Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

52 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Yeah, it kinda feels a little bit like he lost it rather than Djokovic won it.

Shame, I really like watching Nadal.

In other news, Djokovic seems to be a bit more mardy and smacked arse this year for some reason?

Ha ha, this last 4 or 5 years since they've been playing the 2nd half of their "rivalry" it always seems to feel like Nadal losing it rather than Djoko winning, though perhaps I'm being a bit harsh on Djokovic. But not long after he beat Federer in the Wimbledon final of 2008, I seem to remember Nadal figuring out Novak in a similar way to how he figured Federer out and he seemed to always beat him convincingly for the next few years until 2011-ish. I know overall he has less wins, but I think Rafa still leads in their Slam final head to heads.

I also agree that Djokovic has developed an air of unlikeability, almost like you say a mean spirited, mardiness.

At the risk of contradicting myself, because I've said I don't really like the 6' 6" plus giants that rely on serve all the time, but I hope Anderson wins tomorrow, because I feel for him after that torturous match and how gracious he was post-match. Moreover, would be nothing short of amazing if he could pull of the win given how many 5 setters he's played!

Edited by Kendal Fox

19 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Shame Rafa lost. I think Novak has a sort of psychological hold over Nadal these days for whatever reason. Anyway, good for the sport Novak seems to be nearing being back on top of his game. An underrated genius who doesn't get the credit he deserves

I admit I probably don't give Novak the credit he deserves. I guess it's all a matter of opinion but I've always liked Rafa's style more than Fed, Novak or Murray, just think he was the most enigmatic and explosive, but with an almost mild (compared to the other 3) but very unorthordox serve that confused his opponent more than anything.

But I agree with you that Novak seems to have a psychological grip on Nadal in recent years. Can't quite fathom what else it could be, but Rafa certainly used to appear the more talented of the two back in 2007 - 2011 anwyay.

Edited by Kendal Fox

Why didn't the BBC just put the whole of the men's final in bbc 2 instead of switching halfway through. Seems like a daft decision if they were always (and quite rightly) going to put the World Cup final on BBC 1.

I wouldn't say Nadal is more talented than Djokovic, nor that he "figured out" Djokovic or Federer. Nadal has a massive natural advantage over Federer with that lefty topspin forehand into a single handed backhand which he can keep pounding until it breaks down.

Nadal was at or near his peak at 19/20 years of age. Took Djokovic until he was 23/24, but Djokovic's peak was something extraordinary, with that 2011 season perhaps being the greatest level of consistent, yet relentless tennis ever seen. I'd say that had more to do with levelling head to head records rather than psychology.

I rate them equal in terms of mentality and ability with both being slightly mentally stronger, but significantly less talented than Federer.

Got this on the tablet whilst watching the world cup final, so not watching with my full attention. Anderson seems to have settled now and is making inroads into Djokovic's serve. Can't see him turning it round, but he's making a game of it.

1 hour ago, martyn said:

I wouldn't say Nadal is more talented than Djokovic, nor that he "figured out" Djokovic or Federer. Nadal has a massive natural advantage over Federer with that lefty topspin forehand into a single handed backhand which he can keep pounding until it breaks down.

Nadal was at or near his peak at 19/20 years of age. Took Djokovic until he was 23/24, but Djokovic's peak was something extraordinary, with that 2011 season perhaps being the greatest level of consistent, yet relentless tennis ever seen. I'd say that had more to do with levelling head to head records rather than psychology.

I rate them equal in terms of mentality and ability with both being slightly mentally stronger, but significantly less talented than Federer.

I say that because of the amount of crunch breaks Nadal used to convert against Novak back in 2007 - 2011 to the amount now in which he seems to fritter away.

Again, watching the semi on Friday/Saturday Nadal won his sets more decisively than Djokovic, then in the 5th had opportunities in several games to break and then serve for the match yet blew it. Of course some of that was the pressure he was under, but even so, the Nadal of 7 or 8 years ago managed to convert half those chances to forge a path to victory.

Just my opinion but I felt that Nadal looked the better of the two players, yet still lost.

28 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

All over. Djokovic wins in 3. 

Oh well. can't say I'm surprised or particularly pleased.

I know it sounds a bit mean spirited but Djokovic's behaviour on court and his belligerence in various interviews has put me off him. Federer and Nadal, even when they lose just seem to show so much more grace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Osaka on the brink of beating Williams to the US Open.

Williams got a coaching violation earlier and started screaming at the umpire, including saying "I have a daughter." Wft does that have to do with you cheating lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingfox said:

That final was dramatic lol

That was worse than Serena vs Stosur lol

Congrats to Naomi though, great personality, big game and has a great mindset.

I just can't over the daughter line. So he should give her the point back because she's a mum. **** off Serena, you're not the first woman to give birth.

Oh yeah and then she threw in the sexism card. Was just waiting on her claiming it was because she's black to complete the hat trick lol

Edited by Facecloth

21 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I just can't over the daughter line. So he should give her the point back because she's a mum. **** off Serena, you're not the first woman to give birth.

Oh yeah and then she threw in the sexism card. Was just waiting on her claiming it was because she's black to complete the hat trick lol

Hilarious antics but I do think the deduction of a game for abuse was harsh, no doubt she played the sexism card but she's right to some extent, I've seen male players say much worse and not get pulled up on it.

Mouratoglou landed her in the shit which kicked it all off, if anyone needs verbal abuse from her it's him.

Only thing Serena done well tonight was her post match interview.

Feel extremely sorry for Naomi, she's as sweet as they come, hopefully this doesn't affect her mindset going forward.

Serena seems like a lovely individual. :rolleyes:  Gotta laugh at her jumping for the sexism card when the only person benefiting from it is... another woman.  Shameful behaviour and you have to feel for Osaka having such a huge personal moment ruined by her opponent's ego and lack of class.

:blink:

The sexist card...to be fair to her she does have a point, I've seen the likes of Kyrgios, Sock, Fognini, Verdasco say much worse, yet the umpire lets it go. Seen a few other clips of the umpire Ramos and it seems he is stricter than other umpires, he is like the Pierluigi Collina of Tennis lol doesn't take any bullshit which of course is a good thing.

Serena blew everything out of proportion starting with the cheating incident. Ramos never classed her as a cheat, she didn't cheat, Mouratoglou cheated, the problem lies with Mouratoglou, he deserves the verbal abuse not Ramos. Other players in that situation would've told their box to shut up and accept the violation, Serena being Serena has other ideas and goes on a massive breakdown rant again:facepalm: