Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

29 minutes ago, MattP said:

This is a bit silly, no one is threatened by this, all I asked you (and PR) for was any actual evidence she was being treated differently to male players, still as of yet no one has given a single example. 

There isn't any so we've had to resort to this line of attack. The quest for victimhood is one of the strangest things going. (That's certainly not race or gender based either as white men are just as culpable in seeking it)

I watch a lot of tennis, and have wracked my brains trying to think of an example just to play devils advocate and can't think of one.

Kyrigos get's put through the wringer every-time he steps out of line. If anything I'd say some of the reprimands he's had seem harsh compared to Serena's. They have threatened to remove him from the tour altogether at some points 

The thing that gets me if Serena's coach openly admits he was coaching with the defense of "everyone does it"  where as she is saying they never communicate. The fact they don't even have their stories straight says it all in terms of the first offense, it was definitely a racket abuse offense, and I am pretty sure calling someone a thief and a liar is deformation.

It is sad sorry sign of of the time we live in that there are people out there who actually back her and try and demonise a man who just did his job properly.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

It is sad sorry sign of of the time we live in that there are people out there who actually back her and try and demonise a man who just did his job properly.

It's appalling, but expected.

Unfortunately because of it Serena will now escape the extra punishment that should also come with such behaviour. 

The real victim though is Osaka, whose greatest moment ended up with her crying because the crowd booed the ceremony, which again is the fault of Serena Williams. 

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Unfortunately because of it Serena will now escape the extra punishment that should also come with such behaviour. 

The real victim though is Osaka, whose greatest moment ended up with her crying because the crowd booed the ceremony, which again is the fault of Serena Williams. 

Well I'd say Ramos is myself as he is now being made out to be everything from a sexist to a desperate attention seeker after giveing three decades of his life the sport and being one of the most respected umpires on the tour. 

However I do feel for Osaka especially as she was comfortably winning when this all kicked off anyway. I'd like to think she has apologised to her at least though I haven't seen it mentioned in the news yet.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

43 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I watch a lot of tennis, and have wracked my brains trying to think of an example just to play devils advocate and can't think of one.

Kyrigos get's put through the wringer every-time he steps out of line. If anything I'd say some of the reprimands he's had seem harsh compared to Serena's. They have threatened to remove him from the tour altogether at some points 

The thing that gets me if Serena's coach openly admits he was coaching with the defense of "everyone does it"  where as she is saying they never communicate. The fact they don't even have their stories straight says it all in terms of the first offense, it was definitely a racket abuse offense, and I am pretty sure calling someone a thief and a liar is deformation.

I know, Serena has played everyone like a lead guitarist playing a Fender Strat... This despite the numerous examples of her being dishonest and contradicting herself in the post match press conference, totally unchallenged by any of the journalists present, surprise, surprsise..

But unfortunately the fact Mouratoglou and Williams don't have their story straight doesn't matter in the abyss of (anti) social media.

They need a sacrifice and Ramos is it, no matter that he has been consistent with both genders over the course of his career and that he was NEVER actually "called a thief" by a male player as Serena states. But again, it shows how people ignore what their eyes are telling them due to social media bullying.

Edited by Kendal Fox

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Yes, and the $17, 000 fine she has to pay will be hugely outstripped by the inevitable Nike deal which will basically read something like "Don't let the bastards grind you down..." whilst simultaneously condoning the fact she grinds down anyone that challenges her behaviour.

Edited by Kendal Fox

Quote from Serena (at the press conference) - "For me to say ‘thief,’ and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark. He’s never taken a game from a man because they said ‘thief’."

I'm confused. What "sexist remark" is she talking about? He didn't say anything, it was her who made the remark.

Or is she insinuating, that if a woman makes a personal attack against a man and that man then defends himself by challenging her behaviour, he's sexist?? The essence of that is to advocate the right to attack someone with impunity, surely??

Edited by Kendal Fox

54 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

Yes, and the $17, 000 fine she has to pay will be hugely outstripped by the inevitable Nike deal which will basically read something like "Don't let the bastards grind you down..." whilst simultaneously condoning the fact she grinds down anyone that challenges her behaviour.

Not sure we can equate the circumstances behind the Kaepernick/Nike deal with this tbh, even if Nike are engaging in a bout of $$$-chasing (which of course they are) they're also highlighting a legitimate problem there.

The whole thing is a mess, initiated by Williams herself. Or let's say, her coach started it all by instructing her with hand gestures (and later openly admitting he just did that exactly), then her denial that it wasn't an instruction (even though it was), which in itself is a lie, a lie born out of necessity/circumstance.

Then the crushed racket followed by wild, bizarre accusations.

She was desperately trying to save face, in which she has failed.

Serena Williams doesn't "fight for women", she fights for her$$elf. She is just as much a pawn in the game, as all the "victims" used by the Left mostly in order to generate the image of the US as a sexist, racist, bigoted, backward-oriented, deteriorating country. In some aspects it is, in others, it isn't.

I feel for Osaka, triumphing over your idol who's throwing such tantrums on the pitch. Williams is an ungrateful loser with a history of personal abuse aimed at officials.

In that regard, I admire Federer for his personality. Yes, he did have a phase where he was more outspoken and angry when he was younger, but he's matured massively and takes a defeat on the chin.

At age 36, Williams still can't do that, still behaves in childish ways, trying to sway the public opinion in her favour with the race and sexist card. That's pathetic. Men are just as much reprimanded, any male tennis player with that foul language would've been hit with a penalty. I wonder what'd happen if we were to really investigate Williams' use of forbidden substances in order to stimulate muscle growth or maintain her physique. I mean, Lance Armstrong was able to get by for so long... :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Not sure we can equate the circumstances behind the Kaepernick/Nike deal with this tbh, even if Nike are engaging in a bout of $$$-chasing (which of course they are) they're also highlighting a legitimate problem there.

I agree there is and always has been a big problem with race/inequality and would never overlook that.

But obviously there's an element of humour to my post, and given the one-sided nature of the way this particular incident is being reported, it really wouldn't surprise me if Nike did blur the lines between the Kaepernick thing and Serena vs Ramos, as you say simply to exploit the situation for money, whilst masquerading as white knights (pardon the pun).

Edited by Kendal Fox

7 hours ago, MattP said:

Here's a few examples if Ramos being sexist to the fellas...

http://news.sky.com/story/serena-williams-isnt-the-first-tennis-player-umpire-carlos-ramos-has-upset-11494215

How do you think a male player would have been treated had he threatened to ram a tennis ball down a female officials throat? She's actually been treated very leniantly over the years because of her profile.

I haven't said she was right, I was stating that that's not the only discussion.

12 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

At age 36, Williams still can't do that, still behaves in childish ways, trying to sway the public opinion in her favour with the race and sexist card. That's pathetic.

It is, but you have to read through the last couple of pages here to see it can work, many people are still prepared to indulge her and rather than look at evidence, logic and realise that it's complete nonsense.

5 hours ago, MattP said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/umpires-may-boycott-serena-williams-matches-after-outburst-at-us-open-final-fwgv97swz

Hopefully she will eventually see sense and apologise as they last thing the sport needs is a stand off between the players and umpire.

£370 for Ramos to take all this shit, why do they bother?

The cartoon you posted above is now racist and sexist now as well apparently. lol 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Apparently we're now all not just sexist but racist too for thinking she behaved disgracefully.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45476500

I'm just glad there are athletes around like Serena so we can be told about the myth of angry black women.

My line of the week from Charlotte Gill in today's Times - "What made matters worse was Williams’s behaviour afterwards. At the post-match press conference she indulged in a rant so self-pitying that it deserved its own Ken Loach film." lol

The sad thing is Serena has the potential to be a massively respected role model in society but has crawled so far up her own arse, especially in the past year, that when she doesnt get her way, its the world's fault and the world is sexist / racist / against mothers, etc.

What a nasty piece of work she is.

Edited by Nalis

Wonder why venus isn't treated the same way as her. She is black And a women after all. Hhmmm.

Some few quotes I found interesting. 

""Black women are not supposed to push back and when they do, they're deemed to be domineering. Aggressive. Threatening. Loud."

There is truth to that in other cases. It depends on how you see pointing a finger, screaming, calling umpires cheats" and threatening to shove a ball down someone else's throat. 

In the case of Williams, she was first dinged on a coaching violation that happens often but is rarely called out as the player's fault.

"Why would a black woman in a championship match therefore be called on it?" Prof Jones says, adding that an attack on one's integrity is only natural to be angry about.

Didn't Serena attack the integrity of the umpire by calling him a cheat? 

"Black women should be celebrated for not being completely consumed by anger,"

As does native American women, Latino women, Arab women, Jewish women, Asian women... Etc. If you put enough effort, you can make an excuse for the behaviour of every person on earth. But that doesn't mean they are right or have the right to an undeserved laxury. 

"Men are allowed to be angry as a performance of masculinity" 

No, they are not. Men don't have coupons that they can use to be aggressive and get away with it.

"White women are allowed to be angry as a clarion call. So black women should be encouraged to express their anger as well, particularly in the face of injustice."

Again, not true. You can't say I'm strong, I want equality just to turn around and play the position of a victim. Life is not a buffet that you can pick and chose from. 

She created a self-fulfilling prophecy, ie. something that people with a case of victim mentality tend to do. They have a delusion that certain group of people had it for them, so their actions cause it to happen. She says that she's not an angry person, yet she acts that way. She says that people should fight stereotypes, yet she potrays them. She say that she hates being compared to a man yet she compairs herself to them every chance she gets. She says that she is a strong women yet demands the shield of a victim. Humorous. 

Edited by the fox
  • Like 3

https://bbc.in/2CLPkBT

What are the rules?

According to ITF Grand Slam rules:

Verbal abuse is defined as a statement about an official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or other person that implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise.

Abuse of racquets or equipment is defined as intentionally, dangerously and violently destroying or damaging racquets.

Players shall not receive coaching during a match (including the warm-up). Communications of any kind, audible or visible, between a player and a coach may be construed as coaching.

What does the data show?

During the 2018 Grand Slams, more fines were given out to men.

We don't have the data to test the accusation that umpires fail to punish some angry outbursts made by a man, but penalise a woman for a similar type of angry rant.

During the four Grand Slam tournaments in 2018 - Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open - 85 fines for code violations were issued to men.

• 33 for abuse of racquet or equipment
  • 16 for audible obscenity
  • 16 for "unsportsmanlike" conduct
  • 9 for coaching
  • 2 for first round retirement
  • 7 for start of match time, time violation, delay of game
  • 2 for verbal abuse

There were fewer issued to women - 43.

• 13 for coaching
  • 10 for audible obscenity
  • 10 for abuse of racquet or equipment
  • 5 for "unsportsmanlike" conduct
  • 3 for start of match time, time violation, delay of game
  • 1 for media conference
  • 1 for verbal abuse

Men play more sets at major tournaments so are on court for longer and that might lead to more infractions, or give them more time to lose their cool.

To account for the longer game time, you could work out how many fines were issued per set. So, take the US Open singles' tournament. Then include fines for in-play violations and exclude retirement and the time and game delay violations.

In the women's singles tournament that's 11 fines in 297 sets, which amounts to 0.037 fines per set.

It's slightly higher for men - 21 fines in 460 sets, which amounts to 0.046 fines per set.

So, once these factors have been taken into account, there's no evidence that women were fined more often than men per set during the 2018 US Open.

However, these calculations don't take into account whether umpires are more likely to punish female players than men for a similar outburst during a match.