.

We've seen in the past an off form Murray against a Nishikori playing really well can see the latter win. He's certainly got elements to his game to worry Murray if he's not at it. I just see them on different trajectories this week. Murray looks like he's finding something (obviously nowhere near the top of his game) whilst Nishikori is starting to struggle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

We've seen in the past an off form Murray against a Nishikori playing really well can see the latter win. He's certainly got elements to his game to worry Murray if he's not at it. I just see them on different trajectories this week. Murray looks like he's finding something (obviously nowhere near the top of his game) whilst Nishikori is starting to struggle.

Hopefully he has turned a corner.

I dont think people actually grasp how bad Murray has been this year though. He's lost to players very inferior to Kei Nishikori at Nearly every tournament.

19 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Has anyone ever tried to queue at Wimbledon?  What's it take? How likely to get in? My mum is 70 in July and loves it but the tickets online from agencies are ridiculous prices 

I have you must get there the day before if you want centre court or court 1 get there early. I camped for 3 days, and got on court 1 first and then centre court the day after. Wanted to watch Murray so fo do that I camped on the Wednesday to ensure I got a seat on the Friday... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Yeah he's going places, had a great clay court season even done nadal at last masters.

Murray and nishikori currently in a competition in who can look the most out of sorts. ?

Done both Murray and Nadal. Djokovic downed him though 6-0, 6-1 in Rome. Funny how we get such a turnaround from just under two weeks ago. Different pace of court and all that might of played into Thiem's hands but didn't expect him to destroy Novak like he did. Don't know how he'll fare at Wimbledon, his game suits Clay, don't think he suits Grass, a big hitter will probably take him out.

As for this current match Murray should of took the 3rd more comfortable than that. Nishikori doing better than I expected, thought Murray would take him out in three tight sets.

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

Done both Murray and Nadal. Djokovic downed him though 6-0, 6-1 in Rome. Funny how we get such a turnaround from just under two weeks ago. Different pace of court and all that might of played into Thiem's hands but didn't expect him to destroy Novak like he did. Don't know how he'll fare at Wimbledon, his game suits Clay, don't think he suits Grass, a big hitter will probably take him out.

As for this current match Murray should of took the 3rd more comfortable than that. Nishikori doing better than I expected, thought Murray would take him out in three tight sets.

Well quite but plenty of people have done Murray this season, nadal on clay is a massive scalp. Still young and inconsistent and yeh I'll be surprised if he's a contender at Wimbledon but will get better with age 

Nishikori has been dog at times lol yet still in the game. 

12 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Well quite but plenty of people have done Murray this season, nadal on clay is a massive scalp. Still young and inconsistent and yeh I'll be surprised if he's a contender at Wimbledon but will get better with age 

Nishikori has been dog at times lol yet still in the game. 

Everyone around Thiem's age is inconsistent ? If anyone around his age is to have a good run at Wimbledon I expect it to be Zverev or Kyrgios.

Thats that then, Murray in the Semis without too much hassle, closed that match out very well.

Would be fantastic if he beats Stan but I can't see it this year.

16 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Everyone around Thiem's age is inconsistent ? If anyone around his age is to have a good run at Wimbledon I expect it to be Zverev or Kyrgios.

Thats that then, Murray in the Semis without too much hassle, closed that match out very well.

Would be fantastic if he beats Stan but I can't see it this year.

Zvarev could, i dunno about nick he's obv got the tools for a good grass game but.......well he's mental state is dreadful.