Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

Just now, StanSP said:

Amazing day of tennis. Hope Nadal can pull it back tomorrow. Sensational shots played by both players so far.

It frustrates me to no end. Between 2006 - 2011, Rafa used to beat the breaks off Novak and there was just nothing the latter could do.

Then, from 2011 onwards, he just seems incredibly nervous every time they play and always seems to hand Djoko the advantage. I find it hard to fathom because he used to be so much better in almost every department. Still think he is the more talented though.

The match report in the Guardian last night said it would be harsh on Williams and Kerber for the unfinished match to resume at 1pm, potentially pushing their match back a bit?!

I'm pretty sure, assuming they have even a modicum of empathy, that they'd both view it as understandable knowing they haven't had to play the best of 5, not starting until after 8pm, then having to resume the match the following day, then having to play the final the day after that, etc, etc..

Again Wimbledon get it wrong. Regardless of the centre court roof, you don't have two Men's semi finals, in which there's every chance they go 5 sets, on the same court, on the same afternoon/evening.

I think there's every chance both men are exhausted for the final and that's just not good enough for the paying fans as well as the players.

Edited by Kendal Fox

Both players seems to be saving their energy now at the start of this final set with the possibility of it going on for much longer like the previous semi-final. Probably not that long as I hope Nadal will up the intensity again.

One shot I love of his which he seems to be using more is the sliced dropshot. He used it a lot in the French Open and seems to be using it more so now. It's a sexy shot for sure. 

3 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

The match report in the Guardian last night said it would be harsh on Williams and Kerber for the unfinished match to resume at 1pm, potentially pushing their match back a bit?!

I'm pretty sure, assuming they have even a modicum of empathy, that they'd both view it as understandable knowing they haven't had to play the best of 5, not starting until after 8pm, then having to resume the match the following day, then having to play the final the day after that, etc, etc..

Again Wimbledon get it wrong. Regardless of the centre court roof, you don't have two Men's semi finals, in which there's every chance they go 5 sets, on the same court, on the same afternoon/evening.

I think there's every chance both men are exhausted for the final and that's just not good enough for the paying fans as well as the players.

There's a lot of argument and counter argument. For example, if you start the semis earlier then you could potentially have 2 2hr matches.

Perhaps implement a rule whereby if the first semi doesnt finish by 5.30pm then it automatically starts on court 1 at 6pm.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

There's a lot of argument and counter argument. For example, if you start the semis earlier then you could potentially have 2 2hr matches.

Perhaps implement a rule whereby if the first semi doesnt finish by 5.30pm then it automatically starts on court 1 at 6pm.

Good point. But it's definitely ridiculous the way it is and I'm not sure we have any way of knowing how the 2nd semi final really would have gone had the players had an uninterrupted match yesterday.

Also, still going to affect the quality and possible winner of the final tomorrow. They need to address this once and for all.

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Nadal out :( 

I think he is more talented than Djokovic but seems unable to maintain the consistency to beat him anymore. Maybe his earlier victories over him were more down to him being in his prime than I thought.

Edited by Kendal Fox

3 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Serena was shit but Angie did everything right today, perfect performance from her, fully deserved and a likeable winner.

I find her more likeable than Serena.

On a separate note, I'm hating the attention being paid towards Serena ultimately having a baby and effectively going back to 'work' almost a year later. As if she's the first ever woman to do such a thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Was just watching the post match punditry. I didn't realise Kerber had won, I just thought Serena had lost 

Yeah I know. They do that with Federer as well which is annoying,

Also, you might remember (or not!) back in the day when Henman was playing, think he reached 4 Wimbledon semi-finals but lost all of them. But Sue Barker would spend the entire 15 minutes of his post-match defeats talking to the pundits about how he could have won, almost saying "Let's pretend Tim didn't really lose and convince ourselves that he actually won" but totally neglecting to talk about the guy that actually won!?

I'm a Brit but it used to do my head in, the lack of any balance whatsoever and good grace for the winner was embarrassing.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I find her more likeable than Serena.

On a separate note, I'm hating the attention being paid towards Serena ultimately having a baby and effectively going back to 'work' almost a year later. As if she's the first ever woman to do such a thing.

Likeable person with a likeable game, yes she's defensive but she's not a defensive bore like *cough* Wozniacki, *cough* Svitolina, she turns defense into attack better than anyone.

Always going to happen as it's Serena, today though just exposed her as being not ready, people getting wet because she made a Grand Slam final on fourth tournament back, her draw was made for her to have a good run; however as soon as a good player comes up against her who can defend...that happens.

Kim Clijsters did similar back in 09 and won the US Open on third tournament back, far more impressive. 

5 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Never seen anybody hit the ball as hard as Nadal does I don't think. 

I know, but it's a pity he couldn't convert that into the vital winners. I thought he had plenty of opportunities to seal vital breaks against Djokovic in that 5th set but frittered them away.

He actually won his half of the match more decisively with the larger break margins but ultimately blew it more than Djokovic won it.

1 minute ago, Kendal Fox said:

I know, but it's a pity he couldn't convert that into the vital winners. I thought he had plenty of opportunities to seal vital breaks against Djokovic in that 5th set but frittered them away.

He actually won his half of the match more decisively with the larger break margins but ultimately blew it more than Djokovic won it.

Yeah, it kinda feels a little bit like he lost it rather than Djokovic won it.

Shame, I really like watching Nadal.

In other news, Djokovic seems to be a bit more mardy and smacked arse this year for some reason?